Women's Soccer Team at it Again

While it doesn’t keep me up nights, it is annoying and has become tiresome. It’s one thing to passionately disagree with policy but obviously to  many veterans and military families in grief it’s very painful. And changes nothing.  In fact it can demonize their cause. Wrong way, wrong place, wrong time. Wrong. 

• Like 3

I rarely criticize someone exercising their right to protest. Really the only time I will is Westboro Baptist Church when they do it at funerals of soldiers.

• Like 2

What's more un-American? Standing during the National Anthem without covering your heart, or wishing Americans would be embarrassed on the world stage?

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 3

in 73 i went through bootcamp. they taught us to respect peoples right to protest and that it was a sacred right that americans have to be able to do so. now i was 17 and knew nothing much of anything at the time but i have never forgotten it. and many vets including seals has said it is an american right to do so. if someone protests the flag or the natty i am proud they have that right. i think when they beat the crap out of vets in wheel chairs at the 68 dem convention it changed the narrative. and one day i expect somoen on here that is big on rights will want that one taken away.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

While everyone has a right to do as they please and vets say that out loud in public.    It’s a disrespectful thing to do.   There is no denying that and common sense says there is a time and place for everything.    State your cause or concerns before the event at a press conference but when you are representing the country on a world stage, have some respect.   It’s a basic principle.   You wouldn’t disrespect your family in that setting, so why disrespect the country that is giving an opportunity to represent it.   And paying you!!!!   Have some f’in pride about yourself and country.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, AUDub said:

Good God who cares

Well certainly not folks with pink and blue hair, face tats and multiple body piercings. :laugh:

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, arein0 said:

What's more un-American? Standing during the National Anthem without covering your heart, or wishing Americans would be embarrassed on the world stage?

Oreo GIF | GIFER

• Like 1

They have the right. But I’ve increasingly found this team tiresome. I’d much prefer they have the balance to be respectful of their own representation of our country and then speak their minds in a balanced way, criticizing whatever they see fit. If they don’t see themselves as representing our country and doing so respectfully, why should we feel any connection to them? It’s hard for me to care about them. I loved the 1999 World Cup team. They were strong women who spoke their minds. Not a shrinking violet on that team. But their strength and outspokenness was from a place of general positivity. Haven’t sensed that lately. 

• Like 1

Wait a few more years and then all the "Never Were Players as Males" will suddenly declare themselves women and the US Womens Soccer Team will never lose another match again, EVER.

Rapinoe announces trans women welcome onto USNWT.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/10/sport/megan-rapinoe-trans-rights-us-soccer-spt-intl/index.html

Rapinoe immediately announces retirement.

https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/msnbc-opinion/megan-rapinoe-soccer-retirement-fifa-womens-world-cup-trans-rights-rcna95629

20 hours ago, arein0 said:

I get where you’re coming from but are they representing us or just themselves?

2 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

I get where you’re coming from but are they representing us or just themselves?

Like every athlete, it's probably a bit of both. The athlete wants to use the team to promote themselves by winning at the highest level, and the team wants to use the athlete to win games and promote the team.

I think the real issue is do you believe athletes should use their platform for social changes? 

I personally believe they should.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, arein0 said:

Like every athlete, it's probably a bit of both. The athlete wants to use the team to promote themselves by winning at the highest level, and the team wants to use the athlete to win games and promote the team.

I think the real issue is do you believe athletes should use their platform for social changes? 

@Son of A TigerI would be interested to hear why you disagree.

3 hours ago, arein0 said:

I have no problem with that, per se. My question is whether this is the most effective way to do it.  Playing for their pro team is one thing-- but playing for the USA team is a choice and a privilege. There's understandably a different level of expectation. Of course, once you have that stage, one can use the increased profile to make a statement or a point. This can be done through social media and interviews. But on the field, you're representing your country. If the team expects the support of the country they need to be more mindful of how they represent it. If they handled themselves responsibly and professionally, I might even agree with their position made through interviews and social media. But if they comport themselves this way, I'm less apt to follow or ever hear it. And I suspect I'm already more persuadable to their cause. If you want to change minds, one is mindful of not closing minds to your message at the start. If you're just making a statement without the goal of trying to win people to your point of view, you are just virtue signaling.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, arein0 said:

What is the women’s team protesting?  I haven’t a clue.  

30 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Good question. I think it's an assumption. Could be a protest, could just be them being them. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

There is always something protest worthy. Have to take maximum advantage when a stage is provided.

23 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

There is always something protest worthy. Have to take maximum advantage when a stage is provided.

more effective when you let the public in on it, though.

42 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Good question. I think it's an assumption. Could be a protest, could just be them being them. 

Not outright stated, but I would assume unequal pay, protection from sexual abuse, and lack of resources in women's sports. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, arein0 said:

Not outright stated, but I would assume unequal pay, protection from sexual abuse, and lack of resources in women's sports. 

You're left to fill in the blanks, which assumes a protest to begin with and not just self-centered behavior. And it wasn't the Missouri anthem being played or the Missouri flag being raised.

A great moment in American History. 

IMG_3189.jpeg

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

You're left to fill in the blanks, which assumes a protest to begin with and not just self-centered behavior.

Did their protest from 2020 ever end? Who is to say that settlement check for the USWNT was only a small stepping stone in their cause?