6.28.23 FootballArticles

aubiefifty

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Auburn Tigers Snapshot Profile: No. 12 Holden Geriner

JD McCarthy
7–8 minutes

Going into the 2023 football season, Auburn Wire will be looking at each scholarship player listed on the Tigers’ roster.

Over the preseason, each profile will cover where the player is from, how recruiting websites rated them coming out of high school, and what role they will play for Hugh Freeze in his first season on the Plains.

Buy Tigers Tickets

Up next is quarterback Holden Geriner. He appeared in one game last season to maintain his redshirt and looks set to be QB3 behind Auburn’s older and more experienced options.

Preseason Player Profile

Hometown: Savannah, Georgia

Height: 6-3

Weight: 212

Class in 2023: Redshirt Freshman

247Sports Composite Ranking

Four-Star / No. 25 in GA / No. 18 QB

Career Stats

Year G Completion Percentage Yards TDs INTs
2022 1 67% (2-3) 8 0 0

PFF Grades

Year Offense Passing Running Pass Blocking Run Blocking
2022 62.1 61.7 60.0

Depth Chart Overview

Geriner was in a battle with Robby Ashford and T.J. Finley for the starting job but the arrival of Peyton Thorne seems to have cemented him as the No. 3 quarterback.

His one appearance last season was due to injury and it is unlikely he will play a meaningful role this season. However, he impressed the coaching staff during spring practice with his throwing ability and has a chance to play a major role next season as he continues to develop.

Holden Geriner’s Photo Gallery

1243482588.jpg?w=1000

Missouri v Auburn

AUBURN, ALABAMA - SEPTEMBER 24: Quarterback Holden Geriner #12 of the Auburn Tigers looks to throw…

AUBURN, ALABAMA - SEPTEMBER 24: Quarterback Holden Geriner #12 of the Auburn Tigers looks to throw the ball while being tackled by defensive back Martez Manuel #3 of the Missouri Tigers during the second half of play at Jordan-Hare Stadium on September 24, 2022 in Auburn, Alabama. (Photo by Michael Chang/Getty Images)

USATSI_19107696.jpg?w=1000

NCAA Football: Missouri at Auburn

Sep 24, 2022; Auburn, Alabama, USA; Auburn Tigers quarterback Holden Geriner (12) attempts a pass while…

Sep 24, 2022; Auburn, Alabama, USA; Auburn Tigers quarterback Holden Geriner (12) attempts a pass while in the grasp of Missouri Tigers defensive back Martez Manuel (3) during the fourth quarter at Jordan-Hare Stadium. Mandatory Credit: John Reed-USA TODAY Sports

USATSI_19107891.jpg?w=1000

Syndication: The Montgomery Advertiser

Auburn Tigers quarterback Holden Geriner (12) drops back to pass as Auburn Tigers take on Missouri…

Auburn Tigers quarterback Holden Geriner (12) drops back to pass as Auburn Tigers take on Missouri Tigers at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala., on Saturday, Sept. 24, 2022. Auburn Tigers defeated Missouri Tigers 17-14.

USATSI_19107865.jpg?w=1000

Auburn Tigers quarterback Holden Geriner (12) runs the ball as Auburn Tigers take on Missouri Tigers…

Auburn Tigers quarterback Holden Geriner (12) runs the ball as Auburn Tigers take on Missouri Tigers at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala., on Saturday, Sept. 24, 2022. Auburn Tigers defeated Missouri Tigers 17-14.

USATSI_19107964.jpg?w=1000

Auburn Tigers quarterback Holden Geriner (12) reacts after being taken down as Auburn Tigers take on…

Auburn Tigers quarterback Holden Geriner (12) reacts after being taken down as Auburn Tigers take on Missouri Tigers at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala., on Saturday, Sept. 24, 2022. Auburn Tigers defeated Missouri Tigers 17-14.

20230408_FB_SpringGame_Geriner12_AP_2940

AUBURN, AL - 2023.04.08 - 2023 A-Day Spring Game

AUBURN, AL - April 08, 2023 - Auburn Quarterback Holden Geriner (#12) during the 2023 A-Day…

AUBURN, AL - April 08, 2023 - Auburn Quarterback Holden Geriner (#12) during the 2023 A-Day Spring Game at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, AL. Photo By Austin Perryman

USATSI_20422666.jpg?w=1000

NCAA Football: Auburn Spring Game

Apr 8, 2023; Auburn, AL, USA; Auburn Tigers quarterback Holden Geriner (12) hands off to running…

Apr 8, 2023; Auburn, AL, USA; Auburn Tigers quarterback Holden Geriner (12) hands off to running back Sean Jackson (44) during the annual Auburn Spring Game at Jordan-Hare Stadium. Mandatory Credit: John Reed-USA TODAY Sports

USATSI_20421804.jpg?w=1000

Apr 8, 2023; Auburn, AL, USA; Auburn Tigers quarterback Holden Geriner (12) warms up before the…

Apr 8, 2023; Auburn, AL, USA; Auburn Tigers quarterback Holden Geriner (12) warms up before the annual Auburn Spring Game at Jordan-Hare Stadium. Mandatory Credit: John Reed-USA TODAY Sports

20230301_FB_SpringPractice_Geriner12_DG_

AUBURN, AL - 2023.03.01 - Spring Practice

AUBURN, AL - March 01, 2023 - Auburn Quarterback Holden Geriner (#12) during spring practice at…

AUBURN, AL - March 01, 2023 - Auburn Quarterback Holden Geriner (#12) during spring practice at the Woltosz Football Performance Center in Auburn, AL. Photo by Declan Greene

USATSI_19198717.jpg?w=1000

NCAA Football: Auburn at Georgia

Oct 8, 2022; Athens, Georgia, USA; Auburn Tigers quarterback Holden Geriner (12) warms up prior to…

Oct 8, 2022; Athens, Georgia, USA; Auburn Tigers quarterback Holden Geriner (12) warms up prior to the game against the Auburn Tigers at Sanford Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Dale Zanine-USA TODAY Sports

USATSI_19157834.jpg?w=1000

Auburn Tigers quarterback Holden Geriner (12) warms up before Auburn Tigers take on LSU Tigers at…

Auburn Tigers quarterback Holden Geriner (12) warms up before Auburn Tigers take on LSU Tigers at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala., on Saturday, Oct. 1, 2022.

USATSI_19105723.jpg?w=1000

Auburn Tigers quarterback Holden Geriner (12) warms up before Auburn Tigers take on Missouri Tigers at…

Auburn Tigers quarterback Holden Geriner (12) warms up before Auburn Tigers take on Missouri Tigers at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala., on Saturday, Sept. 24, 2022.

032522-AU-FB-tve-23.jpg?w=1000

AU FB Practice

Holden Geriner

Holden Geriner Auburn AU scrimmage on Friday, March 25, 2022 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

9-Auburn-4.jpg?w=1000

AU FB practice

Holden Geriner (12)

Holden Geriner (12) Auburn football practice on Tuesday, Aug. 9, 2022 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

USATSI_18050373.jpg?w=1000

Apr 9, 2022; Auburn, AL, USA; Auburn Tigers quarterback Holden Geriner (12) warms up before the…

Apr 9, 2022; Auburn, AL, USA; Auburn Tigers quarterback Holden Geriner (12) warms up before the Spring game at Jordan-Hare Stadium. Mandatory Credit: John Reed-USA TODAY Sports

39f348b466d648bf8f6063117c03af96.jpg?w=1

Auburn Spring Football

Auburn quarterback Holden Geriner (12) throws a pass during the A-Day NCAA college spring football game…

Auburn quarterback Holden Geriner (12) throws a pass during the A-Day NCAA college spring football game at Jordan-Hare Stadium, Saturday, April 9, 2022, in Auburn, Al

• Thanks 1

saturdaydownsouth.com

Auburn offensive lineman reportedly departs program

Spenser Davis
~3 minutes

Auburn offensive lineman Cort Bradley has left the program, according to a report.

War Eagle! Get Auburn news straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to the Saturday Football Newsletter and get updates whenever big Auburn news happens.

By subscribing, you confirm you're 21+ and have never self-excluded from betting/gambling, agree to our T&Cs and Privacy Policy, and consent to receive updates/offers. Unsubscribe Anytime.

Auburn.png

That’s per Auburn Live’s Justin Hokanson, who cited program sources. Bradley spent the past 2 seasons with the Tigers.

Bradley, an Auburn native, appeared in 1 game for the Tigers in 2022. He was a reserve offensive lineman who joined the program as a walk-on in the class of 2021.

He had scholarship offers from programs such as UAB, Air Force and Coastal Carolina coming out of high school. He was the No. 148 interior offensive lineman in the country for his class, per 247Sports Composite rankings.

Auburn is in the midst of a roster overhaul this offseason, especially on the offensive line.

The Tigers have signed 4 offensive line transfers this cycle. Auburn also brought in 5 offensive linemen, led by 4-star Connor Lew, in the 2023 high school recruiting class.

Auburn’s transfer portal class includes 20 players overall. The group ranks No. 3 in the country, according to 247Sports Composite rankings.

Bradley has not officially announced his intentions to enter the transfer portal.

TRENDING

58,148 READS

51,772 READS

23,016 READS

e01c7c4f9957bc498cb9cfb814d2da69?s=100&d

Spenser is the news manager at Saturday Road and covers college football across all Saturday Football brands. Follow on Twitter.

auburntigers.com

On The Plains with Elijah McAllister: 'Impact others through love and positivity'

Auburn University Athletics

10–12 minutes

AUBURN, Ala. – “I’m all about impacting the community in a positive way. That’s just who I am.”

Meet Elijah McAllister, a graduate student and outside linebacker from Asbury Park, New Jersey, who has already given plenty of heart to his Auburn Family.

“I’m a big believer that nobody gets anywhere by themselves, so any way I can impact the community, I’m going to try," he said. 

Since arriving on the Plains from Vanderbilt in January, McAllister has been busy going to local schools interacting and reading with kids. He has participated in Tigers Give Back Day and is planning a summer school supply drive for the Boys and Girls Club. Add to that his contributions through his nonprofit organization, All For One and One For All, in New Jersey that regularly conducts food pantry distributions, hosts summer football camps and other youth activities to help children build life skills and further understand mental health issues. He made regular visits to schools and the Children’s Hospital while living in Nashville -- and it’s obvious this Ph.D. student/outside linebacker knows how to make the most of every minute.

A two-time team captain at Vanderbilt who was selected for the Allstate AFCA Good Works Team in 2021, McAllister is a believer that service is for everybody.

“I love to get my teammates out of their comfort zone and have conversations with different people, connect with people in the community and use their platform to do something greater," he said. "A lot of guys aren’t fully aware of the impact they can have with just a small investment of their time.

“I remember going to a school to read and play at recess with the kids. It was just a regular day for us. We had attended workouts and class, and the easier decision would have been to relax at home the rest of the day. At the end of that day, though, one of the kids came up and said, ‘This has been the best day of my life!’ I almost shed a tear.

“For us as collegiate athletes, we’re just spending some time at an elementary school. For the kids, that could be the switch that allows them to progress and stay on track with school, respect and love their parents, maybe find a passion in sports, and find somebody who looks like them and say, ‘OK, I could do that one day.’ Contributing in this way is what I feel my true purpose here on earth is.

“That’s what I always want to do and lead my teammates to get comfortable doing the same. If we talk to 200 kids and one opens his heart, he’s never going to forget that. That’s something I’ve had throughout the course of my life, so why wouldn’t I give back and do the same for others?” 

Where did that seed of service get planted? “I grew up in a church that was big on serving. You have ushers doing things, deacons, bishops, the pastor – everybody in the church community is part of bringing God’s word to others. I grew up playing the piano, singing in the choir, being an usher, working on the music ministry – that’s important to me.

“I have a really close family: older brother Tyron Jr. and four younger siblings, Marielda, Sheridan, Addison and A.J. I have a mom, dad and two step-parents – they have a unique partnership of parenting everyone, and that creates a great family full of love. They all grew up in the church which connects and brings us together. I love and deeply appreciate my family. They are a huge part of my support and development.

“One of my favorite quotes by Maya Angelou is, ‘I come as one but I stand as 10,000.' Any time I go in a room, I represent myself. But when people see me and the things I do, I want people to be able to see my last name, to see Auburn, to see the College of Education, my church and all the great things my family has molded me into being the man I am today. I’m so excited to be able to represent all of these – it’s not pressure, it’s passion.”

Recording 65 career tackles, three forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries, an interception and a touchdown during his time as a Commodore, McAllister has been just as productive in the classroom as well. He received his bachelor’s degree in medicine, health and society with a double minor in business and psychology in 2021. Further, he completed a master’s degree in education at the end of the Fall 2022 semester where he learned about diversity and urban studies. “This taught me how different cultures, genders and races all affect the learning curve for each student.

“Now I’m starting my Ph.D. work in the College of Education and I’m learning a lot of different things," added McAllister. "I’m taking classes in educational leadership, educational psychology, curriculum, supervising, applied learning theory and research methods. It’s a big umbrella, but the most important aspect is learning how to apply textbook knowledge and theory to everyday life. This degree will take two to three years, but I am very excited for the process.

“Academics have always been important to me because I think knowledge is a prerequisite to having a successful life in many different capacities. That’s why I’m adamant about doing well in my studies – allowing me to eventually become a professor, athletic director or general manager of an organization. I look to build a positive culture, lead in a productive way and to teach life skills. Education is important, but learning through teaching people the things that happen in everyday life is even more crucial. I know that my degrees will help me bridge the gap wherever I end up.”

McAllister understands firsthand the support he hopes to offer to others. “In high school, middle school and even college, I’ve had injuries and had to deal with some adversity. As a human being, it affected me in some ways mentally, but through God, I was able to build my confidence back. At times of adversity, sometimes you’re unsure where you’re going to be in life. Even entering the transfer portal, I simply wasn’t sure.

“I’m a mental health advocate, so any time I can use my platform to talk about mental health for men, children and people of all kinds throughout the community I make a point to do so. For athletes specifically, I think it’s important that we keep this conversation going. I try to do that every day with my teammates and the things I tweet about or talk about on social media. I have trust in the positive impact of cultivating an inclusive community.

“I have people in my life who keep me on the right track and instill confidence in me. They’re always here for me and their faithful words have allowed me to become who I am today. I’ve always had a passion for selfless acts. Even if I’m not impacting a thousand people, I can impact one.”

That’s the reason McAllister started his foundation in 2021. “It’s something that I was able to tailor focusing on the things I’m passionate about in life – education, mental health, life experiences, sports, community and food! That’s why I continue to contribute to it and will focus on growing its impact for the rest of my life.”

The foundation is also a big part of the reason he chose Auburn as the next stop in his athletic and educational career.

“Why did I pick Auburn? I love the tradition of this place. It's a place where athletes feel they are getting a true college experience and I love the community aspect of it. I’m able to get my foot on the ground and impact others through love and positivity. I’m confident people will get to know me around the university which allows people to see me behind the helmet.

“The transfer portal can be practical in many ways. I think my situation is unique – I didn’t ever expect to leave Vanderbilt, but there was just another opportunity. After two degrees, being a two-time captain, and giving everything to Vanderbilt that I possibly could have, I had to do what was best for my future. I am constantly searching for a higher level of development for myself, on and off the field, so the transfer portal has been a blessing to me because I’ve been able to come to a place like Auburn that sees the true value of me and is allowing me to showcase those strengths fully.

“Being part of the Allstate AFCA Good Works Team allowed me to start my foundation and impact kids all across the country. Now, being in a new space with the platform Auburn has and the support I have received so far has helped me continue to make a positive impact. Uniquely enough, NIL has also played a role, as I use all of the proceeds that I receive to make a lot of things that are a part of my foundation free and accessible to all.

“Auburn wanted me and I’ll help lay the foundation here, getting Auburn back to the brand of football it’s used to playing. As a 10-year-old, I was watching Cam Newton and the Tigers win a national championship. That’s the Auburn I know. Ten years from now, I want another middle schooler to have the same feeling. That full-circle impact is very important to me.

“The talent level here is second to none. There are a lot of really good players, but there are also a lot of really good people in this building. You never really know as you’re getting recruited if that’s the case. So those have been two pleasant surprises: the talent level – so you’re competing every single day – and I’m in a place where I feel comfortable with like-minded people. 

“My family, community, foundation, teammates, and most importantly, God, continue to be the backbone of allowing me to do these things. For that I am forever thankful. It’s been a great start here.”

• Thanks 1

Most Valuable Tigers No 20

Nathan King

4–5 minutes

We're still in the heart of the college football offseason, more than two weeks removed from spring practice, media days still a month away, and more than two months until the start of the 2023 season, Auburn’s first under Hugh Freeze.

So what better time to crank up the rankings? As we do annually this time of year, Auburn Undercover is counting down the top 25 most valuable players for the Tigers' 2023 season.

A few notes to set the table: These rankings are based on a player's previous contributions to the team, as well as his assumed impact in 2023 — how important he is expected to be to Auburn's success in both production and the win-loss column.

It is not simply Auburn's best players in descending order. If a freshman is included on the list, his positioning is obviously a projection of his talent and significance to his respective position group.

Next up is No. 20: Ole Miss linebacker transfer Austin Keys.

AS A RECRUIT

Hometown: Seminary, Mississippi

Class: 2020

247Sports ranking: No. 41 ILB, No. 688 overall

AS A PLAYER

(Ole Miss Athletics)

Auburn snagged not one, but two SEC West linebacker transfers this offseason.

The more experienced pickup was Keys, who now looks to be settled with the Tigers as their primary option at middle linebacker following spring practice. An impressive and versatile athlete at 6-foot-2 and 245 pounds, Keys slowly progressed during his first two years on campus in Oxford before solidifying as an important piece of the Rebels' defense this past season.

Keys started six games at linebacker and totaled 39 tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss and one forced fumble. In mid January, he became Auburn’s 12th transfer addition of the cycle.

2023 OUTLOOK

At 6-foot-2 and 233 pounds, Keys took to Auburn’s new defense quickly in spring practice and was complimented often by his new coaches and teammates for consistency in the linebacking corps, as he became a fixture on the first-team defense.

While Keys is capable of flexing to the weakside ‘backer spot, linebackers coach Josh Aldridge said Keys has “that perfect Mike build to him” — and as such, he rotated with Wesley Steiner at middle linebacker.

Keys joins a room with plenty of returning players looking for increased roles or to break into the rotation for the first time. But there aren't any standouts in the room. Cam Riley showed flashes in his first season as a starter but was by no means an overly consistent player. Steiner played only six snaps against both Mississippi State and Western Kentucky and didn't play at all against Texas A&M and Alabama. Eugene Asante transferred from North Carolina last offseason but didn't appear in a game in 2022. Robert Woodyard was Auburn's highest-rated signee in 2022 but primarily was only a special-teamer as a freshman.

Keys is the middle linebacker complement to North Texas transfer Larry Nixon III, who projects on the weakside. Considering some of Steiner's struggles last season that saw his snaps diminish, Keys certainly has a strong opportunity at being the starter alongside Riley or Nixon.

Keys earns the top nod on our Most Valuable Tigers list among linebackers due to his experience and quick progression with the team in spring practice. His spot would be higher, though, if Auburn didn’t have a handful of other options in the room that could very well grow into significant roles in 2023.

WHAT THEY SAID

"Austin Keys has been everything I thought he'd be. He's got to clean some detail stuff up. But I think we definitely did not miss on him by any means.” — Aldridge

WHAT SAY YOU?

What do you think of Keys’ spot in our Most Valuable Tigers rankings? Too high? Too low? Just right? Share your thoughts on the Bodda Getta message board, on Twitter or on Facebook.

MOST VALUABLE TIGERS

No. 25: LB Cam Riley

No. 24: DL Mosiah Nasili-Kite

No. 23: LB Larry Nixon III

No. 22: S Zion Puckett

No. 21: K Alex McPherson

*** 50% OFF SUMMER SPECIAL: Subscribe to Auburn Undercover for the latest news and intel, podcasts, recruiting coverage and more ***

• Thanks 1

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Where Auburn lands in Athlon Sports' preseason SEC RB rankings

Taylor Jones
7–9 minutes

The 2023 season is upon us, and one position group that appears to have the least amount of questions is the running back unit.

Auburn football has experienced a program overhaul thanks to incoming transfer portal talent, with quarterback, offensive line, and wide receiver all expected to be affected by this change. The one constant, however, is running back.

Buy Tigers Tickets

Jarquez Hunter is expected to be the team’s premier back this season, and has made quite the impression on Hugh Freeze.

“I think Jarquez (Hunter) is the best that I’ve coached thus far,” Freeze said during spring practice. “(I’m) excited about his demeanor and the way he goes about his work. He keeps his mouth shut and just goes to work.”

Following Hunter’s lead is expected to be USF transfer Brian Battie. Battie rushed for 1,186 yards and eight touchdowns last season, and his speed will definitely aid Auburn in the return game as well.

Those two names are the most popular around the Plains, but it is worth keeping an eye on Damari Alston as well. Alston only recorded 14 touches last season but his versatility impressed offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery in the spring.

“From Day 1, I thought (Alston) had a pretty good feel with what we were trying to do in the run game, with seeing it, setting up blocks, and still had that physicality about him,” Montgomery said. “But the speed that he brings… man, he’s got gears in there.”

The three-headed monster that Auburn will bring into the season sure seems impressive, but does the national media see it that way? Athlon Sports ranked each SEC program’s running back situation in its preseason magazine, and believes that the Tigers have one of the best units in the conference.

Here’s a rundown of Athlon Sports’ running back unit rankings ahead of the 2023 season.

USATSI_19380063.jpg

Denny Medley-USA TODAY Sports

The departure of Ray Davis leaves a giant hole for Vanderbilt to fill. Davis has taken his talents to Lexington, which leaves returners Patrick Smith and Chase Gillespie to battle for the premier back position. The duo combined to rush for 269 yards on 83 touches last season.

1422561612.jpg

Wesley Hitt/Getty Images

There are a lot of questions when it comes to South Carolina’s running back stable. The leading back from last season, Marshawn Lloyd, has transferred to Southern California, leaving the only returning back with some experience to be Juju McDowell. McDowell only had 62 carries for 219 yards last season, which means his workload should increase by a heavy margin.

USATSI_19094735.jpg

Jay Biggerstaff-USA TODAY Sports

Missouri was a pass-heavy team last season, and could very well be that way again in 2023. Cody Schrader and Nathaniel Peat return to Missouri this season and hope to have a larger role with the team.

6dd491eb097f4874b9513475096cb048.jpg

AP Photo/Rick Scuteri

The running game at Mississippi State will be revamped in 2023. Following the unfortunate passing of Mike Leach, new head coach Zach Arnett will install a more balanced system which will feature more action from the Bulldogs’ running backs. It will be interesting to see what numbers Jo’Quavious Marks ends up with this season.

USATSI_19372602.jpg

SCOTT CLAUSE/USA TODAY Network / USA TODAY NETWORK

LSU relied heavily on the dual-threat ability of quarterback Jayden Daniels last season, and I would expect that to be the case again this season. The running back with the most production last season was Josh Williams, who rushed for 532 yards and six touchdowns. Noah Cain and John Emery will be mainstays in the LSU backfield as well.

For more LSU football news, check out LSU Tigers Wire.

USATSI_17296426.jpg

Maria Lysaker-USA TODAY Sports

Devon Achane carried the load for Texas A&M last season, and that is not an exaggeration. He rushed for 1,102 yards last season, which was 902 yards more than the next guy. Amari Daniels is seen as the “next man up” for Texas A&M, with true freshman Rueben Owens expected to be in the mix as well.

For more Texas A&M football news, visit Aggies Wire.

USATSI_17246753.jpg

Jamie Rhodes-USA TODAY Sports

Kentucky loses two five-year players in Chris Rodriguez and Kavosiey Smoke, and their leading returning rusher, JuTahn McClain, rushed for just 278 yards on 59 carries. The Wildcats got an experienced back from the transfer portal in Ray Davis from Vanderbilt, who led the Commodores in rushing last season with 1,042 yards in 2022.

USATSI_19416738.jpg

Randy Sartin-USA TODAY Sports

Like several SEC programs, Tennessee did not have a 1,000-yard rusher last seaso, but did have two backs that produced solid carries. The Volunteers return their top two rushers from last season in Jabari Small and Jaylen Wright. The combo produced 1,609 rushing yards last season and 23 touchdowns. No matter who is on the field, expect the Volunteers to be solid in the running game.

For more Tennessee news, visit Vols Wire.

USATSI_19323735.jpg

Matt Pendleton/Gainesville Sun

Florida returns its top leading rushers from last season, Montrell Johnson Jr. and Trevor Etienne. Both players combined to rush for 1,560 yards and 16 touchdowns last season, and may be called to pick up the slack left behind from first round NFL draft pick Anthony Richardson, who was instrumental in the running game last season as well.

For more Florida news, visit Gators Wire.

58f60049b2e047eb90eef798c074f1e3.jpg

AP Photo/Butch Dill

Tank Bigsby is out, and here comes Jarquez Hunter. Hunter learned well under Bigsby over the last two seasons, and is ready to take the lead in Auburn’s RB room. True freshman Damari Alston brings plenty of potential into the season, and the Tigers also added speed with USF transfer Brian Battie.

USATSI_19110161.jpg

Petre Thomas-USA TODAY Sports

The winner of the SEC Freshman of the Year in 2022 is back to lead the Ole Miss backfield in 2023. Last season, Quinshon Judkins rushed for 1,567 yards on 274 carries with 16 touchdowns. Ulysses Bentley IV will look to fill the void left by Zach Evans as the Rebels’ supporting back.

USATSI_19755762.jpg

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

What comes to mind when most college football fans think of Georgia’s offense, the thought of the Bulldogs’ passing game comes to mind. Sure, Georgia’s leading receivers from last season are back, but the Bulldogs managed to have three backs rush for over 500 yards last season. Kendall Milton was the team’s third-leading rusher last season by accumulating 592 yards, and is expected to be the premier back in 2023. The team’s second-leading rusher, Daijun Edwards, is back for the Bulldogs as well.

For more Georgia football news, visit UGA Wire.

USATSI_19704325.jpg

Andrew Wevers-USA TODAY Sports

The Crimson Tide failed to have a 1,000-yard rusher in 2022, but still had a solid unit in Jahmyr Gibbs and Jase McClellan leading the way. McClellan returns after rushing for 655 yards and seven touchdowns last season, and will have a great supporting cast in Roydell Williams this season.

For more Alabama football news, check out Roll Tide Wire.

1442876102.jpg

Wesley Hitt/Getty Images

The Razorbacks will run it back with Rocket Sanders, A.J. Green, and Rashad Dubinion this season. Sanders rushed for 1,443 yards last season, while Green and Dubinon added 705 additional yards. The trio combined to score 18 touchdowns a season ago, and mixing in quarterback KJ Jefferson will give Arkansas one of the best rushing attacks in the country.

For more Arkansas football news, visit Razorbacks Wire.

• Thanks 1

247sports.com

Jersey numbers for new Auburn transfers freshman summer enrollees

Nathan King
~2 minutes

Following Auburn’s in-house media day last week, the team has updated its roster with jersey numbers for every player — including the post-spring transfer additions, and the remainder of the 2023 signees who enrolled in the summer. 

Auburn had previously logged new measurables for all players, but the newcomers’ jersey numbers had still yet to be posted. Check out the biggest weight gains and losses for the Tigers this summer here.

With another official update, freshman receiver Daquayvious Sorey and JUCO defensive lineman Quientrail Jamison-Travis are still missing from the roster.

Still in the midst of summer workouts, the Tigers head to SEC Media Days on July 18 before Hugh Freeze’s first fall camp in early August.

Auburn’s official spring roster can be found here.

TRANSFERS

• #1 QB Payton Thorne (Michigan State)

• #10 WR Caleb Burton III (Ohio State)

• #11 WR Shane Hooks (Jackson State)

• #14 WR Jyaire Shorter (North Texas)

• #16 JACK Stephen Sings V (Liberty)

• #30 LB Larry Nixon III (North Texas)

• #35 JACK Jalen McLeod (App State)

• #63 OL Jaden Muskrat (Tulsa)

2023 CLASS

• #15 QB Hank Brown

• #18 CB Colton Hood

• #19 S Sylvester Smith

• #20 CB JC Hart

• #23 RB Jeremiah Cobb

• #24 S Terrance Love

• #25 CB Champ Anthony

• #27 CB Tyler Scott

• #29 S C.J. Johnson

• #45 DL Darron Reed Jr.

• #79 OT Tyler Johnson

CHANGES

• CB Nehemiah Pritchett: #18 —> #1

• DE Wilky Denaud: #52 —> #40

• NT Justin Rogers: #97 —> #52

• Thanks 1

yahoo.com

Does Shane Hooks’ first season at Auburn have breakout potential?

Taylor Jones
2–3 minutes

When Deion Sanders announced that he would be leaving Jackson State to take the same role at Colorado last December, he was poised to bring many of his playmakers with him to Boulder.

One player, however, did not make the trip.

Shane Hooks was the go-to target for Shedeur Sanders last season at Jackson State, as he led the team in receptions (64), receiving yards (748), and receiving touchdowns (10). So it was easy to see why Hugh Freeze and staff were eager to get him on campus.

They succeeded, and now Hooks is a member of the Tigers’ receiving corps. He will be a giant asset to Auburn’s offense and will complement Ja'Varrius Johnson in the receiving unit. Hooks’ potential on the Plains has one outlet predicting the newcomer to have a “breakout” season.

Roll Tide Wire recently selected a potential “breakout” player for each SEC program heading into the 2023 season and has listed Hooks as Auburn’s representative.

There will be a new No. 1 wide receiver on the Plains in 2023. Jackson State transfer Shane Hooks has the frame and skillset to become the go-to wide receiver option for quarterback Robby Ashford. At 6-foot-4, Hooks uses his size to overmatch opposing defenders. Not to mention, Hooks has a track background. Meaning he has enough speed to blow by defenders. In two seasons at Jackson State, Hooks hauled in 80 receptions for 947 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Hooks is one of several pieces from the transfer portal that is expected to become immediate contributors to the Auburn offense, joining offensive linemen Avery Jones and Gunner Britton, and quarterback Payton Thorne.

More Football!

4-star athlete Jalewis Solomon puts Auburn in top 5

Jersey numbers for spring transfers unveiled

Auburn Tigers Snapshot Profile: No. 12 Holden Geriner

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. You can also follow Taylor on Twitter @TaylorJones__

Story originally appeared on Auburn Wire

Top 5: Defensive players

James returns an interception for a touchdown against WKU. (John Reed/USA Today images)

AUBURN | With a new coaching staff and 40 newcomers, there’s a lot of unknowns going into the 2023 season.

Below is a look at the projected top five players on defense, which includes three defensive backs.

5. DL MOSIAH NASILI-KITE

The Tigers needed immediate help along the defensive line and Nasili-Kite stepped up with a strong spring shortly after transferring from Maryland. He has a lot of quickness on his 6-foot-2 and 285-pound frame and is a high-effort player. Nasili-Kite projects mainly as a defensive tackle but can help out at defensive end if needed. He had 83 tackles, 14.5 tackles-for-loss and nine sacks over the previous three seasons for the Terrapins.

4. CB NEHEMIAH PRITCHETT

Pritchett has played in 42 career games including 31 starts in four seasons at Auburn. He’s totaled 93 tackles, 4.5 tackles-for-loss, one sack, two interceptions and 25 pass breakups. He returned a blocked field goal 80 yards for a touchdown against Alabama State in 2020. He had one of his best games in Auburn’s 13-10 win over Texas A&M last fall with two tackles, a sack for a 13-yard loss, forced fumble and pass breakup.

3. DB KEIONTE SCOTT

Scott, 6-foot and 188 pounds, signed with Auburn out of junior college last year and immediately stepped into the starting lineup at nickel. He finished his sophomore season with 53 tackles, four tackles-for-loss, one sack, one interception and four pass breakups. The versatile Scott also returned 12 punts and can slide over to cornerback when needed.

2. DL MARCUS HARRIS

Harris is Auburn’s top returning defensive lineman after totaling 30 tackles, 6.5 tackles-for-loss and two sacks as a junior. The Montgomery, Ala., native transferred from Kansas before the 2021 season. Harris, 6-foot-3 and 295 pounds, started at defensive tackle last season but may need to play primarily defensive end as a senior due to AU’s lack of depth at the position.

1. CB D.J. JAMES

James transferred from Oregon last year and immediately stepped into the starting lineup and earned 2nd-team All-SEC honors. He totaled 37 tackles, one tackle-for-loss, one interception, which he returned 27 yards for a touchdown, and nine pass breakups last fall. PFF ranked James as AU’s top defensive player last season. Both James and Pritchett considered declaring for the draft last year before opting to return for their senior seasons.

8 potential breakout performers for Auburn in 2023

Auburn football needs several returning players to step up for the 2023 season, the first for Hugh Freeze with the Tigers.

Jason Caldwell85 mins

While there is a huge group of newcomers on both sides of the ball for Hugh Freeze heading into his first season as the head coach of the Auburn Tigers, there are still plenty of players that have an opportunity to have breakout seasons in 2023. We take a look at some of the guys that could be in for bigger years than they had last season for the Tigers, starting at the running back position.

Damari Alston--Working hard on his game and his body, Alston is up to 5-10, 209 and is probably faster than he was at this time last year. With great feet and vision, he has always been a guy that can make people miss. With his added size and strength, Alston could become a true every-down back for the Tigers and give them another big weapon in the run game. Last season he carried the ball just 14 times for 85 yards.

Camden Brown--Catching nine passes for 123 yards and a pair of touchdowns last season, Brown gave a glimpse of what he’s capable of in his first season on the Plains. A dynamic personality to go along with a really talented receiver, Brown has all the qualities that Freeze is looking for at the position. With a new offense designed to find more explosive plays down the field, Brown could become a key for the Auburn offense.

Oscar Chapman--It’s hard to talk about Chapman having a breakout performance after the way he’s punted during his career at Auburn, but he’s averaged 43.4 yards per punt in three seasons while using the rugby punt almost exclusively. He’s got a lot more leg available and that could be shown this season as he transitions to more of a classic punting style at times. Already a weapon, he could turn into a true game-changer for the Tigers this season.

Alex McPherson--Going 6-7 last season with a long field goal of 51 yards, McPherson showed why he was the nation’s top high school kicker coming out of Fort Payne High. That came after he was thrust into duty because of an injury to Anders Carlson. Now it’s McPherson’s job and he should be ready to immediately become one of the top kickers in the Southeastern Conference to complete a strong kicking game for the Tigers.

Cam Riley--Another player that has shown flashes of what he’s capable of in his time at Auburn, Riley weighed 209 in his first season with the Tigers, but checks in at 242 pounds heading into the 2023 season. In a defense where the linebackers should have a chance to make plays all over the field, Riley is someone that could become a threat as a pass rusher for the Tigers. That would definitely take his game to the next level.

Enyce Sledge--After redshirting last season, Sledge has put in the work and looks ready to take his shot at getting some playing time this fall for the Tigers. The middle is one of the deepest positions on the roster in terms of numbers, but Auburn is still searching for someone that can become a playmaker. While Justin Rogers and Jayson Jones may be tough to unseat, Sledge could make some noise as a pass rusher in the middle this fall.

Robert Woodyard--While some players spend their first year in college getting bigger, for redshirt freshman linebacker year number one has meant going from 245 to 234 as he’s gotten back to full speed following a knee injury as a senior at Williamson High. Getting his speed back means the physical linebacker can get downhill in the run game while going sideline to sideline as well. Woodyard is set to make an impact this fall after playing in just four games last season.

Jeremiah Wright--I don’t know of a player that could improve his stock as much as Wright this season. Going back and forth between offense and defense since he arrived on campus, the Selma native has finally been able to settle in at guard. With the combination of size, athletic ability and attitude, Wright has the ability to become a dominant player for the Tigers in 2023.