McConnell apparent health issue

TexasTiger

4 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Just one more old man that needs to shut up and go home...

Let me fix it for you….just one more politician that needs to shut up and go home.   For every republican you call out, there are equal amounts on the other side.   

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Let me fix it for you….just one more politician that needs to shut up and go home.   For every republican you call out, there are equal amounts on the other side.   

I feel like he said it rather non partisanly, didn't he?

• Like 3

i would love to know what happened. he has been in front of the camera's most of his life so i find it odd. i hope he is well.

Yeah that was scary. Caught a couple doctors on CNN last night talking about possible causes. 

Swear there needs to be an age limit on political office. Mandatory retirement at age 60 or something. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Didba said:

Swear there needs to be an age limit on political office. Mandatory retirement at age 60 or something. 

100%. Feinstein is 90, Pelosi is 83 and McConnel is 81.    Nearly all publicly held corporations maintain a 72 year old mandatory retirement age for non-management board members for the purpose of new ideas, new experiences, them falling asleep in meetings😀, rigors of age etc.   Didba I know you are a young guy so 60 probably sounds ancient to you😃.   I would say 67-70 is about the right age.   Watching McConnell yesterday my main emotion was feeling sorry for him.         

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

100%. Feinstein is 90, Pelosi is 83 and McConnel is 81.    Nearly all publicly held corporations maintain a 72 year old mandatory retirement age for non-management board members for the purpose of new ideas, new experiences, them falling asleep in meetings😀, rigors of age etc.   Didba I know you are a young guy so 60 probably sounds ancient to you😃.   I would say 67-70 is about the right age.   Watching McConnell yesterday my main emotion was feeling sorry for him.         

Yeah, I'd agree with an age limit in the low to mid 70's. A lot of people can still be very sharp and productive well into their 60s. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Yeah, I'd agree with an age limit in the low to mid 70's. A lot of people can still be very sharp and productive well into their 60s. 

Coffee, you telling us your age here....

• Haha 2

How about 10 years under the current life expectancy?  Gives the politician time to enjoy life after office as well as get new life in place.

That would be retiring at 67 for men and 71 for women.

None of us would be comfortable going to a surgeon or dentist who is having falls, demonstrating cognition deficits, and random moments of incoherence. Yet we allow them to lead our nation. Someone in Washington needs to be the adult in the room and draft legislation to impose some age limits and/or cognition tests. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

None of us would be comfortable going to a surgeon or dentist who is having falls, demonstrating cognition deficits, and random moments of incoherence. Yet we allow them to lead our nation. Someone in Washington needs to be the adult in the room and draft legislation to impose some age limits and/or cognition tests. 

I would prefer to have a cognitive test after x age over a hard cut off age. 

1 hour ago, KansasTiger said:

Look at all this non divisive discussion!

KT, I tried to make a similar point on the recruiting board yesterday.   Isn't this board (and life) so much more fun when we focus on listening to each other and being a positive influencer of change?  Slightly related, our pastor rn is doing a series on Daniel.    The jest of the series is "effective disagreement."    Even if you are right on an issue you can nevertheless be ineffective if you act like a horse's rear-end.   The goal isn't to be right, the goal is to effect changes that are right.  Just my 2 pennies.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, arein0 said:

I would prefer to have a cognitive test after x age over a hard cut off age. 

That makes too much sense😀

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

What you said is a non-sequitur. Surgeons and dentists are skilled workers that count on having good coordination. Being a legislator requires none of that. It's like saying people in wheelchairs shouldn't be allowed to run for office because they can't walk up and down stairs. 

If the mind is sharp and they can effectively communicate, even with the occasional need for aid, they can legislate. I have no problems with Mitch being elected to office, my personal distaste for his policies aside. 

Edited by AUDub

11 minutes ago, AUDub said:

What you said is a non-sequitur. Surgeons and dentists are skilled workers that count on having good coordination. Being a legislator requires none of that. It's like saying people in wheelchairs shouldn't be allowed to run for office because they can't walk up and down stairs. 

If the mind is sharp and they can effectively communicate, even with the occasional need for aid, they can legislate. I have no problems with Mitch being elected to office, my personal distaste for his policies aside. 

Surgeons and dentist have to make important decisions that affect others. So do legislators. ‘If the mind is sharp’. That’s the key. Cognition deficits, TIA type events, and sporadic moments of aphasia and incoherence is not the mind being sharp. There are ways to screen for this stuff. There’s a reason most professions have mandatory retirement ages. Congress should not be the exception. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Surgeons and dentist have to make important decisions that affect others. So do legislators. ‘If the mind is sharp’. That’s the key. Cognition deficits, TIA type events, and sporadic moments of aphasia and incoherence is not the mind being sharp. There are ways to screen for this stuff. There’s a reason most professions have mandatory retirement ages. Congress should not be the exception. 

I'm OK with screening people for things that will be required to the job safely. I'm not ok with lumping a large number of people with differing levels of function into one pot and blanket banning them. It reeks of ageism and ableism.

If you want a screen, we have that. It's called an election. 

Edited by AUDub

2 hours ago, Didba said:

<applause>
or maybe a competency test?

McConnell, Feinstein, Biden, T-Rex, all these damn dinosaurs need to stfu and go home.