What really caused the drop off?

auburnatl1

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

Yeah, I think the "Auburn just gets in its own way" narrative is vastly overstated.

Sorry if this is esoteric. Generally any “free market” will only support 2 t 4 dominant competitors (ie in the us - att, Verizon, t mobile or ford, gm, Chrysler).  Theory is called the  “Rule of 3”. Point being you can only have a very limited number of dominant programs in any market (recruiting region.).  Everyone else is mid tier. Once that limit is hit - for someone to rise to dominant, someone else HAS to fall.  There’s actually pretty nerdy math behind this. Which is why I said UGA killed Gus.  They rose and we almost instantly fell.  And for us to rise again - at least 1 program has to decline. Again, Imo uga should be our #1 picking a fight target.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

How so?  Every coach since 1980 has essentially ruined their own career.

Dye - Caught Cheating
Bowden - Skiiing and Cheerleaders
Tubs - Hated PTB and quit trying/recruiting
Gene - Believed in Energy Vampires & spying
Gus - Refused to change anything

Maybe hugh will break the cycle

I would add that we have also floundered with some AD and University President decisions that haven’t helped. Steve Leath, Jay Jacobs, and Allen Greene come to mind. 

• Like 1

On 6/28/2023 at 4:40 PM, weagl1 said:

Auburn played hell when we didn’t listen to Pat Dye in 2012 and didn’t hire Kirby Smart when he was available.  Instead we ended up with Gus.  Looked like genius for one year (2013) but its been pretty much downhill from there.  People think Kirby might have left us for Georgia when Richt was fired but I doubt it.  Dye didn’t leave is when Dooley retired.  A coach spends several years building relationships and getting a program headed in the right direction they get reluctant to leave just when they start reaping the benefits.  Starting over in this league is tough and it seems like we have been in a constant state of starting over since Dye resigned over the Ramsey mess.  Tubby had a good run for a while for a few years but I think a lot of that was from Bammer being down while they were dealing with their own coaching fiascos prior to hiring Saban.  

Hell, I wanted Spurrier when Chizik was fired. But yeah Kirby would've been the safest hire long term imo

On 6/28/2023 at 5:30 PM, Gowebb11 said:

Our current trio of Pres, AD, and HC is finally competent and aligned.

This is what I’m focused on!!!   Rehashing how we got here again isn’t interesting anymore.   
Im excited about our future as a program.   It may take a few years, but we are most definitely moving in the right direction!!!

• Like 7

16 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

This is what I’m focused on!!!   Rehashing how we got here again isn’t interesting anymore.   
Im excited about our future as a program.   It may take a few years, but we are most definitely moving in the right direction!!!

Preach on brother!!!