6.11.23 Football Articles

aubiefifty

What to wear: Auburn football releases gear color guide for 2023 season

Lance Dawe
2–3 minutes

Want to know what color to wear for each game this season? Check it out here.

What color do you need to wear to the game this weekend?

Auburn football released a color guide showing what color gear to wear for every game on the Tigers' 2023 schedule. Not just home games, but away ones as well.

It's not needed to enjoy the game, but joining the crowd in unison for the color of the weekend is always encouraged.

Here's which color you need to wear for each game on Auburn football's 2023 schedule:

Sept. 2nd vs UMass - Wear White

Oct 27, 2018; East Hartford, CT, USA; Massachusetts Minutemen running back Marquis Young (8) runs the ball against the Connecticut Huskies in the second half at Pratt & Whitney Stadium at Rentschler Field. UMass defeated UConn 22-17. Mandatory Credit: David Butler II-USA TODAY Sports

David Butler II-USA TODAY Sports

Sept. 9th at California - Wear Orange

Oct 1, 2022; Pullman, Washington, USA; California Golden Bears quarterback Jack Plummer (13) throws a pass against the Washington State Cougars in the first half at Gesa Field at Martin Stadium. Mandatory Credit: James Snook-USA TODAY Sports

James Snook-USA TODAY Sports

Sept. 16th vs Samford - Wear Navy

Nov 23, 2019; Auburn, AL, USA; Auburn Tigers defensive end Marlon Davidson (3) tackles Samford Bulldogs quarterback Liam Welch (7) during the second quarter at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

John Reed-USA TODAY Sports

Sept. 23rd at Texas A&M - Wear Navy

Nov 12, 2022; Auburn, Alabama, USA; Texas A&M Aggies tight end Max Wright (42) is tackled by Auburn Tigers linebacker Cam Riley (13) during the second quarter at Jordan-Hare stadium. Mandatory Credit: John Reed-USA TODAY Sports

John Reed-USA TODAY Sports

Sept. 30th vs Georgia - Wear Orange

Auburn vs Georgia

Dale Zanine-USA TODAY Sports

Oct. 14th at LSU - Wear Navy

The LSU Tigers ball carrier gets tackled by a host of Auburn Tigers during the game between the LSU Tigers and the Auburn Tigers at Jordan-Hare Stadium on Oct. 1, 2022.

Eric Starling/Auburn Daily

Oct. 21st vs Ole Miss- Stripe Out

10/15/22; Oxford, MS, USA; Defensive tackle during Auburn vs Ole Miss

Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Striped sections will be announced at a later date.

Oct. 28th vs Mississippi State - Wear Orange

Oct 1, 2022; Starkville, Mississippi, USA; Mississippi State Bulldogs wide receiver Caleb Ducking (4) reacts after a touchdown against the Texas A&M Aggies during the second quarter at Davis Wade Stadium at Scott Field. Mandatory Credit: Matt Bush-USA TODAY Sports

© Matt Bush-USA TODAY Sports

Nov. 4th at Vanderbilt - Wear Orange

Vanderbilt quarterback AJ Swann (13) throws against South Carolina during the first quarter at FirstBank Stadium in Nashville, Tenn., Saturday, Nov. 5, 2022. Vandyscfb 110522 An 013

© Andrew Nelles / Tennessean.com / USA TODAY NETWORK

Nov. 11th at Arkansas - Wear Navy

Sep 24, 2022; Arlington, Texas, USA; Arkansas Razorbacks quarterback KJ Jefferson (1) runs for a touchdown against the Texas A&M Aggies during the second half at AT&T Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jerome Miron-USA TODAY Sports

Jerome Miron-USA TODAY Sports

Nov. 18th vs New Mexico State - Upper Navy, Lower Orange

Dec 26, 2022; Detroit, Michigan, USA; New Mexico State University players celebrate their win over Bowling Green State University in the 2022 Quick Lane Bowl at Ford Field. Mandatory Credit: Lon Horwedel-USA TODAY Sports

Lon Horwedel-USA TODAY Sports

Nov. 25th vs Alabama- Wear Navy

Auburn Tigers defensive end Colby Wooden (25), defensive lineman Marcus Harris (50) and defensive lineman Derick Hall (29) celebrate a sack against Alabama quarterback Bryce Young (9) during the Iron Bowl at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala., on Saturday, Nov. 27, 2021. Ncaa Football Alabamaat Auburn

© Gary Cosby / USA TODAY NETWORK

• Thanks 1

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Four-star wide reciever names Auburn co-leader

JD McCarthy

~2 minutes

The Auburn Tigers have made up some ground in their pursuit of four-star wide receiver Mario Craver. The Pinson, Alabama product was in Auburn this week for their 7-on-7 camp and after the visit, he called Auburn a co-leader with the Florida Gators.

“I’d say like 1A, 1B with Florida,” Craver told Cole Pinkston of Auburn Live.

Buy Tigers Tickets

While Auburn and Florida are his top schools, Craver also has an official visit to Georgia Tech scheduled.

The trip was Craver’s fifth to the Plains and allowed him to spend time with wide receiver coach Marcus Davis, someone he can connect with.

“He says he was basically in the same situation I am: a small guy, a slot receiver,” Craver said. “He believes in me as a receiver, he’s laid back, and that’s basically everything you want in a receivers coach for real.”

Craver checks in at 5-foot-9 and 190 pounds, nearly identical to Davis who Auburn listed at 5-foot-9 and 176 pounds ahead of his freshman season in 2013.

Craver is the No. 270 overall player and No. 42 wide receiver in the On3 Industry Ranking. He is also the No. 15 player from Alabama.

He is one of several players from Clay-Chalkville High School that Auburn is pursuing. They recently received a crystal ball to land four-star linebacker D’Angelo Barber and hosted the state’s top player and five-star Jaylen Mbakwe on an official visit as they work to land some of the state’s top players.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. You can also follow JD on Twitter @jdmccarth

• Thanks 1

si.com

Auburn briefing: Tigers enter summer with legit excitement

Lance Dawe
3–4 minutes

Fans are excited about the team Hugh Freeze & Co. are building this offseason.

Hugh Freeze came in and got it done for the Tigers in the transfer portal.

Arguably no team had better success in the portal during the spring window than Auburn, who ended up nabbing 20 players in total - including 11 four-stars, the most in the nation.

Auburn is the No. 1 winner in the spring transfer portal window according to Matt Zenitz of On3. Zenitz recently released a list of the biggest winners in the spring portal and had the Tigers at the top above the likes of USC, SMU, Ole Miss, and Alabama.

There's some legitimate buzz around the Tigers, who are now heading into what now feels like the offseason - even though that technically started once the clock hit zero in the A-Day spring game.

We wrote it

The Tigers' 2023 class is making its way onto campus for the summer.

No player is more excited to be here than quarterback Hank Brown, who is moved in and beginning summer workouts with Auburn.

Zac Blackerby of the Locked On Auburn podcast brought Brown onto the show to talk about how how getting to campus has been.

You can read about what Brown had to say about his transition to college here.

Auburn has welcomed in multiple seven-on-seven teams this past week, most notably Clay-Chalkville, Central-Phenix City, Thompson, Houston County (GA), and Harding Academy (Ark). Auburn was impressed by the teams and has at least one target in the 2024 and 2025 classes on each team.

Check out the Tigers' prospects that visited on Friday here.

Auburn fans are excited about the upcoming season.

Despite reports of the Tigers' having "lost half of their fanbase" over the past two seasons, season ticket sales are through the roof.

Per Auburn Undercover's Jason Caldwell, season tickets sales are almost 5,000 ahead of last year’s total already and the most since 2017. Caldwell also noted in a tweet that the public buying window has only been up for two days.

You can read about the excitement here.

Tweet of the Day

@Footballism tweeted out a Cam Newton highlight we can't resist sharing.

Newton's insane run against South Carolina still stands as one of our favorite Auburn football highlights this century.

The Tigers kick off the 2023 season on September 2nd at home vs UMass at 2 p.m. CT on ESPN.

Here's a look at the entire 2023 schedule:

Sept. 2nd vs UMass

Sept. 9th at California

Sept. 16th vs Samford

Sept. 23rd at Texas A&M

Sept. 30th vs Georgia

Oct. 14th at LSU

Oct. 21st vs Ole Miss

Oct. 28th vs Mississippi State

Nov. 4th at Vanderbilt

Nov. 11th at Arkansas

Nov. 18th vs New Mexico State

Nov. 25th vs Alabama

• Thanks 1

si.com

Payton Thorne will raise Auburn's completion percentage a ton from last season

Andrew Stefaniak
2–3 minutes

Payton Thorne's career completion percentage should be a massive boost for the Tigers.

Auburn was dead last in the SEC last season with a completion percentage of 51.6. 

The next closest team was Florida at 54.4% a season ago. 

Coach Freeze recognized the problem and fixed it by adding veteran quarterback Payton Thorne. 

In Thorne's two seasons as a starter for the Michigan State Spartans he completed over 60% of his passes both years.

In 2021 he completed 60.4% of his passes, and in 2022, he completed 62.5% of his passes. 

Auburn only passed for 2,072 yards a season ago, while in a year where many believed he struggled, Thorne threw for 2,679. 

Auburn also only had nine passing touchdowns a season ago, while Thorne had 19. 

Auburn didn't throw it all that much with a quarterback like Robby Ashford, who is an elite runner, but I expect the Tigers to throw much more under Hugh Freeze. 

Last season at Liberty, Coach Freeze's former team had 396 passing attempts, while Auburn only had 308. 

I expect this Auburn aerial attack to be much approved in 2023, led by Freeze and Thorne. 

The RPO is going to be elite with Throne throwing it and Auburn's stable of running backs toating the rock. 

Watch out for the Auburn Tigers in 2023, as this offense will take a big step forward. 

• Like 1

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Three star WR Bryce Cain builds bond with Walker White ahead of commitment date

Taylor Jones
~2 minutes

Three-star wide receiver Bryce Cain is high on Auburn’s list, and vice versa.

Cain began his visit to Auburn this weekend by participating in a camp hosted by the Tigers, where he had the chance to catch passes from 2024 commitment Walker White.

Buy Tigers Tickets

The pair appeared to have built a quick bond.

“Man, (Cain) was good,” White told 247Sports Friday. “He just was flying out. His dad, who was a quarterback at Miami, he came up to me and was like, ‘Dude you’ve got a pistol.’ And I was like, ‘Yeah I’ve got a pistol but this dude’s got wheels on him.’ He was just really fast and I got to meet Bryce. He just had a really good attitude, he was a smiling dude. Easy to talk to and I’m actually going to hit him up after I leave and try to get him here.”

Cain returned the favor by complimenting White.

“I met Walker White the quarterback that’s committed to here, 2024,” Cain said. “He said can give me the rock and I’m all for it. I’m loving it.”

Did Auburn fans just witness the top QB/WR duo of the future? Time will soon tell, as he tells Christian Clemente of Auburn Undercover that he will make his commitment next week.

Ole Miss is the other team that’s currently in the race for Cain. There are five crystal balls out for Cain now, with Auburn holding three of them. Auburn has also gained momentum from On3, as they now have a 79.7% chance to land Cain. Ole Miss had a 97.8% chance last week.

Here’s a look at several highlights from Cain’s day camping at Auburn:

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. You can also follow Taylor on Twitter @TaylorJones__

• Like 1

slim pickings today folks. i will check back to update if they post anything. no new video's was a shock..................

• Thanks 1