Old AU 2024 Schedule vs. New

ellitor

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

playing a team every other year as opposed

Why the assume that it would be an A/B/A/B rotation (every other year) vs A Home/Away then B Home/Away?

The later is the more normal series schedule. IMO leads to playing the most "similar" team possibly vs playing every other year. 

It's all the same after 4. Just haven't seen anyone article detail how any rotation would work

• Like 1

How did the big 12 figure it out? Completely forgot they added four teams this year 

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Why the assume that it would be an A/B/A/B rotation (every other year) vs A Home/Away then B Home/Away?

The later is the more normal series schedule. IMO leads to playing the most "similar" team possibly vs playing every other year. 

It's all the same after 4. Just haven't seen anyone article detail how any rotation would work

I would much prefer the latter. The former would lead to hideously imbalanced home schedules 2/4 years.

16 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I would much prefer the latter. The former would lead to hideously imbalanced home schedules 2/4 years.

I don't see how it would lead to a hideously imbalanced home schedule.  Either scenario gives you the exact same rotation of home teams.  Are you saying just b/c Bama would be away?

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I don't see how it would lead to a hideously imbalanced home schedule.  Either scenario gives you the exact same rotation of home teams.  Are you saying just b/c Bama would be away?

You would have to be VERY careful about making sure teams get equal # of "big 9" opponents on both sides--for example, you would HAVE to put IB and DSOR back on different rotation patterns. Because if not, there will be a year in which we would go to UAT, UGA and LSU, and a year in which we host all three.

(I'm guessing that DSOR will be in Athens in '24 and '5 to get it back to how it's supposed to be. NGL, it frustrates me to no end knowing that if 2013 had been in Athens we would've most definitely lost, though maybe we get the lucky breaks in '14 instead. I have hated the scheduling format the league has had the last decade, so despite all the complaining about TX and OK I see it as a huge opportunity for something better.)

Edited by AUwent

57 minutes ago, AUwent said:

You would have to be VERY careful about making sure teams get equal # of "big 9" opponents on both sides--for example, you would HAVE to put IB and DSOR back on different rotation patterns. Because if not, there will be a year in which we would go to UAT, UGA and LSU, and a year in which we host all three.

(I'm guessing that DSOR will be in Athens in '24 and '5 to get it back to how it's supposed to be. NGL, it frustrates me to no end knowing that if 2013 had been in Athens we would've most definitely lost, though maybe we get the lucky breaks in '14 instead. I have hated the scheduling format the league has had the last decade, so despite all the complaining about TX and OK I see it as a huge opportunity for something better.)

The schedules are going to get all jacked up. We might not play UGA again until 2026.  The only definitive will be Bama.

There is a tweet last page with the rankings 1-16 the SEC claims they'll use to try and create a balanced schedule 

Edited by W.E.D

18 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

The schedules are going to get all jacked up. We might not play UGA again until 2026.  The only definitive will be Bama.

There is a tweet last page with the rankings 1-16 the SEC claims they'll use to try and create a balanced schedule 

I could easily see 2025 being another bridge schedule, the way both 2012 and 13 were.

12 hours ago, DAG said:

How did the big 12 figure it out? Completely forgot they added four teams this year 

They should go after ASU, UA, Oregon, UW, and Utah. Oregon and UW probably aren’t interested as they want the Big 10 but don’t know if B1G wants them. I’m personally bearish on the Arizona schools. State is growing and could produce more talent in the next several years. 

Pac-12 probably won’t exist by the end of the decade. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2023 at 12:49 PM, AUwent said:

NGL, it frustrates me to no end knowing that if 2013 had been in Athens we would've most definitely lost, though maybe we get the lucky breaks in '14 instead.

Was hilarious hearing Aaron Murray complain about having to play in JH three times. The guy certainly knows what Pat Dye Field tastes like, with visions of Fairley & Dee Ford dancing in his head every night.

We caught the unlucky breaks at home v A&M in 2014, so likely wouldn't have beaten GA at home either.

6 hours ago, Viper said:

Was hilarious hearing Aaron Murray complain about having to play in JH three times. The guy certainly knows what Pat Dye Field tastes like, with visions of Fairley & Dee Ford dancing in his head every night.

We caught the unlucky breaks at home v A&M in 2014, so likely wouldn't have beaten GA at home either.

I was saying that if we don’t get the lucky breaks in 2013, maybe we do in ‘14. That includes the fumblitis against A&M (if the schedule had been that so DSOR would’ve stayed on its correct rotation, we may not have been playing A&M…at the end of the day though I’ve hated the scheduling format we’ve had since the league expanded and am cautiously glad it’s changing).

Edited by AUwent

Seeing 247's projected schedule, Athlon's projected schedule, and That SEC Football Podcast's projected schedule combined angers me to no end.

Saban and co. raised pure hell about being given too tough a schedule. If the SEC actually tries to give us something like this, we had damn well better do the same. This is BRAZENLY unfair! How could anyone legit be expected to be a contender with this slate?

And before someone says "It's just one year!": I'm sure they'll decide to go to nine games at next year's meetings...right? LOL, they're not going to allow it until the first year of the new CFP is down. There is every reason to expect 2025 to be eight games as well, and for whatever they decide for 2024 to just be flipped. Oh, and Baylor joins the schedule in 2025 instead of Berkeley. Even beyond that, this could very well be indicative of the three that will be given when they finally go to nine.

I am SICK TO DEATH of having this handicap every single damn year. We literally never get rewarded for it, that's for damn sure. It's like the Pixar short that played before Up. Sick of all our fans who love to thump the Creed line "work, hard work!" It's like we have Stockholm Syndrome as a fanbase, I swear. Nick freaking Saban can recognize that such a slate is unfair. Why can't we?

Here's Athlon's averages, BTW:

Alabama 50

Arkansas 53.56

Auburn 62.74

Florida 52.3

Georgia 46.26

Kentucky 51.11

LSU 56.15

Mississippi 51.06

MSU 49.59

Missouri 49.83

Oklahoma 50.78

USC 48.98

Tennessee 50.64

Texas 52.78

TAMU 52.88

Vanderbilt 54.16

Edited by AUwent

36 minutes ago, AUwent said:

projected schedule combined angers me to no end.

All of these people literally have no clue what the SEC is going to do.  They are throwing s*** against the wall just to get people to talk.

Hell, the last one we talked about had either Ole Miss or LSU with 5 away games.  They literally don't know

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

All of these people literally have no clue what the SEC is going to do.  They are throwing s*** against the wall just to get people to talk.

Hell, the last one we talked about had either Ole Miss or LSU with 5 away games.  They literally don't know

Ok, That SEC Football Podcast is a teeny bit fairer. But I'm not cray cray about any of these projections. I know I'm a bit biased but I prefer the (in progress) one I came up with last night, ha.

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Ok, That SEC Football Podcast is a teeny bit fairer. But I'm not cray cray about any of these projections. I know I'm a bit biased but I prefer the (in progress) one I came up with last night, ha.

I highly doubt we get 5 teams in the top half of the conference.

• Like 2

On 6/2/2023 at 4:13 PM, W.E.D said:

Yeah everyone says that. But we'll see what they end up with when they go back to back 6-6 or 5-7

Well, if anyone knows what can happen with back-to-back season records like that, it's AU. 🤮

• Like 1

On 6/3/2023 at 5:42 AM, W.E.D said:

While technically different I am meaning 2 in every 4 years as well.

• Like 1

Here's another one where AU, Bama, UGA, LSU, OU, & A&M would have the historically toughest schedules in 2024.

• Dislike 1

29 minutes ago, woodford said:

The days of going undefeated are probably over lol those are kind of insane

I’m completely fine with that.  
Going undefeated used to be very rare back in the day.   

Especially with the 12 team playoff, you can lose 2 with a tough schedule and still be fine.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Here's another one where AU, Bama, UGA, LSU, OU, & A&M would have the historically toughest schedules in 2024.

This is why they can't do a 1 year schedule...because it is objectively unfair.

Go to the flip side and think 3 years our. Insanely easy (comparative) schedules for any team that have 5 teir 1 opponents.

I know they are doing it, it's just dumb. Also can't imagine they wouldt. Do their best to give everyone an even split

• Like 2

Also I'd hope the SEC isn't as simplistic as taking a basic 10 year average to weight teams. Both Tenn and Kentucky are well above their expected 2nd teir status 

21 hours ago, ellitor said:

Different one, but Athlon's was horrendous. On Locked On's video, there were comments claiming that the SEC was mad at us for hiring Freeze and would try to punish us via schedule? I hope that's, ahem, "Bravo Sierra."

Edited by AUwent