Auburn Head Coaches Ranked since Shug

Win4AU

Silly Season Content

Choices: Shug, Barfield, Dye, Terry, Tubs, Chiz, Gus, Hars.  We'll exclude Hugh and the Interim Coaches. 

I'd go: Dye, Shug, Tubs, Gus, Chiz, Terry, Barfield, Hars. 

Shug is tough because outside of 1957 and 1972 I know very little about his teams.  His winning percentage is good but I also know he had a couple blah seasons.  I'd rank Terry ahead of Chizik but Chizik had Cam.  Tubs and Gus were close calls for me but Tubs had the 2004 team.  2004-2006 was a period and very good football teams.  Gus had 2013, but started to fade in 2014 with a blip in 2017.  2019 could have been the start of something good but was really just his last hurrah!

17 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Silly Season Content

Choices: Shug, Barfield, Dye, Terry, Tubs, Chiz, Gus, Hars.  We'll exclude Hugh and the Interim Coaches. 

Shug is tough because outside of 1957 and 1972 I know very little about his teams.  His winning percentage is good but I also know he had a couple blah seasons.  I'd rank Terry ahead of Chizik but Chizik had Cam.  Tubs and Gus were close calls for me but Tubs had the 2004 team.  2004-2006 was a period and very good football teams.  Gus had 2013, but started to fade in 2014 with a blip in 2017.  2019 could have been the start of something good but was really just his last hurrah!

What’s the criteria ? Hard to judge between period for decades.

Based on my life experience with little to no criteria and off the head:

Gus, Tubs

chizik

Harsin

I'm an Auburn alum and have been a fan for many, many years. How many? I was on campus during the last few years of Shug's tenure. Over the years, there are other coaches I liked and respected, others I didn't.

Ya know, probably an unpopular choice, but in terms of winning percentage overall and in the SEC, it's really hard to ignore Terry Bowden. Yes, he inherited good players and he left in disgrace, but his overall winning percentage was above 72%, and his SEC winning percentage was 67%. Of course, that was only over 4 1/2 year period. But teams played fewer games back then. In terms of winning percentage, he did pretty darned good. Too bad he screwed up and got sideways with the Admins.

I don't think any other Auburn coach in the modern era can match his record.

That's just numbers. In terms of the coaches I personally liked best, I think Shug tops my list. And as much as I abhor his politics, Tuberville had a pretty good run, so I give him cred for that.

Edited by AURex
  • Like 5

Since Shug, DYE by a wide margin in my book. (Coach Jordan is the introduction in my book). 

Edited by cctiger
  • Like 2

hars does not deserve to be listed period. no shots at anyone for the record..........

18 hours ago, AURex said:

hard to ignore Terry Bowden. Yes, he inherited good players and he left in disgrace, but his overall winning percentage was above 72%,

He was better on Saturdays than most of our Head Coaches have been. Like Dag mentioned, eras and all, it's hard to compare. Results wise I like Dye the best and my least favorite is everyone's least favorite. I can't explain it but I got tired of Tubby, who faced several mediocre Bama teams to retain traction. For reasons I can't explain Chizik is forgettable for me. He won a NC and it's like a bad hangover..we had a beautiful date, went to the prom after that I can't remember who I went with. 🙄 I like Gus 13-14 but 15-20 was bottom half for me. I'd put Bowden ahead of Gus. 

On 5/26/2023 at 1:02 PM, Win4AU said:

Silly Season Content

I’d flip Terry and Chiz personally but I’d not disagree with the reasoning on your order. Remarkable the drop off from any of them to Barfield and then to Hars. We may not have loved these coaches all the time during their stints here but there sure is a lot of success spread across the board. They all had their great moments for sure…sans the last two stinkers of course lol. 

17 hours ago, cctiger said:

Since Shug, DYE by a wide margin in my book. (Coach Jordan is the introduction in my book). 

Agreed. Tubs had a successful run also. I think Terry was more of a facade. It was evident his last year and a half, he wasn’t recruiting at a high level. Gus was decent until everybody figured out his O. Chizik did lead us to NC and BH was quite possibly the biggest disaster ever. I go Shug/Dye and then Tubs. 

• Like 1

Strictly based on expectations/results at the time of their era:

Dye

Shug

Bowden

Tubs

Gus

Barfield

Chiz

Harsin

Based on likeability alone:

Shug

Dye

Barfield

Gus

Bowden

Chiz

Tubs

Harsin

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

hars does not deserve to be listed period. no shots at anyone for the record..........

Yeah he does, takes the heat off Barfield!😁

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, cctiger said:

Yeah he does, takes the heat off Barfield!😁

Harsin was the best thing that could have ever happened to Barfields legacy. 

• Like 1

Shug

Dye

Tubs

Bowden

Gus

Chiz

Barfield

There is a certain person not on the list because this is a list for coaches. Harsin is not a coach. 

• Like 1