6.14.23Football Articles

aubiefifty

Hugh Freeze named one of the most impactful hires off the offseason

JD McCarthy
2–3 minutes

bb6451920dd7f3331af9768a01d3997b

After the Auburn Tigers moved on from Bryan Harsin during last season, the pressure was on the Athletics Director John Cohen to nail Auburn’s next head coach.

He ultimately settled on Hugh Freeze and while he hasn’t coached a game yet, the early reports are promising on. He’s plucked several exciting players from the transfer portal and has the Tigers in the mix for several impressive recruits.

These moves caused Brad Crawford of 247Sports to name him his third most impactful coaching hire of the offseason and someone he expects to win quickly.

Look how quickly Freeze, a coach who has beaten Saban more than once as a head coach in the SEC, has altered the trajectory at Auburn in his infancy on The Plains. Not only have the Tigers formed a notable coaching staff around him, but Freeze landed an elite transfer class this cycle, including a rebuilt offensive front and several playmakers at the wide receiver position — not to mention grabbing Michigan State quarterback Payton Thorne for help in that room. Freeze has won at every coaching stop and has done more with less at his last two jobs — Ole Miss and Liberty. He’ll get the best talent he’s ever had at Auburn and win very quickly as a result.

The Freeze era will officially start on Sept. 2 when the Tigers host UMass in Jordan-Hare Stadium to start the season. The game will start at 2:30 p.m. CT and will be aired on ESPN.

• Love 1

Speedy instate WR Bryce Cain commits to Auburn

Christian Clemente
~3 minutes

Bryce Cain went into his visit and Elite Camp at Auburn with Ole Miss holding a slight lead before his decision. But by the time Friday was over, it wasn't even close.

The speedy in-state wide receiver, who ran a 4.40 at Auburn, has announced his commitment to Auburn.

"I just think it felt like home," Cain said. "The coaches can develop and I feel like they can take me to the next level. I love it here.  It just feels like home. It feels like the best place for me. I can fit in with everybody. It’s great, I love it."

In fact, the choice between the Tigers and the Rebels didn't end up being a close one.

"The tour, really," Cain said. "It just blew Ole Miss out of the water, I ain’t going to lie. The camp, everything. The coaches."

Being primarily recruited by Marcus Davis, Cain showcased his speed and skillset during Friday's Elite Camp. After the camp and getting to spend more time with Davis and head coach Hugh Freeze, he gave them the good news.

"Yeah, it was upstairs in his office," Cain said. "They were shocked that I just committed on the spot. (I told them)  ‘Hey War Eagle, War Eagle. I’m committed, I’m committed all the way. I’m coming to Auburn.’"

Cain's commitment kickstarts what's already been a productive month of getting talent and top targets on campus, now Auburn's staff adds one to the commitment list. In the industry-generated 247Sports Composite, Cain is the No. 678 overall player, No. 87 wide receiver and No. 32 player from Alabama.

At 5-foot-11 and 170 pounds, Auburn's staff fell in love with Cain's blazing speed and ability to make plays in the slot.

"I’m a small guy, so slot receiver is going to be the best for me," Cain said. "I’m really fast, so it’s going to get a lot of people open. We’re going to win these games. I’m going to be one of the dominant slot receivers. I’m going to get the ball a lot according to Walker White."

White and Cain worked together during Friday's camp, building up a bond on and off the field.

"Oh yeah, I think I have all the chemistry I need with him," Cain said. "We’re going to be a good duo."

From Baker (Ala.), Cain plans to shut down his recruitment, saying, "This is it."

His message to the fanbase?

"Hey War Eagle, I’m finna get after it," Cain said. "Y’all going to see me on that field and I’m going to play hard."

Auburn now has six commitments in the 2024 cycle as Cain joins White, tight end Martavious Collins, defensive backs A'Mon Lane and Jayden Lewis and running back J'Marion Burnette. 

Pair of signees yet to enroll for Auburn summer workouts

Nathan King

2–3 minutes

Hugh Freeze told reporters last month that he academics were a holdup for the enrollment of two members of his inaugural recruiting class

Auburn is still missing a pair of signees from its 2023 class.

Set to enroll with the program this summer, freshman receiver Daquayvious Sorey and JUCO defensive lineman Quientrail Jamison-Travis have still yet to report to campus, as reflected in the team's updated 2023 roster, which omitted both players' names.

Hugh Freeze told reporters last month that he academics were a holdup for the enrollment of two members of his inaugural recruiting class with the program, though he did not name the signees.

"I feel good about one of them," Freeze said. "The other, truthfully, I have a hard time knowing what to feel, really."

Auburn began summer workouts May 30.

Sources informed Auburn Undercover that Jamison-Travis is still expected to join the team, while Sorey's path to doing so will be significantly more difficult.

At 6-foot-4 and 280 pounds, Jamison-Travis is rated as the nation's No. 3 JUCO defensive lineman by 247Sports, and he committed to Auburn over Penn State. Last season at Iowa Western Community College, he logged 45 tackles, 13.5 tackles for loss and 8.5 sacks.

The No. 33 receiver recruit in the class, Sorey is as athletic as they come, and he chose Auburn over Florida last fall, then stuck with the new staff and first-year receivers coach Marcus Davis.

Commitment analysis: What Auburn is getting in versatile DB Kensley Faustin

Auburn continues to add talent for the 2024 class with the commitment of a Florida prospect.

Predicting Auburn’s 2024 SEC slate, vol. 1

Taylor Jones
4–5 minutes

8ed60d25d9f4754616768f0805dcce01

The Oklahoma Sooners and the Texas Longhorns will officially join the SEC in July 2024. To prepare for this addition, the SEC officially announced that it will keep its traditional eight-game model when it comes to conference scheduling.

However, there will be one slight change. The conference will scrap divisional play in favor of having the two best teams in the conference at the regular season’s end meeting in Atlanta for the SEC Championship Game.

The Auburn Tigers will learn its eight-game fate on Wednesday, June 14 as the SEC will release the 2024 conference schedule for each program as part of a primetime special on SEC Network.

Ahead of Wednesday’s reveal, Auburn Wire writers will each submit their picks for Auburn’s eight-game slate. Kicking things off is Auburn Wire managing editor Taylor Jones.

Here’s a look at how Jones sees Auburn’s 2024 SEC schedule taking shape.

at Alabama

Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Let’s go ahead and get the no-brainer out of the way. The SEC’s eight-game slate will allow each team to lock in one rival on its’ schedule. For Auburn, that will be the Alabama Crimson Tide. The only question regarding this game, is the network that the game will be broadcasted on. CBS’ contract with the SEC ends following the 2023 season, which opens the door for many broadcast possibilities.

at Georgia

b3c94e00b1a329a1b874e9bd3642317f

The annual game with Georgia, in 2024 anyway, is in jeopardy due to the “one permanent opponent” rule that each team in the SEC gets. But due to the longevity of this rivalry game, I expect the SEC to keep this game alive.

at Mississippi State

39a1fd25975cd53489e286f879af0a8a

From a geography standpoint, I see Mississippi State finding its way onto Auburn’s schedule. Auburn holds a large advantage in this series, but both teams have won five games over the other over the last ten seasons. It would be a competitive game for Auburn.

at Texas

686fb5c4a25fb37b6edf3647f09443e8

I expect Auburn to get the chance to play newcomer Texas in 2024 in Austin. The Longhorns hold a 5-3 advantage over Auburn, but the Tigers have won the last two meetings. The only worry I have is that Auburn may have to travel to Texas early in the season, having to compete in the grueling heat that the Lone Star state exhibits in September.

vs. Florida

7c9f165311192bb7d3ecbbdaa06eedd5

Florida is an opponent that I wish Auburn could play more often. The first-ever Auburn game I attended was in 2001 when Auburn upset the No. 1 Gators at Jordan-Hare Stadium. It seems that each Auburn-Florida game is enterainment-filled, and would be a fun experience for each fan base.

vs. Kentucky

b4332a0d31f1fe9a51e9665f16421304

According to SEC commissioner Greg Sankey, he hopes that each SEC team will have the chance to play other teams within the conference more often. Auburn has only played Kentucky six times since 1995, with both teams only playing twice in the 90s. If Sankey’s intentions come true, then Auburn should definitely play Kentucky in 2024.

vs. Ole Miss

96b8967cdca6295ef9664a6f0db500c8

Something tells me that the SEC will try to sneak another fellow SEC West team onto Auburn’s schedule. The best chance to get that spot is Ole Miss. Arkansas and LSU will more than likely get a strong dose of Oklahoma, Texas, and Texas A&M, which will limit their chances to play Auburn.

vs. Vanderbilt

John Reed-USA TODAY Sports

Since the SEC expansion that welcomed Arkansas and South Carolina into the conference in 1992, Auburn and Vanderbilt have played ten times, most recently in 2016 at Jordan-Hare Stadium. The Tigers and Commodores are set to square off in Nashville in 2023, but Vanderbilt is due to return to the Plains. Why not in 2023?

Story originally appeared on Auburn Wire

si.com

Nehemiah Pritchett "loves" Defensive Coordinator Ron Roberts defense

Andrew Stefaniak
2–3 minutes

Nehemiah Pritchett believes Ron Robert's defense is "player friendly."

When Coach Freeze was brought on as the head man on the Plains, he chose Ron Roberts to lead the defense. 

The question was, how quickly would the team adjust to this new defense?

Auburn corner Nehemiah Pritchett joined the On To Victory Podcast to discuss this topic. 

When asked about the new defense by Zac Blackerby, Pritchett responded, "I love the new defense. I feel like it's player friendly. Me being here, I've had three different coordinators, so I've kinda picked different things from different DC's. Most of it is the same, but they call it different stuff. It makes it easier to pick up on it that type of way. But I think it's a plug-and-play defense. We have a really versatile secondary, so at times, I think you can put Keionte (Scott) at corner and me at nickel. I think we'll be all right. We'll be fine." 

It's good to hear that everyone is adjusting to Coach Roberts defense quickly. 

This secondary will be elite in 2023, so hearing that all of these guys are comfortable with what their roles will be has to make Auburn fans feel good about the upcoming season. 

Pritchett and DJ James will be one of the best one-two punches in the country this season. 

Watch out for this Auburn defense in 2023 under coach Ron Roberts.

Who are Auburn's top defensive players according to Pro Football Focus?

Taylor Jones
4–5 minutes

Looking ahead to what Auburn’s defense could look like in 2023, it is clear that the Tigers will be heavily experienced in the secondary.

Auburn’s front seven needed the most attention following the departures of Derick Hall, Owen Pappoe, and Colby Wooden to the NFL. Auburn also lost Jeffrey M'ba and Dylan Brooks, two players that were expected to fill those roles, to the transfer portal.

Buy Tigers Tickets

Auburn added players such as Elijah McAllister, Jalen McLeod, and Justin Rogers to play key roles in the front seven, but Auburn’s secondary will be filled with homegrown talent.

Players such as D.J. James, Nehemiah Pritchett, and Keionte Scott return to Auburn’s secondary. They should take a step forward and capitalize on last season’s performances in 2023.

Auburn fans can expect the aforementioned names to have solid seasons based on Pro Football Focus data.

From solid pass rushers to those who give opposing receivers fits, here’s a look at Auburn’s top defensive players ahead of the 2023 season based on last season’s PFF grade.

50bdd2b93ffe4204a7c9883318cfeb7e.jpg

AP Photo/Stew Milne

2022 PFF Grade: 63.9

Cayden Bridges appeared in all 12 games last season for Auburn, playing in a total of 386 snaps. In 15 chances, he made 12 tackles while missing just three and allowing just two touchdowns.

1-auburn-20.jpg

2022 PFF Grade: 66.4

In 12 games last season, Jayson Jones made 12 tackles with just one miss in 370 snaps. His highest graded attribute was overall tackling, where he graded out at 74.0.

be10aee8d380460d82ebba2f7c274a57.jpg

AP Photo/Brandon Wade

2022 PFF Grade: 66.6

Larry Nixon III brings plenty of experience with him from North Texas. He played in 14 games last season for the Mean Green and made 82 tackles, which was the second-highest on the team behind fellow linebacker KD Davis.

be773800eb9c4ccc89a54a0ed962bee7.jpg

AP Photo/Phelan M. Ebenhack

2022 PFF Grade: 66.9

Elijah McAllister only played 258 snaps last season for Vanderbilt, but he made noise with his limited opportunities. He made 16 tackles with just three misses, and he recorded seven QB hurries.

USATSI_19339172.jpg

2022 PFF Grade: 70.6

Nehemiah Pritchett is one of the most experienced returning defensive backs that the Tigers will use this season. He participated in 676 snaps over 12 games in 2022 and broke up eight passes. Opposing receivers also caught just 28 of the 58 passes thrown in his direction.

20230301_FB_SpringPractice_Rogers97_DG_0

Photo by Declan Greene

2022 PFF Grade: 70.9

Justin Rogers was a top-10 defender at Kentucky last season by making 21 tackles in 23 opportunities. He was credited with 11 total pressures last season, which goes hand-in-hand with his 70.9 rush defense grade.

USATSI_19322050.jpg

Jake Crandall/The Montgomery Advertiser

2022 PFF Grade: 71.0

Jaylin Simpson is the highest-rated returning safety that fits the criteria of at least 11 games played. He saw action in 12 games last season, totaling 556 snaps. He made 31 tackles with just four misses, and opposing receivers caught just 55.6% of passes thrown in his direction.

1244730744.jpg

Michael Chang/Getty Images

2022 PFF Grade: 71.7

Out of the players to make the list, Keionte Scott is Auburn’s returning leading tackler. He made 42 stops last season, trailing just Owen Pappoe, Cam Riley, and Derick Hall in the category. His highest overall grade is in coverage, where he scored a 71.0 last season.

d185413517dc47539f3a8a4f4841621a.jpg

AP Photo/Stew Milne

2022 PFF Grade: 82.3

Auburn’s highest-graded returning player is D.J. James. His initial season on the Plains after transferring into the program from Oregon was a memorable one, as he allowed opposing receivers to catch just 40.7% of passes, and he allowed just two touchdowns. He was second on the team in pass breakups with six, trailing only Nehemiah Pritchett (8). Expect James to be just as impactful in 2023.

4a07956bc300413a979257a28ee8fbe5.jpg

AP Photo/Nell Redmond

2022 PFF Grade: 86.6

Jalen McLeodwas Appalachian State’s third-highest-graded defender last season due in part to his 37 total pressures, which included six sacks. He transfers into a defense that will benefit from his pass-rush ability. He received a pass-rush grade of 90.7, which would have led Auburn’s 2022 defense by nearly seven points.

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Who are Auburn's top defensive players according to Pro Football Focus?

Taylor Jones
4–5 minutes

Looking ahead to what Auburn’s defense could look like in 2023, it is clear that the Tigers will be heavily experienced in the secondary.

Auburn’s front seven needed the most attention following the departures of Derick Hall, Owen Pappoe, and Colby Wooden to the NFL. Auburn also lost Jeffrey M'ba and Dylan Brooks, two players that were expected to fill those roles, to the transfer portal.

Buy Tigers Tickets

Auburn added players such as Elijah McAllister, Jalen McLeod, and Justin Rogers to play key roles in the front seven, but Auburn’s secondary will be filled with homegrown talent.

Players such as D.J. James, Nehemiah Pritchett, and Keionte Scott return to Auburn’s secondary. They should take a step forward and capitalize on last season’s performances in 2023.

Auburn fans can expect the aforementioned names to have solid seasons based on Pro Football Focus data.

From solid pass rushers to those who give opposing receivers fits, here’s a look at Auburn’s top defensive players ahead of the 2023 season based on last season’s PFF grade.

50bdd2b93ffe4204a7c9883318cfeb7e.jpg

AP Photo/Stew Milne

2022 PFF Grade: 63.9

Cayden Bridges appeared in all 12 games last season for Auburn, playing in a total of 386 snaps. In 15 chances, he made 12 tackles while missing just three and allowing just two touchdowns.

1-auburn-20.jpg

2022 PFF Grade: 66.4

In 12 games last season, Jayson Jones made 12 tackles with just one miss in 370 snaps. His highest graded attribute was overall tackling, where he graded out at 74.0.

be10aee8d380460d82ebba2f7c274a57.jpg

AP Photo/Brandon Wade

2022 PFF Grade: 66.6

Larry Nixon III brings plenty of experience with him from North Texas. He played in 14 games last season for the Mean Green and made 82 tackles, which was the second-highest on the team behind fellow linebacker KD Davis.

be773800eb9c4ccc89a54a0ed962bee7.jpg

AP Photo/Phelan M. Ebenhack

2022 PFF Grade: 66.9

Elijah McAllister only played 258 snaps last season for Vanderbilt, but he made noise with his limited opportunities. He made 16 tackles with just three misses, and he recorded seven QB hurries.

USATSI_19339172.jpg

2022 PFF Grade: 70.6

Nehemiah Pritchett is one of the most experienced returning defensive backs that the Tigers will use this season. He participated in 676 snaps over 12 games in 2022 and broke up eight passes. Opposing receivers also caught just 28 of the 58 passes thrown in his direction.

20230301_FB_SpringPractice_Rogers97_DG_0

Photo by Declan Greene

2022 PFF Grade: 70.9

Justin Rogers was a top-10 defender at Kentucky last season by making 21 tackles in 23 opportunities. He was credited with 11 total pressures last season, which goes hand-in-hand with his 70.9 rush defense grade.

USATSI_19322050.jpg

Jake Crandall/The Montgomery Advertiser

2022 PFF Grade: 71.0

Jaylin Simpson is the highest-rated returning safety that fits the criteria of at least 11 games played. He saw action in 12 games last season, totaling 556 snaps. He made 31 tackles with just four misses, and opposing receivers caught just 55.6% of passes thrown in his direction.

1244730744.jpg

Michael Chang/Getty Images

2022 PFF Grade: 71.7

Out of the players to make the list, Keionte Scott is Auburn’s returning leading tackler. He made 42 stops last season, trailing just Owen Pappoe, Cam Riley, and Derick Hall in the category. His highest overall grade is in coverage, where he scored a 71.0 last season.

d185413517dc47539f3a8a4f4841621a.jpg

AP Photo/Stew Milne

2022 PFF Grade: 82.3

Auburn’s highest-graded returning player is D.J. James. His initial season on the Plains after transferring into the program from Oregon was a memorable one, as he allowed opposing receivers to catch just 40.7% of passes, and he allowed just two touchdowns. He was second on the team in pass breakups with six, trailing only Nehemiah Pritchett (8). Expect James to be just as impactful in 2023.

4a07956bc300413a979257a28ee8fbe5.jpg

AP Photo/Nell Redmond

2022 PFF Grade: 86.6

Jalen McLeodwas Appalachian State’s third-highest-graded defender last season due in part to his 37 total pressures, which included six sacks. He transfers into a defense that will benefit from his pass-rush ability. He received a pass-rush grade of 90.7, which would have led Auburn’s 2022 defense by nearly seven points.

Fifty, why is it that the pics always look like what we'd see if we'd been smoking what you were smoking? :poke:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

Fifty, why is it that the pics always look like what we'd see if we'd been smoking what you were smoking? :poke:

Need to post as plain text and it will omit the pics.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gr82be said:

i need a new mouse and keyboard. if that is not it i have no idea

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

i need a new mouse and keyboard. if that is not it i have no idea

If you post in plain text it will omit the pics.

27 minutes ago, toddc said:

If you post in plain text it will omit the pics.

thanx.i understand this. some pics are must see. what i do not understand is some are buzzed looking and some are not. it is a job i can tell you. but i use a ball type mouse and it is wore out so maybe this has something to do with it. i will get it in less than a week. but some audio files? some will pick up and some will not. some i can link and are easy and some are not. it is a lot to deal with but i just want to feel like i am contributing something. and look guys i know some of you can do it better but chooses not to. when someone steps up to do it with out all my little screw ups i will let them have it. it is a lot of work. more when you are learning as ya go like me. the other down side is no one wants to discuss articles piled in one thread for some reason. shrugs. i will keep doing it as long as i can.

6 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

thanx.i understand this. some pics are must see. what i do not understand is some are buzzed looking and some are not. it is a job i can tell you. but i use a ball type mouse and it is wore out so maybe this has something to do with it. i will get it in less than a week. but some audio files? some will pick up and some will not. some i can link and are easy and some are not. it is a lot to deal with but i just want to feel like i am contributing something. and look guys i know some of you can do it better but chooses not to. when someone steps up to do it with out all my little screw ups i will let them have it. it is a lot of work. more when you are learning as ya go like me. the other down side is no one wants to discuss articles piled in one thread for some reason. shrugs. i will keep doing it as long as i can.

Yeah I had the same learning curve when I started posting articles too. I wish there was an IT fix so the pictures would not be omitted but if I post the pictures then the writing doesn’t show up in dark mode.

I wasn’t dissing your work but just trying to help.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, toddc said:

Yeah I had the same learning curve when I started posting articles too. I wish there was an IT fix so the pictures would not be omitted but if I post the pictures then the writing doesn’t show up in dark mode.

I wasn’t dissing your work but just trying to help.

yessir i understand and it means a lot. if i ever catch a break i plan on taking a basic puter course somewhere.