Rolling Toomers

Win4AU

The trees are healthy enough to resume the tradition.  Good thing Harvey is dead.  At least I think he’s dead.

• Love 1

yahoo.com

Let's roll: Auburn announces two main oak trees at Toomer's Corner can be rolled

Richard Silva, Montgomery Advertiser
2–3 minutes

AUBURN — Auburn fans are ready to rock and roll.

The university announced Tuesday that the two main oak trees at Toomer's Corner are ready to be rolled. Auburn had previously requested that the trees, which were originally planted in 2017, be left alone during celebrations so that they may grow properly.

“Both trees have made excellent progress since planting took place six years ago and are now considered to have recovered from transplant stress,” Auburn University arborist Alex Hedgepath said in a statement. “Because of the Auburn Family’s commitment, the trees are now established and can withstand rolling and cleanup efforts after Auburn athletic victories. With continued care, we expect the trees to grow vigorously and become further established.”

CALEB BURTON III: What transfer WR has done to stand out at Auburn football's fall camp

TUESDAY OBSERVATIONS: Jeremiah Wright with the first group and other takeaways from Auburn football practice

The tradition of rolling Toomer's Oaks began decades ago when employees of Toomer's Drugstore would throw telegraph paper over the power lines at the corner to communicate with the townspeople that Auburn had won.

The telegraph paper changed to toilet paper after the 1972 Iron Bowl, better known in Auburn circles as "Punt, Bama, Punt." After the Tigers beat the Crimson Tide, members of the Auburn faithful grabbed toilet paper and decorated the trees.

"The rolling of Toomer’s Corner is one of the nation’s top sports traditions,” Auburn president Christopher Roberts said. “Our fans have come together for decades on the corner of Magnolia and College to celebrate our big wins. In recent years, we continued our cherished tradition by rolling different trees, but I am very excited that the Auburn Family will once again be able to roll our most prominent trees.”

Richard Silva is the Auburn athletics beat writer for the Montgomery Advertiser. He can be reached via email at rsilva@gannett.com or on Twitter @rich_silva18.

This article originally appeared on Montgomery Advertiser: Toomer's Corner: Auburn's two main oak trees may be rolled again

I never knew they swapped telegraph paper for toilet paper. 68 sunday and this is the first i have ever heard of this..................