7.12.23 Football Articles

aubiefifty

247sports.com

Roundtable Which games inspire the most confidence for Auburn in 2023

Nathan King
9–11 minutes

Auburn will be looking to at least get back to a bowl game in Year 1 under Freeze. Which games are the most likely candidates to help the Tigers do so?

Auburn has a light nonconference schedule this season relative to recent years, and obviously the same trio of SEC killers looming at the top. But how many wins can the Tigers snag from the in-between crowd?

Every team in the league has question marks entering 2023, but the landscape of the conference is particularly intriguing in the middle of the pack. Is LSU primed to win the division again if Alabama struggles at quarterback? Can Texas A&M surge back with all its talent? Is Arkansas ready to move back in the right direction despite losing a ton of production on defense? All those factors generate a number of matchups for Hugh Freeze and the Tigers that are difficult to project.

Facing the nation’s No. 5 strongest schedule, per ESPN FPI, Auburn will be looking to at least get back to a bowl game in Year 1 under Freeze. Which games are the most likely candidates to help the Tigers do so? On the latest edition of the Auburn Undercover Podcast, our Nathan King, Jason Caldwell and Christian Clemente ranked Auburn’s 2023 games on a point scale, 12-1, by confidence level. Included are some of their comments from the podcast, which you can download and listen to at the bottom of this story.

THE 'CUPCAKE' GAMES

SAMFORD (35 CONFIDENCE POINTS)

Jason (11 points)

Nathan (12 points)

Christian (12 points)

UMASS (34 CONFIDENCE POINTS)

Jason (12)

Nathan (11)

Christian (11)

NEW MEXICO STATE (30 CONFIDENCE POINTS)

Jason (10)

Nathan (10)

Christian (10)

AT VANDERBILT (27 CONFIDENCE POINTS)

Jason (9): “Auburn will have some time to have gotten some stuff together by then. From the Power Five group, this is the easiest game in my opinion.”

Nathan (9): “Where this game is positioned, Auburn could be in a position where it’s only got one SEC win if it’s only beaten Mississippi State and lost to LSU, Texas A&M, Georgia and Ole Miss. That makes that Vanderbilt game maybe have a little bit more juice.”

Christian (9): “They took some steps forward last year but it’s still Vanderbilt at the end of the day. It’s a road game, but that doesn’t matter when you’re going to Vanderbilt. I don’t have many concerns about Vanderbilt; I don’t know what their win total is this year, but Auburn’s not going to be one of those wins.”

AT CAL (23 CONFIDENCE POINTS)

11302346.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Darren Yamashita, USA TODAY Sports)

Jason (8): “It’s a long way, but I don’t think it’s going to be a hostile road environment at Cal.”

Nathan (8): “Cal is No. 17 in the transfer portal rankings; there’s a handful of good players coming in. But this is still a game where Auburn is the better team on paper."

Christian (7): “That game has potential to be a lot closer than Auburn fans think. Cal did a good job in the transfer portal, and the fact that it’s your Week 2 opponent, you’re going all the way to California. You’re going to have a lot to adjust to, and it’s going to be very different for Auburn. I still expect Auburn to win that game but there’s potential for it to be close throughout.”

VS. MISSISSIPPI STATE (22 CONFIDENCE POINTS)

Jason (7): “Mississippi State defensively is still going to be good. Zach Arnett is there, and they’ve had some pieces. It’s not an easy game, but if you look at Auburn’s schedule, it’s one you have to go win.

Nathan (7): “They’ve got one of the best quarterbacks in the league, but after the passing of Mike Leach, I don’t see it being a smooth transition for that offense. Zach Arnett is a good coach, though, so we’ll see. I have Mississippi State over Cal because of what Will Rogers has done the past two years to Auburn.”

Christian (8): “I don’t have very high expectations for this team this year. Unfortunately, given the circumstances there, I think it’s going to be a tough transition phase.”

VS. OLE MISS (17 CONFIDENCE POINTS)

Jason (6): “I’m not really sold on Ole Miss. They did everything they could to find another quarterback, and I guess Jaxson Dart wins by default. This could be a pressure game with two or three losses for Ole Miss already. As dysfunctional as everything was last year, Auburn still had a shot to win that game in Oxford last year.”

Nathan (6): “I like Ole Miss a lot this season, but this game in Jordan-Hare is going to be electric. You’ve got Hugh Freeze being at Ole Miss, he’ll be charged up for that game. The players will be charged up for that game. Then you have the bad taste that was left in Auburn fans’ mouths with the Lane Kiffin saga in the coaching search. You could feasibly see Auburn going into the Ole Miss game at home at 0-3 in the SEC, and that urgency will be risen. I think Ole Miss could be better than Texas A&M and Arkansas, but I like this setting for Auburn.”

Christian (5): “This one is going to mean a little bit more for Hugh Freeze, and his team is going to be extremely fired up. I have this one in Sharpie that Auburn is going to win that game.”

AT ARKANSAS (16 CONFIDENCE POINTS)

Jason (5): “That’s a place Auburn has played well. They haven’t lost there in quite a while — since they blew a big lead and lost in overtime in 2015.”

Nathan (5): “Auburn hasn’t lost in Fayetteville since 2015. This is another example of a series Auburn had won six straight in before last season. It took one of the worst seasons of the past couple decades for Arkansas to get a win in this series.”

Christian (6): “We’ve seen Sam Pittman do some solid things — he’s obviously turned the program around from what it was under Chad Morris — but have they taken the next step from that? KJ Jefferson has been pretty solid, but he hasn’t been the greatest quarterback in my eyes. And I don’t think that’s the most hostile road environment in the world to go into.”

AT TEXAS A&M (12 CONFIDENCE POINTS)

11848804.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,off(Jake Crandall / Syndication: Montgomery Advertiser, USA TODAY Sports)

Jason (4): “I have Texas A&M here strictly because of the talent on the roster. That’s really the only thing. That’s a defensive front that has a load of bodies; I think they’ll be really good defensively. They’re a more talented roster than the teams behind them, and it’s on the road.”

Nathan (4): “If there’s one thing Bobby Petrino can do, it’s run a good offense. Even if they’re not great, this is the SEC opener in Week 4. It’s a difficult place to play. With all those factors together, looking at where this is positioned on the schedule, this is a tough ask for Auburn. I’m not sold on A&M entirely but I do think there’s a really good chance they can turn it around this season.”

Christian (4): “Talent-wise, Texas A&M is better than Arkansas and Ole Miss. But as a team, I’d put them below. But this is the SEC opener. I could also very easily see Auburn win this game. We just don’t know what A&M is going to be this year.”

VS. ALABAMA (9 CONFIDENCE POINTS)

Jason (3): “Alabama comes to Jordan-Hare Stadium and Auburn has a chance to win. That’s it. There’s no better example than what we saw two years ago. There’s some questions I have about them, and the belief factor Auburn will have at home against Alabama separates them.”

Nathan (3): “Georgia has similar question marks at quarterback, but recent history says it’s just different in the Iron Bowl. Georgia has beaten Auburn to submission of late. Alabama still has a ton of talent, but I just think the quarterback questions have such a big ripple effect across the SEC.”

Christian (3): “As long as Auburn has somewhat of a pulse, Auburn has a chance in a home Iron Bowl; that’s just the way it is. Bryan Harsin and T.J. Finley almost won an Iron Bowl against Bryce Young. Because of the questions at quarterback and it being at home, I have Alabama at No. 3. I’m not saying it’s an easy game by any means, but we’ve seen some issues with Alabama over the past couple years.”

AT LSU (6 CONFIDENCE POINTS)

Jason (2): “They played LSU toe-to-toe last year. They’ll go in feeling like they can beat this team, no matter where it’s being played.”

Nathan (2): “LSU is in the same vein as Alabama of late in terms of mindset. I think LSU is awesome this year; I love what they did in the transfer portal. But as good of a coach as Brian Kelly is, it’s still Year 2. You can still have some issues. They were not a perfect team last year. Tennessee gutted them in Baton Rouge, and LSU lost to a really bad Texas A&M team. I do think they’ll be a national title contender, but could they lose a clunker at home to Auburn in Year 2? Absolutely.”

Christian (2): “The only thing that gives me a bit of confidence that Auburn can be competitive in this game is that Auburn had a lot of chances to win that LSU game last year. That was at home, and Jayden Daniels started to improve after that game. You can see a path for Auburn to win here.”

VS. GEORGIA (3 CONFIDENCE POINTS)

11366903.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Joshua L. Jones, USA TODAY Sports)

Jason (1): “It’s just a difference in mindset. Georgia is a big hurdle right now for Auburn — mentally and physically. I don’t know that this roster is quite ready for that yet.”

Nathan (1): “Even though Georgia is coming into Jordan-Hare, they’ve done that over the past few years, and Auburn has had nothing on offense. A win over LSU is a lot more feasible than an established Kirby Smart team losing to an Auburn team with a new coach.”

Christian (1): “Georgia is a stacked team. If Carson Beck is even half decent, they have all the pieces around to win."

si.com

Jayson Jones thinks the offensive line will take a massive step forward in 2023

Andrew Stefaniak
2–3 minutes

Jayson Jones believes the offensive line will be much improved this season.

It's no secret offensive line play was a struggle for Auburn last season, leading to the offense not flowing well. 

Coach Hugh Freeze picked up a handful of talented offensive linemen via the transfer portal, which should help improve this unit in 2023. 

Auburn defensive lineman Jayson Jones joined the Locked On Auburn Podcast and was asked by host Zac Balckerby about the new and improved offensive line. 

Here is what Jones had to say about the unit, "I've said in previous interviews this offensive line is strong. They play with technique, so you can't just be going out there and doing whatever you want. You have to do your assignment; you have to do your technique so you won't get blown off the ball. These guys play so well together, opposing to last year. I'm excited to see what they are going to do this season. I'm ready to see it."  

This is high praise coming from someone who goes up against this offensive line on a day-to-day basis in practice. 

It's starting to seem like the years of offensive line struggles at Auburn might be behind us under Coach Freeze. 

si.com

Auburn commit Bryce Cain earns 4th star

Zac Blackerby
~3 minutes

On3 has given Auburn wide receiver commit Bryce Cain a 4th star.

It was only a matter of time.

Bryce Cain's name has exploded in recruiting circles over the past several months and was one of the biggest risers in On3's rankings updates. He is now a four-star.

Auburn Daily reached out to Cain for comment.

“I’m very blessed to receive my 4th star, and it all starts with the glory of God , but I’m still going to have to work hard to keep progressing up. Can’t get your mindset caught up in the clout. All gas no brakes!!! War Eagle!"  

After committing to Auburn on June 13th, Cain has become one of the more exciting players in the class due to his explosive play and ability to stretch the field.

On3 is the first of the recruiting services to award Cain with that 4th star but the others are expected to do so in time as they update player rankings over the course of the summer.

Rivals recruiting expert John Garcia shared in a message board post at the time of Auburn landing his commitment, that his tape hasn't been studied yet and he would rise in due time.

He rose to the 187th player in On3's rankings after being unranked according to the graphic released by On3 below.

The Baker High School standout is a five-foot-eleven, 170-pound wideout that possesses all the skills needed to be an elite wide receiver.

He has a 40-yard dash time in the 4.4 range but also is an elite route runner and wins 50/50 balls.

auburnwire.usatoday.com

How much will it cost to attend an Auburn football game this season?

Taylor Jones
6–8 minutes

After experiencing a few grim moments over the last two seasons, Auburn fans are excited to return to Jordan-Hare Stadium to cheer on their favorite team.

Fans are so excited, in fact, that Auburn has officially sold out of available season tickets ahead of the 2023 season. Auburn announced last week that it has sold 63,500 tickets, which broke the record of 62,900 sold prior to the 2014 season. The number does not include student tickets.

Buy Tigers Tickets

“Our season ticket sellout is a tribute to the Auburn family and is indicative of their passion, excitement, and dedication – that is Auburn Being Auburn,” said Auburn athletic director John Cohen in a press release. “Coach (Hugh) Freeze and his staff have done a tremendous job in a short time with spring practice and all phases of recruiting.”

Since the announcement of the sell-out, fans who were not lucky enough to secure season tickets are looking for ways to find tickets to watch the Tigers play this season. If you are one of those people, TicketSmarter is a great place to begin your search.

TicketSmarter, a ticket resell site that offers a 100% guarantee on all tickets sold, has many affordable tickets available to every home game this season within all areas of Jordan-Hare Stadium. For those looking to watch Auburn play on the road this season, TicketSmarter also features inexpensive options so that you have more money to spend on hotels and other travel expenses.

Here’s a look at how much it will cost to purchase a ticket to every Auburn game this season, home and away, compliments of TicketSmarter.

USATSI_8817819.jpg

Bob DeChiara-USA TODAY Sports

• Lowest price: $13
  • Highest price: $5,240

Tickets to the season opener are relatively easy to find. As of the timing of this post, there are plenty of affordable tickets in the upper deck, with the lowest price for a lower-bowl seat costing just $19 each.

USATSI_11682312.jpg

James Snook-USA TODAY Sports

• Lowest price: $65
  • Highest price: $247

Prices for this game are comparable to the average ticket price for any SEC game, excluding Alabama and Georgia. The only issue with this game is finding a way to Strawberry Canyon. If you can find a plane ticket and a hotel, tickets to the game should be an easy find.

USATSI_8075796.jpg

Jerome Miron-USA TODAY Sports

• Lowest price: $11
  • Highest price: $5,240

If you are looking to bring several family members or a small child to an Auburn game this season, here’s another opportunity for you. Plenty of affordable tickets are available in the upper deck, with the cheapest lower-level seat going for $26.

USATSI_16749075.jpg

Maria Lysaker-USA TODAY Sports

• Lowest price: $74
  • Highest price: $7,151

The conference opener against Texas A&M is sure to be a fun one. Tickets, for the most part, are average for an SEC game. Tickets to this game have the chance to surge if both teams come into this game unbeaten. So, if you are wanting to see a game at Kyle Field, you better act on buying tickets now.

USATSI_17485945.jpg

Trevor Ruszkowski-USA TODAY Sports

• Lowest price: $148
  • Highest price: $1,474

These prices are expected, as the Deep South’s Oldest Rivalry always brings in a heavy crowd for both programs. If you plan to attend this game, the best value will be to find a seat in the upper deck. The lowest price for a lower-bowl seat begins at $206. If you want to impress your friends with a seat in a luxury box, expect to play no less than $1,406 per ticket.

USATSI_11422755.jpg

Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports

• Lowest price: $86
  • Highest price: $1,462

Like the Texas A&M game, now would be the best time to buy tickets to the LSU game in Baton Rouge. Finding a ticket to this game for less than $100 is usually a rare find, and will be the case early on. There are only 67 tickets available for under $100, so checking out the annual Auburn-LSU game for an affordable price will only be an option for a limited time.

USATSI_13507943.jpg

Denny Medley-USA TODAY Sports

• Lowest price: $69
  • Highest price: $1,850

The Tigers return home after nearly a month away from Jordan-Hare to face the Ole Miss Rebels in what will be an interesting meeting between Lane Kiffin and Hugh Freeze. Considering the average price for an SEC game, this game features several affordable options under $100, including a few in the lower bowl.

USATSI_19054628.jpg

Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

• Lowest price: $40
  • Highest price: $5,566

If you want to see Auburn face an SEC opponent this season, the Mississippi State game will be your best bet. This game is Auburn’s most affordable SEC game, home or away, to attend this season, with a low price of $40. The cheapest lower-level ticket is currently $55, and seats in the club level begin at $675.

USATSI_18982629.jpg

Christopher Hanewinckel-USA TODAY Sports

• Lowest price: $73
  • Highest price: $1,003

FirstBank Stadium in Nashville has a capacity of just 39,790, and hosting an opponent with a fan base such as Auburn’s means that tickets will always be in high demand. It may be a “buy now” situation if you plan to make the trip to Vanderbilt in November.

USATSI_19417949.jpg

Nelson Chenault-USA TODAY Sports

• Lowest price: $48
  • Highest price: $950

Here is another affordable option if you plan to take a road trip this season. Every ticket available is less than $1,000, and the cheapest lower-level seat is $116.

USATSI_13304979.jpg

James Snook-USA TODAY Sports

• Lowest price: $10
  • Highest price: $5,374

The appetizer game before the Iron Bowl entree is another great way to buy multiple tickets for an affordable price. This is the cheapest game of the season, as prices begin at $10 for upper-deck seats and $18 for lower-level spots. Even club tickets are heavily discounted, as the cheapest ticket for a seat in the Nelson Club is $374.

USATSI_18716633.jpg

Dale Zanine-USA TODAY Sports

• Lowest price: $216
  • Highest price: $5,489

Just one week after hosting the cheapest game of the season, Jordan-Hare Stadium will turn around to host the most expensive game of the season. The Iron Bowl is always a hot ticket, as the entire state turns its attention to the annual battle between Auburn and Alabama. Club seats will set you back at least $1,744, and lower-level seats start at $300.

1242924554-1.jpg

Michael Chang/Getty Images

• Lowest price: $726
  • Highest price: $6,165

Season tickets through the university are officially sold out, but you still have the option to buy season tickets through TicketSmarter. Seats in the lower bowl for all seven of Auburn’s home games begin at $726. If a season ticket in the Nelson Club is more of your style, you can own a ticket for just $6,165, or 879.43 per game.

247sports.com

Top Auburn DB target down to three announcing Saturday

Jason Caldwell
3–4 minutes

Auburn is one of the final three for DB Jalyn Crawford.

One of the top targets on Auburn’s board, 4-star defensive back Jalyn Crawford from Parkview High in Lilburn, Georgia, announced his top three schools on Monday along with his plans to commit on July 15.

The lucky three to make the cut for Crawford were Auburn, Florida and LSU, three schools that have been constants on his recruiting lists for much of the past year.

Ranked as the No. 159 prospect nationally, Crawford officially visited all three of his favorites in June and now is ready to make his choice.

Building a strong bond with Hugh Freeze, Wesley McGriff and Zac Etheridge, Crawford said his most recent visit went well because of how the relationship continues to grow with Auburn.

“I got to talk to all of the coaches and just really chill with them,” Crawford said. “Talking to coach Freeze, it was a click right then and there. It was ultimately a great experience."

Crawford will announce at 3:30 p.m. eastern time on Saturday.

247Sports analysis from Andrew Ivins:

An aggressive cover corner that has held his own in Georgia’s highest-classification. Measured 6-foot, 180 pounds in Winter of 2023 and is believed to have an additional inch or two in his arms. Versed in both man and off-man coverage. Also owns valuable two-way snaps having doubled as a wide receiver on Friday nights. Does a nice job of maintaining phase by mirroring with his hips and trying to steer his assignment towards the sidelines. Quick to break on the ball and has proven to be uber competitive at the catch point, having totaled plenty of PBUs and a trio of interceptions as an 11th grader. Rather spirited as an open-field tackler, which suggests that he might be best suited for more of a boundary role on Saturdays. Could probably patrol the inside, as well. Lack of verified speed markers or a track background not ideal, but did clock a hand-timed 4.6 in the 40-yard dash as a youngster. Pretty advanced from a technical standpoint, but could draw his fair share of penalties as he isn’t afraid to grab some jersey. Should be viewed as a potential starter at the Power Five level given frame and early body of work. Likely going to need some seasoning before he’s ready to go, but has what it takes to eventually emerge as an impact player.

wideopenfootball.com

Hugh Freeze’s Challenge to Resurrect Auburn Football

Author: WOF
4–5 minutes

img_9231.jpg?w=816

Auburn coach Hugh Freeze faces a daunting task as he aims to pull the program out of its recent struggles. With a troubled past of his own, Freeze has taken on the challenge of changing the culture at Auburn and restoring its winning ways. Auburn’s decision to hire Freeze as their new coach raised eyebrows due to his troubled past. He faced NCAA recruiting violations and a scandal involving calls to an escort service during his time at Ole Miss, which led to his resignation in 2017. Furthermore, while coaching at Liberty in 2022, Freeze engaged in controversy when he used Twitter to send direct messages to a sexual assault survivor who had sued the university for mishandling her case.

Freeze acknowledged that he had tried to fight the public backlash stemming from the Ole Miss violations but realized that it only worsened the situation.

“I couldn’t fight it because I created it.”

Hugh Freeze on his Response to the Ole Miss Violations

Freeze passionately addressed the team and staff in a team meeting room this spring, emphasizing the opportunity that lies ahead. He pointed out that Auburn is one of the five schools that have played for two national championships in the past 12 years. However, Freeze acknowledged the need for a culture change and owned the responsibility of leading the team in a new direction.

“Five! And you sit in a team meeting room of one of those five schools. So some have come before you that had vision. Coaches have gone before me that have vision. Coaches and players have proven that this program can have a vision and accomplish something special. And it can be done again, but it’s going to take a culture change from what it’s been.”

Hugh Freeze on What Can Bring Auburn Back to the Forefront of College Football

Auburn’s recent coaching turmoil, with Bryan Harsin’s short tenure and back-to-back losing seasons, led to Freeze’s hiring. While the decision to bring in Freeze despite his troubled past has divided opinions and some question his return to high-level collegiate coaching, others are confident and hope for change and redemption at Auburn. As Freeze embarks on his Auburn journey, he understands the challenge ahead. Coaching at Auburn comes with immense pressure, scrutiny from passionate fans and boosters, and the shadow of Alabama and Georgia’s dominance. Freeze aims to rebuild Auburn’s program and restore its winning tradition, and he knows what it will take to do that.

“When you take a job like this, you have to get in who really matters. The boosters do matter, but I can’t be swayed or distracted by their opinions or their expectations. I have to stay within the walls of this building.”

Hugh Freeze on his Priorities as Head Coach

The road to success won’t be easy. Auburn has faced talent evaluation and retention issues in recent years, with recruiting struggles and an underperforming passing game. Freeze recognizes the need for improvement and plans to address these areas through strategic recruiting and offensive changes. Auburn signed only five ESPN 300 recruits in its 2022 class. By comparison Alabama brought in 19 in the same class, Georgia added 16, and Texas A&M topped them all with 24. Defensively, Auburn has been especially lackluster and has fell short of the elite level needed to compete in the SEC. Freeze has brought in Ron Roberts, an experienced defensive coordinator, to transform Auburn’s defense and elevate its performance.

img_9235.jpg?w=1024

Despite the challenges, Freeze is optimistic about the players on the roster and the potential for improvement. He emphasizes the importance of incremental progress and recognizes that time will be needed to rebuild the program. Freeze’s controversial past serves as a reminder of his own growth and provides lessons for his team. He uses his experiences to guide and motivate players, showcasing both his mistakes and successes.

As Freeze leads Auburn, he aims to prove himself and restore the program’s status as a powerhouse in college football. The journey won’t be without obstacles, but Freeze welcomes the challenge and hopes to bring Auburn back to national prominence.