2025 5* QB Deuce Knight (Notre Dame)

toddc

2 hours ago, Viper said:

Yes he was. He was the #2 ranked QB in the nation. 

Yessir. But back then, fans didn't expect a 5 star to come in and be Tom Brady immediately. And most of the star watchers would have been ready to dump him after his sophomore year. 

Edited by JuscAUse!

22 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

Yessir. But back then, fans didn't expect a 5 star to come in and be Tom Brady immediately. And most of the star watchers would have been ready to dump him after his sophomore year. 

That’s exactly what I alluded to earlier in this thread…

In today’s era, if a 5-star QB hasn’t shown out by Year 3, he’s the issue and/or he’s moved on.

Yes, Campbell had some good moments in 2002 under Petrino (as compared to 2001 & 2003), but at season’s end, was 63% with an 11/5 TD/INT ratio.

Knight won’t be here in Year 4 with those type numbers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

And again, it’s whatever but I don’t think we should be calling Deuce a 5 star unless it’s pretty much consensus from the sites (like a Juju). Auburn has rarely ever gotten 5 star QBs. When we have, they’ve accomplished pretty monumental things. Not a thing to claim on technicality.

I say potato, you say potato on this one.

Why are we even discussing this unless you're referring to an unanimous 5 star or what On3 calls a 5 star plus, which currently is only the top 9 prospects in the country. JuJu is not a unanimous 5-star BTW (see below).  

• On ON3, Deuce is no. 28 nationally, as long as he doesn't slide 5 spots, that'll be a 5* in On3's final rankings. 
  • He's right on the border between 4* & 5* on both Rivals & 247. If he moves up a couple of spots, he'll be a 5* on those rankings and potentially could still be if he keeps his current national ranking.
  • Literally every team boasts a 5* composite as a 5 star including us in our past classes. I don't remember any of our recent past 5 stars being 5 star plus except Cam Coleman (and maybe Cowart?). Most have been a 5* on 1-2 of the major rankings and a 5* composite, which is where JuJu currently is and where it seems Deuce will end up.  

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by HAPvsOA

10 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

We didn't care about it cause we hardly ever got any. Our way of coping😁

Any time you hear “stars don’t matter” it’s never a good sign. Will never forget hearing it all spring and summer of 2008, specifically someone saying that some 2* we signed was better than Julio Jones. 😆 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

Any time you hear “stars don’t matter” it’s never a good sign. Will never forget hearing it all spring and summer of 2008, specifically someone saying that some 2* we signed was better than Julio Jones. 😆 

Yep.  Every team needs some of those 3-star guys who outwork everyone and have a chip on their shoulder.  And finding an overlooked gem is a sign of a great talent evaluator.  But championship programs that stay in contention on a consistent basis are stocked with mostly 4-star and some 5-star kids.  That's the bulk of the roster.  The stats on teams that make the CFB playoffs and players that make it to the league bear that out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

And again, it’s whatever but I don’t think we should be calling Deuce a 5 star unless it’s pretty much consensus from the sites (like a Juju).

@AUght2win We have always used the 247 Composite or On3 Consensus rankings for thread titles since those rankings are the fairest rankings out there in that they average the rankings of all 4 sites. You are welcome to your opinion but we will continue to use composite or consensus rankings for thread titles. Also Juju is not a consensus 5* anymore do to a relatively poor showing at the elite 11. He's still a 5* on the composite & On3 concensus because Rivals & ESPN are holding him up for now. It won't take much of a drop on 1 or 2 of the sites for Deuce to pass him in the rankings.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, AUwent said:

FFS would you want him at AU if he was only a 4 star? Geesh.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Viper said:

As you alluded to earlier, the only ones have been Campbell, Cam & Nix. The one common trait among all three players is it took them at least their 4th year in college to play like one.

That might be more related to Auburn than them.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

@AUght2win We have always used the 247 Composite or On3 Consensus rankings for thread titles since those rankings are the fairest rankings out there in that they average the rankings of all 4 sites. You are welcome to your opinion but we will continue to use composite or consensus rankings for thread titles. Also Juju is not a consensus 5* anymore do to a relatively poor showing at the elite 11. He's still a 5* on the composite & On3 concensus because Rivals & ESPN are holding him up for now. It won't take much of a drop on 1 or 2 of the sites for Deuce to pass him in the rankings.

That’s fine. It’s honestly not a complaint or asking to change it. Just my opinion on how prospects are discussed. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

Fan’s will fan 

Y'all need to stop taking harmless opinions as negativity. Obviously this has nothing to do with Deuce as a player or person, and of course I want him here. It’s not even really about him. More about how player rankings are discussed.

Quarterback is the most important position in sports. A 5 star rating the rarest and highest you could give a prospect. Combine those two facts and it means a 5 star QB is a monumentally big deal. I just don’t think it’s honest to say anyone currently views Deuce as that.

Like I said, we’ve only had 3 five star QBs in history. All three were first round draft picks. Two led us to perfect seasons and SEC titles. One won the Heisman. When you tell me 5 star QB, I start thinking “program changer, Heisman caliber, title contender” etc. 

I think of Deuce much the same way I did of Walker White. Very, very good players with lots of potential. Definite takes. Guys who could do all the above mentioned things, but aren’t on course to be first round draft picks. 

If y’all feel he’s that level of a player, I love it. I want to hear more from your vantage point. I just haven’t heard that anywhere to this point about DK. If he does start getting some of these services to upgrade him, though, I could see the hype skyrocketing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Y'all need to stop taking harmless opinions as negativity. Obviously this has nothing to do with Deuce as a player or person, and of course I want him here. It’s not even really about him. More about how player rankings are discussed.

Quarterback is the most important position in sports. A 5 star rating the rarest and highest you could give a prospect. Combine those two facts and it means a 5 star QB is a monumentally big deal. I just don’t think it’s honest to say anyone currently views Deuce as that.

Like I said, we’ve only had 3 five star QBs in history. All three were first round draft picks. Two led us to perfect seasons and SEC titles. One won the Heisman. When you tell me 5 star QB, I start thinking “program changer, Heisman caliber, title contender” etc. 

I think of Deuce much the same way I did of Walker White. Very, very good players with lots of potential. Definite takes. Guys who could do all the above mentioned things, but aren’t on course to be first round draft picks. 

If y’all feel he’s that level of a player, I love it. I want to hear more from your vantage point. I just haven’t heard that anywhere to this point about DK. If he does start getting some of these services to upgrade him, though, I could see the hype skyrocketing.

It seems Longstreet was the first and primary want.  I would have been thrilled with him.  But … it seems the majority cruitin service guys see DK as having the highest “potential” upside with Longstreet a super close second.  They all believe juju is the most ready now.  IMHO none of these freshman would see the field next year and possibly the year after.  I don’t think juju would stick around that long.  It seems DK knows he needs some time to improve and therefore will probably give it the time necessary.  Also seems his family carries less drama which may work well for a kid who needs a couple years of patience.

so the highest upside kid, freakishly athletic and nfl size, who knows it’ll take some time with a solid family … give me DK as our future.  Side bonus is it appears he’s really been making a name in the camps.  So if he is already around the 30th best player in this class before this summer’s improvements, we may actually be getting a blue chip steal - if that can even be said about a kid ranked as high as him.

• Like 7

20 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

Yep

Even Tom Brady wasn’t Tom Brady to begin with 👍

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Great post and I’ll say again…

The one common trait among all three players is it took them at least their 4th year in college to play like one (5-star).

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Viper said:

The one common trait among all three players is it took them at least their 4th year in college to play like one (5-star).

I’d argue Cam was always Cam. He just was unfortunately behind a legend at Florida. He went to Blinn and was Cam, then at Auburn too. There was never a “light coming on” change like with Nix and J Camp

4 hours ago, Viper said:

True but that's changing more and more every year with how advanced high school offenses are getting.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

True but that's changing more and more every year with how advanced high school offenses are getting.

Correct and furthers my previous point that now, if a 5-star QB can’t make it by year 3 in college, he’s considered the issue. 

3 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I’d argue Cam was always Cam. He just was unfortunately behind a legend at Florida. He went to Blinn and was Cam, then at Auburn too. There was never a “light coming on” change like with Nix and J Camp

We’ll never know due to Tebow 07 & 08.

Now Wiltfong & JLee don't ecpect Deuce to flip til sometime in September. And not meaning this weekend. FWIW both are even more confident than ever thst AU gets him.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Now Wiltfong & JLee don't ecpect Deuce to flip til sometime in September. And not meaning this weekend. FWIW both are even more confident than ever thst AU gets him.

Odd. Most recruits want it out of the way prior to their season or wait till their season is over.

FWiW Tom Loy said he would be surprised if Deuce isn't flipped to AU by the end of the weekend.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ellitor said:

FWiW Tom Loy said he would be surprised if Deuce isn't flipped to AU by the end of the weekend.

I guess flipping to AU and announcing he is flipping to AU could be 2 different things 

• Like 1