DeSantis insists students look on the bright side of slavery

TexasTiger

25 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

“Bright side”. Reads like a curriculum to me which includes a study of trades/skills some slaves acquired. Of course Kamala is upset. Black Queer theory rejected. 

Edited by SaltyTiger
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

“Bright side”. Reads like a curriculum to me which includes a study of trades/skills some slaves acquired. Of course Kamala is upset. Black Queer theory rejected. 

A relatively tiny percentage of slaves learned skills they might use in a trade once freed, if they were allowed to have a business. Of course even for those learning such skills over almost 250 years of slavery, most were never freed. But sure, Salty, doesn’t distort the view of slavery at all to highlight the tiny few! Moments like these you really reveal yourself, Salty. 

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

11 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

A relatively tiny percentage of slaves learned skills they might use in a trade once freed, if they were allowed to have a business. Of course even for those learning such skills over almost 250 years of slavery, most were never freed. But sure, Salty, doesn’t distort the view of slavery at all to highlight the tiny few! Moments like these you really reveal yourself, Salty. 

Just reading through the curriculum and that portion would have never jumped out at me “distorting history”. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

44 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Just reading through the curriculum and that portion would have never jumped out at me “distorting history”. 

I’m sure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

While i understand there’s absolutely no way to handle the study of slavery without setting some people off - trying to present a silver lining to it wasnt the brightest idea. Desantis needs to get out of the social wars and start looking like a grown up leader. He’s about to get steam rolled by a crazy guy. When you line up his impressive pedigree with his current trite fixations he looks like a total goober. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

I’m sure.

“Bright side” tongue in cheek meaning I thought they are simply teaching history. Looked to be a good mix but not like have a need to see a curriculum often so I am definitely no expert. I was long time resident of Florida and still visit frequently. Read most topics posted here on the great state. 

40 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

trying to present a silver lining to it wasnt the brightest idea.

Maybe DeSantis was trying to dispel a believe that people that are descendants of slaves do not always have to think of themselves as victims.  That there were slaves that rose up against unbelievable hardships to excel in a tough world.  You know, people you can look up to instead of lumping all slaves as helpless people not being able to fend for themselves.  Just a thought.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

No they don’t. 

People who genuinely care about truth care about context. Just ask such a person.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Son of A Tiger said:

Maybe but I never get a chance to talk to Biden or Hunter.

That’s a shame, because you’re strangely obsessed with Hunter. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

No they don’t. 

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

People who genuinely care about truth care about context. Just ask such a person.

I'm beginning to think Nola is more Roy Cohn than Atticus Finch. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm thinking about all those skills they learned. Like how to pick cotton, how to harvest beans and peas and squash and cucumbers. How to devein shrimp and filet fish for other people to eat. How to help a white woman bathe and get dressed. How to help a man get dressed. How to work in a kitchen. How to be a subjugated woman for white men to ****. How to be a concubine to spew out more child slaves. How to be a stud to inseminate female slaves. How to fight each other for the pleasure of the owners.

Yep, all those useful skills they learned. Along with how to endure being whipped and beaten, how to die by hanging. So many useful skills.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

Or Atticus from Go Tell a Watchman.

Gregory Peck is the only relevant depiction of Atticus Finch. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AURex said:

I'm thinking about all those skills they learned. Like how to pick cotton, how to harvest beans and peas and squash and cucumbers. How to devein shrimp and filet fish for other people to eat. How to help a white woman bathe and get dressed. How to help a man get dressed. How to work in a kitchen. How to be a subjugated woman for white men to ****. How to be a concubine to spew out more child slaves. How to be a stud to inseminate female slaves. How to fight each other for the pleasure of the owners.

Yep, all those useful skills they learned. Along with how to endure being whipped and beaten, how to die by hanging. So many useful skills.

Yes, we’ve always needed farmers, restaurant owners, chefs in the world.  The people that can see past the pain are the ones that succeed.  If you are such a victim, you can’t see past being a victim.

• Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

what the hell is fair about murder and rape? of selling someones kids to others? the truth is most whites in the south care more about losing some of the confederate monuments than they do the treatment of slaves and i will always believe that. and we need to quit changing history and learn from it. desantis can look on the bright side of my ass. it is a dirty shame to hide what these folks went through. we are not supposed to like it. we are supposed to learn from it and move on but to sugarcoat it is an insult. slaves were less than human. they were property. we should learn so this crap never happens again..................

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

20 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Perhaps we should actually read the standards:

https://www.fldoe.org/core/fileparse.php/20653/urlt/6-4.pdf

21 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

What is this "Black Queer" theory?

As usual, this is just another way DeSantis has chosen to pour gas on culture war politics.  The real victim of all of this will be the country itself.  Constantly dividing people is not leadership. Instead, it is a self serving style of politics that is irresponsible and shows a total lack of character.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

34 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I did.

IMG_7219.jpeg

This is the equivalent of claiming that many Jews learned valuable skills and met many friends while in concentration camps that they were able to use when they were released.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

This is the equivalent of claiming that many Jews learned valuable skills and met many friends while in concentration camps that they were able to use when they were released.

“Lifelong friendships were formed…”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1