The GOP really doesn’t give a damn about the country

Well, if Joe is stubborn enough to not negotiate and the default happen it will ultimately be blamed on him when the economy tanks.  I’m sure that was taken out of context, but that is politics.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

17 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Well, if Joe is stubborn enough to not negotiate and the default happen it will ultimately be blamed on him when the economy tanks.  I’m sure that was taken out of context, but that is politics.

Republicans would of course blame Biden for the default (despite a default happening only because Republicans vote for it to happen). Republicans blame Biden when they stub their toe on their bedroom dresser in the morning.

We'd have to see how the rest of the nation would react. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Republicans would of course blame Biden for the default (despite a default happening only because Republicans vote for it to happen). Republicans blame Biden when they stub their toe on their bedroom dresser in the morning.

Sounds like they are negotiating in good faith. Of course there’s a gap.

https://www.npr.org/2023/05/24/1177810037/debt-ceiling-negotiations-biden-mccarthy-updates

But Graves expressed frustration at the nature of their recent meetings.

"These negotiations have been frustrating, right? And there have been times when I think trust has been called into question," he said, offering this analogy: "If what they're going to do is they're going to treat us like somebody buying a used car, and they're gonna say, 'Well, I gotta go talk to my manager. Oh, sorry. The manager won't drop the price, but he'll throw in car mats' — like, that doesn't do it."

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Republicans aren’t asking for anything that makes a true dent in the debt. Just playing politics. No one’s solving our debt issue, but default will make it much, much worse and harder to solve.

1 hour ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Again a wrong take.  There is only one person that can put the US in default and that is the president.  The Republicans voted to be more fiscally responsible and claw back the unused Covid money among other things that are not unreasonable, but everything is negotiable.  Biden hasn’t talked to the Republicans for 100 days or so his back is against the wall as he heads out of town as usual.

The rest of the nation will react to how the economy is when it comes time to vote.

13 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Republicans aren’t asking for anything that makes a true dent in the debt. Just playing politics. No one’s solving our debt issue, but default will make it much, much worse and harder to solve.

Well, then Biden better cave.  It is up to him.

• Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Again a wrong take.  There is only one person that can put the US in default and that is the president.  The Republicans voted to be more fiscally responsible and claw back the unused Covid money among other things that are not unreasonable, but everything is negotiable.  Biden hasn’t talked to the Republicans for 100 days or so his back is against the wall as he heads out of town as usual.

The rest of the nation will react to how the economy is when it comes time to vote.

You don’t have a clue how our government works, do you? Only Congress can do it. Refusing to over relative pennies that don’t touch the problem is pure politics. Pure, asinine politics. The kind that excites you.

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

You don’t have a clue how our government works, do you? Only Congress can do it. Refusing to over relative pennies that don’t touch the problem is pure politics. Pure, asinine politics. The kind that excites you.

So Joe is going to be stubborn until we default, is that his strategy?  Surely he can’t wait for congress to turn it down   If Biden agrees to some kind of concession wouldn’t his Senate fall in line?  Yeah, it’s politics, so who do you think is going to blink first?

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Sounds like they are negotiating in good faith. Of course there’s a gap.

https://www.npr.org/2023/05/24/1177810037/debt-ceiling-negotiations-biden-mccarthy-updates

But Graves expressed frustration at the nature of their recent meetings.

"These negotiations have been frustrating, right? And there have been times when I think trust has been called into question," he said, offering this analogy: "If what they're going to do is they're going to treat us like somebody buying a used car, and they're gonna say, 'Well, I gotta go talk to my manager. Oh, sorry. The manager won't drop the price, but he'll throw in car mats' — like, that doesn't do it."

Shouldn't be a negotiation at all. 

Republicans are holding the faith and credit of the entire United states Government hostage just to try and take some benefits away from poor people and veterans to save a little money.

Dems never played this game when Trump was in office. 

Republicans didn't come into this to "negotiate in good faith" They came into this to force the hand of the Democrats to give in on bad Republican policies or else Republicans would cause an economic crisis.  

Like last time Republicans played these childish games with Obama, nothing good is going to come from any of this. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

So Joe is going to be stubborn until we default, is that his strategy?  Surely he can’t wait for congress to turn it down   If Biden agrees to some kind of concession wouldn’t his Senate fall in line?  Yeah, it’s politics, so who do you think is going to blink first?

The Congress passes a debt ceiling increase. He signs or vetoes. You still don’t know how this works.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Shouldn't be a negotiation at all. 

Republicans are holding the faith and credit of the entire United states Government hostage just to try and take some benefits away from poor people and veterans to save a little money.

Dems never played this game when Trump was in office. 

Republicans didn't come into this to "negotiate in good faith" They came into this to force the hand of the Democrats to give in on bad Republican policies or else Republicans would cause an economic crisis.  

Like last time Republicans played these childish games with Obama, nothing good is going to come from any of this. 

There have always been negotiations on this even when Trump was office. Republicans and Democrats were fighting about making cuts or just raising the ceiling without cuts before Biden and I am sure they will long after him.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-budget/trump-blames-fellow-republican-leaders-for-debt-ceiling-mess-idUSKCN1B41RT

5 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

There have always been negotiations on this even when Trump was office. Republicans and Democrats were fighting about making cuts or just raising the ceiling without cuts before Biden and I am sure they will long after him.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-budget/trump-blames-fellow-republican-leaders-for-debt-ceiling-mess-idUSKCN1B41RT

That article just talks about Republicans fighting with each other about raising the debt ceiling. 

The fact is that Republicans voted THREE different times to raise the debt ceiling during Trumps tenure. Each time without any budget-cut pre-conditions. Only now that a Democrat is in office are Republicans saying that they will refuse to raise the ceiling without budget cuts. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

That article just talks about Republicans fighting with each other about raising the debt ceiling. 

The fact is that Republicans voted THREE different times to raise the debt ceiling during Trumps tenure. Each time without any budget-cut pre-conditions. Only now that a Democrat is in office are Republicans saying that they will refuse to raise the ceiling without budget cuts. 

Guess it went over your head. Yes the Republicans were fighting each other, they were fighting each other because of needing to come to agreement with the Democrats over cuts. Then if you recall Trump throws in he wants some border wall funding adding in that wrinkle. Then Trump threw the Republicans under the bus making it their fault if they don't sort it out. 

This whole schtick about the Republicans only wanting or actually trying to do this with Biden is dishonest. For one, they tried for cuts and secondly they knew that if did not give in they would be the ones that hold it up they would get blamed and Trump would throw them under the bus. This is why it falls on Biden to get some compromise done. 

10 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Republicans spend like the best of them when they are in office, but become penny pinchers when Dems are if office. It's one of their oldest strategies. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

The Congress passes a debt ceiling increase. He signs or vetoes. You still don’t know how this works.

Not if the house doesn't pass the bill on to the Senate until a deal is in place. Of course Joe could renege, I wouldn’t put it passed the dishonest SOB.  I thought he could bypass this whole operation using the 14th Amendment, the one added to pay the debt of the Civil War, sounds about right.

• Facepalm 1

29 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Not if the house doesn't pass the bill on to the Senate until a deal is in place. Of course Joe could renege, I wouldn’t put it passed the dishonest SOB.  I thought he could bypass this whole operation using the 14th Amendment, the one added to pay the debt of the Civil War, sounds about right.

He could just rally his side in Congress to make a deal happen….assuming they can get past the mumbling. 🤣

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

So you are admitting Joe has no influence over his constituents. Well that is positive news. :-\ You're basically saying "it's over pennies and politics, so let's default yes?"

• Facepalm 1

13 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

So you are admitting Joe has no influence over his constituents. Well that is positive news. :-\ You're basically saying "it's over pennies and politics, so let's default yes?"

Your reading comprehension problems continue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Really? You have every right to debunk. I'll wait. (probably a long time) LOL

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Oh he comprehends, he's just trolling with idiotic conclusions.

Biden cannot command congress = Biden has little influence over his "constituents". 

(It's what passes for cleverness in his mind. ;))

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

14 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Really? You have every right to debunk. I'll wait. (probably a long time) LOL

How does one persuade an idiot?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tax and spend or,,, don't tax and spend,,,

Crippling the government in any, and every way possible, is critical to imposing authoritarian rule.

"Fiscally conservative" is probably the biggest political lie ever told.  A "small", privatized government is corrupt, unresponsive, unstable, undemocratic.  This country will die if we continue to follow people whose only principle is self interest.

One party is actively governing with the intent of destroying democracy and capitalism.  Neither can survive in an environment of extreme inequality and, an upper class with no concerns for society.

• Facepalm 1

On 5/25/2023 at 12:14 PM, I_M4_AU said:

Thanks for the dose of stupid this morning

• Facepalm 1

Bottom line in all of this is one day in the future our government will default if it continues to spend more than is collected. IMO taxes need to be moderately increased and spending decreased until our federal employees can get a handle on our finances and turn this annual deficit growth around. Also, it's disturbing that our representation doesn't have more budget hawks regardless of politcal affiliation.