7.5.23 Football Articles

aubiefifty

si.com

Offensive fireworks: The longest play from each of the past 10 seasons of Auburn football

Lance Dawe

~3 minutes

Happy Fourth of July, everyone.

The Tigers have had their fair share of fireworks over the past decade. Let's take a look back at the longest offensive plays from the last 10 seasons of Auburn football.

2022 - Jarquez Hunter 62-yard TD reception (at Georgia)

A season full of disappointment was also a season lacking massive plays... Hunter's impressive 62-yard score against the Bulldogs was the longest play Auburn had all season long.

2021 - Jarquez Hunter 94-yard TD run (vs Alabama State)

Hunter's dash to the endzone is the longest run in Auburn football history.

2020 - Anthony Schwartz 91-yard TD reception (vs LSU)

Nix's toss to Schwartz was the icing on the cake of a blowout in the Tiger bowl.

2019 - Harold Joiner 78-yard reception (vs Ole Miss)

Who would have thought that Auburn's longest offensive play in 2019 would be in a game where they only scored 20 points?

2018 - Anthony Schwartz 76-yard touchdown reception (vs Tennessee)

It was a bad day overall for the Tigers, but Schwartz's speed is still extremely impressive.

2017 - Ryan Davis 75-yard TD reception (vs Ole Miss)

Auburn's blowout victory over the Rebels was largely due in part to a strong first half - one that included their longest play of the season.

2016 - John Franklin III 80-yard TD run (vs ULM)

One of Franklin's handful of explosive runs during his time with the Tigers.

2015 - Jason Smith 77-yard TD reception (vs Alabama)

Shades of Ricardo Louis.

2014 - Ricardo Louis 75-yard TD rush (vs South Carolina)

Auburn's defense was nowhere to be found on this day... but Ricardo Louis found the endzone on this sweep.

2013 - Sammie Coates 88-yard TD reception (at Arkansas)

One of Auburn's better crowd silencers of the last decade... a third down bomb to Coates had Hog fans silent.

Edited by aubiefifty
  • Thanks 1

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Auburn Tigers Snapshot Profile: No. 13 Rivaldo Fairweather

JD McCarthy
~3 minutes

Going into the 2023 football season, Auburn Wire will be looking at each scholarship player listed on the Tigers’ roster.

Over the preseason, each profile will cover where the player is from, how recruiting websites rated them coming out of high school, and what role they will play for Hugh Freeze in his first season on the Plains.

Buy Tigers Tickets

Up next is transfer tight end Rivaldo Fairweather. He was Auburn’s first transfer addition of the offseason and brings some needed playmaking ability to the tight end position.

Preseason Player Profile

Hometown: Lauderhill, Florida

Height: 6-4

Weight: 251

Previous School: FIU

Class in 2023: Junior

247Sports Composite Ranking

Three-Star / No. 348 in Florida / No. 119 TE

Career Stats

Year G Receptions Yards YPC YPG TDs
2020 (FIU) 3 10 165 16.5 55.0 1
2021 (FIU) 7 16 247 15.4 35.3 1
2022 (FIU) 12 28 426 15.2 35.5 3

PFF Grades

Year Offense Receiving Pass Blocking Run Blocking
2020 85.7 90.8 69.7 63.4
2021 52.8 60.4 55.2 38.6
2022 61.9 67.9 55.2 44.3

Depth Chart Overview

Auburn returns veterans luke deal and tyler fromm at tight end but Fairweather is a different kind of player. He was a big play machine for FIU, averaging 15.5 yards per catch, and figures to become a weapon in Auburn’s revamped passing attack.

He has the athleticism to line up wide and should be a focal point in the passing attack as he is a mismatch due to his 6-foot-4 and 251-pound frame. Fairweather should win the starting job in a deep and talented tight end room and should see a heavy dose of targets from quarterback Payton Thorne.

Rivaldo Fairweather’s Photo Gallery

20230322_FB_SpringPractice_Fairweather13

AUBURN, AL - 2023.03.22 - Spring Practice

AUBURN, AL - March 22, 2023 - Auburn Tight End Rivaldo Fairweather (#13) during spring practice…

AUBURN, AL - March 22, 2023 - Auburn Tight End Rivaldo Fairweather (#13) during spring practice at the Woltosz Football Performance Center in Auburn, AL. Photo by Austin Perryman

20230227_FB_SpringPractice_Fairweather13

AUBURN, AL - 2023.02.27 - Spring Practice

AUBURN, AL - February 27, 2023 - Auburn Tight End Rivaldo Fairweather (#13) during spring practice…

AUBURN, AL - February 27, 2023 - Auburn Tight End Rivaldo Fairweather (#13) during spring practice at the Woltosz Football Performance Center in Auburn, AL. Photo by Austin Perryman

• Thanks 1

si.com

Five 'Season-Defining' Games For Ole Miss Rebels in 2023

John Macon Gillespie

4–5 minutes

It is well-documented that the Ole Miss Rebels' 2023 football schedule is among the most difficult in the country.

Road trips to Tuscaloosa, Auburn and Athens pave a difficult road for Ole Miss this season, not to mention a road trip to Starkville and home dates with other SEC West opponents. While games against Alabama and Georgia could prove to be "house money" opportunities for the Rebels, this list examines "season-defining" games for Lane Kiffin's team this season.

What does that mean, exactly?

In short, these are games that could be perceived as toss-ups, or games where a win or loss would drastically change the overall perception of the season in Oxford. While a win over the Crimson Tide or Georgia Bulldogs would certainly fall in that category, a loss to one or both of these programs on the road won't really change how fans view the season as a whole.

As usual, this is an exercise in opinion, so my list will likely be different from anyone else's. Still, here are the five games I have circled for Ole Miss this season.

1. Road game at Tulane Green Wave

Part of Ole Miss' difficult draw in this season's schedule is not limited to the SEC. Tulane is the reigning Cotton Bowl champion, having knocked off Heisman winner Caleb Williams in that thriller. Even though Tulane is certainly a strong Group of Five team, a loss on the road to the Green Wave would put a sour taste in the mouth of the fan base before the season hits its stride. Make no mistake: this is an important one.

2. Home game vs. LSU Tigers

Last season's Magnolia Bowl turned into a disaster for the Rebels, their first loss in a late-season collapse that soured the 2022 campaign. A home win over LSU would go a long way in ensuring that this season is viewed as a success, especially with how talented the Bayou Bengals promise to be.

3. Home game vs. Arkansas Razorbacks

Another game in the midst of the Rebels' late-season collapse was a blowout loss at Arkansas. Some may blame this loss on the distraction surrounding Lane Kiffin's possible departure for the Auburn Tigers in the offseason, but regardless, this has become an important game for Ole Miss fans over the years thanks to some thrilling (and oftentimes strange) matchups. Shutting down K.J. Jefferson will be paramount here.

4. Road game vs. Auburn Tigers

Speaking of Auburn, since Lane Kiffin did not take the job on The Plains, a familiar face is now in that town, namely former Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze. Rest assured that this game will have plenty of storylines in the week leading up to the meeting, and this one could have some personal stakes on the line for both coaches. Freeze will surely want to top his former school, and Kiffin may want to prove that he made the right decision in staying in Oxford. It's just one game, but emotions go a long way.

5. Road game vs. Mississippi State Bulldogs

Lane Kiffin has only lost one meeting in the Egg Bowl, but in Mississippi, it's important for that not to become a habit. The tragedy of Mike Leach's passing this offseason has placed Zach Arnett as the Bulldogs' head coach, so this will be the first meeting between these two as program CEOs. With this being the final game of the regular season, it'll be important for Kiffin to secure a win in Starkville.

You can follow John Macon on Twitter at @JMakeGillespie.

Want the latest in breaking news and insider information on the Rebels? Click Here.

Follow The Grove Report On Facebook and Twitter.

Want even more Ole Miss Rebels News? Check out the SI.com team page here.

• Like 1

247sports.com

LB DJ Barber celebrates 4th of July with commitment to Auburn

Christian Clemente
~4 minutes

Fireworks are going off in Clay-Chalkville and Auburn linebackers coach Josh Aldridge's office.

In-state linebacker D'Angelo 'DJ' Barber announced his commitment to Auburn on Tuesday to celebrate the holiday, choosing the Tigers over Arkansas and Ole Miss. He becomes commitment No. 9 for Auburn in the 2024 cycle.

Ranked in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite as the No. 492 player, No. 45 linebacker and No. 25 player from Alabama, Auburn's first-year staff offered him back at the big Junior Day in January and quickly cultivated the relationship. Something that helped Barber land on Auburn when it was all said and done.

"It was just the overall home feeling and the family feeling from the jump," Barber told Auburn Undercover about his choice. "Because when I first got offered — you know in the process of recruiting you get offered by people and depending on how much they want you or not sometimes it be kind of relaxed with the recruiting — or you know, we offered him because we like him, but we don’t know if we really want him. But from the jump when they offered me, me and Coach Aldridge, we quickly started to build a relationship. We started texting every day, hop on the phone and not even talking about football, just talking and building a real, genuine relationship."

Listed at 6-foot and 221 pounds, Barber returned to Auburn a couple of times in the spring and again over the summer with his team for the 7-on-7 camp.

He took official visits to Arkansas and Georgia Tech, but nothing could beat Auburn in the end.

"Over time, it just grew larger and larger. It went from me talking to Coach Aldridge every day to me talking to Coach Aldridge, me talking to TReed (Trovon Reed), me talking to the recruiting girls and some of the other coaches, talking to Coach Roberts a few times," Barber said. "It just grew and it quickly started making me realize this is a genuine, real relationship, family atmosphere."

Now that Barber is on Auburn's commit list, he plans to attend Big Cat Weekend on July 29 and put on his recruiting hat. With Auburn not signing a high school linebacker in the 2023 cycle, there's a plan to take three or even four linebackers in 2024.

Barber knows that and has his focus set on one big name, who plans to make a "final decision" between Auburn, Alabama and Georgia on July 26.

"Yeah, yeah it’s time for me. Probably No. 1, I’m going to try and help them lock in Demarcus Riddick," Barber said. "I’m going to help them try to get him. And then I’m going to try to get my teammate Mario (Craver) down there."

The idea of landing Riddick along with the heavy pursuit of Bradley Shaw and Wyatt Simmons excites Barber.

"I think it’ll be good," Barber said. "I know Demarcus Riddick, we played on the same 7-on-7 team before so I’m used to playing with him. Bradley Shaw, I don’t know him as personally as I know Demarcus Riddick, but me and Bradley Shaw we bumped heads a few games back in middle school, I played him a few times back in middle school so I’m familiar with him."

Barber's message to the fans on the holiday?

"I’d say first off, War Eagle," Barber said. "And then, I’d just let them know that you’re getting me and you’re getting somebody that’s coming to work every day. Not getting complacent about anything and willing to do whatever it takes to better the team, better the Auburn culture and hopefully bring a national championship in these next few years."

• Love 1

si.com

Lighting the fuse: Five numbers Auburn needs to focus on to win more games in 2023

Lance Dawe
8–9 minutes

Ten years ago, Bill Connelly boiled down college football to five basic factors that strongly influenced the difference between winning and losing games.

Those five factors are explosiveness, efficiency, drive-finishing, field position, and turnover battle.

Per Connelly's 2013 breakdown: 

If you win the explosiveness battle (using PPP), you win 86 percent of the time.

If you win the efficiency battle (using Success Rate), you win 83 percent of the time.

If you win the drive-finishing battle (using points per trip inside the 40), you win 75 percent of the time.

If you win the field position battle (using average starting field position), you win 72 percent of the time.

If you win the turnover battle (using turnover margin), you win 73 percent of the time.

Auburn was not very good at any of these things in 2022, leading to the Tigers' first losing season since 2012.

Let's take a look at the impact these five factors made on Auburn's 5-7 campaign and how the Tigers can best improve in each area.

Explosiveness

Often times it felt like it was boom or bust for Auburn's offense in 2022, considering the Tigers' poor offensive line play forced them into long-yardage situations far more often than they should have been.

According to SEC Stat Cat, this is how Auburn's plays shook out based on yards gained:

Negative yards: 9.59% (11th in the SEC)

0-3 yards: 18.48% (11th in the SEC)

4-7 yards: 17.20% (13th in the SEC)

7-10 yards: 8.10% (13th in the SEC)

10-15 yards: 8.24% (13th in the SEC)

15+ yards: 13.72 (3rd in the SEC)

It was quite literally all or nothing.

Auburn ranked 57th or better in plays of 20+, 30+, 40+ and 50+ yards but 74th in plays of 10+.

It's almost funny how the Tigers managed to create a fair amount of chunk plays from a dead offense while having a 62-yard screen pass become their longest play of the season - the shortest of Auburn's longest play from every season since 2013.

The takeaway here? Establish a line of scrimmage and even more explosive plays could be on the horizon. Given the stature of Auburn's receiver room and a new quarterback who loves giving players a chance downfield, additional long plays may be in store for the Tigers.

Efficiency

Anything but efficient. That's what Auburn was in 2022.

There was no consistency from drive to drive for Auburn. It was all out of sorts, and it led to the majority of possessions feeling like they were full of desperation. As if if something didn't happen now, it was all going to snowball out of control shortly.

Most of the time it did thanks to turnovers and lack of cohesion. The Tigers finished ninth in the conference in success rate and last in the league in scramble percentage (8.73%). Ashford bailed from the pocket far too often either in search of an explosive play or because the line simply couldn't hold up.

Even with the Tigers hitting some bombs every now and then, the overall product was horrendous. 92nd nationally is where Auburn fell in points per play margin, averaging -0.08 points every time the ball was snapped compared to the opposition.

Not having an established line of scrimmage has prevented Auburn from producing efficient offense for years now.

With the way Freeze has recruited o-line for this upcoming season there's an expectation that Jake Thornton will be able to dramatically change some of the Tigers' numbers.

Drive-finishing

The Tigers' issue wasn't finishing drives. Auburn was top 40 in the nation in redzone scoring percentage. What killed them was not being able to start drives.

Auburn was last in the SEC in first downs per drive (1.12), early down conversion rate (62.3%) and plays per drive (4.32).

Auburn was 107th nationally in stuff rate (percentage of carries by running backs that are stopped at or before the line of scrimmage) in 2022, per Football Outsiders. Not getting things off the ground on early downs lead to struggles on passing downs.

Again, this goes back to scheme and offensive line play. Auburn switched to a run-heavy scheme in 2022 because they had no one to throw the ball accurately on roster. The line couldn't get a consistent push until late in the season and thus Ashford and the offense found themselves getting stuffed at the line of scrimmage way too often.

Someone who watched Auburn's o-line woes a season ago could land a pretty good guess as to how often Robby Ashford and TJ Finley were sacked when they dropped back in passing situations considering how predictable the offense felt at times. The Tigers' 12.7% sack rate on passing downs was good for 121st in the nation.

The only Power Five teams underneath Auburn were Syracuse, Washington State, Maryland, and Boston College.

This is arguably the most important factor outside of turnover margin for the Tigers in 2023, and it comes with a simple solution: Be better on first down.

Field position

The Tigers actually had a top-five average starting field position in the SEC (31.87) largely due in part to punter Oscar Chapman, who helped the Tigers' defense out by putting them in in good spots - when Auburn made stops, their offense had room to work with. They just consistently failed to put anything together on first and second down.

Auburn was 21st nationally in opponent yards per punt return at 4.2 yards. Chapman himself had the lowest return rate in the SEC, per Nathan King of 247Sports.

I want to emphasize that while Auburn didn't have all of the margin in the world, their coaching really held them back from taking advantage of their field position. There was a lack of creativity and a lack of execution when new things were tried.

I don't think Auburn's talent roster is as dire as some may make it out to be considering the Tigers are still alongside the top teams in the country in the blue chip ratio. Lack of sound coaching and poor play calling was what sunk Auburn when they had opportunities with shorter fields.

Take a look at these numbers from BCF Toys:

Offensive points per drive: 1.77 (93rd nationally)

Points per drive from long starting field position: 0.77 (110th nationally)

Points per drive from middle starting field position: 1.81 (81st nationally)

Points per drive from short starting field position: 2.61 (108th nationally)

These numbers played a major part in Auburn's net points per drive being a pitiful -0.58 points.

One would think that Hugh Freeze and Philip Montgomery, known for their strong offensive minds, would be able to put together a much better product to pair with the Tigers' solid special teams.

Sometimes Auburn would shoot themselves in the foot even when they got the ball moving...

Turnover battle

That leads us to the turnover battle, possibly one of the most painful statistics to come out of Auburn football this century.

The Tigers were absolutely thrashed in turnover margin last season, finishing -9 in the department and 122nd nationally. Only gaining 13 turnovers was one thing. Averaging 1.8 of your own per game was another.

Auburn's roster is fine. It's not talent that's going to kill Auburn in the turnover department this year. At the end of the day it will be coaching and execution.

Ron Roberts was brought in to primarily do two things: help Auburn stop the run and create turnovers. If he can do that and Philip Montgomery can pilot a relatively clean ship, the Tigers have a chance to really turn things around.

Related stories

• Thanks 1

247sports.com

Most Valuable Tigers No 15

Nathan King
5–6 minutes

We're still in the heart of the college football offseason: three months removed from spring practice, media day later this month, and more than two months until the start of the 2023 season, Auburn’s first under Hugh Freeze.

So what better time to crank up the rankings? As we do annually this time of year, Auburn Undercover is counting down the top 25 most valuable players for the Tigers' 2023 season.

A few notes to set the table: These rankings are based on a player's previous contributions to the team, as well as his assumed impact in 2023 — how important he is expected to be to Auburn's success in both production and the win-loss column.

It is not simply Auburn's best players in descending order. If a freshman is included on the list, his positioning is obviously a projection of his talent and significance to his respective position group.

Next up is No. 15: fifth-year senior receiver Ja'Varrius Johnson.

AS A RECRUIT

Hometown: Trussville, Alabama

Class: 2019

247Sports ranking: No. 43 WR, No. 364 nationally (3-star)

247Sports high school scouting report: "Short, thin build. Measured under 5-foot-9 and has a wiry frame. Should add some weight at the next level but will likely always be on the light side. Tests well from an athletic standpoint with very good long speed and explosion. Had a dominant senior season after transferring to a new high school. Was the best skill player on a loaded offense. Posted record-breaking numbers as a receiver. Shows excellent playing speed with game-breaking ability. Dangerous both as a deep threat and in the screen game. Creates separation off the line, oftentimes blowing past opposing corners. Shows good downfield tracking skills. Also has an ideal skill set as a kick returner. Likely a slot wide receiver at the next level, but could line up outside as a Z receiver in certain schemes. Can tend to catch the ball with his body at times and is limited from a size aspect. Projects as a multi-year Power 5 starter with potential to be an NFL Draft pick, largely hinging on his usage and development at the next level."

AS A PLAYER

11323038.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Greg McWilliams, 247Sports)

Injuries had been a factor for Johnson until last season, when he had the best — and healthiest — year of his career.

The in-state native didn’t record a stat until 2021, when he tallied 19 receptions for 274 yards — good for fifth on the team — and three touchdowns from scrimmage. Once healed from an ankle issue in the early season, Johnson was able to show his explosion at the slot position; his 15.9 yards per touch was the highest mark on the team. Johnson's three touchdowns on the season were from 34, 39 and 57 yards.

The speedy Johnson stayed healthy and became Auburn’s leading receiver last season, with 493 yards and three touchdowns. Once again, his 16.8 yards per touch was the top mark on Auburn’s offense.

2023 OUTLOOK

In spring practice, Johnson was reunited with new position coach Marcus Davis, who helped recruit him back when Davis was an analyst with the Tigers. Johnson was praised by Freeze as being one of Auburn’s most consistent members of the receiving corps.

Johnson is easily Auburn’s most experienced slot receiver on the roster — and his top competitor in practice, Tar'Varish Dawson, transferred after the spring.

Even as Auburn has brought in four transfer wideouts, there’s little doubt Johnson has cemented a starting role for his fifth year with the program, and Freeze’s offensive staff will work to utilize his explosive skill set at 5-foot-10 and 167 pounds. When healthy, Johnson has continued to show promise as a reliable playmaker in the passing game, and he’ll be looking to turn in the best season of his career in the Tigers’ new scheme.

WHAT THEY SAID

“When Ja'Varrius was getting recruited, I was here the first time. I'm glad to be able to work with him now. He's been great so far.” — Davis

• Thanks 1

I hope you folks still have all your fingers and toes................

• aubiefifty changed the title to 7.5.23 Football Articles

there is a zac preseason look but no coach freeze. apologies.......

Top 5: Most improved

Alston is poised for a breakout season this fall. (Austin Perryman/Auburn athletics)

AUBURN | With a new coaching staff and 40 newcomers, there’s a lot of unknowns going into the 2023 season.

Below is a look at Auburn's top five most improved players, which includes several key players on the line of scrimmage.

5. OL JEREMIAH WRIGHT

Wright went through most of spring with a non-contact jersey as he recovered from an injury, but impressed enough to start the A-Day game at guard. He’ll be right in the middle of a five-man competition for one of two starting guard spots during fall camp. Finally settling in on the offensive line after also playing defensive tackle, this is a big season for Wright to step up and win a starting job. He’s one of AU’s most physical players regardless of position.

4. OL GUNNER BRITTON

Underrated is probably not the right word to describe Britton, but it's fair to say he exceeded expectations by stepping in this spring and winning the right tackle job right away and performing at a high level. Britton did a lot of pass blocking at Western Kentucky last season but showed he was a plenty capable run blocker too. The 6-foot-6, 312-pound Britton should be a good player for AU this fall.

3. DL JAYSON JONES

Auburn brought in Justin Rogers to potentially beat out Jones at noseguard, but Rogers spent a good bit of spring at defensive tackle while Jones worked with the first-team at nose. Jones certainly looked an improved player on the field this spring but it’s his leadership of an inexperienced defensive line that really stood out. In his second season after transferring from Oregon, Jones has become a key player on and off the field for the Tigers.

2. S MARQUISE GILBERT

Gilbert didn’t earn much playing time after signing out of junior college last season. But a year’s experience plus close to 10 more pounds helped him step up this spring as a contender for a starting position at safety. The competition will be tough with veterans like Zion Puckett, Jaylin Simpson and Donovan Kaufman all battling for a spot on the first team.

1. RB DAMARI ALSTON

Alston was pretty good as a true freshman last fall but certainly took advantage of that experience and a year in the strength and conditioning program to have one of the best springs of anyone on the roster. Alston ran powerfully between the tackles and had several long runs during scrimmages. He’s also a threat catching passes. He should provide a potent 1-2 punch with Jarquez Hunter this fall. Alston's totals last season were 14 carries for 85 yards. He’s still waiting on that first collegiate touchdown. It won't be much longer.

• Like 1