DeSantis

AURex

This is just a topic for discussion. I put it her in Smack Talk because I know it will devolve into hate messaging.

But I'd prefer to keep it civil. Can we keep it civil?

So -- and this is just my opinion -- DeSantis has dug himself into a no-win hole.

1. Disney is going to make the best business decisions possible. Which means, their national/global best interest. Disney is a global powerhouse. Even conservatives who have kids are not going to go anti-Disney.  DeSantis cannot go "boycott" on Disney. Suicide.

2. Disney is a huge corporation. If a state passes laws/regulations that negatively affect business, the corporation adjusts. Thus Disney cancels the $1 Billion plan to build a new campus in Florida. A huge number of Disney employees who would have been forced to move to Florida rebelled saying they'd quit. The decision against this move costs DeSantis/Florida labor for building a $1 billion complex, plus 2000 people averaging $100k+ annual salary sales and taxes into the Florida economy.

3. Censorship of books and speech in schools. By definition, censorship is government squashing free speech. Okay, anti-woke. We don't want anyone with a brain hearing that some other people are not heterosexual. We don't want schools talking about slavery and current discrimination.

4. Government dictating research and development at universities. Plus, faculty can't criticize right wing political ideology or sponsor activities that might include ideas that are reprehensible to far right folks.

5. Appointing/assuring that utra-right-wing people are in control of school boards and other decision making bodies.

Okay, so that's enough. I'm thinking DeSantis has ZERO chance in the GOP primaries.

I'm looking for alternative views regarding DeSantis. Does he have a chance of supplanting Trump as the GOP candidate?

• Like 1

To use the force/power of government in order to punish an individual or, private entity for simply expressing opposition is the very definition of,,, tyranny.

DeSantis is a very, very dangerous person.  He is intelligent and, he has no guiding principles other than power.

DeSantis is developing quite a record of bad political decisions that have backfired on him:

https://www.vox.com/2023/5/17/23725952/ron-desantis-immigration-law-florida

Ron DeSantis’s immigration law is already leading to worker shortages

Dozens of videos on social media show empty construction sites and farms even before a new law goes into effect.