DeSantis insists students look on the bright side of slavery

TexasTiger

On 7/23/2023 at 9:50 AM, AU9377 said:

This is the equivalent of claiming that many Jews learned valuable skills and met many friends while in concentration camps that they were able to use when they were released.

Or how black slave women learned how to please a man sexually by being raped.

Father in heaven above...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

The republicans have lost ground in 3 election cycles in a row. Maga wins primaries in purple states, consistently loses every election. It’s just demographic math. The guaranteed way (and only way) a mentally diminished Biden can win is if Trump wins the nomination. But maga can’t seem to connect the dots even after 3 straight failures.  Nonetheless if I was a liberal, I’d be talking about the wonders of trump every chance I got - because against anyone else Biden gets completely smoked.

I wonder how much of it is the MAGA crowd turning independents off Republican vs Millenials and Gen Z becoming eligible and energized to vote and the Republican Party has done nothing but turn them away by wanting to raise the voting age and blocking the education loan forgiveness as examples.

12 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I’m sorry, what?  You know about those because it was out in the open.  Nobody would have know about the Bidens if the crack head son hadn’t left a laptop in a repair shop and forgot about it.  Come on man.  The Biden’s sold us out.  Trump might have taken advantage, but there is no comparison.

The only thing Republicans can prove to this point is what Hunter Biden's penis looks like. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, arein0 said:

I wonder how much of it is the MAGA crowd turning independents off Republican vs Millenials and Gen Z becoming eligible and energized to vote and the Republican Party has done nothing but turn them away by wanting to raise the voting age and blocking the education loan forgiveness as examples.

Just look at ga. Non maga Republican governor wins, 2 maga Republican senators lose. Trump/maga stuff gets completely crushed in the cities.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

The only thing Republicans can prove to this point is what Hunter Biden's penis looks like. 

More information is coming in daily.  Standby.

45 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

More information is coming in daily.  Standby.

"He also has a Prince Albert and it curves to the left slightly. Checkmate, libtards."

Edited by AUDub
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Proof money can buy you many things. :laugh:

1 hour ago, SLAG-91 said:

I just came here to post this.  If people take the time to read the curriculum and listen to Dr. Allen they can see his view is worth teaching.  Having a VP that’s only purpose is to divide is not helping.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Having a VP that’s only purpose is to divide is not helping.

You are correct M4. Some real “cherry picking” to be divisive about. The curriculum is embedded in Tex initial post.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Spanks.

maxresdefault.jpg

"Would you uncover the communist menace with me? I'd uncover the communist menace with me. I'd uncover the communist menace with me hard."

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

I just came here to post this.  If people take the time to read the curriculum and listen to Dr. Allen they can see his view is worth teaching.  Having a VP that’s only purpose is to divide is not helping.

This is rich.  I'm not her biggest fan either, but there is no candidate that loves the path of division more than Ron DeSantis.  He is on a level above Trump in that regard.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

You are correct M4. Some real “cherry picking” to be divisive about. The curriculum is embedded in Tex initial post.

It's not cherry picking. It's not a question of quantity.

"Must point out the benefits of slavery" is just plain dumb as a requirement. Anyone should be able to see that. It was easy thing to leave out and avoid much of this, but they didn't. Dumb. Real dumb.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

It's not cherry picking. It's not a question of quantity.

"Must point out the benefits of slavery" is just plain dumb as a requirement. Anyone should be able to see that. It was easy thing to leave out and avoid much of this, but they didn't. Dumb. Real dumb.

So pointing out some slaves were resilient, ambitious and smart enough to make a bad situation better and be a beacon of success for generations to come should not be taught? Or are you saying the subject should just leave it at all slaves were doomed and can’t think for themselves so why try, it’s not your fault, blame it on slavery?  

Do you think there is a happy medium or is it the wording what you have a problem with?  You do know it wasn’t DeSantis that wrote the curriculum, right?

5 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

So pointing out some slaves were resilient, ambitious and smart enough to make a bad situation better and be a beacon of success for generations to come should not be taught? Or are you saying the subject should just leave it at all slaves were doomed and can’t think for themselves so why try, it’s not your fault, blame it on slavery?  

Do you think there is a happy medium or is it the wording what you have a problem with?  You do know it wasn’t DeSantis that wrote the curriculum, right?

This post is too absurd to try and respond to. One can highlight stories of those folks who emerged as successes from slavery without insisting that they emerged successfully because of slavery's "benefits" to them. Give me an example of someone you think became successful because of the benefits of slavery. Most success stories are from folks that overcame the disadvantages and hurdles slavery created for them. But do tell me the stories you think fit your framework.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Must point out the benefits of slavery"

Missed that one Tex. I read “ in some instances”….   My initial response was that it would not have jumped out me and of course Kamala is upset. Election year is close so she needs be heard.

Of course the expectant crowd jumps in with thumbs down and articles with pictures to educate us ignorant ones on the evils of slavery.

6 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

This post is too absurd to try and respond to. One can highlight stories of those folks who emerged as successes from slavery without insisting that they emerged successfully because of slavery's "benefits" to them. Give me an example of someone you think became successful because of the benefits of slavery. Most success stories are from folks that overcame the disadvantages and hurdles slavery created for them. But do tell me the stories you think fit your framework.

Interesting, so you admit that you have not listened to Dr William Allen’s clarification of his curriculum?  You might want to start there if you actually are curious.  He is one of the scholars that wrote the curriculum.

How would you frame the reason for success of the people that came out of slavery?  I have a feeling you are just upset at the wording if you are honest with yourself.

• Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Interesting, so you admit that you have not listened to Dr William Allen’s clarification of his curriculum?  You might want to start there if you actually are curious.  He is one of the scholars that wrote the curriculum.

How would you frame the reason for success of the people that came out of slavery?  I have a feeling you are just upset at the wording if you are honest with yourself.

William Allen has proven himself too damn ignorant to have ever been in this role. Please read a bio of Booker T. Washington and tell me how his success was due to skills he learned as a slave? Please tell me how Crispus Attucks did? He listed those two folks.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Yes, some slaves learned skills like smithing. Did they benefit from it? The whole point of slavery is that the master benefits from the slave's labor and skill, not the slave.

Slavery was not an apprenticeship program. The vast, VAST majority of them died in bondage. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Yes, some slaves learned skills like smithing. Did they benefit from it? The whole point of slavery is that the master benefits from the slave's labor and skill, not the slave.

Slavery was not an apprenticeship program. The vast, VAST majority of them died in bondage. 

Aren't you ignoring the fact that they died with a skill that benefited the slavemaster?

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

11 minutes ago, AUDub said:

I am not defending slavery, so let’s get that straight.  The issue here is how it is being taught and the disagreement in how it is presented.  Don’t believe, like a lot of people, that this curriculum lessens the blot on our history, just that some were resilient and had the ability to overcome such horrors.

The only slaves that were able to *benefit* from skills they learned (or were forced to endure) were the ones at the end of slavery.  Slavery being a horrendous part of history is not debatable.

31 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

William Allen has proven himself too damn ignorant to have ever been in this role. Please read a bio of Booker T. Washington and tell me how his success was due to skills he learned as a slave? Please tell me how Crispus Attucks did? He listed those two folks.

You cited an article from Tampa Bay Times as reference to Dr. Allen’s *ignorance* and for some reason has disappeared from you post.  It appears there are a lot of inconsistencies in his story and what other historians have presented.

Of course, he corroborated with another scholar on this project and it was sent to the board of education in Florida and was approved.  One does have to wonder if these historians (Allen and his partner) could have vetted their information with others before publishing.