7.27.23 Football Articles

aubiefifty

yahoo.com

Michael Dyer lands on ‘biggest recruiting busts of all-time’ list

Taylor Jones
3–4 minutes

7a372533f139d027bb6fdaa78b11f311

Auburn’s 2010 recruiting class was one of the best in the nation. The Tigers ended with the No. 6 overall class, and it featured several key names such as Trovon Reed, Corey Lemonier, and cody parkey.

This recruiting cycle is best known for Auburn’s hunt for three strong running backs: Michael Dyer, Lache Seastrunk, and Marcus Lattimore. Auburn ended up signing Dyer, who became Auburn’s top signee of the class.

Dyer contributed early by rushing for 1,093 yards and five touchdowns during Auburn’s national championship-winning season in 2010. He followed that season by rushing for 1,242 yards and ten scores in 2011.

However, he was suspended from the 2011 Chick-Fil-A Bowl, which began a downward spiral for the once-prized recruit.

He would leave Auburn following the 2011 season to join Gus Malzahn at Arkansas State but never played a down. He transferred to Arkansas Baptist before ultimately settling at Louisville. Dyer did not enjoy the same success at Louisville as he did with Auburn, as he only rushed for 704 yards on 154 carries over two seasons.

Because of his abnormal college career, 247Sports has placed Dyer on their Biggest recruiting busts of all-time list. 247Sports compiled this list based on input from college football fans across the country and then used a rating system to determine how strong each claim is. 247Sports’ Carter Bahns gives Dyer a three. Bahns says that Dyer’s contributions to Auburn’s 2010 championship season negate most of the claim, but his offseason issues prevented him from having a strong ending to his career.

In a 2015 interview with AL.com, Dyer stated that leaving Auburn was “the lowest point” of his college career.

“To be honest, I ask myself all the time. Even at Auburn, I asked myself (if) I was to stay there three years, then where would I have been? The only answer I can come up with every time (is) I probably wouldn’t even still be there because I didn’t grow up. I didn’t understand exactly about football and everything that comes with football. I came out of high school and I had good talent and a lot of people around me supported me, but never really the structure to understand what it takes to maintain. Going through everything I went through, I understand that now.”

Despite off-field and academic issues, as well as injuries during his time at Louisville, Dyer ended his college career with 3,039 yards on 578 attempts with 22 touchdowns.

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Demarcus Riddick flips to Auburn, snaps Tigers' five-star drought

JD McCarthy

~2 minutes

Hugh Freeze has landed his first five-star prospect at Auburn. Flipping linebacker Demarcus Riddick from Georgia and Kirby Smart on Wednesday afternoon and beating out Nick Saban and Alabama in the process.

Stealing a recruit from your rivals is always sweet, but when it’s a player of Riddick’s caliber it’s even sweeter. If he signs with Auburn, he will be their first five-star signee since Owen Pappoe and Bo Nix in 2019.

Buy Tigers Tickets

Riddick is the No. 26 overall player and No. 3 linebacker in the 247Sports Composite ranking. The Clanton native is also the No. 3 player from Alabama.

He is Auburn’s 12 commitment of the class and their second top 100 player, joining quarterback Walker White. Their class now ranks 27th in the country and 11th in the SEC.

His recruitment is exactly how Auburn can get back to competing for SEC Championships. While they have landed just two five-star prospects over the past five recruiting cycles, Alabama and Georgia both landed four last year alone.

That talent gap only increases over a four-year span and is a major reason why Auburn is currently riding a three-game losing streak against the Crimson Tide and a six-game one against the Bulldogs.

Riddick might not be the only five-star Auburn lands this year either, the Tigers are a finalist for KJ Bolden and are pushing hard to flip five-star wide receiver Perry Thompson from Alabama.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. You can also follow JD on Twitter @jdmccarthy15.

si.com

Auburn’s 2023 Position Battles: Slot Wide Receivers

Joshua Collins
8–10 minutes

Who will Auburn football start at slot wide receiver in 2023?

In this story:

Auburn Tigers

Auburn Tigers

With the festivities of Big Cat Weekend and the beginning of Fall practice quickly approaching us, we will delve one more final time into the important position battles soon to commence on the plains. Keeping our focus still locked on the Tigers wide receiver room, we will look this time at who will possibly compete for those coveted starting reps at slot receiver for Auburn football this upcoming 2023 season?

As mentioned in the previous installment of this article series, Coach Hugh Freeze & Co. have paid careful attention to addressing significant areas of need along the roster. The wide receiver room being one on the list has seen a lot of changes since November of last year, with the addition of a new position coach in Marcus Davis and several new faces being added via the transfer portal.

The Auburn offensive coaching staff have expressed frequently the plan to move the ball through the air more consistently this upcoming season, and a competent and skillful receiver unit will be necessary to accomplish this lofty task. With this being said, we will line out 6 possible contenders to earn starting slot receiver reps for Auburn football this upcoming 2023 season and conclude our 2023 position battles series. 

The Case for Ja’Varrius Johnson:

Ja'Varrius Johnson (6)Auburn football scrimmage on Friday, Aug. 19, 2022 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Heading off our cadre of highlighted talent is returning senior Ja’Varrius Johnson. The 5-foot-10, 167-pound Trussville, Alabama native has suited up at wide receiver in four seasons as an Auburn Tiger, playing in a total of 25 games producing 767 yards from 45 receptions amounting to 5 career touchdowns during his time so far on the plains. Looking to add to his stat lines this upcoming 2023 season, you can guarantee Johnson is ready and willing to put in the work necessary to earn starting reps this Fall.

Johnson is a lightning-fast wide receiver with NFL level speed. This coupled with a solid first step off the snap allows Johnson to be a deep ball threat from the slot receiver position. Ja’Varrius is a physical player and has proven to be difficult to tackle in the open field due to his size and agility. 

He is a sure handed receiver and will look to prove that this upcoming season especially with an improved passing attack. Look for Johnson’s name to mentioned quite a bit in the upcoming weeks as a prime candidate to start at slot receiver for the Auburn Tigers in 2023. 

The Case for Koy Moore:

Auburn Tigers wide receiver Koy Moore (0) catches a pass as Auburn Tigers take on Missouri Tigers at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala., on Saturday, Sept. 24, 2022. Auburn Tigers defeated Missouri Tigers 17-14.

© Jake Crandall / USA TODAY NETWORK

Next on the list of potential slot receiver starters is returning junior plainsman, Koy Moore. Moore committed to the Auburn Tigers by way of the transfer portal in June of 2022 after leaving Coach Bryan Kelly and the LSU Tigers for greener pastures. The 6-foot-1, 198-pound wide receiver hails from Kenner, Louisiana and has appeared in 28 collegiate games so far. Moore has recorded some respectable stats during his three seasons of play posting roughly 562 total yards out of 47 receptions amounting to a singular touchdown.

Looking to also increase his stat lines this season, Moore will also most assuredly be laced up ready to play come Fall practice beginning in August. Koy is a quick footed receiver with a strong first step off the snap. He is a physical player; however, he could look to be more so off the ball utilizing his size to lay down solid blocks down field when necessary.

Moore has decent top-end speed and can put separation between himself and defenders. Provided Moore is able to remain healthy the Auburn fanbase should expect to hear his name frequently called this upcoming 2023 season as he makes his case as a solid producer for Auburn football. 

The Case for Jay Fair:

Jay Fair, Marquis Burks, and Brandon Frazier come out of the tunnel vs Missouri.

Eric Starling/Auburn Daily

Third upon our listing of potential starting slot receiver talent is returning sophomore Jay Fair. The 5-foot-10, 186-pound Rockwall, Texas native joined the Auburn roster with the high school recruiting class of 2022 as a consensus 3-star wide receiver. During his inaugural season on the plains Fair appeared in 9 total games producing 34 yards from 2 receptions.

Fair describes himself as a shifty receiver possessing the agility needed to lose defenders after the catch. Jay has solid hands when targeted and decent top end speed to gain separation from pursuing defenders. He is a young receiver with several years of eligibility left to play on the college grid iron.

The Auburn fanbase should keep their ears tuned in for news of this young man’s development as the season progresses on into the winter months. I expect his name to be called more than a few times this upcoming season putting in quality rotational reps with the receiving core.  

The Case for Omari Kelly:

Auburn Tigers wide receiver Omari Kelly (19) celebrates his first down catch during the game between the LSU Tigers and the Auburn Tigers at Jordan-Hare Stadium on Oct. 1, 2022.

Eric Starling/Auburn Daily

The next contender vying for meaningful starting reps this upcoming 2023 season is returning sophomore Omari Kelly. The 6-foot, 178-pound Trussville, Alabama native also committed to Auburn with the high school recruiting class of 2022 as a highly heralded consensus 4-star. Kelly appeared in 12 games during his inaugural season with the Tigers putting up 56 receiving yards off of three catches.

Omari is a decent sized young man with several years of eligibility remaining to further develop his craft. Kelly is a fast sure handed receiver who is a competent route runner. I believe that with the right coaching this young man could soon step into a solid leadership role within the wide receiver room as a newly minted veteran. Look for Omari Kelly to present his case this Fall camp for meaningful rotational reps this upcoming 2023 season.

The Case for anyone else on the roster:

Auburn quarterback Bo Nix (10) lines up to snap the ball from center Kaleb Kim (54) at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium in Gainesville, Fla., on Saturday, Oct. 5, 2019. Florida defeated Auburn 24-13. Jc Auburnflorida 94

© Jake Crandall, Montgomery Advertiser via Imagn Content Services, LLC

Considering the depth of the roster at the wide receiver position especially after such an extensive roster adjustment, it is nearly impossible to highlight everyone with meaningful commentary. However, there are two additional players worth mentioning in regard to the slot receiver position battle, Caleb Burton III and Will Upton.

Caleb Burton III comes to the plains by way of the 2023 transfer portal from Ohio State University. The 5-foot-11, 171-pound redshirt freshman did not appear in any games for the Buckeyes due to an injury, however he still remained high on their recruiting list. Provided this young man’s injury has mended properly the Auburn coaching staff could greatly benefit from playing him this upcoming season.

Burton is an extremely fast wide receiver with the ability to make hard cutbacks during pursuit making him exceedingly difficult to tackle in the open field. He is explosive off the snap and has great field vision and hands to secure the catch in traffic. Barring reaggravation of his injury Burton should prove to be an exciting player to watch this upcoming 2023 season.

Will Upton is a newly minted plainsman having arrived with the 2023 high school recruiting class. This young man has slid under the media radar despite having an extremely successful senior season under former Ole Miss staffer Coach Doug Goodwin at Jackson Prep in Jackson, Mississippi. The 5-foot-9, 177-pound wideout is built perfectly for the jet sweep play options likely to be up the sleeves of both Coach Hugh Freeze and Coach Phillip Montgomery.

I believe this young man’s size gives him the ability to be lost by the defense to pop out of the backfield like a rocket to earn some decent yardage. I am looking forward to seeing how this young man fits within the offensive scheme as his collegiate career progresses on the plains. 

The Auburn fanbase has numerous reasons to be excited for football to begin on the plains this 2023 season with the wide receiver room only being one of them. It will be exciting to see how far this coaching staff can take these young men, and I am anxiously awaiting the journey.

saturdaydownsouth.com

Auburn flips 5-star linebacker out of Alabama from Georgia

Keith Farner

2–3 minutes

Demarcus Riddick, a 5-star linebacker who committed to Georgia in November, has flipped to Auburn, he announced on Wednesday.

Riddick had a reported 16 offers, including the likes of Arkansas, Auburn, Florida and Florida State. He was recruited to Georgia by Glenn Schumann. He was recruited to Auburn by Josh Aldridge. Riddick is from Clanton, Alabama (Chilton County).

Riddick, who is listed at 6-foot-2 and 212 pounds, is the No. 3 linebacker in the class of 2024, according to the 247Sports Composite, and the No. 3 player overall in the state of Alabama.

Riddick at the time was recruit No. 6 for Georgia in the 2024 class, and that group ranked No. 1 by the 247Sports Composite early in the cycle.

BREAKING: 5-star LB Demarcus Riddick has FLIPPED his commitment from Georgia to Auburn, also choosing the Tigers over Alabama.

“At Georgia I was feeling at home and I felt like that was my family too, but this family is something different.”

More: https://t.co/Ss09y49I6x pic.twitter.com/G9dX4rt14w

— Christian Clemente (@CClemente247) July 26, 2023

si.com

Vanderbilt announces matchup vs Auburn will be homecoming

Lance Dawe
~2 minutes

The Commodores have announced their 2023 homecoming opponent are the Tigers.

Auburn will play Vanderbilt for the first time since 2016 this fall.

The Tigers have yet to play the Commodores in Nashville since 2012 and haven't won there since 2003.

Vandy decided that now, with the Tigers ushering in a new coaching staff and a plethora of new players on both sides of the ball, they should make the game mean just a little bit more.

Per Vanderbilt Athletics, the Commodores' matchup with Auburn on November 4th is officially homecoming.

Hugh Freeze was 3-2 against Vanderbilt during his time at Ole Miss.

This may end up being bulletin board material for the Tigers, as homecoming opponents are traditionally weaker Group of Five schools for the home team to dominate in front of their alumni.

The Tigers kick off the 2023 season on September 2nd at home vs UMass at 2 p.m. CT on ESPN.

Good Morning my felllow Auburn fans! We are the best sports fans in the country! today is ALL Mr Reddick and it was a great day! thanx for stopping by and i will check in later to add more stuff as it pops up.

spoke too soon..................

yahoo.com

3 position coaches that need to shine for Auburn football to have success in 2023

Richard Silva, Montgomery Advertiser
5–6 minutes

Auburn football coach Hugh Freeze can only be stretched so thin.

He's said it since he got hired in November: He has way too many off-the-field responsibilities to invest all of his time into on-the-field issues. That's why he picked former Tulsa coach Philip Montgomery to be his offensive coordinator, and it's why he's handing off the bulk of play-calling responsibilities to him.

"I want to be clear: Philip was called and hired to call the plays, and that's what we're going to do," Freeze said at SEC Media Days last week. "But there's also going to be suggestions from a lot of other people, including me. And he knows that. But he's challenged with calling them."

Beyond Montgomery, here are three other assistants that can help the Tigers return to a bowl game in 2023.

VOTERS: Where Auburn football was picked to finish in the SEC preseason poll

MUST FIX: Auburn football's run defense was putrid in 2022. Here's how the Tigers worked to address it

OL: Jake Thornton

Auburn's offensive line has been an issue for years. It's why the Tigers went out and added nine players at the position this offseason, headlined by the acquisitions of transfers Gunner Britton (Western Kentucky), Avery Jones (East Carolina) and Dillon Wade (Tulsa). Connor Lew, a four-star interior lineman who flipped to Auburn from Miami on Early Signing Day in December, has drawn heavy praise from the coaching staff, too.

To put this offseason's haul into perspective, it took the Tigers the 2020, 2021 and 2022 recruiting cycles to land nine total offensive linemen. This staff matched that in less than a year.

Auburn's best asset on offense is its stable of running backs, a group that features Jarquez Hunter, Damari Alston, South Florida transfer Brian Battie and four-star freshman Jeremiah Cobb from Montgomery Catholic. For the Tigers to get the most out of their backs, offensive line coach Jake Thornton needs to get the most out of his linemen, helping them make holes for the playmakers to run through.

WR: Marcus Davis

Wide receivers coach Marcus Davis has his work cut out for him in his first year back on the Plains.

The Tigers had two receivers log more than 300 yards last season in Ja'Varrius Johnson (493) and Koy Moore (314), and running back Tank Bigsby led the team in receptions with 30. Those numbers are primed to rise with the installation of Freeze's offense, but Davis, a former Auburn receiver himself, will still need to have an impact.

Along with the returners such as Johnson, Moore and sophomore Camden Brown, the Tigers brought in four transfers this offseason, starting with Cincinnati's Nick Mardner in January and finishing with Caleb Burton III (Ohio State), Shane Hooks (Jackson State) and Jyaire Shorter (North Texas) in the second portal window.

Shorter, who led the nation in yards per catch in 2022 with 27.2, has often dealt with injuries throughout his career, and that's something Davis will have to account for: "We're going to have to manage Shorter some," Freeze said. "I think he's a receiver who can help us, but we've got to manage him a little bit."

Auburn Tigers wide receivers coach Marcus Davis warms up his players during the A-Day spring football game at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala., on Saturday, April 8, 2023.

Auburn Tigers wide receivers coach Marcus Davis warms up his players during the A-Day spring football game at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala., on Saturday, April 8, 2023.

LB: Josh Aldridge

Another position group that added some key transfers, linebackers coach Josh Aldridge has to establish his position's depth chart.

Aldridge explained to reporters in April that he wants five to six LBs rotating in and out of the game. Ole Miss transfer Austin Keys appears to be in good shape to be one of the top players at the position, but it's to be determined how North Texas transfer Larry Nixon III fits into things, as he was added in May and has not yet participated in a full practice.

Aldridge will have four weeks to evaluate Nixon and his other players before the Tigers begin their season against UMass on Sept. 2.

Bonus: Kent Austin

Not a position coach, but special assistant to the head coach Kent Austin will likely play a big role in developing Auburn's quarterbacks. He's been with Freeze since 2019, and was most recently his co-offensive coordinator/QBs coach with the Flames.

Austin played quarterback at Ole Miss for five seasons before playing in the Canadian Football League for about a decade ahead of his coaching career, which started with the Ottawa Renegades and included a three-year stint as Cornell's coach from 2010-12.

"We've had successful quarterbacks, (and) I give a lot of that credit to the people who have helped me coach them like Dan Werner and Kent Austin," Freeze said in May. "Philip Montgomery joins that crew. I think that I've got some of the best quarterback coaches in the country that are with me."

Richard Silva is the Auburn athletics beat writer for the Montgomery Advertiser. He can be reached via email at rsilva@gannett.com or on Twitter @rich_silva18.

This article originally appeared on Montgomery Advertiser: Auburn football: Position coaches the Tigers need to shine in 2023

Hey Fifty, thanks for posting this stuff.  You've helped me catch up quickly by being able to go here and get caught up on a lot of Auburn activity.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Hey Fifty, thanks for posting this stuff.  You've helped me catch up quickly by being able to go here and get caught up on a lot of Auburn activity.

jap i am glad you enjoy them! i post them for you just like everyone else. i love me some auburn family!

• Like 2

While Dyer didn't pan out long-term, I definitely would not call him a bust (no offense to you Fitty, rather to the author of the article). Dyer's role in the 2010 season, and the national title game in particular for not giving up on that late run to set up the field goal for the win, was absolutely vital. Most college running backs will never achieve what Dyer did. He ended very poorly, but when he was good, he was good.

I'd call Byron Cowart a bigger bust, although he was able to be an NFL player and contribute somewhat there. Having the #1 player in the nation (Cowart) come on to your team and be unable to contribute whatsoever is bigger bust material, at least as far as Auburn college football is concerned. 

Edited by AUINSY
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

While Dyer didn't pan out long-term, I definitely would call him a bust (no offense to you Fitty, rather to the author of the article). Dyer's role in the 2010 season, and the national title game in particular for not giving up on that late run to set up the field goal for the win, was absolutely vital. Most college running backs will never achieve what Dyer did. He ended very poorly, but when he was good, he was good.

I'd call Byron Cowart a bigger bust, although he was able to be an NFL player and contribute somewhat there. Having the #1 player in the nation (Cowart) come on to your team and be unable to contribute whatsoever is bigger bust material, at least as far as Auburn college football is concerned. 

not a problem my friend. i do not believe a lot of what i post but i do not want folks saying i refuse to post certain things because i do not like them. that is not my choice but you guys to read or skip over. i also appreciate everything dyer did as well tho he is probably not in my top ten all time rb's.

• Like 1

yahoo.com

SEC recruiting rankings following Demarcus Riddick’s commitment to Auburn

Taylor Jones
4–5 minutes

d6f6c8d62bf8c7b7e654c8a21f88179f

Hugh Freeze has already changed the way that recruits view Auburn in his short time on the job. On Wednesday, he proved that he can keep his foot on the gas.

Freeze flipped former Georgia commit Demarcus Riddick on Wednesday, which gives Auburn its first five-star commit since landing Bo Nix and Owen Pappoe in 2019.

The flip was great for Auburn’s 2024 class, which now has 12 commits. Not only that, but it is a wonderful start to this weekend’s Big Cat Weekend, where several big names will trek to campus for the weekend.

How did Riddick’s flip from Georgia to Auburn affect the 2024 SEC recruiting rankings? Here’s a look at where each team stands as the calendar prepares to flip to August.

Missouri

Steve Roberts-USA TODAY Sports

National ranking

No.  of commits

5-stars

4-stars

3-stars

247Sports points

Top commit

No. 59

Cameron Keys (4-star CB)

Kentucky

© Denny Simmons / The Tennessean / USA TODAY NETWORK

National ranking

No.  of commits

5-stars

4-stars

3-stars

247Sports points

Top commit

No. 44

Elijah Groves (4-star LB)

Vanderbilt

National ranking

No.  of commits

5-stars

4-stars

3-stars

247Sports points

Top commit

No. 36

Johann Cardenas (4-star RB)

Mississippi State

National ranking

No.  of commits

5-stars

4-stars

3-stars

247Sports points

Top commit

No. 30

Jimothy Lewis (4-star OT)

National ranking

No.  of commits

5-stars

4-stars

3-stars

247Sports points

Top commit

No. 27

Demarcus Riddick (5-star LB)

Ole Miss

© Denny Simmons/Tennessean / USA TODAY NETWORK

© Denny Simmons/Tennessean / USA TODAY NETWORK

National ranking

No.  of commits

5-stars

4-stars

3-stars

247Sports points

Top commit

No. 26

Jeffrey Rush (4-star DL)

South Carolina

National ranking

No.  of commits

5-stars

4-stars

3-stars

247Sports points

Top commit

No. 24

Josiah Thompson (4-star OT)

Texas

Jerome Miron-USA TODAY Sports

Jerome Miron-USA TODAY Sports

National ranking

No.  of commits

5-stars

4-stars

3-stars

247Sports points

Top commit

No. 20

Jerrick Gibson (4-star RB)

For more Texas recruiting news, visit Longhorns Wire.

Arkansas

Christopher Hanewinckel-USA TODAY Sports

Christopher Hanewinckel-USA TODAY Sports

National ranking

No.  of commits

5-stars

4-stars

3-stars

247Sports points

Top commit

No. 18

Selmon Bridges (4-star CB)

For more Arkansas recruiting news, visit Razorbacks Wire.

Oklahoma

Sara Diggins/Austin American-Statesman via AP

Sara Diggins/Austin American-Statesman via AP

National ranking

No.  of commits

5-stars

4-stars

3-stars

247Sports points

Top commit

No. 15

Taylor Tatum (4-star RB)

For more Oklahoma recruiting news, visit Sooners Wire.

LSU

National ranking

No.  of commits

5-stars

4-stars

3-stars

247Sports points

Top commit

No. 12

Dashawn McBride (4-star S)

For more LSU recruiting news, visit LSU Tigers Wire.

Texas A&M

National ranking

No.  of commits

5-stars

4-stars

3-stars

247Sports points

Top commit

No. 11

Cam Coleman (5-star WR)

For more Texas A&M recruiting news, visit Aggies Wire.

Tennessee

National ranking

No.  of commits

5-stars

4-stars

3-stars

247Sports points

Top commit

No. 10

Mike Matthews (5-star WR)

For more Tennessee recruiting news, visit Vols Wire.

Alabama

National ranking

No.  of commits

5-stars

4-stars

3-stars

247Sports points

Top commit

No. 5

Perry Thompson (5-star WR)

For more Alabama recruiting news, visit Roll Tide Wire.

Florida

National ranking

No.  of commits

5-stars

4-stars

3-stars

247Sports points

Top commit

No. 3

Jamonta Waller (5-star EDGE)

For more Florida recruiting news, visit Gators Wire.

Georgia

National ranking

No.  of commits

5-stars

4-stars

3-stars

247Sports points

Top commit

No. 1

Dylan Raiola (5-star QB)

For more Georgia football recruiting news, visit UGA Wire.

Story originally appeared on Auburn Wire