McConnell apparent health issue

TexasTiger

3 hours ago, arein0 said:

I would prefer to have a cognitive test after x age over a hard cut off age. 

The best way to solve the problem is term limits, but a hard age cut off alleviates the need for some doctors administering the cognitive test to be questioned about his determination.  If politicians know going in there is an age limit the better off they will be.  JMO.

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

The best way to solve the problem is term limits, but a hard age cut off alleviates the need for some doctors administering the cognitive test to be questioned about his determination.  If politicians know going in there is an age limit the better off they will be.  JMO.

I'm so mixed on term limits. On one hand it will limit the career politicians, the Pelosi's McConnell's of the world. But on the other, it looks like we are already scraping the barrel for good new candidates, MTG, Boebert come to mind

17 minutes ago, arein0 said:

I'm so mixed on term limits. On one hand it will limit the career politicians, the Pelosi's McConnell's of the world. But on the other, it looks like we are already scraping the barrel for good new candidates, MTG, Boebert come to mind

The vetting process is almost ridiculous.  Why would a normal person put up with that kind of scrutiny?  

23 minutes ago, arein0 said:

Oh come on, arein0! This was going so well! Then you ONLY name conservatives as your bad examples of candidates? Can't think of ANY bad young liberal politicians?

6 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The vetting process is almost ridiculous.  Why would a normal person put up with that kind of scrutiny?  

Not to mention, building up a resume can take time and sacrifice on top of that scrutiny. I'm relatively young, and I make more than the Mayor of Wichita. And every state politician short of the govoner. And I'm by no means rich. So why would someone in my position try and run, expose my family to constant attacks, scrutiny, ridicule, and be paid less money?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

Oh come on, arein0! This was going so well! Then you ONLY name conservatives as your bad examples of candidates? Can't think of ANY bad young liberal politicians?

There might be bad young liberal politicians, but I only included those 2 because they belong in a category all by themselves. 

1 minute ago, arein0 said:

There might be bad young liberal politicians, but I only included those 2 because they belong in a category all by themselves. 

You're practically center right with that kind of hard hitting admission! 😂

I'll take what I can get with this crowd..

1 hour ago, arein0 said:

Oh course you would only choose two from the right for this example.   Typical!

6 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Oh course you would only choose two from the right for this example.   Typical!

Of course.  AOC, Omar, and Tlaib are totally solid. Good supporters of the caliphate to come.

1 hour ago, KansasTiger said:

I mean the left does have a couple of dingbats. They're generally "wrong within normal parameters" wrong. Not "the Jews are behind the forest fires and executed this dastardly plan with space lasers" wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, AUDub said:

I mean the left does have a couple of dingbats. They're generally "wrong within normal parameters" wrong. Not "the Jews are behind the forest fires and executed this dastardly plan with space lasers" wrong. 

It's interesting you bring up antisemitism, since the left has its fair share of that. Between Tlaib and Omar's antisemitic remarks and the left's 'harsh rebuke' of them as 'thoughtful colleagues', Maxine Waters calling for political violence, and Northam's advocating for post birth abortions, I'd figure you could come up with a few people 'wrong outside the normal parameters'. But maybe the parameters have changed so much I'm just out of touch.

• Like 1

LOL okay maybe 65

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

It's interesting you bring up antisemitism, since the left has its fair share of that. Between Tlaib and Omar's antisemitic remarks and the left's 'harsh rebuke' of them as 'thoughtful colleagues', Maxine Waters calling for political violence, and Northam's advocating for post birth abortions, I'd figure you could come up with a few people 'wrong outside the normal parameters'. But maybe the parameters have changed so much I'm just out of touch.

Jeez. If if weren't for the strawman, you would have no man. 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Aw man, nice defense. And I thought for a moment, we had a chance to both call out the extremes of each party and how they're both outside of normal parameters. Because both sides do have extremes and both are wrong. But we couldn't quite get there. Maybe someday.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

Aw man, nice defense. And I thought for a moment, we had a chance to both call out the extremes of each party and how they're both outside of normal parameters. Because both sides do have extremes and both are wrong. But we couldn't quite get there. Maybe someday.

You whipped those out. Let’s start from the bottom. 

In context, what did Northam mean?

6 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

The usual suspects will always reveal their freak flag.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Especially when the normal highly educated people that have degree that lend themselves to politics can have such lucrative careers in private practice. Tons of young high powered lawyers that would be amazing politicians but they have nothing to gain leaving their firms for the political circus. 

11 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

Kinda of hard to find anyone that matched Boebert or MTG but I guess you guys would like us to name members of the squad lol

10 hours ago, arein0 said:

Straight facts. 

7 hours ago, AUDub said:

6 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

Well to be fair, you did use a strawman argument 

1 hour ago, Didba said:

Kinda of hard to find anyone that matched Boebert or MTG but I guess you guys would like us to name members of the squad lol

Exhibit A: 

• Like 1

We're (seemingly) OK with the lower age limits to be a representative, senator, President (not to mention other items such as voting, drinking and smoking), so why not put an upper age limit for holding federal office? 

Or, alternatively, for Senate and HoR, limit service to 12 years at a position...two terms for Senators, six terms for HoR.  If, say, a 3-termer from the HoR wanted to run for their state's U.S. Senator position, he/she could still serve up to 12 years at that position.  Some provisions could be put in place for positions that may need to be filled mid-term in case of removal or death, much like a VP who completes less than half of a term when stepping in for a President (LBJ, for example) could serve two elected terms (LBJ could have run in 1968, but opted not to).

I'm spitballing here, clearly, but I'm OK with some limits being put in place for duration of elected federal service.

17 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Exhibit A: 

I've been told providing examples of the left being wrong outside normal parameters is a straw man argument.

• Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, KansasTiger said:

I've been told providing examples of the left being wrong outside normal parameters is a straw man argument.

I’m sure it is, but when they absolutely stick their heads in the sand about their own party someone has to show them how the straw man should grow a pair of eyes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I’m sure it is, but when they absolutely stick their heads in the sand about their own party someone has to show them how the straw man should grow a pair of eyes.

Good luck 😄 

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1