2023 Fall Camp Thread

toddc

Rogers adds size, strength to a defensive line group looking to show improvement

Auburn's Justin Rogers is a huge addition in the middle of the Auburn defense.

Jason Caldwell

AUBURN, Alabama—The highest-ranked recruit on Auburn’s roster, Kentucky transfer Justin Rogers is a player the Tigers brought in to make an immediate impact for a defense that allowed 172.7 yards per game on the ground last season and gave up more than 245 yards in four different games.

A huge presence in the middle of the defense at 6-3, 346, Rogers is a player that has made an impact since he walked on campus, said fellow massive defensive lineman Jayson Jones.

“Justin is a great athlete,” Jones said of his fellow interior lineman. “He’s pushing me. Justin is a very strong guy and great at the point of attack. His motor is on go.

There is no questioning Rogers’ size and strength in the middle, but in the Southeastern Conference that’s not enough. That’s why he’s working improving all parts of his game as he heads into his first season with the Tigers.

“It's really just working my hands,” he said. “Just keep working my hands and just listening to the coaches here and seeing what little stuff I can get better (at), because I feel like it's my last year but I need to get everything that I need to do to get to the next level.”

Coming off a scrimmage where the offense was able to have success running the football, Rogers and the defensive line are looking to continue to take strides. Jones agreed with his teammate, saying this Saturday is an important day for Auburn’s front four as they continue to prepare for the 2023 season.

“I just want to see effort, honestly,” Jones said. “We can coach the other stuff. The other stuff is correctable. I want to see effort. I want to see strain. I want to see teamwork. I want to see that type of stuff, because everything else is correctable. You can correct technique. You can correct, ‘Oh, if you’re in the wrong gap, OK, make sure you’re in this gap.’ But you can’t correct effort.”

That’s the next step for a group that is trying to show it belongs among the best in the Southeastern Conference. Rogers said the talent is there and the numbers. Now it’s just about continuing to improve.

“I think we can be a top-three defense in the SEC, definitely,” Rogers said. “Because Marcus, Jayson Jones, me, Mo (Nasili-Kite), Lawrence (Johnson) —really everybody in our room, we're all good. And we're going to keep pushing ourselves and Coach JG (Jeremy Garrett) going to keep pushing us to get to that top three.”

• Thanks 1

Auburn defense 'needs to step it up a little bit' after first scrimmage

“I just want to see effort, honestly. We can coach the other stuff. The other stuff is correctable. I want to see effort."

Nathan King

The Tigers echoed the same notes as their head coach about their first scrimmage of the preseason.

Saturday morning’s scrimmage inside Jordan-Hare Stadium left Auburn’s defense wanting more heading into the third week of camp. Hugh Freeze said the run game — and, in turn, the offensive line — were strengths, and that he was also pleased with the pass rush. The defense’s tackling, he said, left some to be desired, and the Tigers immediately went to work at Monday’s practice aiming to fix the issues they saw on tape.

“I think everybody needs to step it up a little bit,” senior safety Zion Puckett said. “You know, that was our first scrimmage, first time tackling since what? Spring? And then a lot of people from high school. I think just emphasizing more on tackling.”

Monday’s practice featured an emphasis on tackling, but pass-rusher Jalen McLeod said Auburn’s defense also needed to play better assignment football. Some of the problems came pre-snap, he said, which is a common focal point for coaches at this point in the preseason — especially with as many newcomers as Auburn has.

“Being assigned,” McLeod said. “We know where we need to line up at. The biggest negative for the defense as a whole, I think, was tackling. We're just missing too many tackles. But we're getting that fixed. We're making sure we do a lot of drills. Today, we did a lot of drills, made sure we tackled better, rolled up, wrapped up, whatever we've got to do to get them down. That's the main thing we've got to do as a defense — just tackle. Too many missed tackles.”

There were plenty of moments for the passing game, Freeze said, and both Robby Ashford and Holden Geriner threw touchdowns. Payton Thorne had multiple throws to the end zone that were ruled out of bounds but almost resulted in scores. But Freeze said the receivers were a bit too inconsistent for his liking, making incorrect decisions on option plays, and occasionally running the wrong route.

The tailbacks, on the other hand, received ample praise. Damari Alston broke off a long touchdown run down the sideline, and Jarquez Hunter and Brian Battie were both lauded for strong performances, too.

“I think we ran the ball really well,” fifth-year senior center Jalil Irvin said Monday. “... I think the offense — obviously we can get better in certain aspects — but for the most part we did what we were supposed to do and handled it pretty well.”

In fairness to the defense, Freeze said they “dominated the latter part of the scrimmage,” noting that the heat began to take its toll on the offense’s tempo and execution, and that they were “gassed a bit.”

The Tigers’ more experienced defenders aren’t satisfied, though.

“We all have something to work on,” nose tackle Jayson Jones said when asked how Saturday’s scrimmage went. “Whether that’s conditioning, whether that’s getting your body right, whether that’s technique or learning pass rush better or run defense better, just a whole bunch of stuff. We’re doing that. I have full trust in this D-line.”

Auburn scrimmages again this Saturday, which will mark its 13th practice of the preseason. While plenty of attention will be on the quarterback competition and how it transpires — and is possibly trimmed down from three contenders to two — this week, Auburn’s defensive leaders will be pushing their peers to improve upon their first showing in Jordan-Hare Stadium.

“I just want to see effort, honestly,” Jones said. “We can coach the other stuff. The other stuff is correctable. I want to see effort. I want to see strain. I want to see teamwork. I want to see that type of stuff, because everything else is correctable.”

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Anything other than drastic would be a disappointment on the Oline IMO.  Let’s see how they do in live action.

• Like 1

Damari Alston's improvement as runner, leader 'very inspiring' to Auburn

Cadillac Williams has seen the sophomore tailback make massive strides this offseason, on and off the field

Nathan King10 mins

Damari Alston doesn’t go anywhere without his notebook.

At least in preseason camp, that is. The sophomore keeps it open and furiously jots down Cadillac Williams’ teachings in every meeting with the running back room. He says he’s inspired by his coach and wants to be like him — which, of course, would be a significant goal for any player, considering all that Williams accomplished on the field at Auburn, and now on the sidelines.

“I have so many notes written down in my notebook about just the things that he says to us, and I take it, and I run with it,” Alston said. “And I use it to my knowledge, because he's been through everything that I've been through. He's played the game at this level. He's played in the NFL. And I just feel like taking notes from him definitely evolved the way that I approached the field, the way that I lead my team.”

But Williams said Alston isn’t all that similar to him in terms of his leadership. In some ways, Williams said he’s better.

“Damari, the thing he does a really good job of — it's just head over heels for me — is he has a way of not only leading by example, but he also has that voice,” Williams said Tuesday. “Again, I was a quiet leader, led by example. Damari is the guy that leads by example but can capture guys — the way he talks to them, the way he brings in guys. He's just very active in making sure the team is good. He wants to be the guy that quiets the storm.

“... Damari is wise beyond his years, man. Just so wise beyond his years.”

Williams said last fall camp that Alston acted tentatively — which is to be expected from a true freshman, especially one in a talented room like the group that included Tank Bigsby and Jarquez Hunter. It reminded Williams of his first year in the program back in 2001: “It’s something I can’t really show guys — they’ve just got to experience it for themselves."

‌Alston experienced it. He’s now a true sophomore after appearing in 11 games. And that experience helped realize the improvements necessary to step up into a significant role in 2023.

“In the offseason I was like, ‘I’ve just got to be different,’” Alston said. “If I want to get to the goals that I’m trying to achieve, I literally have to be different. I have to do things that other people aren’t doing at specific times. I have to take the next step. I’m doing what’s required, but I’m also going to do a little bit more. You’re going to see me, most of the times I’m the last one off the field. That’s just how I roll. I’ve got to be different.”’

Making a case this preseason to be Auburn’s No. 2 running back behind Hunter, Alston has been a consistent performer through nine practices of camp. It’s a deep room — maybe the most balanced Auburn’s had in a few years — with Hunter and Alston, plus USF transfer Brian Battie and 4-star freshman Jeremiah Cobb.

But amongst the crowd, Alston has been able to stand out, with more than a few big plays in practice settings — and that carried over into last Saturday’s scrimmage. The tailbacks had a number of strong runs — Hugh Freeze also complimented Hunter and Battie — but it was Alston who broke a long touchdown run early in the scrimmage.

“We were gassing — ‘gas’ is our tempo,” Alston said of the play. “I saw the hole, and I think it was about a 65- or 70-yard run that I broke down the sideline. Ran straight past the safety (Zion Puckett), and that was it.”

On his touchdown runs this preseason, Alston throws up the “deuces” while trotting into the end zone. He hopes the celebration sticks this season because it’s the only one he has in his arsenal right now.

“I mean, I don't have another one planned,” Alston said with a laugh. “That was just kind of natural, because I was just blowing past a guy. I think I'm going to stick with that, and hopefully the crowd catch on, they throw up the deuces, too.”

Offensive line coach Jake Thornton — whose Ole Miss unit paved the way last year for Quinshon Judkins, who ran for 1,567 yards and 16 touchdowns as a true freshman — thinks there will be plenty of those opportunities for Alston to flash his signature celebration.

“I’ve been fortunate to be around some good ones, but he’s as explosive as anyone I’ve been around,” Thornton said.

From the outside, a second-year player who’s carried the ball only 14 times at the college level might not be expected to be a leader. But Alston is a magnetic personality, and he’s taken notes from not only his position coach, but the leader of the group last season.

“I learned a lot from Tank and his leadership,” Alston said. “One of my goals coming into this next year I just wanted to be a leader and do anything I can to help the team out. I feel like I embraced that role during winter workouts but really started during summer workouts. I feel like I took a leadership role, took it to the next level.”

He did. Alston was brought onto Auburn’s “culture council,” a leadership team implemented by Freeze. The head coach said Alston was voted in unanimously to a group that also includes far more experienced players like Elijah McAllister, Keionte Scott, Jayson Jones, Payton Thorne and Luke Deal, among others. Sophomore receiver Jay Fair is another youngster on the council.

It sure makes Williams proud — especially after what he knows hasn’t always been a smoothly paved road for Alston.

“The kid had some things go down in his life where he had to grow up fast,” Williams said. “He had to kind of be that light for mom, dad, sister, family. I just think that's who he is as a person. He has accepted that. We, the Auburn family and Auburn players, we get to benefit from that. It's honestly a joy to watch and to see a young man so humble and wise. Just always trying to serve and be there for others. It's very inspiring to watch him, to be honest with you.”

• Like 1
  • Love 2

• Like 2
  • Love 2

• Love 3

• Like 2
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, Paladin said:

love it! he is from my hometown and everyone says he is a great guy. he calls gadsden home but he played for etowah which is attalla.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2023 at 7:48 PM, NWALA Tiger said:

So, who wants to go on a limb and predict the QB pecking order? If his mind was made up until today,  what happened ?

I got a scrimmage update today.  Nothing too dramatic but here is what I have  from a current player's perspective (btw Acuna just hit a dong to dead center).  Holden had a really good scrimmage.  No surprise, our receivers are beat up.  The receivers that scrimmaged were running the wrong routes and were dropping balls (CHF mentioned the first issue but not the drops).  The receivers' mistakes made it hard for the offense to stay in rhythm and to judge the QBs.  Even considering the circumstances, Thorne didn't look great.   Rivaldo is a freak/will have an incredible year.  McLeod is another freak.  Robbie is a polarizing figure on the team.         

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

I got a scrimmage update today.  Nothing too dramatic but here is what I have  from a current player's perspective (btw Acuna just hit a dong to dead center).  Holden had a really good scrimmage.  No surprise, our receivers are beat up.  The receivers that scrimmaged were running the wrong routes and were dropping balls (CHF mentioned the first issue but not the drops).  The receivers' mistakes made it hard for the offense to stay in rhythm and to judge the QBs.  Even considering the circumstances, Thorne didn't look great.   Rivaldo is a freak/will have an incredible year.  McLeod is another freak.  Robbie is a polarizing figure on the team.         

Good polorizing or bad polorizi g if you know?

1 minute ago, Hank2020 said:

Good polorizing or bad polorizi g if you know?

He is immature, and I'm trying to be fair and careful.   Loaded with talent!!! but just has never had anyone take him under their wing.

44 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

The article I just read on al.com said that PT and RA spent time with the ones today and HG was on the other side of the field with the twos. The article implied the obvious that that meant that HG was third in the race. Based on bits and pieces I've read from earlier articles I tend to think the opposite, I think HG had solidified himself at least at the two spot. RA is getting final opportunity with the ones and PT simply needs more reps in the system. 

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2023/08/observations-from-practice-no-10-did-auburn-narrow-its-qb-battle.html

Edited by gr82be
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, gr82be said:

The article I just read on al.com said that PT and RA spent time with the ones today and HG was on the other side of the field with the twos. The article implied the obvious that that meant that HG was third in the race. Based on bits and pieces I've read from earlier articles I tend to think the opposite, I think HG had solidified himself at least at the two spot. RA is getting final opportunity with the ones and PT simply needs more reps in the system. 

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2023/08/observations-from-practice-no-10-did-auburn-narrow-its-qb-battle.html

We’ll see how it plays out. A lot of the Auburn reporters have been saying the past few days that Holden has fallen behind. He apparently showed out in the scrimmage, but has otherwise not looked as good as Thorne or Ashford. His arm is great, but supposedly the game hasn’t started slowing down for him yet.

While still a little inconsistent, Ashford has supposedly taken a huge step forward since last year, and has fixed some of his mechanical issues that made him erratic. From what I’ve seen from reporters, the coaches are supposedly  trying to decide between Thorne’s higher floor (more accurate and consistent but less flashy) and Robby’s higher ceiling (Less consistent, but more flashy).

Edited by ScotsAU

6 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

We’ll see how it plays out. A lot of the Auburn reporters have been saying the past few days that Holden has fallen behind. He apparently showed out in the scrimmage, but has otherwise not looked as good as Thorne or Ashford. His arm is great, but supposedly the game hasn’t started slowing down for him yet.

While still a little inconsistent, Ashford has supposedly taken a huge step forward since last year, and has fixed some of his mechanical issues that made him erratic. From what I’ve seen from reporters, the coaches are supposedly  trying to decide between Thorne’s higher floor (more accurate and consistent but less flashy) and Robby’s higher ceiling (Less consistent, but more flashy).

Maybe so. I've apparently missed some of those details. I've only seen the articles that have Robby as really inconsistent. If Holden is behind him based on that then that's bad news for the QB room. 

The Qb position is just different.  When I was in private practice, I had a partner who was as smart as anyone I have ever known including the top Wall Street lawyers.  He finished top of his class at the University of Chicago Law School which was in the top 8 then and now and clerked for the Chief Judge of the 5Th Circuit which is a big deal.  His briefs were so clear and eloquent it would shock you.   And, he could crank them out in no time.  In front of judges and juries he was just as eloquent and persuading.   But within our firm he just rubbed people the wrong way.  One year when we had decided to cut his comp for the third time in 5 years, I was assigned to explain the comp decision to him.   I told him "Bro you do all the hard things really, really well, amazingly well, as well as anybody in the firm, but its the little things, the easy things where you are not excelling."  He listened intently and said "The things you find to be easy, are the things I find to be most difficult."   This is my view of Robbie.   He has all the talent in the world.   The ball comes out of his hand with more velocity than any of or other QBs.  His leg talent is far better than any of our other QBs.   But, I think he just hasn't figured YET out how to make his teammates follow him.      

• Like 2