Has every position group improved over last year?

gr82b4au

Of course we don’t know yet because we have not played a game, But I find it interesting when looking at the roster that “on paper” just about every position group has been upgraded. 

The only one that maybe has not is the defensive end/Jack position and that is a wildcard. 

• Like 2

I believe you answered your own question in the opening post. I think there has been upgrades in some positions, but others are players from lower divisions or conferences  that we’ll only get answers through play on the field.

RB isn't an upgrade. 

Edge is kinda it's own beast and not an upgrade.  DL is probably deeper, but I don't know if the replacements for Wooden/Hall are better with Harris/Jones.

So, players lost during the Harsin regime and players added by CHF trying to fill the holes from the Harsin regime,

Yep, we are better off.

As to whether the new team (about half CHF newbies plus Harsin leftovers) will be "improved over last year"? Well, that remains to be seen.

I sure HOPE so!

12 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Of course we don’t know yet because we have not played a game, But I find it interesting when looking at the roster that “on paper” just about every position group has been upgraded. 

The only one that maybe has not is the defensive end/Jack position and that is a wildcard. 

i look for huge improvement for the receivers. we were really bad last year. our oline coach is rated the number ten coach in the country for his postition.we got stocked up some so i believe we will be way better than some people might think. and one of the  articles i posted this week says we are stocked on the dline. i think we upgrade at qb with the new guy or a new and improved robby. folks are already saying we have one of the best rb rooms in the country. we got that new frosh coming in,and again, with an improved line i expect bigger and better holes to run through. i think we are loaded in the secondary. now can these guys put it together with this new system? i have no idea. that is a worry. on the flip side of that is i am not sure the opposing coaches know what to expect. i also think coach wants to get back to the top and prove he is a great coach that made a mistake. i am excited because i know we are heading in the right direction now. i know nothing about our strength and conditioning so i hope he is top shelf.

• Like 1

well hell i was on the wrong thread and still made some sense....................grins

• Love 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

well hell i was on the wrong thread and still made some sense....................grins

I was just going to say this was one of your best posts and then you admitted you were lost. 😝 

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

I love it! You are the realest man I know, never change 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I love it! You are the realest man I know, never change 

i am one strange cat bird but i have always tried to be honest. i have told an ex her hair looked great when it looked like she had been ravaged by a band of wild squirrels and when they finished they smoked one and made a nest in her new hairdo...........lol.  there is a reason i am three times divorced. women love me they just do not love me long..........

• Haha 1

Head Coach- Yes x 1000

QB- Yes

RB- Yes, as long as JH is available. The quality of our depth to 4 deep is improved and they added Battie to the mix.

OL- Yes, remains to be seen how "mean" these guys are or whether they can handle SEC DLs but from reports things are looking positive.

TE- Yes

WR- Yes, bigger receivers with experience were added which is a Freeze main stay. A better OL and offensive scheme will help them too.

DL- Push, we lost 2 studs, added back a couple more and overall might have more depth.

LBs- Push, the experienced transfers will hold the key to a yes.

CBs- Yes

S- Push

Ps & Ks- About the same.

Now Freeze has to mold the 42 new players into part of a cohesive team.  

Edited by IronMan70
  • Like 1

I think RB and DL are a little worse. Maybe LB too. Safety about the same. Everything else is an improvement. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, cbo said:

I think RB and DL are a little worse. Maybe LB too. Safety about the same. Everything else is an improvement. 

The frustrating thing is that after 6 months of frantic recruiting and portal work, we’re about back where we were when we fired Gus (with the exception of maybe the OL).

• Like 2

15 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

The frustrating thing is that after 6 months of frantic recruiting and portal work, we’re about back where we were when we fired Gus (with the exception of maybe the OL).

Not frustrating at all. Shows progress. Gus was an 8 win coach . I would love to get back to that standard after the last two years and build up 

16 hours ago, cbo said:

the ends worry me on D but some writer said we were loaded. running backs i believe we improve. i have no idea about the secondary.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DAG said:

Not frustrating at all. Shows progress. Gus was an 8 win coach . I would love to get back to that standard after the last two years and build up 

we are what 14 games a year now including the bowl and not the cfp right? i think ten should be our standard. i just think our staff is so much better they will surprise a lot of folks.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

we are what 14 games a year now including the bowl and not the cfp right? i think ten should be our standard. i just think our staff is so much better they will surprise a lot of folks.

10 games can be a thing but we need to be able to consistently do that. We haven’t been able to do that in our history, so I am taking baby steps.. Are we 14 games a year? Also, the college football playoffs will change dynamics drastically with the inclusion of super conferences 

• Like 2

On 6/23/2023 at 2:32 PM, auburnatl1 said:

Sad but true. 

On 6/24/2023 at 6:46 AM, aubiefifty said:

the ends worry me on D but some writer said we were loaded. running backs i believe we improve. i have no idea about the secondary.

I don't think you lose Tank and get better at RB, regardless of depth. Tank remains underrated. 

Freeze has done a good job addressing the problem, but we are not loading at D end/edge. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cbo said:

Tank remains underrated

Extremely. It's almost disrespectful, lol.  Guy ran behind the worst stretches of OL in modern history. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Extremely. It's almost disrespectful, lol.  Guy ran behind the worst stretches of OL in modern history. 

ok just to be clear here and i am not crawfishing. tank was a great running back. he had a horrible line and i feel like he was held back. i think we are so improved on the line i do think we do better. maybe i did not state it better? i will never forget when morale was low last year he bought every single teammate some kinda beats or air buds and i thought it was a wonderful gesture.

• Like 1

Since the question was groups, then I don't see how the RB group isn't worse. Tank is gone and nobody knows the fate of Hunter. Unless a true freshman and a 5' 7", 160 pound transfer from a G-5 school come through big-time, RB has to be worse.

We lost two studs off the DL. Will transfers make up for that? Only if we're very, very lucky.

QB, among other groups, should be improved.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

ok just to be clear here and i am not crawfishing. tank was a great running back. he had a horrible line and i feel like he was held back. i think we are so improved on the line i do think we do better. maybe i did not state it better? i will never forget when morale was low last year he bought every single teammate some kinda beats or air buds and i thought it was a wonderful gesture.

My comment wasn't necessarily directed at you....but to your clarification I agree.  I think we're going to have a drastically better OL and offense.  That's probably going to lead to better stats (for everyone).  Does that mean they are actually better?  Talent can be lower between two players, but the lower talent player could produce better.

I think Hunter is a good RB, so I don't want it to come off at that.  Him vs Tank are just two different RBs.  He's a home run RB, as we've seen.  It's something Tank doesn't have...he's not going to outrun everyone of the field.  But I think tank has more power/drive/vision and consistently make something out of nothing.  When given room to run, Hunter will make the most of it.  His weakness often seemed to be at the LOS, in heavy traffic, driving for a few yards when there was nothing.  He'd lose a yard where Tank might gain 2.

I think Hunter will have better single season stats than Tank ever had.  Better OL, better offense around him, best coaching (I hope) that we've had in a long time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

vision and consistently make something out of nothing. 

This is where we are going to have to disagree. I do believe tank can make something out of nothing because he is low to the ground, strong and not afraid of taking contact. My biggest complaint about tank was his tendency to either not go through the right runners gap and/or bouncing everything to the outside rather than sticking his heel in the ground and accelerating through the hole. This is where I find JH is better at and why it seems as if he is a better homerun runner. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DAG said:

This is where we are going to have to disagree. I do believe tank can make something out of nothing because he is low to the ground, strong and not afraid of taking contact. My biggest complaint about tank was his tendency to either not go through the right runners gap and/or bouncing everything to the outside rather than sticking his heel in the ground and accelerating through the hole. This is where I find JH is better at and why it seems as if he is a better homerun runner. 

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I can't recall many long runs from JH where he had to break tackles, make people miss, etc.  Usually just massive holes he exploded through. 

Also interesting about the "lower to the ground" comment b/c he's taller.  Maybe JH will use some of that leverage he showed off during the offseason.  😉

Edited by W.E.D
  • Haha 3