Women's Soccer Team at it Again

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

We knew what they were protesting.

Fair, it looks like after a quick google, the soccer team is protesting in support of women’s/LGBTQ rights. 

6 minutes ago, arein0 said:

Did their protest from 2020 ever end? Who is to say that settlement check for the USWNT was only a small stepping stone in their cause?

Who knows? But is a protest against USWNT a protest against your country? Is every grievance a protest against the USA?

3 minutes ago, Didba said:

Fair, it looks like after a quick google, the soccer team is protesting in support of women’s/LGBTQ rights. 

What exactly? 

13 minutes ago, Didba said:

A great moment in American History. 

IMG_3189.jpeg

BTW, ever hear where the gloves came from and what happened to the third guy?

2 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

But is a protest against USWNT a protest against your country? 

There is a difference between a protest against the USWNT and wishing/hoping they would lose.

Many people don't watch and many more will continue to not watch.

However actively rooting for them to fail is rooting for America to lose. Like it or not, they are our representatives on the World Stage

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

32 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Pretty good human-interest story all the way around on this one, although it doesn't have a storybook ending by any means...the third man was Australian Peter Norman (he finished 2nd), and he was wearing a badge in support of what Carlos and Smith were protesting.  I'm guessing the badge is the circular object toward his left shoulder.

He caught a lot of grief in Australia for supporting Carlos and Smith, and caught it for a long time.

Norman died in 2006.  Carlos and Smith were pallbearers at his funeral.

Back to the USWNT, I'll be interested to see what the personality of the team is going forward, because Rapinoe appears to form the public perception of it.  Their messaging is unclear at best, since we're having to hunt down what it is they might be protesting against (or if they're not really protesting anything and some of them just don't like the U.S. national anthem, and are doing what a lot of U.S. athletes do during the playing, who give the appearance of "get this over with, I'm ready to play").

Edited by SLAG-91
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, arein0 said:

There is a difference between a protest against the USWNT and wishing/hoping they would lose.

Many people don't watch and many more will continue to not watch.

However actively rooting for them to fail is rooting for America to lose. Like it or not, they are our representatives on the World Stage

I don't even know that they're protesting. It's all assumption at this point. But I'm not defending any random folks rooting against them.

But if they're protesting USWNT over pay, perhaps boycott USWNT. Or play and mention that every chance you get. Behaving in a way that lessens support for the team isn't a great way to get paid more.

53 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Yeah, I think I remember the gloves came from the guy in third place because one of them forgot their black gloves. He was going to wear black gloves with them I think. As to what happened to him after? I’m sure some group of people ignorantly demonized. Probably both sides had a group to do so. 

56 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

What exactly? 

I have to imagine protesting against women losing the right to abortion and the anti-trans movement/legislation that has been popping up around the country. Probably the recent case allowing discrimination against lgbtq people as well. I think several women on the team are lgbtq. 

• Facepalm 1

26 minutes ago, Didba said:

I have to imagine protesting against women losing the right to abortion and the anti-trans movement/legislation that has been popping up around the country. Probably the recent case allowing discrimination against lgbtq people as well. I think several women on the team are lgbtq. 

But those actions are by states, not the USA. Again, you're left to guess. We don't really know. Is it the same for every member standing around? If those are the reasons, does every political grievance now result in protesting the flag?

Just my opinion, but I think a lot of us are just fatigued with protests and causes and cancels, and badges and banners and flags, and recognition weeks and months (one day used to be sufficient). It’s too much and somewhat counter-productive. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Just my opinion, but I think a lot of us are just fatigued with protests and causes and cancels, and badges and banners and flags, and recognition weeks and months (one day used to be sufficient). It’s too much and somewhat counter-productive. 

I'm old enough to remember world wide competitions as being unifying events across political lines. A country needs those and we have too few (do we really have any anymore?).  If a sporting event is necessarily political, I'm just not interested anymore. Enough.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

What exactly? 

These women feel oppressed and see friends being oppressed and discriminated against being upheld by SCOTUS.  To you it may pale in comparison to the protest I posted a picture of but  to the women protesting it is exactly the same.  Oppression and discrimination.

Just what I see.

Edited by Didba
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Didba said:

As you know women did not lose the right to have an abortion.  Each state determines the rule of engagement so to speak.  The case allowing discrimination against LGBTQ people is very limited in scope and they would be pissed just to be pissed, or they are protesting religion.  Again, there is no theme to their protest even if it is a protest.

Most women’s sports are against biological men play in women’s sports, so if that is part of the protest, I can see why they are keeping it quiet. It’s not a popular stance.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

But I'm not defending any random folks rooting against them.

We might be having 2 different conversations because those folks, op of the thread, is who my post is for.

One of the great things about the US is that you have the ability to protest. Hell, you can even protest a protest. Protesting doesn't make you "un-American."

However, rooting for America to fail, lose or be embarrassed on the world stage is absolutely un-American. And I will call them out for it regardless of political affiliation. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, arein0 said:

We might be having 2 different conversations because those folks, op of the thread, is who my post is for.

One of the great things about the US is that you have the ability to protest. Hell, you can even protest a protest. Protesting doesn't make you "un-American."

However, rooting for America to fail, lose or be embarrassed on the world stage is absolutely un-American. And I will call them out for it regardless of political affiliation. 

I generally feel that way and I’m not rooting for them to fail, but what about when those nominally representing America are disrespectful to it and unenthused about representing it?

• Like 1

The entire point of freedom of speech being of such monumental importance to who we are as a nation that it's the First Amendment is that it grants people the right to say things we don't like, things some find offensive, to criticize and protest our own government.  If kneeling, not singing, not putting a hand over one's heart and so on during the national anthem bothers you, that's fine.  But this is the United States of America functioning as intended.  Every signatory to the Declaration of Independence and framer of our Constitution wanted exactly these kinds of freedoms to be in place for everyone.

If you want to make the case that you should be heard and allowed to state your beliefs in the public arena without fear of being cancelled, attacked, shut down, or arrested, you cannot turn around and get bent when people use that same freedom to make statements you don't agree with.  You undermine your own argument when you do so.  

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 7/22/2023 at 4:22 PM, auburnatl1 said:

While it doesn’t keep me up nights, it is annoying and has become tiresome. It’s one thing to passionately disagree with policy but obviously to  many veterans and military families in grief it’s very painful. And changes nothing.  In fact it can demonize their cause. Wrong way, wrong place, wrong time. Wrong. 

Really dumb. May be they should talk with Brittney Griner first.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

The entire point of freedom of speech being of such monumental importance to who we are as a nation that it's the First Amendment is that it grants people the right to say things we don't like, things some find offensive, to criticize and protest our own government.  If kneeling, not singing, not putting a hand over one's heart and so on during the national anthem bothers you, that's fine.  But this is the United States of America functioning as intended.  Every signatory to the Declaration of Independence and framer of our Constitution wanted exactly these kinds of freedoms to be in place for everyone.

If you want to make the case that you should be heard and allowed to state your beliefs in the public arena without fear of being cancelled, attacked, shut down, or arrested, you cannot turn around and get bent when people use that same freedom to make statements you don't agree with.  You undermine your own argument when you do so.  

Impossible to disagree with that. I just think there are better ways to do it. Imo it shows a lack of understanding and empathy to others that have suffered for that symbol.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Ditto.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Son of A Tiger said:

I find the first article hilarious. The only player they mention by name is Alex Morgan and she is the one in the picture with her hand over her heart. It's like she is the only name they knew besides Rapinoe and they couldn't use her name since she didn't start.

9 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

03474FAC-AF2D-4819-8720-D4421569BDDF.gif.2f9d20cc359bea0644b6c71a72846898.gif

14 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

I generally feel that way and I’m not rooting for them to fail, but what about when those nominally representing America are disrespectful to it and unenthused about representing it?

I guess it is a good thing we don't have to worry about that as we don't have any "rent-a-players," one of the few teams with all players born in the country they represent. As for the enthused part, that is evident by their play / effort on the field.

3 hours ago, arein0 said:

I guess it is a good thing we don't have to worry about that as we don't have any "rent-a-players," one of the few teams with all players born in the country they represent. As for the enthused part, that is evident by their play / effort on the field.

You’re missing my point. They clearly want to win.