7.23.23 Football Articles

aubiefifty

si.com

Auburn JACK Elijah McAllister: Keldric Faulk 'is a blessed young man'

Lance Dawe
4–5 minutes

The veteran transfer sees potential in Auburn's talented freshman.

Auburn's Elijah McAllister has been around the SEC for quite some time.

The Vanderbilt transfer had an opportunity to see a wide variety of talents across both lines of scrimmage come and go throughout his years with the Commodores, making  him a great opinion on skill, potential, and raw talent.

McAllister joined Zac Blackerby of the Locked On Auburn podcast during SEC Media Days and was asked about what he has seen out of Keldric Faulk, Auburn's newest JACK and their highest-rated player in their 2023 recruiting class.

The reviews thus far have been amazing, both from players and from coaches.

He's a blessed young man. God has given them giving him the ability to do a lot of different things and a lot of natural ability that some people just don't have, that you can't teach. As he continues to grow as a human being off the field and as a player on the field, he's gonna be able to be successful not only in this defense, but also in life for the University and for the program, and as he goes and he elevates as a player, the entire defense elevates. Which in turn allows our routine elevation. I'm excited for him in his future and not only the future but him right now. He has the ability to make an impact right now. Because he's that talented and he's also a kid that likes to work, it's a joy to work with him, teaching him and bouncing ideas off him as well.

Faulk, a massive addition to the line at 6-foot-5, 270-pounds, has the ability to blossom into one of the better linemen Auburn has seen come through the program as of late - and that's saying something considering how solid the Tigers' d-line has been in recent history.

Auburn DL Jayson Jones recently spoke on Faulk's abilities as well.

"Finally, I think he's understanding and it's really good that he's understanding now rather than later how to be a pro, about stuff like taking care of your body, eating right and working out and conditioning and stuff like that," Jones said.

Faulk, a massive addition to the line at 6-foot-5, 270-pounds, has the ability to blossom into one of the better linemen Auburn has seen come through the program as of late - and that's saying something considering how solid the Tigers' d-line has been in recent history.

Hugh Freeze: Tigers' roster was 'far from what I believe an Auburn roster should look like'

Auburn football announces start time for 2023 fall camp

Daily Wire's Jake Crain predicts Auburn to finish third in SEC West

Jayden Daniels shared his thoughts on playing in Jordan-Hare Stadium

Jake Crain believes Auburn football can be 'sneaky' under Hugh Freeze

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey discusses the elimination of divisions in future conference scheduling

College football expert 'doesn't see' eight wins on Auburn football's 2023 schedule

Hugh Freeze provides updates for Auburn players injured in the spring

Auburn's Hugh Freeze says new QB Payton Thorne has impressed with his 'attention to detail'

Hugh Freeze: 'Robby Ashford helps us win football games'

Hugh Freeze provides timeline for Auburn football quarterback battle

The Tigers kick off the 2023 season on September 2nd at home vs UMass at 2 p.m. CT on ESPN.

Here's a look at the entire 2023 schedule:

Sept. 2nd vs UMass

Sept. 9th at California

Sept. 16th vs Samford

Sept. 23rd at Texas A&M

Sept. 30th vs Georgia

Oct. 14th at LSU

Oct. 21st vs Ole Miss

Oct. 28th vs Mississippi State

Nov. 4th at Vanderbilt

Nov. 11th at Arkansas

Nov. 18th vs New Mexico State

Nov. 25th vs Alabama

Engage with Auburn Daily on Socials!

Join the Locked on Auburn Discord

Follow Auburn Daily on Twitter

Like Auburn Daily on Facebook

Subscribe to Locked On Auburn on YouTube

247sports.com

SEC football unfiltered Takeaways most intriguing team information from 2023 media days

Brad Crawford
14–18 minutes

The biggest insider news out of SEC Media Days.

NASHVILLE -- One learns considerably more about SEC football teams at media days from team insiders, analysts and sources than what's said on the record from coaches and players, which often provide formulaic responses. The meeting of minds offers opportunity to gauge how others view certain teams and new hires, while gleaming information from those close to certain programs and embedded in those respective universities.

Coming out of 2023 SEC Media Days in Nashville, Georgia is the program every other elite is chasing and Kirby Smart knows it. Others say they are not worried about what happens elsewhere, but it's hard to ignore the nation's longest winning streak.

There were audible murmurs about Texas and Oklahoma too, and Greg Sankey's continued reign as the commissioner all other Power Five decision-makers follow. It's a good time to be the SEC in college football's realignment era and this league has shown no signs of slowing down.

Get offseason and recruiting information on your favorite college team for $1 for first month.

There is a lot to know from SEC Media Days:

Mississippi State Bulldogs

10662251.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Keith Warren, 247Sports)

There was a feeling Mississippi State would be picked last in its division judging by the overall uncertainty around Zach Arnett — and the Bulldogs are fine with the lack of buzz. The truth is, very few actually studied this roster and the talent coming back. This is the ninth time in the last 12 years that Mississippi State slotted at the bottom of the conference in the preseason, but only three times since SEC expansion in 2012 has the team actually finished in that spot. It's hard not to be impressed with the way quarterback Will Rogers carried himself in Nashville. Much of what was said had "wait and see" type phrasing with bordering on cockiness.

Texas, Oklahoma buzz

11845707.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: USA TODAY Sports)

Soon after news broke of 2024 SEC Media Days heading Dallas next summer to commemorate Texas and Oklahoma joining the league, there was a palpable buzz about the SEC's incoming powerhouse programs. A throng of Texas and Oklahoma media members made the trip to Nashville to see what the SEC's all about and the Longhorns and Sooners are getting themselves into next summer. One Texas source provided interesting commentary about the Longhorns' offseason hype and legitimacy of this team being a playoff threat in 2023.

"They always seem to stick a banana in their tail pipe, but this is the first time since 2009 I would say Texas feels really good about their (conference) championship shot," the source said.

South Carolina Gamecocks

11408983.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Ryan Bethea, 247Sports)

Along with Sam Pittman, suffice to say Shane Beamer is the SEC's universally most well-liked coach? It feels that way. Polarizing team opinions came during the week, but any time the Gamecocks' head coach was mentioned, everything came up roses. Maybe that's part of the reason South Carolina was picked third in the division — Beamer's largely getting the benefit of the doubt.

The general consensus was that South Carolina had the talent necessary to topple Tennessee, Kentucky and Missouri — the three teams perceived on the same level as the Gamecocks behind Georgia. Those close to the program painted a much different picture, however.

There are holes in the roster, particularly at running back and in the trenches. South Carolina's offensive line play was inconsistent at best last fall and the Gamecocks rely on new faces that need to be better than your average SEC starter for this first-year offense to really go under Dowell Loggains. Spencer Rattler is the SEC's "biggest enigma" at quarterback. If he is a difference maker, perhaps the Gamecocks could shield a few potential deficiencies with another impressive season.

KJ Jefferson, Dan Enos marriage at Arkansas

10661302.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Arkansas Communications)

Is a pro-style look going to work out for the Razorbacks this season? Team insiders suggest it is, but those not so close to the action are not as convinced. Will the SEC see a more developed passing game with Dan Enos calling the shots and if so, how will that translate to production?

“It’s going to develop me as a passer — not a thrower — as a quarterback,” Jefferson told 247Sports. “And also, (Enos) just gives me the freedom to develop for the next level. When I say freedom, I mean (identifying) the Mike (linebacker) and getting us in the best play at that particular time depending on what the defense gives us."

Pittman suggests the transition from Kendal Briles to Enos will be smooth for his senior quarterback, who has another season of eligibility post-2023 if he chooses.

"I think he's going to fit great," Pittman said. "His extra study off the field has gone through the roof. I think he believes in Dan. I know Dan believes in him as well as I do. I think it's going to be best season he's had. Whether we run him quite as much as we have in the past, I don't know that. Maybe we throw the ball a little bit more than with him carrying it. We have to keep him healthy.

"Obviously, we have Jacolby Criswell and Cade Fortin behind him, but he's one (No. 1) for a reason. I think he's going to be very active but he's probably going to throw the ball a little bit more than what he has in the past."

Texas A&M Aggies

10847393.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Michael Reaves / Contributor, Getty)

Before answering a question from Bob Holt of the Arkansas Democrat Gazette, Jimbo Fisher giggled, offering up his usual here-we-go-again nod before sharing very little on his offensive plan with Bobby Petrino. Fisher's reluctancy to share if he's relinquishing play-calling duties in full to his new this season was the primary takeaway from Texas A&M's availability. Fisher also injected confidence serum into the veins of all attendees for the Aggies, who seem convinced they were better last season than their 5-7 record indicated. Texas A&M defensive lineman McKinnley Jackson's remarks that the Aggies were extremely close from being one of last year's elites missed the mark a bit. Texas A&M was picked to finish third in the west by media members, so there's an obvious level of respect that exists for this talented roster despite an odd few hours in Nashville.

LSU Tigers

11753725.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Kirby Lee, Getty)

A year into his tenure at LSU, Brian Kelly looked at home at SEC Media Days and was extremely comfortable talking about this season's Tigers. He was never flustered despite being pestered for sound bites. The most interesting portion of his commentary came in his suggestion that the infrastructure and buy-in were already in place. Only five active coaches in Power Five college football won a title and Kelly is on the short list of candidates to be the next first-time winner.

"When we get our shot, when we get our opportunity, we’ve got to be able to maximize it," Kelly told 247Sports.

Alabama Crimson Tide

Nick Saban(Photo: Stuart McNair, 247Sports)

Rumblings began early Wednesday morning prior to Nick Saban's appearance at the podium at SEC Media Days that the Alabama coach was "running hot" and bothered by remarks made, notably Paul Finebaum, questioning his legacy should the Crimson Tide fail to win the national championship. Lane Kiffin, who playfully thanked Finebaum for kicking the hornet's nest, later defended Saban. The beef between Saban and Finebaum stretches back several years, most notably in 2016 at SEC Media Days when the pair went back and forth on set after the SEC Network host critiqued the leader of Alabama's handling of a situation involving a player's arrest.

Saban was noticeably subdued at the podium, handled very few interviews on radio row besides national appearances and was more amped to leave the Grand Hyatt than he was lingering around to tout this season's hungry team coming off disappointment. One of his quotes was particularly difficult to grasp given his program's "standard" and the fact all seasons defined by competing for titles.

"I'm not here to create expectations for our team. Lots of people will do that," Saban said. "Expectations in some way are a premeditated way to create disappointment. We need to stay process-oriented, not focused on outcomes."

Auburn Tigers

11858736.jpeg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Johnnie Izquierdo, Getty)

Scale back "quarterback competition" label on the Plains

The perceived two-player race between Michigan State transfer Payton Thorne and incumbent Robby Ashford is more like a "we really hope the new guy is as good as advertised" plan for the Tigers. Thorne will be QB1, perhaps as early as the first week of training camp, and the coaching staff is anxious to see what he has to offer a passing game that was big-play strapped at times last fall.

The lack of belief in Ashford is mainly due to his inconsistencies as a passer. He helped Auburn move the football at times with his mobility, but his tendency to freelance a bit after an initial read was covered or shakiness in the short to intermediate throw game caused headaches for the offense overall.

Status of play-making ballcarrier remains unknown

The situation is fluid on the availability of Jarquez Hunter according to Hugh Freeze, but sources said the Tigers remain hopeful he is available for the opener if he's not back by the start of fall camp pending the university's handling of a unique situation. Hunter became the target of social media allegations following the release of an explicit video. Hunter was not mentioned in any statement by the university, but Auburn did acknowledge at the time that at least one player had been suspended for a violation of team rules.

Tigers aren't there yet, but it's coming

Freeze gave a long-winded, pro-Auburn answer about where his team stacks up, but it was evident that more work must be done and he knows it.

"I love our team. They're my team. They're Auburn's team. We're going to coach the heck out of them," Freeze said. "Does our roster from top to bottom look like Alabama's, Georgia's, LSU's, Florida, A&M, Ole Miss? I don't know yet. I know a couple they don't because I've watched the tape. Do I think we've improved Auburn with the additions that we've had since I've been there? Yes. Does that mean we close the gap at all? I have no clue.

"I do know we improved Auburn, and I hope that means that we somehow close the gap enough to -- if we have a good game plan, to be in some of those games in the fourth quarter and have maybe a shot to pull an upset. It's too early for me to really say, but I do know we improved our roster. But at the same time, they're constantly improving theirs it seems like."

Tennessee Volunteers

11471302.JPG?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Tennessee Athletics Communication)

The hype behind Tennessee's starting quarterback is real

Make no mistake — Tennessee's coaching staff has always thought Joe Milton could ball and the idea he lost a prior quarterback competition to Hendon Hooker previously in Knoxville is off the mark a bit. Milton "takes it personally" when people say he has lost quarterback battles at Michigan and Tennessee as a collegian. By his estimation, Milton wasn't fully-healthy in 2021 at Tennessee, which led to Hendon Hooker assuming first-team reps and never looking back under Josh Heupel. He had a thumb injury that bothered him in the past, too.

Across the spectrum of possibilities for Milton this fall, he could be the SEC's best player at the position, or be mired by inconsistencies as a passer.

"I've never a covered a quarterback who, on one hand, I could see being a first-rounder and on the other, might lose his job midway through the season," one reporter who covers the Volunteers told 247Sports.

Tennessee's transfer to watch

Bru McCoy's name came up, as well as Ramel Keyton as Tennessee's potential top receiver, but the pass-catcher most often mentioned at media days within and around the Tennessee program was Oregon transfer Dont'e Thornton. Listed at 6-5, 214 pounds, Thornton averaged 21.5 yards per catch last for the Ducks and has looked the part with the Volunteers. Part of the reason he left Oregon was due to limited targets and not being the right scheme fit. He "feels at home" in Knoxville and is a weapon who makes the staff feel better about the wide receiver room after losing Jalin Hyatt and Cedric Tillman.

Georgia Bulldogs

11533788.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Brett Davis, 247Sports)

'Better never rests' and could easily three-peat

Kirby Smart reiterated points made previously and continues to insist his Bulldogs' primary opponent this season is complacency in their quest to three-peat. The last program to win three consecutive national championships was Minnesota in the mid-1930s.

“It would be a lot of hard work that had been acknowledged,” Smart said. “I think we’re a long way from that, so to make that assumption or that theory relevant, we would have to get to that point in time. But I can assure you if we get to that point, I’m going to be worrying about the next day’s work more than I am the achievement.”

Without pads, America's best tight end looks ordinary

He's Hercules on the field, but outside of his uniform, All-American Brock Bowers could pass for an employee at the Daily Bugle. Smart joked that getting anything out of Bowers would be a difficult task before his best player sat in front of the microphone, and he was right.

Top247 LB Tylen Singleton staying home "Everybody dreams about playing for LSU from Louisiana

Brian Kelly and the Tigers land a commitment from another top in-state target.

Many (La.) High Top247 linebacker Tylen Singleton announced his commitment to LSU on Saturday night choosing the Tigers over his other finalists in Arkansas, Texas A&M, Tennessee and TCU.

Singleton becomes commit No. 20 for head coach Brian Kelly and his staff in the 2024 recruiting cycle.

“One-hundred percent committed,” Singleton posted on social media.. “I would like to thank all the coaches for recruiting me and giving me to opportunity but I will be staying home.”

Singleton raved about the LSU program this past week in an interview with 247Sports.

“Everybody dreams about playing for LSU from Louisiana,” Singleton said. “Coach BK (Brian Kelly) came in his first year and did some crazy things and I think they’re going to keep heading in that direction.”

Singleton was recruited to Baton Rouge by defensive coordinator Matt House.

"I love Coach House," Singleton has told 247Sports in the past. He will return to campus this weekend. "I went up there and loved talking to him in his office for two hours. I love the position of linebacker and everything about it. I can play for my home state and that's another big thing about it too."

247Sports ranks Singleton as the nation’s No. 15 linebacker and No. 150 prospect overall. The industry-generated 247Sports Composite slots him at No. 10 and No. 140 respectively.

As a junior Singleton had 75 tackles, four interceptions and two pick sixes. With his verbal, LSU now has commitments from five of the top six players in the state and eight of the Top 10.

A full look at this 2024 LSU class here, a haul that rises to spots to No. 12 in the 247Sports Composite Team Recruiting Rankings.

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Hugh Freeze shares injury update on Brian Battie

Taylor Jones
~2 minutes

Auburn football has several players that hope to take care of nagging injuries before the season kicks off on Sept. 2 against UMass.

Among those injured is USF transfer Brian Battie.

Buy Tigers Tickets

According to a report by Richard Silva of The Montgomery Advertiser, Battie elected to have surgery in April to repair a broken sesamoid bone in his right foot. His recovery was expected to take four months, is he on track? Head coach Hugh Freeze provided an update earlier this week.

“He’s going to suck it up and go,” Freeze said Tuesday. “I wish I felt a little better about his surgery, and maybe I’m just pushing it. I want it faster than what is coming.”

Freeze admitted that he was not sure how he would use Battie this season, but that his mind quickly changed after a successful spring practice.

“When we took him, truthfully, I was like, ‘Man, this guy is too small to play in this league and run inside the tackles, but he’s going to really help us in the return game and he’s going to really help us on some special designed outside runs,” Freeze said. “Then we get into practice and we start running inside zone with him and the guy is wiggling through holes and falling forward, so I got really, really excited about him, and I think he’s going to add great value to us.”

Battie rushed for 1,185 yards and eight touchdowns last season at USF and accounted for 659 return yards. Battie is expected to join a solid rushing attack alongside Jarquez Hunter and Damari Alston.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. You can also follow Taylor on Twitter @TaylorJones__

si.com

Hugh Freeze comments on expectations for Auburn football in 2023

Lance Dawe
~4 minutes

What are the Tigers' expectations for the upcoming season?

In Hugh Freeze's first season on the Plains, many analysts described Auburn as a "sneaky" team over the past week at SEC Media Days but that didn't make them rank the Tigers higher in the SEC West.

Before the poll was released late in the week at media days, Freeze spoke with the media about expectations for the upcoming season.

Predictions have been somewhat all over the place, but typically towards the bottom of the SEC West. What are Freeze's expectations for what the Tigers' accomplish?

"My expectation is for us to play a passionate 60-minute football game every Saturday and hopefully it's fundamentally sound where we give our kids a chance to win some games in the fourth quarter," Freeze said.

It's not about where Auburn finishes for Freeze. He can't control that.

"I don't really set some goal on where we're going to finish in the West or where I just, man, can we just play well today at practice, then tomorrow at practice and then 60 minutes on a Saturday and see where that puts us," Freeze said. "I understand why (the media) would have us all over the place. I do. And I'm okay with that. I can't control that. But we can control how we approach preparing for the opportunities that we're going to be given. We're going to be given 12 of them just like everybody else. So we got seven at home and with Jordan Hare and we can make that even more difficult. And so what we will do with those and how we prepare is what really matters, not where somebody picks us or what the expectations are from their point."

Freeze also spoke at SEC Media Days about the Tigers' roster. When asked about what the biggest surprise was since taking over the program half a year ago, Freeze was very honest.

"I don't want to be negative. Just- it was far from what I believe an Auburn roster should look like," Freeze said. "You know, recruiting has been a little more challenging than I thought for Auburn because what I believe Auburn should be, and what is proven it can be."

The Tigers kick off the 2023 season on September 2nd at home vs UMass at 2 p.m. CT on ESPN.

Sept. 2nd vs UMass

Sept. 9th at California

Sept. 16th vs Samford

Sept. 23rd at Texas A&M

Sept. 30th vs Georgia

Oct. 14th at LSU

Oct. 21st vs Ole Miss

Nov. 4th at Vanderbilt

Nov. 11th at Arkansas

Nov. 25th vs Alabama

Hugh Freeze: Tigers' roster was 'far from what I believe an Auburn roster should look like'

si.com

Lance Dawe
~2 minutes

The Tigers have announced a starting date for practice.

In this story:

Auburn Tigers

Auburn Tigers

The Tigers have announced a start time for practice before the beginning of the season.

Fall camp will begin on August 2nd for the Auburn Tigers. It will be Auburn's first season underneath head coach Hugh Freeze and it will be their last as a member of the SEC West.

Michigan State quarterback transfer Payton Thorne will be the primary focus of the camp for most Auburn fans, as he is expected to win the starting job over incumbent Robby Ashford.

si.com

Five Auburn Tigers make Preseason All-SEC teams

Lance Dawe
4–5 minutes

No Tiger was higher than third-team All-SEC.

Five Auburn Tigers landed on Preseason All-SEC teams. The media voted on the All-SEC teams at SEC Media Days in Nashville, Tennessee this week.

No Tiger was higher than third-team All-SEC.

Jarquez Hunter (Third-team)

22 – 10/15/22; Oxford, MS, USA; Jarquez Hunter (27) carries ball Auburn vs Ole Miss

Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Hunter took a dip in YPC as his freshman season progressed, but he broke out this past season with three hundred-yard performances over the final three games of the year - including two huge games against Texas A&M and Alabama.

His blend of power and explosiveness has provided Auburn with a fun compliment to star tailback Tank Bigsby - but now that Bigsby is gone, is Hunter ready to carry the load in the backfield?

READ: Hugh Freeze says Jarquez Hunter is 'the best running back I've ever coached'

All signs point towards yes, and there's reason to believe that OC Philip Montgomery and HC Hugh Freeze will be excited about using him. Hunter has also proven to be the best pass-catcher out of the backfield over the past couple of seasons.

Although, there may be someone on the depth chart that could potentially take those passing snaps away from Hunter.

Fans should be excited about Hunter's return and should expect him to continue to improve upon the standard that he has set as an explosive, shifty back that's hard to bring down.

DJ James (Third-team)

DJ James

Eric Starling/Auburn Daily

James, a transfer corner from Oregon, was lockdown for the Tigers last season, and his Pro Football Focus (PFF) grade proves that statement.

James has the third-best returning PFF grade in the SEC with an 82.3.

He's one of the best cornerbacks in the league and should be higher on this list.

Nehemiah Pritchett (Third-team)

Nehemiah Pritchett makes a tackle vs Texas A&M.

Pritchett will complete James as the opposite corner in Ron Roberts' 4-2-5 defense. He has 93 tackles and two interceptions in his four seasons as an Auburn Tiger.

The secondary should be elite in 2023, with Pritchett and DJ James forming one of the best one-two punches in the country.

Oscar Chapman (Third-team)

Oscar Chapman (91) punts the ball during the football game between the Texas A&M Aggies and the Auburn Tigers at Jordan Hare Stadium in Auburn, AL on Saturday, Nov 12, 2022. Todd Van Emst/Auburn Tigers

Todd Van Emst/Auburn Tigers

Chapman was fifth in the SEC in punting average last season and enters this year as one of the conference's best. He's already eighth in total punting yards in Auburn football history. He's sixth all-time in average.

Alex McPherson (Third-team) 

Alex McPherson

McPherson logged stats in three games as a true freshman, putting up six field goals out of seven attempts, earning him an 85.71 FG percentage, hurling a 51-yard field goal as his longest for the 2022 season. This young man looks to be off to an already impressive start as a freshman and looks to have a promising career as an Auburn Tiger. It is for these reasons that I would place my wagers on Alex McPherson being a break out freshman special teams performer for Auburn football during the upcoming 2023 season. 

Daily Wire's Jake Crain predicts Auburn to finish third in SEC West

Jayden Daniels shared his thoughts on playing in Jordan-Hare Stadium

Jake Crain believes Auburn football can be 'sneaky' under Hugh Freeze

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey discusses the elimination of divisions in future conference scheduling

College football expert 'doesn't see' eight wins on Auburn football's 2023 schedule

Hugh Freeze provides updates for Auburn players injured in the spring

Auburn's Hugh Freeze says new QB Payton Thorne has impressed with his 'attention to detail'

Hugh Freeze: 'Robby Ashford helps us win football games'

Hugh Freeze provides timeline for Auburn football quarterback battle

Sept. 2nd vs UMass

Sept. 9th at California

Sept. 16th vs Samford

Sept. 23rd at Texas A&M

Sept. 30th vs Georgia

Oct. 14th at LSU

Oct. 21st vs Ole Miss

Nov. 4th at Vanderbilt

Nov. 11th at Arkansas

Nov. 25th vs Alabama

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Jalen McLeod brings 'freaky' skillset with him to the Plains

Taylor Jones
2–3 minutes

Auburn needed a few players to build up its pass rush depth and found just that within the transfer portal and recruiting.

Vanderbilt transfer Elijah McAllister and true freshman Keldric Faulk will see action this fall at the JACK position, but there is one player that is not being talked about enough, Appalachian State transfer Jalen McLeod.

Buy Tigers Tickets

McLeod graded out at 86.6 last season according to Pro Football Focus, and had an incredible output of 90.7 in pass rushing. He created 37 total quarterback pressures last season at Appalachian State, which breaks down to six sacks, eight QB hits, and 23 hurries. Included in those sacks were two sacks of Texas A&M quarterback Haynes King in the Mountaineers’ 17-14 upset win over the Aggies.

McLeod is an incredible defensive player and plays the game in a humble way.

“He’s a humble guy; he doesn’t brag about it, but we see it on tape,” Elijah McAllister said Tuesday during SEC Media Days. “I’ve never seen that in my life. I’m like ‘dang, Jalen, you did that?’ What did it feel like? ‘I don’t know, I just blacked out, man.'”

Although McAllister, or the rest of his Auburn teammates, have yet to see McLeod on a full scale, he assures Auburn fans that McLeod will prove his worth this season on the field.

“J-Mac, man, that dude’s athletic, he’s freaky, he’s twitchy,” McLeod said. “I’m excited to share the field with him, I’m excited to continue to learn from him in terms of pass rush.”

McAllister also went on to say that he and McLeod will bring a lot to the table, and will provide a solid “1-2 punch” to the JACK linebacker spot.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. You can also follow Taylor on Twitter @TaylorJones__

yahoo.com

Auburn offensive lineman makes 247Sports’ All-Name Team

JD McCarthy
~2 minutes

781f01f5ae0714e46ada754528e63f23

It hasn’t been determined yet if offensive lineman Jaden Muskrat will be a starter for Auburn this season but he was just named to one of the top groups in college football, the 247Sports’ All-Name Team.

Muskrat is entering his first season at Auburn after spending the past three seasons at Tulsa. He entered the portal after the season and decided to reunite with Auburn offensive coordinator Phillip Montgomery, who was his head coach at Tusla.

The 6-foot-3, 302-pounder is in contention to be Auburn’s starting guard, battling Kameron Stutts, tate johnson, Jeremiah Wright and Connor Lew for the two spots.

Muskrat played 18 games at tackle for Tulsa and could slide back outside for Auburn if needed, but he profiles more as a guard in the SEC and that is his path to playing time.