Congressman Assaults Citizen

Just now, Leftfield said:

Aaaand evade.....

and certified....

12 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Not surprised that those who think they aren't obtuse truly are. Sorry Vlad Jr. You earned that one.

Thanks for self-identifying.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@wdefromtx got to rise at 0300 so I'm out. Have fun with these two. ;D

15 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

If this was a family member I still would not consider it assault. I also would like to know what transpired before the video clip started. I’m not saying the congressman was in the right….but if people think that’s assault they need to grow thicker skin. 

BS.

Someone lays hands on you and starts pushing, that's assault.  What more do you need?  Maybe have the family member fall backwards, hit their head and require stitches?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Leftfield said:

Also, you didn't answer about a cop. Do you think the police would accept someone doing this to them?

Naw, surely just putting your hands on a cop and forcibly pushing him back 20 or 30 feet wouldn't be considered assault would it?

I swear, some of the arguments made on this forum....:-\

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

LOL. I did. Irrelevant to try and correlate two drastically different personalities. 

I think the valid question would be more along the lines of should the congressman have handled this in the manner which he did. My answer to a more reasonable question such as that would be a resounding no. 

Starting to crawfish now that you've had a minute to think about it huh?    :laugh:

13 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

No the law does not disagree with me…

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/PE/htm/PE.22.htm#:~:text=ASSAULT. (,including the person's spouse%3B or

ASSAULT. ( a) A person commits an offense if the person: (1) intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly causes bodily injury to another, including the person's spouse; (2) intentionally or knowingly threatens another with imminent bodily injury, including the person's spouse; or.

Uh, putting your hands on someone's chest and pushing the them backwards most definitely qualifies.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

If this was a family member I still would not consider it assault. I also would like to know what transpired before the video clip started. I’m not saying the congressman was in the right….but if people think that’s assault they need to grow thicker skin. 

the law says you cannot put your hands on another person without permission. the congressman was a bully and it looked a like a kid he was dealing with.

• Like 1

if that had been my son it would have been on like donkey kong.............entitled prick.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

You know damn well your analogy sucked. I just reinforced it. And I've already told you I did not agree with how the congressman handled the situation. I think he should have summoned the police or security and had them handle.

Having said that, it did not look to me that it rose to the level of assault. He simply ushered him away from the podium and asked that he calm down. He, the bed-wetter, was most certainly in no danger.

Oh, so now forcibly pushing someone backwards is "ushered".   :laugh: :laugh::laugh:

You don't even realize what a fool you are making of yourself, do you? 

If I was causing problems and someone removed me from the area no I would not fear that I would be harmed.

What kind of "problems" was the victim causing?

• Like 1

I was incorrect - this happened on the Capitol grounds, not in Louisiana. However, the definition of assault in D.C. is the same as what I originally posted, including offensive contact.

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

What kind of "problems" was the victim causing?

I'm sure the guy was being disruptive to some extent. I haven't seen videos of what he was doing beforehand, so I have no idea if it rose to the level that would legally allow him to be removed, but it makes no difference as far as Higgins was concerned. 

Higgins claimed the protestor was being "threatening," yet apparently we're the snowflakes because we see this as a legal definition of assault.  

• Like 1

He’s grasping at straws to make this assault. It’s assault to him because he would be scared and according to the law in LA that’s all that matters. He’s trying like hell to get you in a gotcha situation. Thankfully I live in a state that has assault spelt out where it’s not up to someone who gets their feelings hurt easily to say they are assaulted if some gives them a mean look. Because according to their law that’s all it takes. 

78 certainly doesn't need your help in making a fool of himself.  And there's enough idiocy in his argument for both of you to share equally.

Likewise, Leftfield doesn't need to "try like hell" to get him - or you - in a "gotcha situation".  That just flows naturally from your posts. 

If anything, Leftfield is just pointing out the obvious.  It's just not obvious to you and 78 - for obvious reasons. ;D

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

When did he get assaulted? 

Ss far as my wife goes I’d find out why she’s being removed. But she’s more than capable of handling herself. 

"being removed"

You mean if some large man had his hands on your wife's chest and was forcibly pushing her backward, you'd just let it happen and then "find out" why she's was "being removed"..

Damn.  

Edited by homersapien
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

I was incorrect - this happened on the Capitol grounds, not in Louisiana. However, the definition of assault in D.C. is the same as what I originally posted, including offensive contact.

Interestingly, the DC cops were there and didn’t arrest Higgins, therefore, it must not have been assault.  Go figure.

Just now, homersapien said:

"being removed"

You mean if some large man had his hands on your wife's chest and was forcibly pushing her backward, you just let it happen and then "find out" why she's was "being removed"..

Damn.  

Gotcha!

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Should be no surprise all the MAGA folks who claim not to be MAGA folks excuse violence.

And it's no surprise they persistently reveal their idiocy in doing so.

3 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Interestingly, the DC cops were there and didn’t arrest Higgins, therefore, it must not have been assault.  Go figure.

Doesn't our system almost always give those with power the "benefit of doubt"?

4 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Doesn't our system almost always give those with power the "benefit of doubt"?

Yes, yes it does.  Somehow people can protest, get *assaulted* and still get their point across without getting law enforcement involved.  Not every incident rises to the level of a crime.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Do you think the fact Higgins was a Congressman had a part in that? If you were one of the police, would you hesitate to detain a Congressman in the middle of a news conference? 

That aside, do you agree that a person should be able to do this to another for whatever reason, with no consequences? You would be ok with this happening to a family member?

Will be interesting to see how it plays out. Apparently the protester is asking for legal advice to see if he should press charges.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

"being removed"

You mean if some large man had his hands on your wife's chest and was forcibly pushing her backward, you just let it happen and then "find out" why she's was "being removed"..

Damn.  

https://www.kplctv.com/2023/05/18/congressman-clay-higgins-removes-activist-during-news-conference/

If my wife was doing what this kid was doing.....being disruptive and charging around to get up to a congress person like he did prompting someone to remove them because they thought he could have been charging to get to the congress person then she deserves it. 

Go to about the 0:50 sec mark and you see this dumbass running up behind her trying to get to her....Higgins went into protection mode. He also tried to reason with him before this and he was still being an idiot. 

It does not surprise me that only one part of this went viral, but it points to exactly what I said last night that I knew something happened before hand that led up to this. Now, I fully expect you and others to say he was no threat...but like I said if he was a Trump supporter this would not be assault to you and you would be saying that he was being disrespectful and the one causing the problem.

Also, since Leftfield kept wanting to talk about a police officer doing this to someone.....if the police were right there at the time and saw him doing this they would have removed him and probably used more force.

Quit trying to act like he is a victim here. 

• Facepalm 1

31 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

if that had been my son it would have been on like donkey kong.............entitled prick.

Would be any debate about whether or not it constituted "assault" either. ;)