DeSantis insists students look on the bright side of slavery

TexasTiger

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

This is the equivalent of claiming that many Jews learned valuable skills and met many friends while in concentration camps that they were able to use when they were released.

It’s not. This is an example of how liberals loose people. Obviously slavery was morally bankrupt and dehumanizing  in a thousand different ways.   And death and rape were common.  I understand the sentiment, but to quickly pivot to compare it to nazi death camps designed by engineers specifically to kill 100,000 people a month  - a pure genocide machine - isn’t accurate.

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 3
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 2

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

What is this "Black Queer" theory?

Do not know and have no real reason to find out other you asking the question 93. According to the article Desantis calls it “indoctrination”. 

Edited by SaltyTiger
  • Like 1

Just now, SaltyTiger said:

Do not know have no real reason to find out other you asking the question 93. According to the article Desantis calls it “indoctrination”. 

You claimed it was the real reason Harris was upset. Just lying, Salty?

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

22 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

It’s not. This is an example of hn ow liberals loose people. Obviously slavery was morally bankrupt and dehumanizing  in a thousand different ways.   And death and rape were common.  I understand the sentiment, but to quickly pivot to compare it to nazi death camps designed by engineers specifically to kill 100,000 people a month  - a pure genocide machine - isn’t accurate.

:-\

Well, they do have a lot in common, such as the idea the victims were less than human and the use of them for slave labor.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

You claimed it was the real reason Harris was upset. Just lying, Salty?

I did not not intend to lie. My guess is that she gets upset about most things Desantis and Florida “extremist leaders” do.

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/news/politics/government/2023/07/21/kamala-harris-takes-floridas-fight-over-black-history-to-jacksonville/70443827007/

“Democrats like Kamala Harris have to lie about Florida's educational standards to cover for their agenda of indoctrinating students and pushing sexual topics onto children,” he tweeted. “Florida stands in their way and we will continue to expose their agenda and their lies.”

Florida GOP Chairman Christian Ziegler struck a similar tone, saying by email that Harris “hopped on the first flight down to Florida in order to lecture Floridian parents that their children belong to the government and the government has a right to indoctrinate and sexualize our children.”

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, SaltyTiger said:

I did not not intend to lie. My guess is that she gets upset about most things Desantis and Florida “extremist leaders” do.

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/news/politics/government/2023/07/21/kamala-harris-takes-floridas-fight-over-black-history-to-jacksonville/70443827007/

“Democrats like Kamala Harris have to lie about Florida's educational standards to cover for their agenda of indoctrinating students and pushing sexual topics onto children,” he tweeted. “Florida stands in their way and we will continue to expose their agenda and their lies.”

Florida GOP Chairman Christian Ziegler struck a similar tone, saying by email that Harris “hopped on the first flight down to Florida in order to lecture Floridian parents that their children belong to the government and the government has a right to indoctrinate and sexualize our children.”

A purely partisan response which deflects from the criticism. The fact that you and Nola are actually defending teaching the notion that slavery had "benefits" to the slave takes me back to the 60s. For the small number of slaves that learned a skill like blacksmithing, was that a skill? Sure. What was the "benefit" from slavery, though, if I'm a slave-- That I'm blacksmithing all day in the barn to avoid the lash? C'mon, Salty. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, homersapien said:

:-\

Well, they do have a lot in common, such as the idea the victims were less than human and the use of them for slave labor.

Um - yes both dehumananize. But it’s a really bad comparison. You don’t need hyperbole to make valid point. If you can’t see the difference - ask a Jew - they’ve been the target of both  and maybe can better explain it

• Like 2

nd

23 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

Um - yes both dehumananize. But it’s a really bad comparison. You don’t need hyperbole to make valid point. If you can’t see the difference - ask a Jew - they’ve been the target of both  and maybe can better explain it

Well - in my opinion -  they are both examples taken from the same category. 

Both dehumanized their victims and placed little or no value on their lives as human beings. (I include the lynchings during Jim Crow as an extension of chattel slavery.)  

While their may be some practical differences in scale and motivation, morally they were equivalent.

And I am extensively familiar with the holocaust in all it's aspects.  There's no need for me to "ask a Jew" - or anyone else who was a victimized by the holocaust. :-\

(And one doesn't have to be a "liberal" to see the moral connection.)

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

A purely partisan response which deflects from the criticism. The fact that you and Nola are actually defending teaching the notion that slavery had "benefits" to the slave takes me back to the 60s. For the small number of slaves that learned a skill like blacksmithing, was that a skill? Sure. What was the "benefit" from slavery, though, if I'm a slave-- That I'm blacksmithing all day in the barn to avoid the lash? C'mon, Salty. 

We are not defending teaching anything. “Bright Side” came from your choosing of a topic title. Tongue in cheek “Bright side” in my op means I do not see anything being taught that deems slavery as beneficial. There was no “bright side to be taught. I read through the curriculum and saw teaching skills and trades learned are taught as small part the Florida black history curriculum. 

I have had three sons and each went through a school system that had black history study months. All went through and learned with no complaints from parents and no problems. Maybe Desantis tries to create solutions where there is no problem.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 3

6 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

It’s not. This is an example of how liberals loose people. Obviously slavery was morally bankrupt and dehumanizing  in a thousand different ways.   And death and rape were common.  I understand the sentiment, but to quickly pivot to compare it to nazi death camps designed by engineers specifically to kill 100,000 people a month  - a pure genocide machine - isn’t accurate.

They are not the equivalent one to the other, that much I agree,  However, the idiocy of making the statement is as insulting to blacks as it is to Jews.  In that way, the situations are comparable.  If a slave ran away from their owner, they were usually beaten or killed for doing so.  Laws required others to return them to their owners upon being discovered. 

I understand that, while also am not someone that is judgmental as to the character of people that were born in a different world than the one we live in today.  I have never been a big proponent of changing the names of military bases or removing statues of Confederate generals etc.  All the same, I think it is remarkable that someone would include that in a curriculum and not hesitate to consider how in poor taste it is today.

• Like 1

Open in app or online
  mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fsubstackcdn.com%2  

the failed state of Florida has an excellent new idea about how it can miseducate its children.

Florida pushes its students to think more positively about slavery

what, and I can not put too fine a point on this, in actual ****.

For example, according to the state’s new guidelines, instructors will be expected to teach students that enslaved Black people “developed skills” that “could be applied for their personal benefit.”

holy s***.

do I have this right? maybe — but just maybe — it was wrong take a bunch of people, chain them up and pack them into the hold of a ship, starve them, sell them into slavery, dehumanize them, force them to work for free, brutalize them, control every aspect of their lives, kill and rape them with impunity — and do this for hundreds of years — but at least we taught them useful trades, so it all evens out in the end?

what. the. ****.

Ron DeSantis, the guy who liked to sit in on Gitmo torture sessions so he could have a good laugh, can’t understand what the ruckus is all about.

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fsubstackcdn.com%2Fimage%2Fyoutube%2Fw_550%2Cc_limit%2Fl_youtube_play_qyqt8q%2Cw_120%2FimdWkRXeSSQ&t=1690155007&ymreqid=5daab59a-31c8-a83a-1cab-0a0001019400&sig=ZGLKqm0jn8WTKw.o6oj0hg--~D

here’s Ron: “they're probably going to show some of the folks that eventually parlayed, you know, being a blacksmith into, into doing things later in life.”

folks, can we have a little chat about this guy?

this is what your back looks like when you’ve been whipped your entire life.

if you’d said to this guy, “we’re going to make it so until the day you die, it will be painful to wear a shirt, but also we’re going to show you how to make horseshoes,” do you think he would have answered “yeah, fair deal, bring it on”?

let’s get ******* real here.

this “slavery wasn’t really so bad” bull**** has been going on since forever.

look how happy they are!

Gone With The Wind is basically a three-and-a-half-hour-long pro-slavery manifesto. in one scene:

Ashley Wilkes, a gentle Confederate captain who never wanted to go to war in the first place, at one point begs Scarlett not to hire white convicts to work their lumber mill, asking her instead to let him hire “free darkies” because the convicts are badly treated by their Irish boss. Scarlett points out that there’s really no difference between slavery and hiring badly treated white convicts. Ashley insists that there is a difference because, “we didn’t treat them that way.”

“we didn’t treat them that way.”

sure you didn’t.

in Germany, schoolchildren are taught about the Holocaust. it’s mandatory. and they don’t sugar-coat it with stupid fairy tales. they don’t try to pretend that Jews learned useful skills like how to hide in an attic.

if German schoolchildren can learn about the horrors of the Holocaust, American schoolchildren can learn about the horrors of slavery.

stop the bull****.

everyone is entitled to my own opinion is a reader-supported publication. To receive new posts and support my work, consider becoming a free or paid subscriber.

You're currently a free subscriber to everyone is entitled to my own opinion . For the full experience, upgrade your subscription.

Upgrade to paid

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fsubstackcdn.com%2Like

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fsubstackcdn.com%2Comment

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fsubstackcdn.com%2Restack

© 2023 Jeff Tiedrich
548 Market Street PMB 72296, San Francisco, CA 94104
Unsubscribe

Get the appStart writing

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Feotrx.substackcdnmail?url=https%3A%2F%2Femail.mg-d1.subst

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

•  
  •  
  • or
  •  

photo?spsize=180X180&fallback_url=https%
Jeff Tiedrich From Everyone Is Entitled To My Own Opinion
  • Like 2
  • Dislike 2

5 hours ago, Son of A Tiger said:

Not even close as you are to Trump.

um that is MY job.............but hey guess what son? at the end of the day he did not vote for him but YOU did...............grins.

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

um that is MY job.............but hey guess what son? at the end of the day he did not vote for him but YOU did...............grins.

Yep it was him vs. Hillary.....a no brainer. I will vote for him again if it's him vs. Biden but I hope neither will be the candidates.

• Like 1

Slavery was a terrible, inhumane institution and Republicans have been trying to downplay it or 'put it in another light' for decades..this is just another example of that. There is no reason whatsoever for the limited amount of instruction and history that's given to American slavery in schools to waste time with the narrative that  "weeeeeellll....if you really think about it...there were some benefits for a few slaves if you dig deep enough...Weeeeelllll, not every slave was mistreated badly, so it wasn't all bad" 

Come on..we're not stupid...we know what Florida/Conservatives are doing here...they've been doing this whataboutism on slavery since Jim Crow and the Confederacy groups helped shape American education and narratives on the Civil war and slavery in much of the country.

"Well Black people in Africa sold their people to Americans/Europeans, so how could we be bad if Black Africans were selling their own people to us?" 

"Well, there were a few Black people in America who owned slaves too. How could slavery have victimized black people if there were a couple black slave owners, huh?...there were also white slaves too! What about them?!?"

"I mean these black people had no education or skills....they would have just lived in poverty and died of starvation if we didn't have plantation slavers to give them food and shelter" 

"Eh other places in the world had slavery...we were just doing what everyone else was" 

Now we're moving into:

"Slavery may not have been great, but at least the slaves learned skills and trades that they could teach down to their decedents and help their eventual free ancestors earn a living!..they probably were better off working hard for the white American in the US than they would have been in some tribal village in Africa anyway" 

Post image

Post image

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

16 hours ago, Son of A Tiger said:

Yep it was him vs. Hillary.....a no brainer. I will vote for him again if it's him vs. Biden but I hope neither will be the candidates.

Many Republicans said that the only reason Biden won in 2020 was because of people voting 'against' Trump, and not 'for' Biden. .......So the GOP looks like it's going to follow that up by.....running Trump against Biden again? 

That would be a bold strategy to be sure. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Many Republicans said that the only reason Biden won in 2020 was because of people voting 'against' Trump, and not 'for' Biden. .......So the GOP looks like it's going to follow that up by.....running Trump against Biden again? 

It seems that way.  The choice will be between a person that sold out our country for money and a despicable, mean texting bore.  What a choice!!!

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

It seems that way.  The choice will be between a person that sold out our country for money and a despicable, mean texting bore.  What a choice!!!

Dude, Trump literally put half his family into government positions they weren't qualified for. He also rented out his own properties to his secret service agents charging the government high prices to do so. His son in laws $2Billion Saudi deal and his families Chinese business connections also say hello. 

If you don't think Trump and his family wasn't using his presidential position to profit then I don't know what to tell you. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Dude, Trump literally put half his family into government positions they weren't qualified for. He also rented out his own properties to his secret service agents charging the government high prices to do so. His son in laws $2Billion Saudi deal and his families Chinese business connections also say hello. 

If you don't think Trump and his family wasn't using his presidential position to profit then I don't know what to tell you. 

Maybe he comes from an alternate universe?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

I’m sorry, what?  You know about those because it was out in the open.  Nobody would have know about the Bidens if the crack head son hadn’t left a laptop in a repair shop and forgot about it.  Come on man.  The Biden’s sold us out.  Trump might have taken advantage, but there is no comparison.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

The republicans have lost ground in 3 election cycles in a row. Maga wins primaries in purple states, consistently loses every election. It’s just demographic math. The guaranteed way (and only way) a mentally diminished Biden can win is if Trump wins the nomination. But maga can’t seem to connect the dots even after 3 straight failures.  Nonetheless if I was a liberal, I’d be talking about the wonders of trump every chance I got - because against anyone else Biden gets completely smoked.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, auburnatl1 said:

Nonetheless if I was a liberal, I’d be talking about the wonders of trump every chance I got - because against anyone else Biden gets completely smoked.

The game plan is to indict Trump as many times as possible before the primaries.  Every time he gets indicted he gains in popularity. Biden wants Trump to win the nomination.  Biden has his own worries which will make an interesting election year.