2023 Fall Camp Thread

toddc

1 hour ago, cbo said:

Schedule sets up nicely. We have a little time to figure it out. Who knows what could happen. 

Yeah. 3 games and a weak road game before we head to A&M. Let's iron it out an diet ranked before UGA

• Like 1

• Like 4
  • Love 1

And equally importantly we have a QB who can get it to them >50% of the time.  

They complement each other

16 hours ago, DAG said:

Very very similar is pushing it. They are akin with going fast and implementing the QB read into the offense. That is pretty much where it stops. 

You missed the "schooled in" part. I didnt say necessarily currently, that's the point...we'll see. Cam Brown however (just as one example) hinted at a return to the "Auburn Fast" O. 

Edited by aucanucktiger

17 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

One of the parts of this season I'm most interested in is seeing how much of a flashback it is to Gus as OC. He & Freeze are schooled in a very, very similar O ideology.

The passing concepts will be vastly different.    The run game will have some similarities.   The tempo is probably the biggest similarity.   Hugh has continued to adapt his offense a lot!(another major difference)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Freshman DL pushing for starting job

AUBURN | When that phone rings at midnight, Jeremy Garrett already knows who’s calling.

Freshman Keldric Faulk is driven to achieve greatness so if he’s made an error in practice or doesn’t understand a scheme, he’s calling his defensive line coach regardless of the time.

“If there's a mistake being made, Keldric’s gonna call me at midnight and we'll talk through it,” said Garrett. “It's funny because it's the same way he was in recruiting — midnight conversations.

Faulk goes through a drill during fall camp. (Austin Perryman/Auburn athletics)

“So I told him, ‘Hey man, you call me. I'm here to help. My job is you.’ That's what I tell all my guys: ‘My job is you guys, so whatever I can do to help, you call.’ My family understands that I'm on call.”

Faulk, the highest-rated signee in Auburn’s 2023 class, enrolled in January and worked at Jack linebacker during spring drills. He’s transitioned to defensive end for fall camp.

“It’s more physical,” said Garrett. “It’s going to require more strain because every play there’s going to be the tackle or the tackle and the tight end on you every time. So it’s going to require a little more physically out of you. But he’s doing a good job.”

Faulk, 6-foot-6 and 288 pounds, is competing with senior Mosiah Nasili-Kite, a Maryland transfer, junior Zykeivous Walker and freshman Wilky Denaud for the starting d-end position.

“He’s in there fighting for the job,” said defensive coordinator Ron Roberts. “I don’t know how it’s going to pan out the next couple of weeks, but he’s going to be an impact player for us this season.”

It’s rare for a true freshman to start along the defensive line in the SEC. Not only does it take an unusual combination of size, strength and athleticism, but it also requires a lot of mental and physical toughness.

Faulk appears to possess all of the above.

“You get a kid with want-to and drive and he's mentally wanting to go,” said Garrett. “He's not tapping out of practice. He may get tired but he's gonna go. And then he wants to improve.”

Auburn will hold its seventh practice of fall drills Friday morning.

• Like 1

How former Virginia Tech commit Stephen Sings wound up at Auburn

“Man, Steve is just so genuine and grateful. He works so hard. You're going to see a crazy motor."

Nathan King

Stephen Sings V was the lone transfer to follow a handful of his former coaches from Liberty to Auburn this offseason. But his journey to the Plains isn’t all that cut and dry.

Though there aren’t any coaches left from that staff, Sings held an offer from Auburn back in the 2020 class, when he was a 3-star prospect from Charlotte, North Carolina. In the fall of 2019, Sings decommitted from Virginia Tech, then chose Hugh Freeze and Liberty a few months later.

Sings had some academic issues, though, and Liberty’s coaches weren’t completely confident they could sign him in the 2020 class. Sings may have had to go the JUCO route before COVID-19, when some academic roadblocks were lowered.

“Steve was committed to Virginia Tech,” Josh Aldridge, Auburn’s first-year linebackers coach and Liberty’s defensive coordinator last season, said Thursday. “He had some academic problems, then COVID hit, and they waived everything academically. We swooped in at Liberty and got him before anybody else signed him.

“He's a Power Five football player.”

Becoming the No. 5 highest-rated recruit to ever sign with Liberty, Sings was a rotational piece for the Flames each of the past three years. He’s had at least three tackles for loss each season, and 2022 was his best year, posting 3.5 sacks and batting down three passes at the line of scrimmage. Sings played most of his snaps at defensive end with Liberty, but Aldridge recruited him to Auburn to play the jack position at outside linebacker.

While Sings may not have appeared to be one of Auburn’s higher-profile transfer pickups this offseason when the Tigers added him in May, it’s feasible to say right now that he could be Auburn’s No. 2 pass-rusher in fall camp so far, behind App State transfer Jalen McLeod.

McLeod has garnered serious praise through two weeks of camp as an explosive and “unbelievable” talent off the edge, defensive line coach Jeremy Garrett said, and has become the team’s preferred option at jack linebacker as a result. But McLeod is a bit smaller in that role, at 6-foot-1 and 235 pounds, meaning he’ll likely be reserved primarily for passing downs.

Sings, at 6-foot-3 and 248 pounds, has a bit more size and could be deployed on earlier downs to give Auburn more physicality at the edge of its defensive front. Vanderbilt transfer Elijah McAllister, at 6-foot-6 and 271 pounds, also fits that same mold, though Sings has been ahead of him in the majority of defensive alignments in preseason practices so far.

“He’s a physical player,” said Garrett, who was Sings’ position coach at Liberty last year. “He’s going to work extremely hard. You won’t have to tell him to work. He works hard and he’s going to be physical. You can expect that every single practice, every single day. He’s not going to complain. He’s going to work. I think he’s done a good job, and it’s showing up on tape for him.”

With Sings back in the Power Five after all, four years after backing off his Virginia Tech pledge, his attitude and positivity with his new program have been just as noticeable to his coaches — some new, some he has plenty of familiarity with — as his production on the practice field. Sings wasn’t regarded as a flashy pickup in Auburn’s loaded transfer class, but he’s appearing to position himself to be an important one in 2023.

“Man, Steve is just so genuine and grateful,” Aldridge said. “He works so hard. You're going to see a crazy motor. You watch him and Jalen — regardless of their athletic ability, they play so flippin' hard, both of them. It's fun to watch. You're going to get a high motor guy and a guy who is going to leave it all out there every Saturday.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

You missed the "schooled in" part. I didnt say necessarily currently, that's the point...we'll see. Cam Brown however (just as one example) hinted at a return to the "Auburn Fast" O. 

That literally does not change the context of my post, if you mean they like to go fast and utilize the QB in the run game then yes, but you might as well add a host of other coaches who do that. Going fast was also noted as a similarity but they have vastly different concepts. Mike leach liked to go fast too, it is nowhere near the same concept of offense as what Hugh Freeze runs. I mean do you think Coach Montgomery runs a very very similar offense to Gus? Highly doubt that. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Yeah. 3 games and a weak road game before we head to A&M. Let's iron it out an diet ranked before UGA

I got bored last night and watched the first couple games of offensive plays only of 2013.  Our offense, specifically Nick Marshall, was not good.  Tons of penalties and Nick couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn.  I started thinking that this year may start similar.  It’s going to take a couple games to get rhythm and timing down between the Qb and WRs.  2013 turned out ok.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I got bored last night and watched the first couple games of offensive plays only of 2013.  Our offense, specifically Nick Marshall, was not good.  Tons of penalties and Nick couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn.  I started thinking that this year may start similar.  It’s going to take a couple games to get rhythm and timing down between the Qb and WRs.  2013 turned out ok.

We are going to absolutely have those 1st year games where we probably out talent people but everything is going wrong.  Bama vs LaMo and UGA vs Vandy come to mind.  Hopefully we don't have those games.  Or if we do they are vs 3/4 bad teams on our schedule and we can recover.  

Umass - get some kinks out

Cal - Look better, road game kinks/processes set.

Samford - Destroy them

A&M - Destroy them

UGA - Destroy them

etc...etc.

2 hours ago, toddc said:

Listened to this yesterday. Super talented young man and very bright. He’s going to be a factor in the NFL. 

Edited by Gowebb11

JUCO DL a ‘special talent’

Bryan Matthews • AuburnSports

Senior Editor

@BMattAU

AUBURN | Quientrail Jamison-Travis still has a ways to go when it comes to being in game shape and understanding the defense.

But when he gets there, Auburn may have a special talent on their hands.

The junior college defensive lineman, who goes by Bobby, arrived in AU just a day before the start of fall camp.

Jamison-Travis is playing his way into shape during fall camp. (Austin Perryman/Auburn athletics)

“He’s a special talent,” said defensive coordinator Ron Roberts. “He has all the talent stuff. He was not here this summer so he’s a little far behind. We’re trying to play catch-up with him on a mental standpoint, what’s going on and what he has to do. He will impact and he’ll be a big part, because he’s a talented individual.

“So he’s got to play himself into shape. He wasn’t here for the summer for conditioning, weight-lifting, all that kind of stuff, probably a little bit out of shape, a little behind mentally right now, so we haven’t really seen what he’s capable of doing.”

Jamison-Travis, 6-foot-4 and 320 pounds, totaled 90 tackles, 20.0 tackles-for-loss and 10.5 sacks in two seasons at Iowa Western. He's been working mainly at defensive tackle and noseguard during the first week of fall camp.

One of the shrewdest moves that the Tigers’ coaching staff made was to room Jamison-Travis with senior defensive lineman Marcus Harris.

“He looks amazing. He's just naturally strong,” said Harris. “He kind of doesn't know the defense yet … We’re gonna get together a lot, and I'm gonna teach him the plays and teach him the technique. His eagerness to learn — he wants to learn. He's coming around, asking me questions all the time. He just wants to know and wants to get better.

“I can't wait to see once he's fully getting the aspect of the defense and fully locked in, I'm ready to see what he can do.”

18 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Cause it makes em look like a bunch of goomba’s.

Goomba vs brain damage.

I dunno.

1 minute ago, Paladin said:

JUCO DL a ‘special talent’

Bryan Matthews • AuburnSports

Senior Editor

@BMattAU

AUBURN | Quientrail Jamison-Travis still has a ways to go when it comes to being in game shape and understanding the defense.

But when he gets there, Auburn may have a special talent on their hands.

The junior college defensive lineman, who goes by Bobby, arrived in AU just a day before the start of fall camp.

Jamison-Travis is playing his way into shape during fall camp. (Austin Perryman/Auburn athletics)

“He’s a special talent,” said defensive coordinator Ron Roberts. “He has all the talent stuff. He was not here this summer so he’s a little far behind. We’re trying to play catch-up with him on a mental standpoint, what’s going on and what he has to do. He will impact and he’ll be a big part, because he’s a talented individual.

“So he’s got to play himself into shape. He wasn’t here for the summer for conditioning, weight-lifting, all that kind of stuff, probably a little bit out of shape, a little behind mentally right now, so we haven’t really seen what he’s capable of doing.”

Jamison-Travis, 6-foot-4 and 320 pounds, totaled 90 tackles, 20.0 tackles-for-loss and 10.5 sacks in two seasons at Iowa Western. He's been working mainly at defensive tackle and noseguard during the first week of fall camp.

One of the shrewdest moves that the Tigers’ coaching staff made was to room Jamison-Travis with senior defensive lineman Marcus Harris.

“He looks amazing. He's just naturally strong,” said Harris. “He kind of doesn't know the defense yet … We’re gonna get together a lot, and I'm gonna teach him the plays and teach him the technique. His eagerness to learn — he wants to learn. He's coming around, asking me questions all the time. He just wants to know and wants to get better.

“I can't wait to see once he's fully getting the aspect of the defense and fully locked in, I'm ready to see what he can do.”

Didn't really expect much out of him,  need someone behind Harris.

Where did the kid from Purdue go?  Haven't heard his name much

5 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Didn't really expect much out of him,  need someone behind Harris.

Where did the kid from Purdue go?  Haven't heard his name much

I've seen Lawrence Johnson's name mentioned as a possible backup, but I am doubtful he sees many meaningful minutes. Probably be on the 3rd team.