8.4.23 Football Articles

aubiefifty

if you guys do not care about double posts i do not so i will be posting now.

Edited by aubiefifty
  • Love 1

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Hugh Freeze shares positive injury report as team begins fall camp

Taylor Jones
~2 minutes

As the Auburn Tigers head into fall camp this week, head coach Hugh Freeze provided an injury report just before his team hit the practice field on Thursday.

Two key transfers were questionable heading into camp, but Freeze says that both Brian Battie and Jyaire Shorter will battle through their injury in an effort to compete during the three-week period.

Buy Tigers Tickets

Battie had surgery following A-Day to repair a broken bone in his right foot. Recovery time was expected to be eight weeks, but he is ahead of schedule Freeze says.

“Battie is limited but will practice from his, he had the procedure done on his foot,” Freeze said Thursday. “Shoot, I think that’s it. I think we’re blessed. There may be a few more that are somewhat limited, but I think everybody will be out there today.”

Shorter, a wide receiver from North Texas, has had a history of injury as well. Last season, he underwent surgery to repair a broken bone in his foot. He also missed time during the 2020 season due to a broken ankle. Freeze tells the media that Shorter is being monitored, but is clear to practice.

Auburn football will continue fall camp through Saturday, Aug. 19. The 2023 season will begin Saturday, Sept. 2 against UMass at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. You can also follow Taylor on Twitter @TaylorJones__

al.com

Hugh Freeze eager to see Auburn's transfer-heavy offensive line come together

Published: Aug. 04, 2023, 5:00 a.m.
3–4 minutes

1. Auburn Football

A position group that really excites Hugh Freeze? Auburn’s offensive line

Auburn Football practice

Auburn offensive line at the line of scrimmage during first day of practices, Thursday, Aug. 3, 2023 in Auburn, Ala. (AL.com Photo/Stew Milne)Stew Milne

Thursday morning was first-year head coach Hugh Freeze’s first opportunity to lay his eyes on the Auburn football team he helped craft after bringing in more than 40 new faces via the transfer portal, JUCO and the high school ranks.

Given the brewing quarterback battle on The Plains, it didn’t come as a surprise when Freeze fielded a handful of questions about the Tigers’ situation under center. And while Freeze is excited to see how his quarterbacks compete this fall, they don’t make up the position group that excites Freeze the most heading into fall camp.

“If there’s a room that really excites me... I’m excited about our O-Line,” Freeze said ahead of Thursday’s practice.

At any level — but especially the SEC — a quarterback is often only as good as his offensive line allows him to be and Freeze knows that.

In 2022, that was an issue for the Tigers, who allowed 30 sacks through 12 games. As such, Freeze made sure to make the offensive line a priority when making additions to Auburn’s roster throughout the offseason.

Auburn added five offensive lineman via the transfer portal, first adding Western Kentucky and East Carolina transfers Gunner Britton and Avery Jones, followed by the additions of Tulsa transfers Dillon Wade and Jaden Muskrat.

“They can all play, man,” said senior offensive lineman Kam Stutts at SEC Media Days. “Every dude we’ve brought in is talented, and they’re all doing a really good job working hard and getting after it.”

Freeze and the Tigers added their fifth offensive lineman transfer just days ago as freshman Northwestern transfer Dylan Senda announced his commitment to Auburn.

“There’s no secret that I made that a priority,” Freeze said of Senda, adding that offensive line coach Jake Thornton’s previous relationship with Senda helped the Tigers. “I think that gave us an edge. He is a big, good-looking dude and he’s a freshman. Basically, I think we’ve added a guy that has a long-term future here.”

Junior Izavion Miller also joined the Tigers in the offseason after beginning his college playing career at the junior college level.

Auburn’s offensive line additions join the likes of returners Kam Stutts, Tate Johnson and Jeremiah Wright — three guys who bring SEC experience to the position group. The Tigers also have a bounty of youth on the offensive front in names like Garner Langlo, Connor Lew and Clay Wedin.

“I really think we’ve improved ourselves there,” Freeze said of the offensive line. “But I don’t know how much we’ve closed the gap on that.”

Are the Tigers done making additions to the offensive line and roster as a whole? Freeze thinks so, but he’ll never say never.

“I will never answer that with a definitive,” Freeze said. “Do I think so at this point? Yes.”

If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation. By browsing this site, we may share your information with our social media partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Payton Thorne takes snaps with first team offense in day one of camp

Taylor Jones

~2 minutes

The Auburn Tigers took the practice field on Thursday to open fall camp, and there were several notable items to take away.

One of which concerns the quarterback battle. Richard Silva of the Montgomery Advertiser reports that Michigan State transfer Payton Thorne opened camp by working with the first-team offense during the media viewing period. Moreover, Robby Ashford took snaps with the third team while redshirt freshman Holden Geriner participated with the second team.

Buy Tigers Tickets

While this is possibly preliminary and is not an indication of what the depth chart will permanently look like, it is surprising to see Ashford working with the third team. Head coach Hugh Freeze spoke about the quarterback battle earlier Thursday and says that it is all a part of the plan.

“I think we have a really good plan of the rotation between those three guys,” Freeze said. “They’re all going to rotate through the first five practices really evenly amongst the 1s and 2s and 3s. We’ll evaluate all of those reps and kind of recalibrate and sit down and kind of go through there after the first five.”

Fall camp will continue through Saturday, Aug. 19 with a scrimmage at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. You can also follow Taylor on Twitter @TaylorJones__

247sports.com

Freeze excited about newlook offensive line

Jason Caldwell
3–4 minutes

AUBURN, Alabama—As the Auburn Tigers took the field Thursday morning for the first preseason practice under Hugh Freeze and the new staff, there isn’t a position on the team that has been overhauled as much as the offensive line. Only six players remain from last season’s offensive line roster, but because of the work done by Freeze, Jake Thornton, Kendall Simmons and staff, Auburn’s group is in a good position heading into the 2023 season as the Tigers look to close the gap on schools like Alabama and Georgia up front.

“I'm excited about our O-line,” Freeze said. “I really think we've improved ourselves there. And I don't know how much we've closed the gap on that.”

Bringing in transfers Dillon Wade, Avery Jones and Gunner Britton prior to the spring, who all are projected to be starters for the Tigers this year, Auburn continued to build depth and talent to the room over the summer.

First up was adding Tulsa transfer Jaden Muskrat to the offensive line. A player that is versatile enough to play either guard or tackle, Muskrat got his first look at right guard on the first day of practice and should be an important addition for Thornton and company because of his previous experience.

Auburn wasn’t done though, adding Northwestern transfer Dylan Senda earlier this week and getting him on campus for Thursday’s practice. Making the trip down along with his family to get moved in and get acclimated to his new surroundings, Senda was in uniform on Thursday as he continues to get a crash course in learning the offense.

“There’s no secret that I made that a priority,” Freeze said about building up the offensive line. “Dylan was a highly-recruited kid out of high school. I thought that when he went into the portal – Jake (Thornton) had a relationship with him already. So did Darren Hiller, who is a new staff member here who’s been with me before. I think that gave us an edge. He is a big, good-looking dude and he’s a freshman. Basically, I think we’ve added a guy that has a long-term future here. “He fits the Auburn culture and so does his family. Excited to have him. He’s swimming right now because he just heard yesterday what we call inside zone and that’s all new to him. He’ll be patient because he’s a freshman. It helped us depth wise and obviously long term gives us – and truthfully, you’ve got a guy that's locked in that can’t transfer because of the one-time, and that’s something that plays into it also.”

With the six returning players on the offensive line, Auburn has added 10 total transfers to push the number to 16. That’s the target goal that Freeze set for the group heading into the season and it gives the Tigers an opportunity to not only build competition, but also to prepare players for the future.

Auburn returns to practice on Friday morning for the second preseason workout of August. The first scrimmage is scheduled for August 12 prior to fan day.

si.com

Auburn football practice takeaways: Tigers begin fall camp

Lance Dawe
3–4 minutes

Auburn football began fall camp for the 2023 season on Thursday morning.

Freeze opened the morning with a press conference addressing camp questions.

Here's what we learned from the Thursday practice.

Freeze is adamant that this is an actual quarterback battle

Payton Thorne at Auburn football practice

Eric Starling/Auburn Daily

Auburn begins camp with a three-man quarterback race between Robby Ashford, transfer Payton Thorne and Holden Geriner.

Thorne has been the projected starter ever since he committed to the Tigers earlier this year, but Auburn head coach Hugh Freeze has been adamant that this is a legitimate competition that will be trimmed down in a week or so.

Still, Freeze has been impressed with how Thorne has acted off the field.

"It's impossible for you not to visit with Payton, because he demands it," Freeze said. "I feel very comfortable with who he is, and his preparation... I'm excited about the competition with him and Robby (Ashford) and Holden (Geriner)."

Auburn is healthier than expected

Holden Geriner and Brian Battie at Auburn football practice - Eric Starling/Auburn Daily

Freeze noted at SEC Media Days that most of the roster was healthy with the exceptions of running back Brian Battie and wide receiver Jyaire Shorter.

When asked about injuries, Freeze said Battie is the only player who's still hurt.

"(Brian) Battie is limited but will practice after having a procedure on his foot," Freeze said. "I think that's it."

Offensive line making strides

Auburn offensive line at Auburn football practice - Eric Starling/Auburn Daily

Auburn first team offensive line looked solid.

LT Dillon Wade (Tulsa transfer)

LG Tate Johnson

C Avery Jones (ECU transfer)

RG Kam Stutts

RT Gunner Britton (WKU transfer)

"I'm excited about our o-line, I think we've improved ourselves there," Freeze said. "I'm excited how we've closed the gap."

Auburn pass rush looking very different

Marcus Harris at Auburn football practice

Elijah McAllister was first out there with the defensive line. Jalen McLeod and Keldric Faulk rotated in after. The position group looks solid, and with the transfer depth the Tigers now have, there's reason to believe they could be pretty good.

"That's a position that I'm really excited about the new guys," Freeze said "Elijah (McAllister) is an incredible human being... I think adding (Stephen) Sings and Jalen (McLeod) to that room gave us some pop. Something that we needed more of."

Cam Riley and Austin Keys are LB1

Austin Keys

Riley was out there over Wesley Steiner, Larry Nixon III, Robert Woodyard, and Eugene Asante.

The rotation with the 1s could change in future practices.

Other Articles

Five-star wide receiver Perry Thompson flips from Alabama, commits to Auburn

Five-star linebacker Demarcus Riddick flips from Georgia, commits to Auburn

Hugh Freeze: Tigers' roster was 'far from what I believe an Auburn roster should look like'

Auburn football announces start time for 2023 fall camp

Hugh Freeze provides timeline for Auburn football quarterback battle

Jake Crain believes Auburn football can be 'sneaky' under Hugh Freeze

College football expert 'doesn't see' eight wins on Auburn football's 2023 schedule

Hugh Freeze provides updates for Auburn players injured in the spring

Engage with Auburn Daily on Socials!

lindyssports.com

Transfer-heavy Auburn has coach Hugh Freeze ‘uncomfortable’ | Lindy's Sports

2–3 minutes

FLM-Logo-GreenWhite-150-79x78.png

Field Level Media

August 03, 2023 at 8:44 pm.

Plenty is new within the Auburn football program entering the 2023 season, including coach Hugh Freeze and a group of transfers such as quarterback Payton Thorne.

Freeze explained why that’s left him feeling anxious and uncertain about the roster he is working with as Auburn opened preseason training camp Thursday.

“This is the most uncomfortable fall camp I’m going into and it’s because of this new world (of roster turnover),” Freeze told reporters. “We had players we added after spring ball, and one’s a quarterback and I haven’t coached him a single practice and everyone’s asking, ‘What do you think?’ I have no idea.”

The quarterback in question is Thorne, formerly of Michigan State. Thorne chose to enter the transfer portal after spring practice with the Spartans and committed to Auburn in early May. He is competing for Auburn’s starting job with returning starter Robby Ashford, redshirt freshman Holden Geriner and true freshman Hank Brown.

Thorne is one of eight players who transferred to Auburn after the spring practice session.

“It makes me feel a little bit anxious that I may be behind in our evaluation of who we are and what we can do,” Freeze said. “Maybe we are. That’s a feeling I have to battle.”

Freeze did not have a timetable for naming a Week 1 starting quarterback, but he wants to narrow the group to two top contenders before long.

Freeze, 53, comes to Auburn after four seasons as the head coach of Liberty, though he has prior SEC experience at Ole Miss. In 10 seasons as a head coach at Arkansas State (2011), Ole Miss (2012-16) and Liberty, Freeze is 83-43 with a 6-2 record in bowl games.

Thorne, 22, was the starting quarterback for two years at Michigan State. In 29 career games with the Spartans (2020-22), he threw for 6,494 yards, 49 touchdowns and 24 interceptions with a 60.9 percent completion rate.

theplainsman.com

Quarterback observations from day one of fall practice - The Auburn Plainsman

3–4 minutes

Thursday kicked off fall practices for Auburn as the regular season is less than a month away, and media was granted access to a viewing window to watch part of practice.

With an ongoing quarterback battle set to be handled during fall camp, Michigan State transfer Payton Thorne was seen running with the first team offense. Thorne was handing off to Damari Alston, throwing to receivers Nick Mardner, Camden Brown and Jay Fair and had Dillon Wade, Tate Johnson, Avery Jones, Kameron Stutts and Gunner Britton in front of him on the offensive line.

Alston was running with the first team offense as presumed starter Jarquez Hunter was not present.

Redshirt freshman Holden Geriner was working with the second team offense while Robby Ashford, who started a majority of Auburn's game last season, was with the third team.

Which team each quarterback was working with should likely not be heavily examined as head coach Hugh Freeze explained before practice started that each quarterback would work equally with each team for the first days of fall camp.

"We have a really good plan of the rotation between those three guys, and they're all gonna rotate for the first five practices pretty evenly among the ones, twos and threes. And we'll evaluate all those reps and then kind of recalibrate," Freeze said.

Freeze was asked specifically about Thorne prior to practice and explained what he's seen from the newcomer so far.

“It’s impossible for you not to visit with Payton because he demands it,” Freeze said. “My phone every day, ‘hey coach, you have any free time today? Hey coach, you have any free time?’ I love that about him. I feel very comfortably with who he is, his leadership, his desire and his preparation, his football IQ, but you got to make plays. I haven’t seen that yet and truthfully, I’m excited about the competition between he, Robby and Holden.”

Referring to the quarterback battle, Freeze said the team will have a starting quarterback for the Tigers' opening game against UMass, but it could take a few weeks into the season to completely settle on one.

After the UMass game, Auburn plays at California and then is back at home to play in-state Samford.

"It may be three games into the season before we really know this is absolutely the guy we gotta roll with when it's crunch time," Freeze said. "I hope it's not that, but it could be."

Do you like this story? The Plainsman doesn't accept money from tuition or student fees, and we don't charge a subscription fee. But you can donate to support The Plainsman.

Jacob Waters | Sports Editor

Jacob Waters is a junior majoring in journalism. From Leeds, Alabama, he started with The Plainsman in fall 2021.

Twitter: @JacobWaters_

Share and discuss “Quarterback observations from day one of fall practice” on social media.

247sports.com

Deal says Auburn football has a new energy heading into preseason practices

Jason Caldwell
4–5 minutes

Auburn's Luke Deal talks about the Tigers as they open practices on Thursday.

VIDEO: A look at Auburn's class of transfers

AUBURN, Alabama—The momentum started last season following the firing of Bryan Harsin and several assistants from his staff, leaving Cadillac Williams and the rest of the coaches to lead the way for a group of players that never stopped playing until the final seconds ticked off the clock for the 2022 season.

When Hugh Freeze was named as Auburn’s next head coach in December, things got an energy boost right away. That has only intensified after a strong transfer portal haul in December and throughout the summer combined with positive momentum in the 2024 recruiting class.

Now the Tigers take the field on Thursday morning for the first preseason practice under Freeze, and they do so with the feeling of an entire fanbase fully behind them. With season tickets sold out and excitement continuing to grow, senior tight end Luke Deal says it’s absolutely something the players are feeling as they get ready to put in the work this August to get ready for the season.

“I think that momentum, whether it’s a new staff or new players or anything, it’s something that has gotten Auburn buzzing since then,” Deal tells Auburnundercover. “We definitely thrive with Auburn support. People are so excited for this season, so excited for coach Freezed and his staff, so excited for the new transfers and just how we’re all going to mesh together. I think that has helped us within the locker room. You usually block out outside noise, but right now with the momentum high we’re on after being really low at mid-year last year, it has been really, really good.”

The players are also feeling good after a very productive summer of strength and conditioning under coach Dom Studzinski and his staff. With so many new faces and a team that has had an edge about it since the way last season transpired, Deal says there are different expectations around this team that have been build through the hard work this summer.

“The biggest thing for us, football-wise, has been a lot of our conditioning,” Deal said. “Our conditioning is really football related. It’s short, football movements, but also really, really hard. I know a lot of people talked about how hard the Harsin era was in strength and conditioning, which it was, but so is coach Dom’s in its own respect. More than football, I feel like it’s built our team up. We’ve gotten to the point where we hold each other accountable. Everybody goes out there working hard and you’ve got guys talking in each group. It has been huge for this program. That definitely contributes to some of the excited nature within the locker room.”

With over 40 new players on the roster and a new attitude around the football program, Deal says this team is ready to get to work and hit the ground running on Thursday.

“It’s kind of different from years past,” Deal says. “There’s a lot of guys new here and a lot of guys have never been through a camp here. I talked to everybody. I talked to our quarterbacks, I talked to our offensive linemen, a bunch of different guys. They’re really anxious and excited just to get going. I talked to a couple of guys in our room. They’re so ready for actual ball to be played. Workouts are great and that’s where our team gets really close and we get in really good shape, but when you put on the pads it’s a different story.”

Jason Caldwell's Friday Auburn mailbag column

Talking Auburn football, recruiting, basketball and more.

To read this full article and more, subscribe now —

ok apologies for leaving some of you hanging. have a great day! it is friday and my coffee pot quit on me so i am crankier than normal this morning. anyway...War Eagle

yahoo.com

Hugh Freeze performs a resurrection. Auburn football recruiting back from grave | Toppmeyer

Blake Toppmeyer, USA TODAY NETWORK

5–7 minutes

Coaching Auburn football is tough if you can’t recruit the state of Alabama, and Bryan Harsin couldn’t.

Don’t take it from me, though.

Here’s how one Alabama high school coach described Harsin’s recruiting during an interview with former Montgomery Advertiser beat writer Bennett Durando before last season:

“Coach (Nick) Saban has come by and spent up to an hour visiting with us. And we’ve never seen Coach Harsin on campus.”

Idaho man Harsin was a ghost in the Yellowhammer State, and Auburn made him disappear last Halloween.

Some say Harsin, who lasted just 21 games, got a raw deal from Auburn. I say it’s a minor miracle Auburn kept him that long.

Hugh Freeze, in eight months on the job, has brought Auburn back from the recruiting grave. He’s achieved that rebirth foremost by re-establishing Auburn’s presence within its home state.

Five-star instate wide receiver Perry Thompson flipped his pledge from Alabama to Auburn last week while standing on a pool deck during an Auburn recruiting visit. Freeze got tossed into the pool during the ensuing jubilation.

Worth it.

Subscribe to SEC Football Unfiltered
iTunes | Google Play | Spotify

“Nick Saban, good coach, you know, … but I know he specializes in DBs, and my main position is receiver,” Thompson said of his decision. “I know Hugh Freeze has got a background of developing receivers to the higher level.”

Saban, a good coach? Try the greatest of all time.

And, this idea that Alabama is some slouch at developing receivers? Julio Jones, Amari Cooper, Jerry Jeudy, Jaylen Waddle and Heisman Trophy winner DeVonta Smith might like a word.

Nevertheless, wide receivers have posted monster numbers playing for Freeze, who has never struggled to win over recruits. Adhering to recruiting rules became his issue at Ole Miss, but it’s a new day in the NCAA, and the NIL era is tailormade for coaches like Freeze.

Just how notable is Thompson’s commitment?

Pretty big, when you consider Auburn hasn’t signed a five-star recruit since linebacker Owen Pappoe highlighted the 2019 class. Thompson is the seventh national top-250 prospect to commit to Auburn’s 2024 class. Five of those recruits are from Alabama high schools.

The help can’t arrive soon enough.

Freeze’s inaugural team will rely on transfers to plug holes in the deficient depth chart he inherited. That’ll have to do for now, and keeping an eye on the transfer portal is a must. But, most coaches will tell you – and Georgia’s Kirby Smart is proving – that high school recruiting remains the groundwork for championships.

Auburn is blessed with the opportunity to fill the bulk of its roster with prospects from within 250 miles of campus. Alabama, Georgia and the Florida Panhandle combine to provide enviable recruiting terrain.

Its chore is going against recruiting behemoths Alabama and Georgia.

Alabama’s got an awfully good recruiting pitch: Come play for the GOAT, whose track record for producing NFL talent speaks for itself.

Georgia’s pitch is strong, too: Come play for college football’s best thing going and a coach who’s developing talent as if he’s Saban 2.0.

Auburn’s counter: Come play for a player friendly coach who beat Saban twice at Ole Miss.

AUBURN RECRUITING: How Hugh Freeze has built relationships with instate coaches

'WE'RE GOING TO CHANGE AUBURN': 5-star recruit Perry Thompson explains his commitment

COMMITMENTS WITH 'FAMILY': How Auburn football enjoyed historic success at Big Cat recruiting event

AU’s pitch worked on Thompson, who apparently wasn’t enamored with Alabama. Thompson said Saban tried to persuade him to attend Alabama’s “little cookout thing” last week. He opted for Auburn’s Big Cat weekend and made a commitment reversal that resulted in Freeze going for an impromptu swim.

That came after Auburn belly-flopped in its 2023 recruiting class, signing just one of the state’s top 15 prospects, while Alabama signed seven of the state’s top 15.

Harsin’s fate was sealed in 2022, after he signed one of the state’s top 15 prospects. Alabama nabbed six.

Outpunching Alabama within the state won’t happen every year, but Auburn must do better than getting trounced at a 7- or 6-to-1 rate among top-15 instate prospects.

“I hope that the high school coaches and players have sensed our willingness to do whatever it takes to get back in the game,” Freeze said in April. “We've got to win some battles in this state.”

So far, Freeze is winning his fair share.

Thompson became the fifth recruit ranked among the instate top 15 to commit to Auburn. He had pledged to Alabama while Harsin coached the Tigers. Freeze altered the course.

Deric Scott, Thompson’s coach at Foley High School, told AL.com that Auburn's recruiting shift under Freeze is a “100 to 1 change” from Harsin, and he described Freeze as having “a magnetic personality.”

That’s one man’s opinion, but Thompson’s commitment offers further evidence that Freeze resurrected Auburn’s recruiting within the state.

Blake Toppmeyer is the USA TODAY Network's SEC Columnist. Email him at BToppmeyer@gannett.com and follow him on Twitter @btoppmeyer.

If you enjoy Blake’s coverage, consider a digital subscription that will allow you access to all of it. Also, check out his podcast, SEC Football Unfiltered, or access exclusive columns via the SEC Unfiltered newsletter.

This article originally appeared on Knoxville News Sentinel: Hugh Freeze beats Nick Saban, revives Auburn football recruiting

yahoo.com

Here's my plan for three 20-team NCAA super-conferences. Who's in? Who's out? | Toppmeyer

Blake Toppmeyer, USA TODAY NETWORK

7–9 minutes

To hear Florida State President Richard McCullough tell it, the Seminoles have one foot in, one foot out of the ACC.

To hear it from FSU trustee Drew Weatherford, the ‘Noles are a foot and a half out the door.

“Unless something drastic changes on the revenue side in the ACC, it's not a matter of if we leave, in my opinion, it's a matter of how and when we leave,” Weatherford, a former FSU quarterback, said during a trustees meeting Wednesday.

While Congress fiddles with whether to regulate an NIL market that NCAA leaders bemoan as the Wild, Wild West, the really unhinged battle in college sports’ O.K. Corral remains the cutthroat realignment brawl.

Subscribe to SEC Football Unfiltered
iTunes | Google Play | Spotify

The Pac-12’s media deal expires next year, and a satisfactory new deal has not materialized. The conference, while on life support, is being stripped for parts.

FSU is the ACC’s loudest complainer, but others in that conference are also dissatisfied with a revenue distribution that pales in comparison to Big Ten and SEC peers.

The ACC’s sticky grant of rights runs through 2036, and punitive exit fees in that contract have locked its membership in place. Perhaps FSU’s barking is a bluff designed to squeeze more money out of the ACC. Alternatively, the Seminoles are serious about finding an escape hatch.

The Big Ten and SEC’s desire to grow beyond 16 teams is murky. Conference expansion works only if the money works. The allure of television dollars fuels realignment, but the faucets at ESPN and other networks seem to be running dry.

The Big 12 craves additional expansion after heisting Colorado from the Pac-12. Arizona is on deck.

Here’s where each Power Five conference stands as this realignment drama enters its next act:

SEC: Rich, powerful and sturdy. A Super Two conference.

Big Ten: Rich, powerful and sturdy. A Super Two conference.

Big 12: Positioned for survival. It countered the pending departures of Oklahoma and Texas by adding BYU, Central Florida, Cincinnati, Houston and Colorado, and it cut in front of the Pac-12 for a new media deal.

ACC: Querulous. Will fissures turn into fracture?

Pac-12: Vulnerable to collapse. Prepare the gallows humor.

Realignment moves aren’t always predictable or sensical. The only thing that seems certain: This isn’t finished yet, and the most powerful conferences tend to get bigger, at the expense of others.

With that in mind, I’m contemplating the possibility of three 20-team super-conferences. My proposed additions are listed in bold.

Big Ten

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue, Rutgers, Southern Cal, UCLA, Wisconsin, Oregon, Washington, Miami, Virginia.

Big Ten officials were contemplating the idea of adding Oregon and Washington, according to multiple reports, and maybe would consider California and Stanford. I’ll buy the first two, but not the second pair. The Big Ten is snobbish about its academics. Nebraska is its only member that isn’t in the Association of American Universities — a designation that's the kind of thing only chancellors and presidents care about. California and Stanford fit the academic profile, but their football programs don’t move the needle.

TOPPMEYER: As realignment carousel twirls, SEC must stay vigilant, with eye toward the ACC

Oregon and Washington would effectively shore up the Big Ten’s West Coast presence after seizing Southern Cal and UCLA. Adding the Ducks and Huskies would complete its raid of the Pac-12’s top brands.

Big Ten expansion philosophy is unencumbered by geography, but the conference hasn’t penetrated the South. If the ACC fractures, Virginia and Miami would propel the Big Ten into new terrain and provide an entry into Florida, a talent-rich football recruiting state.

Oh, I should add: Oregon, Washington, Miami and Virginia have AAU distinction.

Big 12

Baylor, BYU, Central Florida, Cincinnati, Colorado, Houston, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas Tech, West Virginia, Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, Louisville, North Carolina State, Syracuse, Virginia Tech.

Big 12 Commissioner Brett Yormark is something of a P.T. Barnum. Among other tricks, he's planning games to be played in Mexico, and he’s exploring in-game interviews to spice up TV broadcasts. How long until the Big 12 puts a few bearded ladies on retainer?

ANALYSIS: Pac-12 is dead as a major athletics presence. What now?

Credit Yormark, though. The Big 12 was on the ropes after losing Oklahoma and Texas to the SEC. Not only did it survive, it’s on the offensive. Plucking Arizona, ASU and Utah would complete a seizure of the Pac-12’s “Four Corners” schools.

If the ACC breaks up, the SEC and Big Ten would enjoy first choice of its members, but the Big 12 could scoop up the tastiest scraps to get to 20. That’s where Louisville, NC State, Syracuse and Virginia Tech enter this picture.

What I’ve designed would fortify the Big 12 as the nation’s best basketball conference and secure it on the No. 3 football perch.

SEC

Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt, Clemson, Florida State, North Carolina, Pittsburgh.

More than other conferences, the SEC’s expansions have been mindful of the conference’s brand and well-manicured Southern identity. Clemson, FSU and UNC would be no-brainers for the tapestry the SEC created. Clemson and FSU are located in the SEC footprint. In many ways, their identity is more reflective of the SEC than the ACC.

UNC would provide an additional big brand and take the SEC into neighboring terrain. The SEC likes to expand into border states. Plus, the SEC Network is headquartered in Charlotte. The Tar Heels fit.

Pittsburgh is my wild card. Pitt would match Missouri as the SEC’s most curious additions. Maybe Pitt could become an adopted member of the South. Fans of a certain age remember Pitt sitting atop college football. Pittsburgh is a football city, albeit tilted toward the NFL. Pittsburgh is often compared to Birmingham, which headquarters the SEC.

Notably absent from these super-conferences

Notre Dame, California, Oregon State, Stanford, Washington State, Boston College, Duke, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, Boise State, San Diego State.

Notre Dame’s independence dates to the 1800s, and the Irish guard it like gold doubloons. Their current NBC deal expires in 2024. If they can make the finances work on a new TV contract, I don't see them forgoing independence.

The Mountain West retaining Boise State and San Diego State would be a coup. An MWC pairing with Pac-12 leftovers Cal, Oregon State, Stanford and Washington State would create a souped-up Mountain-Pac Conference.

What to do with ACC leftovers? I propose this: Boston College, Duke, Georgia Tech and Wake Forest join the basketball-friendly Big East and become football-only members of the American.

If all of this sounds a bit crazy, just remember: UCLA will play a conference game at Rutgers in 2024, and the Big 12 spans from BYU to UCF while plotting American football games in Mexico.

Blake Toppmeyer is the USA TODAY Network's SEC Columnist. Email him at BToppmeyer@gannett.com and follow him on Twitter @btoppmeyer.

If you enjoy Blake’s coverage, consider a digital subscription that will allow you access to all of it. Also, check out his podcast, SEC Football Unfiltered, or access exclusive columns via the SEC Unfiltered newsletter.

This article originally appeared on Knoxville News Sentinel: Realignment plan for 3 NCAA super-conferences – SEC, Big Ten, Big 12

auburnwire.usatoday.com

A look at every five-star Auburn football has ever signed

Taylor Jones
8–10 minutes

After a couple of down years, Hugh Freeze and the rest of Auburn’s staff have Auburn recruiting as it should be.

Using the 247Sports Composite, they have the No. 18 class in the nation. This is extremely impressive when you consider that they have just 14 commits Alabama is the only school ahead of them with 14 or fewer commits.

Buy Tigers Tickets

The headliners of Auburn’s class are five-star prospects Perry Thompson and Demarcus Riddick. If Auburn can hold onto both it will be the first time they signed a five-star prospect since 2019 and just the sixth time since 2000 that they signed multiple in the same class.

The Tigers have signed 17 total composite five-stars since 2000, here is a look at each one of them and how their time at Auburn went.

2004.jpg

(Photo by Grant Halverson/Getty Images)

Class: 2000

Rating: .9853

Positional Ranking: No. 5 Pro QB

He was the first five-star in program history and he played like it, throwing for 7,299 yards and 45 touchdowns in his career. He went on to be drafted 25th overall by the Washington Commanders in the 2005 NFL draft.

USATSI_2107352.jpg

Dale Zanine-USA TODAY Sports Copyright (c) 2004 Dale Zanine

Class: 2001

Rating: .9936

Positional Ranking: No. 4 RB

Williams came in with plenty of hype and absolutely shattered all expectations. He rushed for 3,831 yards and 45 touchdowns in his four seasons as a Tiger. The Tampa Buccaneers drafted him fifth overall in the 2005 NFL draft and after a seven-year career, he entered the coaching ranks.

Where he once again exceeded expectations, Gus Malzahn hired him in 2019 as Auburn’s running back coach and he was retained by both Bryan Harsin and Hugh Freeze. His tenure as interim head coach after Harsin was fired reignited the Auburn fan base and showed why he is so highly thought of.

1646627.jpg

Photo by Erik S. Lesser/Getty Images)

Class: 2001

Rating: .9845

Positional Ranking: No. 4 OLB

From nearby Opelika, Rowell redshirted his freshman season due to eligibility concerns before playing in 12 games in 2002 and making 21 tackles.

He was dismissed from the team prior to the 2003 season. He elected to go the JUCO route and even recommitted to the Tigers but he never made his way back to the Plains and wound up at Jacksonville State.

USATSI_2107393.jpg

Photo by Dale Zanine USA TODAY Sports Copyright (c) 2004 Dale Zanine

Class: 2002

Rating: .9855

Positional Ranking: No. 4 WR

Obomanu’s claim as the only five-star wide receiver to sign with Auburn will be ending soon if the Tigers can hold onto Perry Thompson. He played in 50 games for the Tigers, snagging 88 receptions for 1,181 yards and 16 touchdowns. After finishing his NFL career he went to law school and is now an attorney.

USATSI_3192096.jpg

John Reed-USA TODAY Sports

Class: 2005

Rating: .9956

Positional Ranking: No. 1 OLB

Blackmon quickly became a rotational player for the Tigers but was never able to take the next step, partially due to injuries and suspensions. He totaled 84 tackles, 5.0 tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks for Auburn in three seasons.

USATSI_5014814.jpg

Marvin Gentry-USA TODAY Sports

Class: 2010

Rating: .9961

Positional Ranking: No. 1 RB

The highest-rated running back signee in program history, Dyer broke Bo Jackson’s rushing record with 1,093 yards and five touchdowns to help the Tigers win the 2010 national championship. He was even better as a sophomore, running for 1,242 yards and 10 touchdowns but his career took a turn late in the 2011 season. He was suspended for the bowl game and he left the program to reunite with Gus Malzahn at Arkansas State.

However, he was dismissed from the team and never played for Malzahn. He finished his career at Louisville, rushing for 704 yards and seven touchdowns in two seasons.

USATSI_7433819.jpg

Shanna Lockwood-USA TODAY Sports

Class: 2010

Rating: .9864

Positional Ranking: No. 3 ATH

Auburn recruited Reed to play wide receiver and after redshirting in 2010 he spent the next three years at wideout before transitioning to cornerback ahead of the 2014 season. He caught 39 passes for 384 yards and one touchdown as a receiver and intercepted three passes as a defender. After a brief professional career, he returned to Auburn and as the Director of Football & Recruiting Relations has been credited with helping turn around Auburn’s recruiting efforts.

USATSI_8155249.jpg

Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

Class: 2011

Position: .9929

Ranking: No. 3 OT

Westerman is the highest-ranked offensive lineman the program has ever signed but he wasn’t around for long. After redshirting in 2015, he only played in two games during the 2016 season before transferring to Arizona State.

USATSI_8164444.jpg

Class: 2013

Rating: .9947

Positional Ranking: No. 3 DT

Adams came in and was quickly a key member of the defensive line as a freshman. He appeared in 52 games during his four-year career, making 151 tackles, 21.0 tackles for loss and 11.0 sacks. He went on to be drafted by the Green Bay Packers in the third round of the 2017 NFL draft.

USATSI_8924072.jpg

Class: 2013

Rating: .9897

Positional Ranking: No. 1WDE

Lawson battled some injuries during his time at Auburn but he was dominant whenever he was on the field, making 67 tackles, 24.0 tackles for loss and 14.0 sacks in 34 career games. The Cincinnati Bengals drafted him in the third round of the 2017 NFL draft

USATSI_9025540.jpg

Marvin Gentry-USA TODAY Sports

Class: 2014

Rating: .9894

Positional Ranking: No. 4

Thomas appeared in 12 games in each of his both seasons but was limited to just 86 total carries due to Auburn’s deep running back room. He entered the transfer portal ahead of the 2015 season and ended up at Jaxson State and eventually had a brief NFL career.

usatsi_10404357.jpg

John David Mercer-USA TODAY Sports

Class: 2014

Rating: .9868

Positional Ranking: No. 2 ILB

Williams finished his time on the Plains with 188 tackles, 10.0 tackles for loss and 3.5 sacks. He was named a team captain his senior season in 2017. He is now the special teams coordinator and defensive assistant for South Alabama.

USATSI_8365772.jpg

Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports

Class: 2015

Rating: .9987

Positional Ranking: No. 1 SDE

Cowart is the highest-rated signee in program history but he was never able to crack the rotation at Auburn before he transferred out during the 2017 season. He finished his time at Auburn with 15 tackles in 14 games, before winding up at Maryland and eventually being drafted by the New England Patriots.

brown3.jpg

Matthew Emmons-USA TODAY Sports

Class: 2016

Rating: .9964

Positional Ranking: No. 4 DT

Brown capped off his sensational career with a 2019 season where he was named the SEC Defensive Player of the Year and a unanimous All-American. He elevated Auburn’s entire defense and finished his career with 170 tackles, 33.5 tackles for loss, 13.0 sacks and five forced fumbles before being drafted by the Carolina Panthers with the No. 7 overall pick in the 2020 draft.

884582872.jpg

Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images

Class: 2017

Rating: .9870

Positional Ranking: No. 6 OT

Ashley redshirted in the 2017 season and appeared in eight games in 2018 before transferring to FAMU ahead of the 2019 season.

USATSI_17062475.jpg

Class: 2019

Rating: .9878

Positional Ranking: No. 1 OLB

An immediate contributor as a freshman, Pappoe made 256 tackles, 15.0 tackles for loss and 8.0 sacks in his four years on the Plains. He was named a team captain twice and was drafted by the Arizona Cardinals in the fifth round of the 2023 NFL draft.

USATSI_16688253.jpg

Class: 2019

Rating: .9856

Positional Ranking: No. 1 Dual QB

The combination of coming to Auburn as a five-star and being the son of former quarterback Patrick Nix made expectations sky-high for Bo. He quickly met them as a freshman, winning the starting job but was never able to become efficient as he dealt with several different head coaches and offensive coordinators and transferred to Oregon after his junior season. He finished his Auburn career with 7,251 passing yards and 39 touchdowns as well as 18 rushing touchdowns.

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Oscar Chapman named to the Ray Guy Award watch list

JD McCarthy
1–2 minutes

Auburn punter Oscar Chapman has been named to the Ray Guy Award watch list. He is one of 50 punters to make the watchlist, which will be given to college football’s best punter in December, the Augusta Sports Council announced Wednesday.

From Adelaide, South Australia, Chapman is entering his fourth season as Auburn’s starting punter and was a semifinalist for the award last year after averaging 43.8 yards on 57 punts. He also pinned opposing offenses inside their own 20-yard line 18 times and had 12 punts go over 50 yards.

Buy Tigers Tickets

A complete list of candidates for the award will be released on Nov. 6 and on Nov. 10 the Ray Guy Award committee will announce 10 semifinalists. The winner will then be announced in December from three finalists.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. You can also follow JD on Twitter @jdmccarthy15.

auburnwire.usatoday.com

On3 takes a crack at predicting Auburn's QB competition

Taylor Jones

2–3 minutes

The calendar has turned to August, which means that the Auburn Tigers will be playing football within a month’s time.

Because it is close to kickoff, it is time to start discussing the impending quarterback battle between incumbent starter Robby Ashford and Michigan State transfer Payton Thorne.

Buy Tigers Tickets

Both quarterbacks bring exciting qualities to the table. Thorne is a three-year starter and has led the Spartans to a New Year’s Six bowl win. As for Ashford, he brings a dual-threat skillset to the field and has spent a few months longer in Freeze’s system.

While the race is still too early to call, On3 has taken the time to predict who will win Auburn’s quarterback battle.

On3’s Jesse Simonton has taken the time to predict nine of the country’s top quarterback battles heading into fall camp. As for Auburn, Simonton predicts that the new kid on the block will take the reigns of the offense this season, but thinks that Ashford will find his way onto the field.

Hugh Freeze wasn’t crazy about Auburn’s quarterback situation exiting spring practice, bringing in former Michigan State starter Payton Thorne to battle with Ashford in fall camp. Thorne doesn’t have a tremendous ceiling, but he did help the Spartans win 11 games in 2021 (3,200 passing yards and 27 touchdowns) and has ample game experience (2,679 yards and 19 touchdowns last season).

In all likelihood both with play, as Ashford is too dynamic of an athlete (709 rushing yards and seven touchdowns in 2022) to simply hold the QB2 role.

Other battles that Simonton predicts include Alabama, Georgia, Florida, and Texas A&M.

auburnwire.usatoday.com

D.J. James named to Nagurski Trophy watch list

JD McCarthy

1–2 minutes

After his breakout season last year, Auburn cornerback D.J. James is entering his second season on the Plains with plenty of hype and was just named to the 2023 Bronko Nagurski Trophy watch list.

The award is given annually to the nation’s most outstanding defensive player by the Football Writers Association of America. The watch list currently has 94 members but can grow as the season progresses.

Buy Tigers Tickets

James spent three seasons at Oregon before transferring to Auburn ahead of the 2022 season. He immediately became one of their top defenders, making 37 tackles, breaking up eight passes and recording the first pick-six of his career.

The Mobile native also received recognition at SEC Media Days back in July, being named to the All-SEC Third Team.

The winner of the award will be unveiled on Dec. 4 at the Bronko Nagurski Awards Banquet in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. You can also follow JD on Twitter @jdmccarthy15.