Landmark SCOTUS Ruling On Affirmative Action

12 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

You can try to regulate greed but when you do, you’ll destroy just about everything else that’s working.  Been tried.

No.  Greed has been throttled before and,,, it was successful.  Equality actually make the wealthy,,, wealthier.  It does not shrink the economy.  It broadens the economy.

• Like 1

Just now, icanthearyou said:

No.  Greed has been throttled before and,,, it was successful.  Equality actually make the wealthy,,, wealthier.  It does not shrink the economy.  It broadens the economy.

ICAN, first, when you say "equality" what exactly do you mean?    Everyone holds exactly equal wealth?   The rich are 10% less rich and the poor are 90% less poor?   How do you define it?   Second, how do you propose the US can get there?   Third, give us an example of a country where your view of equality exists. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Well in Comm College World, 30-33s were not happening...lol

You are not  alone...  We had one that choose not to chin that bar....

13 hours ago, PUB78 said:

Studies show that you have a 98% chance of NOT living in poverty if you do  just  four (4) things.

1. Finish High School 

2. Get A Job

3. Don’t Have Children Until You Are Married

4. Don’t get addicted to drugs, alcohol or gambling.

PUB, I'd love to see a study that looks at those four factors and the correlation between intact vs single parent households.   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Without medication, when has greed been “throttled”? Much the less without destroying ambition and drive?  it’s like telling someone who’s overweight to just eat less. Problem solved! This isn’t about economics or political science - it’s about …. understanding the vast diversity of the species. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Merit scholarships are available at Auburn.   To receive the most $$$, you need a 33 or higher on the ACT.   A 30 ACT gets a student 8K per year.   We have had 2 children receive the most available and a 3rd one -- well let's just say we are happy she is at Auburn.

I'm happy for them but I have a granddaughter who made strait As at one of the highest rated high schools in Alabama, had a very high ACT, score  but was offered nothing from AU. I talked to the admissions office and they said if she was a minority they could offer her a scholly. She was offered a $4000 per year scholly from UAB. I said fine, gave her $4000 per year to go to AU and took it out of my normal donation to AU.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, Son of A Tiger said:

I'm happy for them but I have a granddaughter who made strait As at one of the highest rated high schools in Alabama, had a very high ACT, score  but was offered nothing from AU. I talked to the admissions office and they said if she was a minority they could offer her a scholly. She was offered a $4000 per year scholly from UAB. I said fine, gave her $4000 per year to go to AU and took it out of my normal donation to AU.

She is lucky to have you as her grandfather!!!!   I hope she kills it at AU!!!

6 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

She is lucky to have you as her grandfather!!!!   I hope she kills it at AU!!!

She did. Graduated with honors at AU, got a graduate level scholly from the Univ. of Denver Med School and went on to get a PA degree in medicine. I spoke at her graduation at Denver.

Edited by Son of A Tiger
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, Son of A Tiger said:

Not true. The #1 cause is infidelity.

Revealing Divorce Statistics In 2023 – Forbes Advisor

I had heard the same as Cole...   This study has finances as #5.   Very interesting that divorcees also die earlier.   It is so true that we are not meant to be alone, and we thrive when we are in good, healthy relationships.   I'm not surprised to see that 2nd and 3rd marriages fail at a much higher rate.   True story -- a partner at one of B'ham's oldest and largest law firms was getting married for the third time.   As he passed one of his more colorful partners in the hall he asked "are you going to be able to make my wedding this weekend" ----- the colorful partner, without hesitation replied "no but I'll be sure to make the next one."  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

ICAN, first, when you say "equality" what exactly do you mean?    Everyone holds exactly equal wealth?   The rich are 10% less rich and the poor are 90% less poor?   How do you define it?   Second, how do you propose the US can get there?   Third, give us an example of a country where your view of equality exists. 

Not ICHY but for me equality is not everyone holds equal wealth. That would be Communism and that doesn't work. Equality to me means that everyone has the same opportunity to achieve their goals, the pay rate for the lower class increases at the same rate as the top 1%.

Most Conservatives believe in "trickle down" economics. Which is great in theory, except that theory also forgets to include greed. And you are starting to see that in today's age. Since 1979, the top 1% wages increased by 170%, compare that to the bottom 90% whose wages have only increased by 26%. Even with all the corporate tax cuts and the increased revenue, the top will just eat the gains instead of distributing them to their employees. It is the exact same problem with Communism, the people in charge will hoard more for themselves and distribute less to everyone else. 

You have to have balance. The top 1% wages should increase at the same rate as the bottom 90%.

https://www.epi.org/blog/wages-for-the-top-1-skyrocketed-160-since-1979-while-the-share-of-wages-for-the-bottom-90-shrunk-time-to-remake-wage-pattern-with-economic-policies-that-generate-robust-wage-growth-for-vast-majority/

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Without medication, when has greed been “throttled”? Much the less without destroying ambition and drive?  it’s like telling someone who’s overweight to just eat less. Problem solved! This isn’t about economics or political science - it’s about …. understanding the vast diversity of the species. 

Think about America,,, pre Great Depression.  Think about America in the late 40s, 50s, 60s (the greatest economic expansion in history).  Think about relative equality, tax policy, regulation.

Again, the most efficient answer is balancing the interests of capital and society.

Capitalism can only be sustained with regulation.  Ruthless capitalism isn't capitalism at all.  You have been trained to believe in the perfection of capitalism.  That is a myth, a lie, propaganda.  Concentrated power destroys competition and innovation. 

On 7/2/2023 at 8:37 PM, cole256 said:

Every year Auburn has a bunch of African Americans trying to get scholarships and can't get a penny

I'm certain there are instances of that, but there are very few African American applicants with high percentile test scores and elite high school gpa scores that don't qualify for some degree of scholarship assistance.  Those that don't are likely students that come from families with incomes that exceed the maximum level of income allowed for recipients of the scholarship in question. There are thousands of African American students across Alabama every year that have the test scores and have the high school record.  However, just like everyone else has the right to do, they look beyond the state and find the best place to maximize their achievements. 

I suppose the point that I am attempting to get across is that, like many issues, there isn't just one cause.  There are pages of small factors that add up to the result being a 5% minority enrollment at Auburn.  I do know that none of those factors is rooted in Auburn not wanting to increase minority enrollment.  The university very much wants to accomplish that.

33 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

I had heard the same as Cole...   This study has finances as #5.   Very interesting that divorcees also die earlier.   It is so true that we are not meant to be alone, and we thrive when we are in good, healthy relationships.   I'm not surprised to see that 2nd and 3rd marriages fail at a much higher rate.   True story -- a partner at one of B'ham's oldest and largest law firms was getting married for the third time.   As he passed one of his more colorful partners in the hall he asked "are you going to be able to make my wedding this weekend" ----- the colorful partner, without hesitation replied "no but I'll be sure to make the next one."  

LOL.. Reminds me of a good friend's mom.  He has a brother on his 5th marriage.  In her home, she has pictures from every wedding displayed in their living room.  She has the same dress on in wedding #3 as she does in wedding #4 & #5.  He has a child from every marriage and she wanted her grandchildren to see the picture of their mother with their father when they are at her house (her reasoning).  She passed recently, but was a real character.  She had sworn to wear that dress to any other wedding.  I have always been amazed that he was the first marriage for every woman he married. My first thought was why have a ceremony by the time the 4th and 5th come around?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Think about America,,, pre Great Depression.  Think about America in the late 40s, 50s, 60s (the greatest economic expansion in history).  Think about relative equality, tax policy, regulation.

Again, the most efficient answer is balancing the interests of capital and society.

Capitalism can only be sustained with regulation.  Ruthless capitalism isn't capitalism at all.  You have been trained to believe in the perfection of capitalism.  That is a myth, a lie, propaganda.  Concentrated power destroys competition and innovation. 

The 40s, 50s and 60s grew from post war expansion, globalization, and an exploding birth rate. 

Respectfully, I haven’t been trained or indoctrinated. It’s way worse than that. I’ve run 2 large global consulting organizations and later started a PE firm that invests growth capital into many mid market tech companies. I am one of those capitalistic bastards.  You could either say Ive made money on the backs of others or created thousands of jobs and advanced many careers. And both would be true. 

We’re at an impasse and I promise I understand and am familiar with your point of view. It’s important and provides balance and injects limits to control greedy narcissists like me. 

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Nice gesture by Charles:

Like most of us, Charles has some really regrettable moments in his life, but that man has a huge heart and a huge love for Auburn.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Son of A Tiger said:

Not true. The #1 cause is infidelity.

Revealing Divorce Statistics In 2023 – Forbes Advisor

https://www.crosswalk.com/family/finances/5-reasons-why-money-is-the-1-cause-of-divorce.html

I'm sure you can find many studies that shows different thingsbut either way nobody can disagree that finances are very important. And I bet if you asked why did that person choose to have a lack of commitment they would say finances was the reason......

Also the study that you link says lack of commitment is number 1 not infidelity like you say.....

I have no doubt if you have a 30 ACT score and you're black you can get a scholy but I have no doubt it's the same if you are white. 

I also know there are plenty of minorities with very high ACT scores that can't get any scholarships at Auburn. I don't have to say I have a friend or I know a person who said.....I was in the program, I was an officer, I saw the professor and students go through the frustration.

I also had roommates who were part of the upper class white society. I saw how many of them didn't have good grades but were part of frats of their parents were alumni or whatever different social club they were part of and they did get scholy from different places. 

I also had one friend who was black get kicked out of school because his grades dropped when his grandmother passed who raised him. I also had a roommate who was kicked out for bad grades just because he wasn't ready for college. The school let the white guy back in and refused the black guy........stuff is messed up.

21 hours ago, aubaseball said:

But that’s your problem with just about everything you say.   You assume that everyone that doesn’t agree with you wants him to win.  You really think that if he is elected, he will magically turn this country into something completely different.   The man is a complete bunch of smoke that most on the left has bought into hook line and sinker.   

Yeah, I do believe people who defend him will vote for him.  Silly me.

4 hours ago, Son of A Tiger said:

What scholarship was that?

9 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Jan 6 was about a perceived illegal election.   Whether you and others care to believe, people thought that the way the election was carried out was wrong.   I’ve asked you time and time again, do you believe the changing of the way votes were cast was a legal thing?  I don’t believe I’ve ever gotten an answer.   Not that I really care, because I’m sure you will say that  it was justified because of Covid.   Governors went beyond their scope and changed how votes were cast.   That’s a fact.   That can interrupted however you want to look at it.   
You somehow think that I agree with what happened on Jan 6 and many others on here.   You are completely wrong just as you’re completely wrong on the protest in 2020.   Those protests turned out to be nothing more than destruction and looting and a way to raise money to line the pockets of fraudsters.   

People believed it was a illegal election because Trump and his lackeys kept telling them it was.

I trust in the outcome of 60 + court challenges all over the country that proved no significant fraud occurred.  In other words, it was legal.  (Certainly more legal than Bush v. Gore)

If you don't agree with what happened on Jan 6 you sure are trying to minimize it.  It represented much more than a few idiots breaking into the capitol to vent their frustration.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilded_Age

52 minutes ago, Son of A Tiger said:

Not sure what you mean. The offer from UAB (4000 per year) was the only one she had that was considered.

I mean what scholarship was it that she could've been offered if she was a minority