8.3.23 Football Articles

aubiefifty

al.com

Jarquez Hunter not on the field as part of Auburn’s first fall practice

Updated: Aug. 03, 2023, 10:27 a.m.|Published: Aug. 03, 2023, 10:02 a.m.
~2 minutes

Jarquez Hunter

Auburn running back Jarquez Hunter carries the ball against Texas A&M during the second half of an NCAA college football game Saturday, Nov. 12, 2022, in Auburn, Ala. (AP Photo/Butch Dill)AP

Auburn running back Jarquez Hunter was not on the field for the team’s first fall practice Thursday.

Before practice, head coach Hugh Freeze declined to comment on Hunter’s status, which keeps in line with his remarks at SEC Media Days in July.

“I’ll say this again: I understand the question but matters related to team rules and procedures, they’re handled internally and they will not be discussed publicly,” Freeze said when addressing the media Thursday.

Hunter’s status going forward remains unclear. Auburn has not stated anything official on Hunter, but he does remain on the roster.

During the offseason, a sex tape was leaked on social media that is rumored to show Hunter. Auburn announced suspensions and that it is conducting an investigation but the statement did not include the number of players involved.

Freeze also discussed the rest of the running back room if Hunter is not available.

“I loved our running back room in spring and I’m excited about adding [Jeremiah] Cobb and [Brian] Battie,” Freeze said. “I think we have good players here. I think Damari [Alston] has been one of the best leaders on our team this entire summer and spring.”

If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation. By browsing this site, we may share your information with our social media partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

You think you could post fall camp articles in that thread. I see where things are getting double posted. You don’t have to but that way folks can get camp news in one place. Thanks for all you do.

Just now, toddc said:

You think you could post fall camp articles in that thread. I see where things are getting double posted. You don’t have to but that way folks can get camp news in one place. Thanks for all you do.

brother i was told to do all auburn articles in one thread. you jumped in there on me and have not said a word. you want to do it all i will be glad to give it to you. i am going to do what i was told. you do what you need. and this is not meant bad in anyway. but you want i will be glad to give it to you.

Just now, aubiefifty said:

brother i was told to do all auburn articles in one thread. you jumped in there on me and have not said a word. you want to do it all i will be glad to give it to you. i am going to do what i was told. you do what you need. and this is not meant bad in anyway. but you want i will be glad to give it to you.

Alrighty then. Something like fall camp deserves a stand alone thread, but you do what you were told sir ! 😆 

1 minute ago, toddc said:

Alrighty then. Something like fall camp deserves a stand alone thread, but you do what you were told sir ! 😆 

ok bro. i started this and i throw a little bit of everything in there. you can laugh but i started this way before you jumped  in. again show your real Auburn Spirit and do it every single day. i am having health issues so if you want to do the dailies let me know.

al.com

Fall practice starts Thursday. What's the deal with Auburn's QB battle?

Updated: Aug. 03, 2023, 8:59 a.m.|Published: Aug. 03, 2023, 6:00 a.m.
6–8 minutes

Auburn’s first-year head coach Hugh Freeze has experience in the SEC, which is an invaluable asset and was likely one of the most attractive things about his hiring in December — especially after Bryan Harsin’s SEC-blind tenure went as south as it did.

Freeze’s time as the head coach at Ole Miss probably taught him a lot about the SEC, including how vital a team’s quarterback play is to a program’s performance. Fortunately for Freeze, he found success in quarterbacks Bo Wallace and Shea Patterson, who remains two of the Rebels’ better quarterbacks in the past decade.

Now on The Plains, Freeze knows he needs to elevate the Tigers’ quarterback play if he wants to start righting the ship in Year 1.

Does that mean using some spit shine to further develop sophomore Robby Ashford? Does is mean riding with junior Michigan State transfer Payton Thorne? Or does it mean throwing one of the younger quarterbacks on the roster into the fire?

When Freeze met with the media during SEC Media Days, he sounded far from having those answers.

But with fall camp getting underway and Auburn’s season opener against UMass just a month out, Freeze not only knows he needs to find those answers quickly.

Here’s a case for each of the guys battling for Auburn’s starting quarterback spot as fall camp gets underway Thursday.

Robby Ashford

If Robby Ashford were being coached by the same staff as last fall, it’d be easy to give Ashford a leg up for being more familiar with the playbook. But considering few know what Auburn’s offense will look like under Freeze and offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery, that isn’t the case.

Granted, Ashford was around during the spring, so he’s been around Freeze and Montgomery longer than Thorne, who didn’t transfer until after the spring game in May.

But everyone knows Ashford’s true upside doesn’t come from knowing the playbook better than the guy next to him, but it comes from his ability to make plays with his legs.

Last fall, Ashford tallied 710 rushing yards on 153 carries, good for 4.6 yards per carry. Ashford also added seven touchdowns on the ground. In last season’s Iron Bowl, Ashford rushed for a season-high 121 yards and a pair of touchdowns.

Looking at his sheer athleticism, Ashford’s ceiling is high. However, at the quarterback spot, that can only get a guy so far — especially in this league.

Alabama

Holding Ashford back is his inconsistencies through the passing game.

In 2022, Ashford completed 49% of his passes and had the same number of touchdown passes that he had interceptions at seven apiece. His 1,613 passing yards last season ranked him 12th among the SEC’s 14 quarterbacks, only coming ahead of Vanderbilt’s AJ Swann (1,274) and Texas A&M’s Haynes King (1,220).

However, to be fair to the sophomore signal caller, Auburn’s offensive line was porous last season. The Tigers ranked 78th nationally in sacks allowed in 2022, having given up 30 sacks through 12 games.

Fortunately, regardless of who takes snaps, Auburn’s offensive line should be improved this season after bringing in a handful of experience linemen from the transfer portal.

Payton Thorne

The addition of junior Michigan State transfer Payton Thorne isn’t to say Freeze was totally unhappy with Auburn’s quarterback play after the Tigers’ spring game.

Regardless of if Freeze felt he had a starting quarterback on his roster prior to Thorne’s arrival to The Plains, Freeze knew his quarterback room was green. In the spring, Ashford, a rising sophomore, was Auburn’s most experienced signal caller with just nine career starts.

So Freeze wet a line in the transfer portal and reeled Thorne away from Michigan State, where the rising junior quarterback was likely to start his third season with the Spartans.

AUBURN, AL - 2023.04.03 - Spring Practice

During his three seasons in East Lansing, Thorne tallied 26 career starts, 6,494 passing yards with a 60.9% completion rating, 49 passing touchdowns and 24 interceptions.

Thorne had his biggest season in 2021, passing for 3,233 yards, 27 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. Last season, Thorne saw a slight dip in his passing numbers (2,679 yards, 19 TD, 11 INT), but was overall more efficient in 2022 as his completion rating rose from 60% to 63%.

Now, while Thorne has proven himself the better passer of he and Ashford, the transfer quarterback doesn’t bring near as much athleticism to the table. In three seasons, Thorne rushed for just 270 yards and six touchdowns.

Again, if Auburn gets absolutely nothing else from Thorne, who Vegas predicts to win the starting job, the Tigers added a seasoned figure and proven leader to an otherwise young quarterback room.

Holden Geriner

Auburn has a young, talented and low-lying quarterback on its roster in redshirt freshman Holden Geriner.

Geriner redshirted last fall after coming to The Plains as a 4-star recruit out of Savannah, Ga., where he passed for more than 7,000 yards and 71 touchdowns in high school. He also won a state title his senior season.

In his final two seasons of high school, Geriner completed 67% of his passes and tossed 61 touchdowns to just seven interceptions. ESPN went on to list Geriner as the ninth-ranked quarterback in the 2022 recruiting cycle.

AUBURN, AL - 2023.03.01 - Spring Practice

AUBURN, AL - March 01, 2023 - Auburn Quarterback Holden Geriner (#12) during spring practice at the Woltosz Football Performance Center in Auburn, AL. Photo by Declan GreeneAuburn University Athletics

In a recent interview with AL.com, ESPN college football analyst Cole Cubelic said Geriner’s name “keeps coming up” in he and Freeze’s conversations and that he doesn’t believe it’s by mistake. And many others believe Geriner has the potential to be a Saturday starter somewhere down the line.

What’s Freeze’s timeline?

During SEC Media Days, Freeze said to reporters that he told offensive coordinator Montgomery and special assistant Kent Austin to present to him a plan prior to fall camp.

Freeze went on to praise true freshman Hank Brown, but hinted that it wasn’t realistic to throw a fourth quarterback into the real competition with just a month to prepare for Week 1.

“Realistically you can’t get four kids reps in camp,” Freeze said. “So probably it’s going to be those other three for the first 10 days, trying to get enough reps to where we get it down to at least two guys and then move from there.”

If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation. By browsing this site, we may share your information with our social media partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.