8.8.23 Football Articles

aubiefifty

yahoo.com

Who will be Auburn football's starting QB? Everything Philip Montgomery said about the race

Richard Silva, Montgomery Advertiser
5–6 minutes

AUBURN — Auburn football offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery has some input, too.

We've heard plenty from coach Hugh Freeze about AU's quarterback competition this offseason, but Montgomery is another key decision-maker in the process. After all, Freeze made it known that he hired the former Tulsa coach to call plays. It's his offense as much as it is Freeze's.

"I've been pleased with their progression and what they're doing," Montgomery said of the QBs Monday. "I think they're understanding what we're trying to do offensively a little bit more, especially the little unique parts of it. We've still got a long way to go before we figure out who's going to be our starting quarterback, but I think all of them have shown flashes.

"We've got to be a little bit more consistent. ... But you know, there's so many factors that go into being a quarterback. And it's not just about where you're throwing it or hitting the deep ball or working through your progression. There's the leadership side of it, and you've got to control all of those factors. We're still a long ways to go before we figure out who that's going to be."

TOPPMEYER: Hugh Freeze performs a resurrection. Auburn football recruiting back from grave

FALL CAMP: Keionte Scott, Auburn football veteran DBs focused on trying to 'bring our freshmen up'

Michigan State transfer Payton Thorne

Montgomery, along with the rest of the staff, has gotten the opportunity to get eyes on Payton Thorne in a practice setting for the first time this fall. The Tigers have only had four practices since beginning preseason camp Aug. 2, but the Michigan State transfer has already left an impact.

"You want to talk about a guy who is professional about the way he goes after his work? He's another guy you have to run out of the building," Montgomery said of Thorne. "He's always watching tape. He's always studying. He'll text me, 'Hey, what do I read on this? What do I read on that? I saw this on tape, how are we progressing through this?' He wants to be on top of every detail that is involved in our offense.

"And he's seeing things right now at a really good rate. You've gotta remember, he wasn't here in the spring. Some of the things that he's picked up on, we've gotta get everybody else around that to be on the same page with him. But I think he's done a great job with his leadership. He's disciplined, and he's professional about what he does."

Auburn offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery during practice at the Woltosz Football Performance Center on Aug. 3.

Auburn offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery during practice at the Woltosz Football Performance Center on Aug. 3.

Incumbent starter Robby Ashford

Montgomery has been pleased with the strides incumbent starter Robby Ashford has taken in the passing game. The former Oregon transfer has always been elite as a runner, but he finished 2022 with a 49.2% completion percentage.

"I honestly think Robby has thrown the ball better this fall camp," Montgomery said. "I've seen him progress in that manner. He's hit a good sum of deep balls. He's been a little more consistent on his underneath stuff. And that's an area where he wants to improve. He's got a big arm. But it's the consistency of the fundamentals that kind of go into that part of it.

"He's worked really hard on that. I think he's really operated. He does a really good job of trying to lead and be positive and do the things that we're asking him to do. He comes out, and he loves competing. So he's gonna come out and compete every day. When he pulls it down, you better hold on, because he can do some things with it. But I think his biggest progression has been in the throwing side of it."

Redshirt freshman Holden Geriner

Not to be forgotten is redshirt freshman Holden Geriner, who has been impressing through the early part of fall camp as potentially Auburn's best deep-ball passer.

“I think he is a natural thrower," Montgomery said. "The ball just zips off of his hands. He stands tall in the pocket. I think he’s doing a really good job of working through his progression, putting his eyes in the right spot and not hanging too long. I think he has the ability to do some things with his feet (and) be able to get outside when things break down.

"But the best part of his game is mentally being on point with what he’s got. Again, his arm is really natural when it comes off. He spins it tight. He can hit small windows. He can push the ball down the field. I think he does a great job of that.”

Richard Silva is the Auburn athletics beat writer for the Montgomery Advertiser. He can be reached via email at rsilva@gannett.com or on Twitter @rich_silva18.

This article originally appeared on Montgomery Advertiser: Auburn football OC Philip Montgomery gives his thoughts on his QBs

• Thanks 1

247sports.com

McLeod making an instant impact off the edge for Auburn defense

Jason Caldwell
6–7 minutes

• JOIN TODAY! 1st month of AuburnUndercover for ONLY $1

• Image Title

Auburn's Jalen McLeod has been impressive early in preseason camp.

AUBURN, Alabama—Listed at 6-1, 237, Appalachian State jack linebacker transfer Jalen McLeod was one of Auburn’s top targets when he went into the transfer portal and early in preseason camp he’s showing why. 

A player that made 76 total tackles and added nine sacks and 12.5 tackles for a loss in three seasons with the Mountaineers, McLeod showcased his skills against top competition, giving Auburn’s coaches a good idea of what to expect when he got on campus.

Coming in at a big position of need for the Tigers following the losses of Derick Hall and Eku Leota, McLeod has immediately shown up and made his teammates and coaches take notice of what he brings to the table.

“He brings the explosiveness and quickness off the edge that we need,” Auburn senior defensive lineman Marcus Harris said of McLeod. “Of course, we lost D-Hall last year, we lost Eku. But he's another guy who can step up and fill those shoes. I feel like he's going to be ready. He trains better than I've seen from a lot of other people. He trains hard, and he's quick off the ball. He's got a great first step, quick get-off. I'm excited to see what he does this season.”

Getting after the quarterback is one of the most important things a defense can do in this era of football, and it was a noticeable concern for Auburn in the spring following a season when the Tigers finished with 26 total sacks, but with 13 coming from Hall and fellow departed defensive lineman Colby Wooden. 

With Marcus Harris (2) and walk-on Hayden Brice (1) accounting for the three total sacks returning from last year’s team from defensive linemen, Auburn had to go find an answer coming off the edge. Coordinator Ron Roberts said they feel like they’ve found their guy in McLeod.

"He’s a special talent, especially when it comes time to pin it back and go rush," Roberts said of the transfer. "Now, we haven’t done any real third down stuff, so everything he’s done right now has really been sitting on first, second down, so he hasn’t had, really, the opportunities to do those. But he’s been very productive every practice really when he gets the opportunity to rush the quarterback. He did some things today. He’s got a good—His physical toolset is pretty amazing. He’s a very talented individual. We’ve just got to get on the right track and make sure I’m putting him in the right spots."

That's something that Roberts and Auburn will continue to figure out as they prepare for the first preseason scrimmage this Saturday. With both sides of the ball trying to find out exactly what they've got heading into the 2023 season, McLeod and the Auburn defense have a chance to make some early noise this weekend.

True freshman expected to be 'an impact player' this season

Auburn freshman Keldric Faulk continues to impress.

VIDEO: Auburn DL Marcus Harris talks early stages of preseason camp

AUBURN, Alabama—A huge recruiting win for Hugh Freeze and the Auburn Tigers after flipping from Florida State in December, 4-star defensive end Keldric Faulk was expected to help out this season at the jack linebacker position after playing at 6-6, 275 during the spring. Still recovering from an injury that limited his ability to do everything in the weight room in the winter, Faulk finally got back to work in the summer and the results have seen him continue to add size and make a position move in Ron Roberts’ defense.

“He played Jack most of the spring,” Roberts said of Faulk. “A lot of our four-down stuff, it’s the same thing. So he was doing it half the dag-gum time, so we moved him to end. He’s 290 pounds by the summertime, so he’s kind of filled that spot. He’s in there fighting for the job. I don’t know how it’s going to pan out the next couple of weeks, but he’s going to be an impact player for us this season.”

With Elijah McAllister on campus in the spring and wanting more help at the jack position, Auburn added Appalachian State transfer Jalen McLeod and Liberty transfer Stephen Sings over the summer to go along with true freshman Brenton Williams.

That, along with Faulk continuing to add size and strength, allowed the coaching staff to move the talented freshman to a position where his hand will be on the ground. While he did some of that at Highland Home, he also was a standup linebacker at times in addition to playing tight end, wide receiver and even wildcat quarterback.

Now he has to learn what it’s going to be like to play against offensive tackles in the Southeastern Conference. That’s where a guy like Marcus Harris can be very beneficial for the true freshman. Going through the learning process at Kansas and then having to get used to this level after transferring back home, Harris said Faulk has all the tools to be a great one before he’s done. That has already started because of the work done over the summer.

“He has raw talent,” Harris said. “He's just learning how to play within the defense. That's a big thing he did during the offseason. He learned how to fit into the defense and not just freelance. In high school, a lot of dudes are just told, 'do this.' And, probably, his defense was built around him in high school.

“Everything was based off of him. So, getting to college, he's recognizing that it's a team sport, and everybody's got their job. Everybody's got to be in their gap at the same time. That's been a very big improvement for him, just understanding his role in the defense.”

Auburn continues working towards Saturday’s first preseason scrimmage with the first full pad practice on Tuesday morning.

• Thanks 1

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Auburn's secondary is back, and stronger than ever

Taylor Jones

2–3 minutes

Everywhere you look, it seems that each position group has been upgraded thanks to the transfer portal. However, there is one group that will return most of its experienced players.

The defensive backfield at Auburn will have the most “homegrown” players heading into the 2023 season as players such as Nehemiah Pritchett, Zion Puckett, Keionte Scott, Jaylin Simpson, and D.J. James return. In fact, four of those five previously named players are among the Auburn defense’s top returning players.

Buy Tigers Tickets

Although this unit is the most experienced, they are still learning new things ahead of the season. Auburn’s secondary welcomes the new strategies and ideas set forth by defensive coordinator Ron Roberts and secondary coach Wesley McGriff to go along with the familiar style of safeties coach Zac Etheridge.

When it comes to McGriff and Etheridge, defensive back Keionte Scott compares their relationship to one of the NBA’s best duos of all time, Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O’Neal.

“Chemistry, They’ve got chemistry already,” Scott said. “You’ve got an old-school coach with more old-school tradition and you’ve got a new-school coach. Being able to merge those together — it’s crazy to see it sometimes.”

The unit appears to be meshing well with the new style, but what does that mean for expectations? Scott says that the transition has been easy, as the expectations for Auburn are considered to be low.

“Everyone knows we have one of the top groups in the country. Just being able to go to practice knowing that we’re not nowhere, we’re not anybody, we’re not ranked in the country, we’re not anything… Offensive coordinators around the country are going to know,” Scott said. “We just want to live in that. We want to let everyone know that there’s not going to be a person you can pick on in our DB group.”

Auburn’s projected rotation in the defensive backfield combined to make 248 stops last season and accounted for four interceptions.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. You can also follow Taylor on Twitter @TaylorJones__

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

si.com

Malik Autry talked about the "family environment" at Big Cat Weekend

Andrew Stefaniak

~3 minutes

Malik Autry discussed his time on the Plains at Big Cat Weekend.

Malik Autry is a four-star defensive lineman from Opelika, Alabama. 

Autry is six-foot-six and weighs 280-pounds.

He is currently Auburn's only commit in the 2025 class and has been committed since February 1st, 2023. 

Autry recently joined the Locked On Auburn Podcast and was asked about his experience at Big Cat Weekend.

Here was his response, "Oh, it was great. I got there early, about 10:30. I met with Hugh Freeze. That's probably my first time sitting out in his office. I committed at such a weird time. It was like February 1st; then, I came back in March for his spring practice. I never really got a chance to sit down with him. So big Cat weekend started out great. I sat down with him, had a good conversation just about me and him and how we're going to build this connection because on August 1st, you know, you can start communicating. So since August 1st, I've been communicating with him back and forth a lot, all the coaches in general. And then, you know, seeing all my, you know, you meet these different guys at different visits though when you start back in like eighth grade. So we all have a relationship, you know, seeing them, and everybody had a great time. They did a great job setting it up, you know, with the golf carts, the scavenger hunt, the pool party, it was all meant to have fun. I feel like it brought everybody together. You know, you talk about football and meetings and still a lot at every visit. So I feel like that was a great time to have everybody out there just having fun, like just forgetting the football part of it, but actually seeing what it's like to be in Auburn, you know, having them in the pool, the players, coaching, you know, throwing Freeze in the pool. It just seems like one big family."

I love hearing that Coach Freeze is creating a good family environment on the Plains, and it really seems like all the players had a good time at Big Cat Weekend.

Hopefully, some more talented players in the 2025 class will be joining Autry soon. I believe that Coach Freeze is going to put together a magical class in 2025. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

saturdaydownsouth.com

Ron Roberts shares high praise for true freshman Keldric Faulk on the Auburn defense

Keith Farner
2–3 minutes

Ron Roberts sees plenty of potential in true freshman Keldric Faulk, and noted that while Faulk is settling into a position, the defensive coordinator is confident of his contributions.

Roberts told reporters Monday that Faulk played Jack most of the spring, but it’s pretty much the same in Auburn’s 4-down alignment, and that’s part of the reason he was moved to defensive end.

“He was doing it half of the dadgum time, so we moved him to end… He’s in there right now fighting for the job,” Roberts said.

Jack at Auburn is an outside linebacker whose main priority is to rush the quarterback, but also possesses the ability to drop into coverage.

“I don’t know how it’s going to pan out, but he’s going to be an impact player for us this season,” Roberts said.

The former 4-star recruit out of Highland Home was a consensus top 15 player in the state of Alabama. He flipped from Florida State to Auburn on National Signing Day last cycle.

H/T Lance Dawe and Justin Ferguson.

TRENDING

58,148 READS

51,772 READS

23,016 READS

99cde5453b4db5d86b3a179990669fe7?s=100&d

A former newspaper veteran, Keith Farner is a news manager for Saturday Down South. Follow on Twitter.

• Like 1

theplainsman.com

Montgomery's new-look offense shows improvement, no separation in key battles - The Auburn Plainsman

6–8 minutes

As the new-look Auburn Tigers begin their second week of fall camp, offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery shared his thoughts on where his unit stands with under four weeks remaining until the opening game.

Montgomery’s offense features battles to start at many key positions including quarterback, offensive line and wide receiver. 

“For us, we’ve got a lot of battles going on for positions,” Montgomery said. “Whether you’re talking about receivers, whether you’re talking about guys up front, we’ve got a quarterback battle going on.”

The progress of the three-way quarterback battle featuring Payton Thorne, Robby Ashford and Holden Geriner was at the forefront of Montgomery’s questions as the staff will reduce first-team reps at signal caller after around five days of camp.

“I just want to see somebody take control and really take a step forward and separate themselves. That’s what you’re looking for in your quarterback position: a guy that’s going to lead, a guy that’s going to make plays,” Montgomery said. “He doesn’t have to be Superman but he does have to be consistent in his play, in his decision making and taking care of the football and then moving us down the field and staying ahead of the chains.”

Montgomery had positive things to say about each of the three frontrunners to take the starting quarterback job. When asked about Thorne, Montgomery praised his professionalism and leadership. The Michigan State transfer started for two seasons with the Spartans before transferring to Auburn.

“You want to talk about a guy who is professional in the way he goes about his work…He’s always watching tape, he’s always studying,” Montgomery said. “He wants to be on top of every detail that is involved in our offense and he’s seeing things right now at a really good rate…But I think he does a great job with his leadership. He’s disciplined and he’s professional about what he does.”

Ashford has shown improvement in his passing game, according to Montgomery. The incumbent starter completed passed for 1,613 yards and completed 49.2% of his passes in 2022.

“I honestly think Robby has thrown the ball better this fall camp,” Montgomery said. “I’ve seen him progress in that manner. You see a good sum of deep balls, he’s been a little more consistent on his underneath stuff and that’s an area that he wants to improve. And he’s got a big arm but it’s the consistency of the fundamentals that go into that part of it and he’s worked really hard on that.”

Geriner’s natural passing ability has impressed Montgomery. Montgomery, however, has also noticed a running ability that many did not see with Geriner before. Geriner is seen by his offensive coordinator as a mentally strong quarterback.

“I think (Geriner) is a natural thrower. The ball just zips out of his hand, stands tall in the pocket. I think he’s doing a really good job of working through his progression, putting his eyes in the right spot and not hanging in too long,” Montgomery said. “I think he has the ability to do some things with his feet, be able to get outside when things break down. But the best part of his game is mentally being on point with what he’s got.”

Though the quarterback position has headlined the position battles, an offense rich with newcomers features starting battles at many different places. The new-look offensive line, coached by Jake Thornton, is one of those positions. The group has made strides since spring ball, according to Montgomery.

“They’ve come a long way, and still are,” Montgomery said. “We’ve still got some new faces up there, guys that are working in. But playing offensive line is all about gelling as a unit. And we’ve got some great battles that are going on up front right now. And guys are feeling that pressure of ‘Hey, I’ve got to be on top of my game each and every day.’ But for us to do what we want to do offensively, those five guys have got to lead the way for us.”

The receiver room is also filled with newcomers, some of whom have stood out to Montgomery early in fall camp: Caleb Burton, Shane Hooks and Jyaire Shorter.

“I think all three of those guys are doing some really good things. You started with Caleb. I think he does have the ability to play inside out. He’s a really fluid natural route-runner,” Montgomery said. “When you start talking about Jyaire and Shane, I think both of those guys that day one, their head was spinning a little bit. And then I think they’ve settled in each and every day and you look at some of the plays they’ve made throughout the last couple of days, they’ve really started bringing some attention to themselves.”

Montgomery and his staff will continue to evaluate each position throughout fall camp and into practices for UMass. As fall camp is just underway, it could be some time before the Tigers can definitively name a starter for some key positions, but the improvement the players have made since spring has been encouraging for Montgomery.

Enjoy what you're reading? Get content from The Auburn Plainsman delivered to your inbox

Do you like this story? The Plainsman doesn't accept money from tuition or student fees, and we don't charge a subscription fee. But you can donate to support The Plainsman.

• Thanks 1

247sports.com

An 'electric' Jay Fair makes early strides in Auburn preseason practices

Nathan King
7–9 minutes

• JOIN TODAY! 1st month of AuburnUndercover for ONLY $1

• Image Title

"I think he's playing with a lot more confidence. He's playing a lot faster, being decisive in his decisions."

There’s plenty of excitement swirling around Auburn’s newcomers in the passing game. But a still-unproven returning piece in the receiving corps has made some strides this offseason, and could be in position to contribute in 2023.

Jay Fair has seen his fair share of first-team action early in Auburn’s preseason camp, rotating with fifth-year senior Ja'Varrius Johnson at the slot receiver position. In a room that needs to find several consistent players to help the quarterback competition along, the sophomore appears to be trending in the right direction — and a big reason for that, offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery said Monday, is due to an increased comfort level in Fair’s second offseason with the program.

“Well, I think he's electric,” Montgomery said “I thought he put on some good weight and good muscle this summer. … I think he's playing with a lot more confidence. He's playing a lot faster, being decisive in his decisions. He's always had good hands. You know, he's not scared of anything. So, if it's catching the ball across the middle, he doesn't mind it. You put the ball out there on the edges with him in any type of now screen or whatever, he's a step away from breaking it.”

A former 3-star recruit from Texas, Fair appeared in 10 games as a freshman last year, snaring two catches for 34 yards. He may not have been pegged as a crucial piece of the passing game when the Hugh Freeze era began, but Fair had a strong offseason, and Freeze said he was one of a few players on offense who had “the most consistent spring camp.”

“I think he's just accepted his role and not acting like — 'hey, I'm not a guy who's got a lot of experience,’” Montgomery said. “'I'm stepping in here with a mindset of trying to go win a job and be the best player I can be and help our football team win.' I think he's done a good job of leadership in that way.”

At 5-foot-10 and 180 pounds, Fair was one of several players who put in offseason work at the facility with transfer quarterback Payton Thorne, and his increased confidence is seemingly flashing in the early stages of camp. Through a pair of media viewing periods at practice, Fair has been a fixture with the primary group of receivers.

Of course, Auburn will sift through the reps this week as the intensity ramps up, and Saturday’s scrimmage should offer some increased clarity on the pecking order at various positions. But Fair has done well to make an impression on both his coaches and peers after a few days of practice.

I feel like Jay Fair has upped his game and stepped his game up a lot,” defensive back Keionte Scott said last week. “He’s going to be able to contribute and be a really big factor for our offense this year.”

Fair is one of six receivers who return from last year’s offense, with Johnson (493 yards and three touchdowns in 2022) leading the way in terms of experience. Auburn and first-year receivers coach Marcus Davis added four players in the transfer portal: Nick Mardner (Cincinnati), Jyaire Shorter (North Texas), Caleb Burton (Ohio State) and Shane Hooks (Jackson State).

“Practice 2, I thought I saw some sparks in there and guys making some plays, and I think they're building each and every day,” Montgomery said of the receiving corps’ progress in camp thus far. “We've got to be a little bit more detail oriented in some of our routes, making sure that we're pushing the depth and understanding spacing and where the grass and the holes and zones are going to sit, finding those areas. And then, you know, some of the pre snap things where we're getting certain looks, being able to take advantage of that. Just the details of what we do offensively. But I've been pleased with the progress. I think we're really battling at the top of our route. We're putting our foot in the ground, we're coming back. When we have the ability to go deep, they're taking advantage of that. I've been really, really pleased with that side of it.

“They've just got to continue to keep coming. We've got to be a little bit more consistent with our hands and our depths of our routes, but I think they're making really good progress right now.”

*** 60% OFF: Subscribe to Auburn Undercover for the latest news and intel, podcasts, recruiting coverage and more ***

*** Get Auburn news straight to your inbox with the Auburn Undercover newsletter ***

• Thanks 1

al.com

Auburn’s offense planning to use a running back ‘by committee’ approach

Updated: Aug. 07, 2023, 5:58 p.m.|Published: Aug. 07, 2023, 2:26 p.m.

4–5 minutes

Auburn OC Philip Montgomery previews 2023 season; Tigers' QB Battle w/ Ashford, Thorpe & Geriner

In a running back room overshadowed by Jarquez Hunter’s status, Auburn offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery said he could employ a running back “by committee” scheme.

Hunter has not been seen on the field yet during Auburn’s preseason practices.

Montgomery did not discuss Hunter’s availability during his press conference Monday, so it’s not clear if that committee is including Hunter in the picture or preparing for running back room without him. Head coach Hugh Freeze has declined to comment when asked about Hunter’s availability throughout the summer and at his press conference last week before Auburn’s first practice.

Hunter has been expected to be a star for Auburn’s offense this season, but his absence has meant extra looks for other running backs, and Montgomery seems to feel confident in who he has on the field right now — even from a mostly young group without much experience.

“I think we’ve got a talented running back room,” Montgomery said. “Each one of them are bringing different things to the table.”

Throughout the first two practices with open sessions for media members, Auburn has rotated which running backs have played behind the projected starting offensive line during drills.

And while it’s certainly to know what a possible breakdown of snaps would look like, freshman Jeremiah Cobb has impressed coaches in just his first week of full practices with Auburn.

Cobb certainly has looked the part of an SEC running back. He’s listed at 185 pounds on the roster and seemingly looks bigger than that in person. And at his size as only a freshman, Montgomery was quick to point out his speed and vision.

In the practice sessions open to media members, the former four-star high school recruit has seen snaps with the top offensive line group.

His skill set is there, but the biggest challenge he’ll face is the same one all freshmen do: adjusting to the differences of the college game, especially against an SEC defense.

“So just trying to figure out what the process is, how to play fast, how to see things,” Montgomery said. “You think it’s fixing to be a big gap and then all sudden, you wait, you delay, that thing starts closing in a hurry at this level. So understanding when to put your foot in the ground and you got to run through some things and stay up in that run scheme and not feel like you got to bounce some things and always try to get outside.”

Damari Alston was the first running back to see snaps at Thursday’s opening practice. Hugh Freeze described Alston, who’s just a sophomore, as a team leader already.

Without Hunter on the field to start fall camp, USF transfer Brian Battie is the most experienced running back in Auburn’s rotation. But that experience wasn’t in the SEC.

“I thought Brian had some good runs, Damari had some good runs,” Montgomery said. “I mean, all those guys are contributing. And I feel good about where they’re headed right now.”

Even Sean Jackson, who was the leading rusher in the spring game, could have a role in the backfield as arguably Auburn’s most powerful runner.

If Auburn doesn’t get Hunter back on the field for the first game, the running back room could make for another position battle on a roster already full of them. Most likely, Auburn’s other running backs are still going to see the field no matter if Hunter is there with them.

So Montgomery has options. The only question remains exactly which options he has and how he uses them.

Matt Cohen covers Auburn sports for AL.com. You can follow him on Twitter at @Matt_Cohen_ or email him at mcohen@al.com

If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation. By browsing this site, we may share your information with our social media partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

• Thanks 1

al.com

Bryce Cain parlays work ethic, elite speed into football future

Updated: Aug. 07, 2023, 11:19 a.m.|Published: Aug. 07, 2023, 11:08 a.m.

4–5 minutes

Sports

How did Bryce Cain transition from baseball future to 4-star Auburn WR commit?

Baker wide receiver Bryce Cain celebrates after a TD catch during a 7-on-7 event at the Sports Tourism Complex on Thursday, June 29, 2023, in Foley, Ala. (Mike Kittrell | preps@al.com)

Not that long ago, Bryce Cain thought his college future would be in baseball.

That was before he came out for football for the first time prior to his junior year at Baker High School in Mobile.

“He’s just a phenomenal athlete,” Hornets’ coach Steve Normand said last week of his Auburn wide receiver commit. “He also has something you can’t coach – elite level speed. His times are legit. Coaches see that.

“If there is one thing that will make them throw down an offer fast, it’s size and speed. If players have that, they think the things we may screw up on the high school level they can fix in college.”

Cain has recorded multiple 40-yard dash times in the high 4.3 territory.

That has made the 5-foot-11, 170-pound senior a top target for many SEC schools. He committed to Hugh Freeze and the Tigers in June. The 4-star receiver is currently No. 11 among senior recruits in the state, according to the On3 rankings.

In addition to his speed, another Cain attribute that has impressed Baker coaches is his work ethic. Cain’s first foray onto the football field at any level came in the spring of 2022 and, needless to say, he wasn’t a natural at his position.

“He caught the ball with his facemask one time,” Normand joked. “The ball literally bounced off his head when he first came out. I was like, ‘Oh my gosh.’ His hard work is a true testament to him. He came out, and he had played baseball his entire life. He had never played football even in like peewee or anything like that. He thought baseball was going to be his college career.”

That thought process quickly changed once he hit the football field. Cain caught 26 passes for 497 yards and 5 TDs a year ago in his first year of football. Those totals should increase dramatically for the Hornets in 2023.

“The first time he came out he had a hard time getting his hands right and tracking the ball,” said Baker senior quarterback Josh Flowers, a Mississippi State commit. “He would take his eyes off the ball. Now he tracks the ball when he runs. His speed was always there. Now his catching has gotten better. He has really evolved as a player.”

Normand said that is a compliment to Cain.

“He really wants to get better,” he said. “He doesn’t want to always rely on the fact that he’s faster than you. A few Sundays ago, it was raining, and I went by the school and he and Josh were out there doing the little things to help them get better. That’s what it’s all about.

“He’s like a sponge. All of these guys who are probably going to play at the next level want to get better every single day. They want to learn. They want to know what they need to do to get better every day. Bryce grinds every day even in the little things.”

Cain told AL.com earlier this summer that he is sold on Freeze and his plan at Auburn.

“I love it,” he said. “It feels like home. I feel like I have an opportunity to play early, and I think the coaching staff can get me to the next level. I’m already loving it.”

Cain is one of four Auburn commits among On3′s top 11 in-state players in the Class of 2024. The others are Chilton County LB Demarcus Riddick (3), Foley wide receiver Perry Thompson (4) and Booker T. Washington LB Joseph Phillips (6).

The Hornets open the season on Aug. 25 against rival Theodore.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation. By browsing this site, we may share your information with our social media partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For first time in 6 years, Auburn announces Toomer's Oaks can be rolled

The towering oak trees at Toomer's Corner can now be rolled, starting this football season

Nathan King82 mins

The storied Toomer's Oaks are back open for business.

Auburn announced Tuesday that the towering oak trees at Toomer's Corner can be rolled, less than a month out from the start of the 2023 football season. The university had signage posted for the past six years at trees, telling fans not to roll them, after the trees were replaced in February 2017. 

"The rolling of Toomer’s Corner is one of the nation’s top sports traditions,” university president Christopher Roberts said. “Our fans have come together for decades on the corner of Magnolia and College to celebrate our big wins. In recent years, we continued our cherished tradition by rolling different trees, but I am very excited that the Auburn family will once again be able to roll our most prominent trees.”

Following the infamous poisoning of the trees by Alabama fan Harvey Updyke in 2011, two new trees were planted in 2015. During the 2016 football season, though, just two games after the trees were deemed strong enough to roll, the tree adjacent to Magnolia Avenue was lit on fire by a 29-year-old Auburn resident. Five months later, both trees were replaced to match size and appearance.

“Both trees have made excellent progress since planting took place six years ago and are now considered to have recovered from transplant stress,” said Alex Hedgepath, Auburn University arborist. “Because of the Auburn family’s commitment, the trees are now established and can withstand rolling and cleanup efforts after Auburn athletic victories. With continued care, we expect the trees to grow vigorously and become further established.”

Every year since, fans have been allowed to role the other, smaller trees at Toomer's Corner, but were instructed not to disturb the oaks.

“We knew from the beginning it was a huge request to ask our fans to not roll the two new Auburn Oaks at Toomer’s Corner,” said Justin Sutton, director of Facilities Management Landscape Services. “We knew this short-term request would reap long-term benefits in upholding one of the best collegiate athletic traditions of rolling Toomer’s Corner. The long-term establishment, overall health and projected long life of these trees was our goal from the beginning. With the help of the Auburn family, we feel as if we’ve reached this milestone.”

2 hours ago, toddc said:

For first time in 6 years, Auburn announces Toomer's Oaks can be rolled

The towering oak trees at Toomer's Corner can now be rolled, starting this football season

Nathan King82 mins

The storied Toomer's Oaks are back open for business.

Auburn announced Tuesday that the towering oak trees at Toomer's Corner can be rolled, less than a month out from the start of the 2023 football season. The university had signage posted for the past six years at trees, telling fans not to roll them, after the trees were replaced in February 2017. 

"The rolling of Toomer’s Corner is one of the nation’s top sports traditions,” university president Christopher Roberts said. “Our fans have come together for decades on the corner of Magnolia and College to celebrate our big wins. In recent years, we continued our cherished tradition by rolling different trees, but I am very excited that the Auburn family will once again be able to roll our most prominent trees.”

Following the infamous poisoning of the trees by Alabama fan Harvey Updyke in 2011, two new trees were planted in 2015. During the 2016 football season, though, just two games after the trees were deemed strong enough to roll, the tree adjacent to Magnolia Avenue was lit on fire by a 29-year-old Auburn resident. Five months later, both trees were replaced to match size and appearance.

“Both trees have made excellent progress since planting took place six years ago and are now considered to have recovered from transplant stress,” said Alex Hedgepath, Auburn University arborist. “Because of the Auburn family’s commitment, the trees are now established and can withstand rolling and cleanup efforts after Auburn athletic victories. With continued care, we expect the trees to grow vigorously and become further established.”

Every year since, fans have been allowed to role the other, smaller trees at Toomer's Corner, but were instructed not to disturb the oaks.

“We knew from the beginning it was a huge request to ask our fans to not roll the two new Auburn Oaks at Toomer’s Corner,” said Justin Sutton, director of Facilities Management Landscape Services. “We knew this short-term request would reap long-term benefits in upholding one of the best collegiate athletic traditions of rolling Toomer’s Corner. The long-term establishment, overall health and projected long life of these trees was our goal from the beginning. With the help of the Auburn family, we feel as if we’ve reached this milestone.”

i just posted this in it/s on thread. i thought it deserved it. thanx for stopping by!

yahoo.com

Saturday’s scrimmage will provide a turning point in quarterback battle

Taylor Jones
~3 minutes

a3cc641b6cc91832701ceead8b63082e

One of Auburn football’s most important questions heading into the fall may soon have an answer.

After spring practice, the quarterback battle appeared to be decided as tj Finley elected to transfer to Texas State. However, the race took an interesting turn in May as Michigan State transfer Payton Thorne announced that he would be transferring into the program to compete with incumbent Robby Ashford.

Since then, the competition has turned up a notch. Even dark horse contender Holden Geriner is trying to make a splash in the decision.

Offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery provided an update regarding quarterbacks with the media on Monday. He says that he hopes Saturday’s scrimmage will provide more clarity on the battle.

“I just want to see somebody take control and take a step forward. Separate themselves. That’s what you’re looking for in your quarterback position — a guy that’s gonna lead, guy that’s gonna make plays,” Montgomery said. “He doesn’t have to be Superman, but he does have to be consistent in his play in his decision making and taking care of the football, and then moving us down the field and staying ahead of chains.”

He went on to say that the quarterback who remains the most consistent in making plays will win the job. But what does each quarterback bring to the table? He began by describing Thorne and his “student of the game” mentality. Thorne has done well at getting up to speed with the new system.

“He’s seeing things right now at a really good rate,” Montgomery said. “You’ve gotta remember, he wasn’t here in the spring. Some of the things that he’s picked up on, we’ve gotta get everybody else around that to be on the same page with him. But I think he’s done a great job with his leadership. He’s disciplined, and he’s professional about what he does.”

When it comes to Ashford, Montgomery says that he has become more consistent over the fall.

“(Ashford has) got a big arm. But it’s the consistency of the fundamentals that kind of go into that part of it. He’s worked really hard on that,” Montgomery said. “I think he’s really operated. He does a really good job of trying to lead and be positive and do the things that we’re asking him to do.”

The Tigers will continue fall camp until Saturday, Aug. 19. As part of fall camp, Auburn will have two scrimmages at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. You can also follow Taylor on Twitter @TaylorJones__

Story originally appeared on Auburn Wire

yahoo.com

Jeremiah Wright with the first group and other takeaways from Auburn football practice

Richard Silva, Montgomery Advertiser
4–5 minutes

AUBURN — Auburn football's offensive line had an update Tuesday.

During a 40-minute viewing window at practice, Jeremiah Wright was seen with the first group. Alongside him was Dillon Wade at left tackle, Avery Jones at center, Kam Stutts at right guard and Gunner Britton at right tackle. In previous practices, that was the starting unit, but with Tate Johnson in place of Wright at left guard.

Wright, who was a key piece of the rotation at LG last season, is entering his fourth year with the Tigers. Other players jockeying for a starting OG spot include Tulsa transfer Jaden Muskrat and true freshman Connor Lew.

"They've come a long way, and still are," offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery said of the O-line Monday. "... We've got some great battles that are going on in front right now. And guys are feeling that pressure of, 'Hey, I've got to be on top of my game each and every day.' For us to do what we want to do offensively, those five guys have got to lead the way for us."

CALEB BURTON: What transfer WR has done to stand out at Auburn football's fall camp

THE SECONDARY: Keionte Scott, Auburn football veteran DBs focused on trying to 'bring our freshmen up'

Robby Ashford on field first

True to his word, Freeze continues to cycle which quarterbacks run on the field first at practice.

It was Payton Thorne during viewing periods Thursday and Friday, but it was Robby Ashford on Tuesday. Thorne came in second and Holden Geriner was third. The first-group wide receivers with Ashford were Nick Mardner, Omari Kelly and Jay Fair, though many WRs such as Jyaire Shorter, Shane Hooks and Ja'Varrius Johnson cycled through.

First-group offense

QB: Robby Ashford

RB: Jarquez Hunter

WR: Nick Mardner, Omari Kelly, Jay Fair

TE: Rivaldo Fairweather

OL (left to right): Dillon Wade, Jeremiah Wright, Avery Jones, Kam Stutts and Gunner Britton

To open fall camp Aug. 3, Freeze said the top three QBs would all receive equal reps through the first five practices. After that, he wants the competition to be trimmed down to two ahead of Auburn's Week 1 game against UMass on Sept. 2: "We'll evaluate all of those reps and kind of recalibrate and sit down and kind of go through there after the first five."

Freeze added: "We'll have a starter game one. Does it remain bonafide? Show me the stats from Game 1. It comes down to how is the quarterback judged? He's judged by how the team plays around him and his win-loss record."

Auburn quarterback Robby Ashford (9) and offensive lineman Jeremiah Wright (77) during a practice at the Woltosz Football Performance Center on Aug. 3.

Auburn quarterback Robby Ashford (9) and offensive lineman Jeremiah Wright (77) during a practice at the Woltosz Football Performance Center on Aug. 3.

Punt returners

A handful of players practiced catching punts during a special teams portion of practice. In no particular order, those on the receiving end of punts ejected from the JUGS machine about 40 yards down the field included Jay Fair, Caleb Burton, Keionte Scott, walk-on Will Upton and Johnson.

Scott returned 14 punts for an average of 9.6 yards an attempt in 2022. Johnson caught two and returned them for a total of 11 yards.

Jarquez Hunter back at practice, other updates

Starting running back Jarquez Hunter was spotted at practice for the first time this season. Caleb Wooden, who was also previously absent, was back as well. Hunter's status has been clouded since the university released a statement in May regarding a situation in which "indefinite suspensions" were issued.

Wide receiver Koy Moore still appears to be limited, as he remains off to the side when Auburn's receivers go through drills. Moore has not been wearing a no-contact jersey, however.

Richard Silva is the Auburn athletics beat writer for the Montgomery Advertiser. He can be reached via email at rsilva@gannett.com or on Twitter @rich_silva18.

This article originally appeared on Montgomery Advertiser: Auburn Football: Jeremiah Wright with first group, other observations