Congressman Assaults Citizen

14 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

You tell me. I answered you already. Your at the plate.

Where did you answer? All you said was "I highly doubt a cop would be in that situation," and then "I am trying to recall the last time I saw one interrupting a public address by politicians," as if that had any bearing at all on whether the assault was justified.

Edited by Leftfield

Just now, Leftfield said:

Where did you answer? All you said was you "I highly doubt a cop would be in that situation," and then "I am trying to recall the last time I saw one interrupting a public address by politicians," as if that had any bearing at all on whether the assault was justified.

Your certified. 

• Haha 1

Guess it's a good thing it happened in Louisiana and not Texas:

What Is Considered Assault in Louisiana?

Assault in Louisiana is an attempt to cause physical injury (a battery) to another person—for instance, attempting to strike someone with a hand or object and missing. Assault can also be any intentional act or threat of action that reasonably causes a person to feel afraid of impending violence.

(La. Rev. Stat. § 14:36 (2022).)

Soooo it’s down to if he felt afraid just like I said. 

• Haha 1

Just now, wdefromtx said:

Soooo it’s down to if he felt afraid just like I said. 

Your point? If someone larger than you was pushing you like that, you absolutely wouldn't have a reasonable fear of any harm?

You answered earlier that you wouldn't call it assault if someone did that to your wife. Are you saying you'd just stand there and let it happen? If not, why not?

So you can't show me where you answered?

You know damn well your analogy sucked. I just reinforced it. And I've already told you I did not agree with how the congressman handled the situation. I think he should have summoned the police or security and had them handle.

Having said that, it did not look to me that it rose to the level of assault. He simply ushered him away from the podium and asked that he calm down. He, the bed-wetter, was most certainly in no danger.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

Your point? If someone larger than you was pushing you like that, you absolutely wouldn't have a reasonable fear of any harm?

You answered earlier that you wouldn't call it assault if someone did that to your wife. Are you saying you'd just stand there and let it happen? If not, why not?

If I was causing problems and someone removed me from the area no I would not fear that I would be harmed. 

Same for my wife, I may not like it and I’d handle the situation….but that does not mean it is assault. 

Also my family isn’t stupid enough to do something disrespectful to end up in this situation in the first place. 

Edited by wdefromtx
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

You know damn well your analogy sucked.

Why? Is there something you're allowed to do to an average citizen that you're not allowed to do to a cop?

3 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

He simply ushered him away from the podium and asked that he calm down. He, the bed-wetter, was most certainly in no danger.

How do you know that? More importantly, as the "bed-wetter" was being pushed and overpowered, how did he know that?

Should one person be allowed to do this to another person just because they're irritated? 

1 minute ago, wdefromtx said:

If I was causing problems and someone removed me from the area no I would not fear that I would be harmed. 

Same for my wife, I may not like it and I’d handle the situation….but that does not mean it is assault. 

Also my family isn’t stupid enough to do something disrespectful to end up in this situation in the first place. 

You keep using the excuse that he was being disruptive and disrespectful. Are those illegal actions? As I said, I don't agree with it, but he has that right. It does not give the right to someone else to assault him.

If you knew your wife was not in danger, why would you handle it? She'll be fine if you don't, right?

1 minute ago, Leftfield said:

You keep using the excuse that he was being disruptive and disrespectful. Are those illegal actions? As I said, I don't agree with it, but he has that right. It does not give the right to someone else to assault him.

If you knew your wife was not in danger, why would you handle it? She'll be fine if you don't, right?

When did he get assaulted? 

Ss far as my wife goes I’d find out why she’s being removed. But she’s more than capable of handling herself. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

Why? Is there something you're allowed to do to an average citizen that you're not allowed to do to a cop?

How do you know that? More importantly, as the "bed-wetter" was being pushed and overpowered, how did he know that?

Should one person be allowed to do this to another person just because they're irritated? 

A cop wouldn't be in this particular situation. But I've offered you the opportunity to prove me wrong. You can't.

OMG. Definite yes. 

So if the congressman had summoned security to remove the bed-wetter for being disruptive and disrespectful to the audience I suppose you'd feel the same?

Just now, wdefromtx said:

When did he get assaulted? 

Like.....two seconds into the video.

2 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Ss far as my wife goes I’d find out why she’s being removed. But she’s more than capable of handling herself. 

This is what you meant by "handle it?"

13 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

You know damn well your analogy sucked. I just reinforced it. And I've already told you I did not agree with how the congressman handled the situation. I think he should have summoned the police or security and had them handle.

Having said that, it did not look to me that it rose to the level of assault. He simply ushered him away from the podium and asked that he calm down. He, the bed-wetter, was most certainly in no danger.

He’s grasping at straws to make this assault. It’s assault to him because he would be scared and according to the law in LA that’s all that matters. He’s trying like hell to get you in a gotcha situation. Thankfully I live in a state that has assault spelt out where it’s not up to someone who gets their feelings hurt easily to say they are assaulted if some gives them a mean look. Because according to their law that’s all it takes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

Like.....two seconds into the video.

This is what you meant by "handle it?"

I didn’t see an assault…did they charge him? Did the kid file charges for assault? It’s all on video so it should be pretty cut and dry right? 

1 minute ago, AUFAN78 said:

A cop wouldn't be in this particular situation. But I've offered you the opportunity to prove me wrong. You can't.

And I'm obtuse?

This situation has nothing to do with it. Nothing. The protester was not threatening Higgins. Higgins had no legal reason to lay his hands on the protestor. If there was a legal reason to remove the protester, then yes, it's security's job to do that. Same reason I can't stop someone for speeding, but law enforcement can. 

4 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

OMG. Definite yes. 

Not sure what this is in reference to?

2 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

He’s grasping at straws to make this assault. It’s assault to him because he would be scared and according to the law in LA that’s all that matters. He’s trying like hell to get you in a gotcha situation. Thankfully I live in a state that has assault spelt out where it’s not up to someone who gets their feelings hurt easily to say they are assaulted if some gives them a mean look. Because according to their law that’s all it takes. 

Ah, so we're going to the tried and true "I'm tougher than you!" Congrats!

I'm used to 78 doing this, but I thought better of you. Sorry to be proven wrong.

It doesn't matter what I think. It doesn't matter what you think. It matters what the protester thinks. He may press charges, may not. I'm doubting he will. Doesn't change what happened.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, wdefromtx said:

"He’s trying like hell to get you in a gotcha situation."

He isn't the first to try nor the last to fail. :cheers:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

you wouldn't call it assault if someone did that to your wife. Are you saying you'd just stand there and let it happen?

Yep

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

And I'm obtuse?

This situation has nothing to do with it. Nothing. The protester was not threatening Higgins. Higgins had no legal reason to lay his hands on the protestor. If there was a legal reason to remove the protester, then yes, it's security's job to do that. Same reason I can't stop someone for speeding, but law enforcement can. 

Not sure what this is in reference to?

Yes thank you!

The situation of a cop interrupting a political speech was invented in your brain. It was dumb. And please, not another dumb analogy. One a night is enough.

Refer to line one. 

Just now, AUFAN78 said:

Yes thank you!

The situation of a cop interrupting a political speech was invented in your brain. It was dumb. And please, not another dumb analogy. One a night is enough.

Refer to line one. 

I wasn't talking about a cop interrupting a speech, because it's irrelevant. As I've said repeatedly, but you ignore it.

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

Should be no surprise all the MAGA folks who claim not to be MAGA folks excuse violence.

Not surprised that those who think they aren't obtuse truly are. Sorry Vlad Jr. You earned that one.

10 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

I wasn't talking about a cop interrupting a speech, because it's irrelevant. As I've said repeatedly, but you ignore it.

I didn't ignore it. I told you from the beginning a cop wouldn't be in this situation, yet you persist. The analogy sucked. Just accept it.

Edited by AUFAN78
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

I didn't ignore it. I told you from the beginning a cop wouldn't be in this situation, yet you persist. The analogy sucked. Just accept it.

Aaaand evade.....