2023 Fall Camp Thread

toddc

21 minutes ago, cbo said:

I feel like this is the hardest season to predict in the history of AU football, just because the roster has never been flipped like this before. 

The optimists will say 8 or 9 wins. The pessimists will say 6 or 7. Which aren't that far apart. 

I'm thinking 7 wins. The front 7 worries me. Some people are forgetting we lost Derrick Hall, Colby Wooden, and Owen Pappoe (I know) from an already bad defense. 

Tank was our best player and he's gone. 

Before last season, this board was convinced the WR's would be great. 

QB and OL will definitely be improved. The question is how much? That will make the biggest difference. 

You forgot the biggest change of all: better coaches

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

You forgot the biggest change of all: better coaches

No doubt. Coaches are much better. How could they not be? 

Still need players though. 

48 minutes ago, cbo said:

I feel like this is the hardest season to predict in the history of AU football, just because the roster has never been flipped like this before. 

The optimists will say 8 or 9 wins. The pessimists will say 6 or 7. Which aren't that far apart. 

I'm thinking 7 wins. The front 7 worries me. Some people are forgetting we lost Derrick Hall, Colby Wooden, and Owen Pappoe (I know) from an already bad defense. 

QB and OL will definitely be improved. The question is how much? That will make the biggest difference. 

I think that incremental changes at the right positions do more for an overall team improvement than  just team flipping in general.

We go into last season with a better oline, qb, and coaching staff and I think we win 6 or seven.  I think those positions upgrading will make everyone look and play better.

If there is a better o line, the QB has more time, thus making the WR’s look better. When the WR’s play better it opens up the run. If our offense can sustain drives, the defense doesn’t get gassed and plays better. And before you know it, we actually look like a decent football team.

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Like 5

This time of year, everyone is juiced! I'm sure it is the same at every school. New season, some awesome new players added, spirits are high, expectations are high!

I am eager to see what CHF and his assistants can cobble together for the coming season. Half the team in newbies, most of whom have never seen an SEC opponent.

CHF has said, after the first scrimmage this Saturday he wants to begin getting down to the 2-deep.

Newbies on OL vs newbies on DL. Mostly newbie receivers against mostly newbie defenders. New sysem on offense and defense.

In terms of talent, Auburn is still way behind Bama and UGA and LSU and A&M. In terms of talent, Auburn is maybe equal to Arkansas and the Misses.

I'm fighting my urge to be excited and optimistic because too many question marks. I'm fighting my urge to be pessimistic because I want to try to be objective.

Ugh!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I think that incremental changes at the right positions do more for an overall team improvement than  just team flipping in general.

We go into last season with a better oline, qb, and coaching staff and I think we win 6 or seven.  I think those positions upgrading will make everyone look and play better.

If there is a better o line, the QB has more time, thus making the WR’s look better. When the WR’s play better it opens up the run. If our offense can sustain drives, the defense doesn’t get gassed and plays better. And before you know it, we actually look like a decent football team.

I get what you're saying and I hope you're right. 

I just don't love this roster compared to the others in the SEC West. Freeze has done a very good job repairing it. But Harsin was a walking, talking, stairs-taking probation period. He gutted this team. 

Your original post relies on a bunch of transfers working out. History tells me some will and some won't. 

Again, I think we get 7 wins. I think we win one game no one expects us to and lose one game no one expects us to. 

I hope you are right and we do better. 

Just now, cbo said:

I get what you're saying and I hope you're right. 

I just don't love this roster compared to the others in the SEC West. Freeze has done a very good job repairing it. But Harsin was a walking, talking, stairs-taking probation period. He gutted this team. 

Your original post relies on a bunch of transfers working out. History tells me some will and some won't. 

Again, I think we get 7 wins. I think we win one game no one expects us to and lose one game no one expects us to. 

I hope you are right and we do better. 

I think we lose LSU and Georgia and 2 more. Not sure if that’s Bama and TexAM or 2 randoms. But that would put us at 8-4 and I’d be super happy with that.

• Like 4

We then need to make Robby Ashford a Kadarius Toney / Percy Harvin / Taysom Hill-type player and make him one of the deadliest weapons in CFB

Edited by AUINSY
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I think we lose LSU and Georgia and 2 more. Not sure if that’s Bama and TexAM or 2 randoms. But that would put us at 8-4 and I’d be super happy with that.

That's plausible. 

It's so hard to predict. And like I said, even harder this year. 

If I had to bet, I'd say we lose to LSU, Georgia, Bama, Texas A&M, and Ole Miss. We are going to be beat up by the time we get to Ole Miss. 

But again, I think we will steal one and lose one we should win. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cbo said:

There are 3 things making me think 8-9, two of which are related. 1. Last year, with Harsin and an interim head coach, we went 5-7. It’s hard to rationalize that dropping Harsin for Freeze only makes 1 game difference. Freeze is a better motivator, a better strategist, and a better play caller than Harsin. All things being equal, that change seems worth more than 1 win. 
2. Relatedly, Hugh did a lot to rebuild the roster in this offseason. We lost very little and gained a lot in terms of production potential. Again, I think that is worth more than 1 game. 3. Looking at the schedule, it’s hard to find more than 4 losses unless things trend down from last year. Our nonconference schedule and Vandy should be automatic wins. MSU doesn’t have leach and is trying to transition to a pro offense. I can’t see them being good enough to knock us off at home. Arkansas appeared to be aggressively trending downward last year. And TAMU attempted to address Jimbo’s outdated offensive problems by hiring… Bobby Petrino, another guy who runs an outdated offense. That team was worse than us last year, so why they are suddenly getting so much hype is beyond me. (Seriously… I don’t get the A&M hype. If anyone does understand it, please share.) That’s 8 teams that we’d have to seriously mess screw up to lose to this year. 

Edited by ScotsAU
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cbo said:

There are 3 things making me think 8-9, two of which are related. 1. Last year, with Harsin and an interim head coach, we went 5-7. It’s hard to rationalize that dropping Harsin for Freeze only makes 1 game difference. Freeze is a better motivator, a better strategist, and a better play caller than Harsin. All things being equal, that change seems worth more than 1 win. 
2. Relatedly, Hugh did a lot to rebuild the roster in this offseason. We lost very little and gained a lot in terms of production potential. Again, I think that is worth more than 1 game. 3. Looking at the schedule, it’s hard to find more than 4 losses unless things trend down from last year. Our of conference schedule and Vandy should be automatic wins. MSU doesn’t have leach and is trying to transition to a pro offense. I can’t see them being good enough to knock us off at home. Arkansas appeared to be aggressively trending downward last year. And TAMU attempted to address Jimbo’s outdated offensive problems by hiring… Bobby Petrino, another guy who runs an outdated offense. That team was worse than us last year, so why they are suddenly getting so much hype is beyond me. (Seriously… I don’t get the A&M hype. If anyone does understand it, please share.) That’s 8 teams that we’d have to seriously mess screw up to lose to this year. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cbo said:

That's plausible. 

It's so hard to predict. And like I said, even harder this year. 

If I had to bet, I'd say we lose to LSU, Georgia, Bama, Texas A&M, and Ole Miss. We are going to be beat up by the time we get to Ole Miss. 

But again, I think we will steal one and lose one we should win. 

It is interesting because besides Georgia and Bama, I am not to keen on the others, It seems like consistent has been bad across the board in terms of who is going to maintain that next level of success or not. I think Brian Kelly makes a significant difference at LSU. I also understand the process of freeze and usually it is a slow grind, so that is what I am expecting.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cbo said:

feel like this is the hardest season to predict in the history of AU football, just because the roster has never been flipped like this before

So many key transfers that will be starters. Who hits. Who doesn't, who blends well and complements each other. Who fit well into the coaches scheme they've never been in?

Offense has a chance of being kinda scary good. Excited for Game 1

Excited to over react to the scrimmage Saturday 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, W.E.D said:

This also says we are less talented than last years team that only won 5 games

I’m a homer kool-aid drinker, so I may have a slightly skewed view, but I don’t see that!   I think we’re much improved overall, and with a few position groups we are night and day from where we were.   
If there is a lesson to learn here, it could be that talent is very important (many of the names on that list are always very successful) but it isn’t everything (AU and Texas A&M showing you can lose royally with talent).

29 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I’m a homer kool-aid drinker, so I may have a slightly skewed view, but I don’t see that!   I think we’re much improved overall, and with a few position groups we are night and day from where we were.   
If there is a lesson to learn here, it could be that talent is very important (many of the names on that list are always very successful) but it isn’t everything (AU and Texas A&M showing you can lose royally with talent).

Talent is like 85% of it in CFB.  It's nit everything and I believe we are more talented and will be better than last year. Just that Blue Chip Ratio doesn't support the argument we're more talented 

3 hours ago, DAG said:

I also understand the process of freeze and usually it is a slow grind, so that is what I am expecting.

I too have noticed the slow grind, but I take solace in the fact that he’s never had the transfer portal or resources to be able to speed that process up. I expect a major difference in overall team quality and I think he does too, whether he will admit it or not. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Talent is like 85% of it in CFB.  It's nit everything and I believe we are more talented and will be better than last year. Just that Blue Chip Ratio doesn't support the argument we're more talented 

To be fair, we are still above 50%. And only one percentage point behind USC who has major expectations. Michigan at 54% made the CFP last year and Florida at 64% looked like total a**. Don’t even get me started on how underachieving Aggie is. Holy crap!

There are so many variables (schedule,scheme,etc) that it’s hard to pin down who will be good and who won’t. 

IMG_3021.jpeg

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

To be fair, we are still above 50%. And only one percentage point behind USC who has major expectations. Michigan at 54% made the CFP last year and Florida at 64% looked like total a**.

There are so many variables (schedule,scheme,etc) that it’s hard to pin down who will be good and who won’t. 

IMG_3021.jpeg

I agree we above at the limit, but year over year we're down 5%.  We have talent.  Kinda surprised USC is where they are, but I don't know much else besides having a top QB

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

I’m hoping for a LSU/Kelly/Portal addition type of turnaround this season. Improved Oline and QB would/could get us to 8 wins

There's a chance that could happen if all our pieces come together.

17 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I too have noticed the slow grind, but I take solace in the fact that he’s never had the transfer portal or resources to be able to speed that process up. I expect a major difference in overall team quality and I think he does too, whether he will admit it or not. 

if we have 7-8 wins and we are competing in every game then I am content for the first year. Anything more is just a plus to me.

• Like 2

JUCO DL a ‘special talent’

AUBURN | Quientrail Jamison-Travis still has a ways to go when it comes to being in game shape and understanding the defense.

But when he gets there, Auburn may have a special talent on their hands.

The junior college defensive lineman, who goes by Bobby, arrived in AU just a day before the start of fall camp.

Jamison-Travis is playing his way into shape during fall camp. (Austin Perryman/Auburn athletics)

“He’s a special talent,” said defensive coordinator Ron Roberts. “He has all the talent stuff. He was not here this summer so he’s a little far behind. We’re trying to play catch-up with him on a mental standpoint, what’s going on and what he has to do. He will impact and he’ll be a big part, because he’s a talented individual.

“So he’s got to play himself into shape. He wasn’t here for the summer for conditioning, weight-lifting, all that kind of stuff, probably a little bit out of shape, a little behind mentally right now, so we haven’t really seen what he’s capable of doing.”

Jamison-Travis, 6-foot-4 and 320 pounds, totaled 90 tackles, 20.0 tackles-for-loss and 10.5 sacks in two seasons at Iowa Western. He's been working mainly at defensive tackle and noseguard during the first week of fall camp.

One of the shrewdest moves that the Tigers’ coaching staff made was to room Jamison-Travis with senior defensive lineman Marcus Harris.

“He looks amazing. He's just naturally strong,” said Harris. “He kind of doesn't know the defense yet … We’re gonna get together a lot, and I'm gonna teach him the plays and teach him the technique. His eagerness to learn — he wants to learn. He's coming around, asking me questions all the time. He just wants to know and wants to get better.

“I can't wait to see once he's fully getting the aspect of the defense and fully locked in, I'm ready to see what he can do.”

Auburn will hold its sixth practice of fall camp Thursday morning.

Tracking the transfers

735ce984ca3ac59cbea54fe7c20ea1cb.jpeg

AUBURN | Auburn was very active in the transfer portal during the offseason with 20 additions.

With the 21 signees from the 2023 class, AU was able to replace close to 50 percent of its roster following the hire of Hugh Freeze last November.

Below is a look at the transfers by position and the impact each has had on the depth chart.

Keys is a favorite to start at middle linebacker.
Keys is a favorite to start at middle linebacker. (Austin Perryman/Auburn athletics)

QUARTERBACK

Transfers out (2): Zach Calzada (IW), T.J. Finley (TSU)

Transfers in (1): Payton Thorne (MIST)

The Skinny: Auburn needed an experienced RPO quarterback and got him in Thorne, who completed 60.9 percent of his passes for 6,494 yards with 49 touchdowns in 29 career games at Michigan State. He’s competing with returning starter Robby Ashford and redshirt freshman Holden Geriner for the starting position during fall camp.

RUNNING BACK

Transfers out (1): Jordon Ingram (TROY)

Transfers in (1): Brian Battie (USF)

The Skinny: Jarquez Hunter is the presumed starter and should be one of the SEC’s most productive tailbacks this season. Auburn is very deep at the position. Battie should be a versatile backup and was an All-American kick returner at USF. Damari Alston is a talented backup that can push Hunter and true freshman Jeremiah Cobb was one of the top signees in the 2023 class.

WIDE RECEIVER

Transfers out (5): J.J. Evans (UNA), Ze’Vian Capers (WKU), Dazalin Worsham (UAB), Tar’Varish Dawson (COLO), Landen King (UTAH)

Transfers in (4): Nick Mardner (CIN), Caleb Burton (OHST), Jyaire Shorter (NT), Shane Hooks (JSU)

The Skinny: Auburn significantly upgraded the speed and big-play ability on the outside with the additions of Burton, Shorter and Hooks. Shorter averaged an FBS-best 27.2 yards per catch last season and Hooks had 10 touchdown receptions. Burton has made a strong impression the first week of camp. Mardner was able to go through spring. Ja’Varrius Johnson is a proven playmaker in the slot and is being pushed by Jay Fair. Marcus Johnson, Camden Brown, Koy Moore and Omari Kelly are some other returning receivers that could figure into the playing rotation. Former Northern Colorado’s Kassidy Woods also joined the group as a walk-on.

TIGHT END

Transfers out (0): None

Transfers in (1): Rivaldo Fairweather (FIU)

The Skinny: This is one of AU’s strongest positions. Fairweather is a playmaker that should be a top receiving target. Deal and Fromm will be key parts of the offense. With three seniors, the position will be a big priority in the 2024 class.

OFFENSIVE LINE

Transfers out (2): Keiondre Jones (FSU), Colby Smith (TROY)

Transfers in (5): Dillon Wade (TULSA), Gunner Britton (WKU), Avery Jones (ECU), Jaden Muskrat (TULSA), Dylan Senda (NW)

The Skinny: The offensive line is by far AU’s most improved position from last year. Wade and Britton at the tackles and Jones at center are expected to be starters. The competition at guard should be fierce this fall with Muskrat competing against Kam Stutts, Jeremiah Wright and Tate Johnson. Senda is probably a future center or guard but has shown his versatility by playing tackle in camp. JUCO addition Izavion Miller could begin the season as the sixth man. True freshman Connor Lew has a bright future and should be Jones primary backup this fall.

DEFENSIVE LINE

Transfers out (3): Marquis Robinson, Jeffrey M’Ba (PUR), Tobechi Okoli (ISU)

Transfers in (3): Mosiah Nasili-Kite (MARY), Lawrence Johnson (PUR), Justin Rogers (UK)

The Skinny: The three transfers were crucial with Rogers and Nasili-Kite probable starters or key backups. Johnson will have an important role too. Marcus Harris is the alpha of the group and can start at either tackle or end. Jayson Jones is improved from last season and JUCO transfer Quientrail Jamison-Travis should be a big contributor once he gets into shape. True freshman Keldric Faulk is a future star at d-end.

JACK LINEBACKER

Transfers out (2): Joko Willis (UNK), Dylan Brooks (KAN)

Transfers in (3): Sr. Elijah McAllister (VAN), Jalen McLeod (APST), Stephen Sings (LIB)

The Skinny: The position will include four newcomers with the three transfers and true freshman Brenton Williams. McLeod is a huge addition and should be an impact pass rusher this fall. McAllister is already a key team leader and should be a starter or top rotational piece. Sings and Williams shuold provide depth.

INSIDE LINEBACKER

Transfers out (2): Desmond Tisdol (FAU), Kameron Brown (CHAT)

Transfers in (2): Austin Keys (OM), Larry Nixon III (NT)

The Skinny: Keys is the favorite to win the staring Mike position. Nixon should battle Eugene Asante and Wesley Steiner for the starting Will position. Cam Riley can start or be a key backup and either spot while Robert Woodyard looks like a future starter at Mike. Powell Gordon originally entered the portal after spring but opted to return to Auburn this fall. DeMario Tolan transferred in from LSU in January but dropped out of school this summer due to family issues.

CORNERBACK AND NICKEL

Transfers out (1): A.D. Diamond (UAB)

Transfers in (0): None

The Skinny: Nehemiah Pritchett and D.J. James, the projected starters, bring a lot of talent and experience at cornerback. J.D. Rhym and true freshman Kyin Lee should be the top backups. At nickel, Keionte Scott is a standout with Donovan Kaufman, Caleb Wooden and true freshman Sylvester Smith providing plenty of support. There are a lot of interchangeable parts in AU’s secondary including Kaufman and Wooden, who can play safety.

SAFETY

Transfers out (1): Craig McDonald (MIN)

Transfers in (0): None

The Skinny: Zion Puckett and Jaylin Simpson are the projected starters and compliment each other well. An improved Marquise Gilbert should be a key backup. Austin Ausberry and true freshmen Terrance Love and C.J. Johnson will provide depth.

TOTALS

Transfers out: 19

Transfers in: 20

Estimated scholarship players: 80

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

if we have 7-8 wins and we are competing in every game then I am content for the first year. Anything more is just a plus to me.

Same. 8 wins and not getting our a** handed to us by UGA would have me over the moon. 

• Like 2