Feelings on this model of CFB

AUght2win

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Opinion piece here. Want to start off by saying Hugh has done an amazing job. Love that we got Thorne and have been super aggressive in the portal. This really has nothing to do with him or Auburn, and it isn’t a dissatisfaction with ANYTHING we are doing. This is about the system as it currently operates.

On any given down this fall, we could have an (ex) ECU center snap the ball to a Michigan State QB, who play-fakes to a USF RB, then pumps to an FIU TE before throwing to a Cincinnati WR. 

I just don’t know how I feel about the implications of that (while, as it pertains to our 2023 season, I am glad we got every single one of those kids).

Nothing against those kids. Thrilled to have them. And they’re making the smart move for themselves and their families. But there’s just no reason they’re here other than money.

Now, that’s not entirely new to college football, but I feel like there used to be at least a small level of personal affinity for a school to earn a commitment - I don’t care how big the money, you better like your college at least a little bit because you’re going to be there 3 years minimum.

But now it’s high school transfer rules with NFL(ish) cash. No sport on earth has as much significant turnover as college football does right now. 

On the projected offensive two deep - Auburn will have 9 guys who previously picked other schools. On defense, it’s 9-10, including 5 out of 6 DL. Potentially over (maybe well over) half the team’s starters will be guys who had no connection to Auburn six months ago. 

They’ve got my support for sure. But it definitely feels different than rooting for a Bo, or Cadillac, or Takeo, or Lutz, or guys who actually you feel like ARE the university.

I just don’t even know what the point of the game is anymore. My love for the sport has dimmed. Hope they can figure out a balance where the kids still get paid but there’s some semblance of “college” put back in college football.

I'm conflicted. It's way easier to rebuild a roster now--good god, could we have used the TP after the NC. But yeah, I can understand the feeling of loss of loyalty.

I can't say the same for other conferences, but I am pretty excited about where the SEC is headed. The new setup has the potential to be leaps and bounds better than what we've had the last decade, and no I'm not just harping on scheduling equity again, though that is a big part of it. Everyone will play everyone in four years and several lost rivalries will be restored. :)

• Like 1

What? This doesn’t feel like college football anymore? BECAUSE ITS NOT!!!!  It is minor league football. College football as we have always known it is GONE. Wait til our best player one year gets a better offer and leaves. Let’s see how the people who are for this now like it then.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I just don’t even know what the point of the game is anymore. My love for the sport has dimmed. Hope they can figure out a balance where the kids still get paid but there’s some semblance of “college” put back in college football.

100% agree. When all this portal/NIL stuff started I said I'd evaluate for five years and then decide if I even cared enough to follow the sport any more. It's about 2&1/2 years in and I'm liking this less and less. If something isn't done by someone in authority to change the rules this train is headed to a train wreck.

It's not just college football. Hells bells, women basketball players are getting more NIL money than the pros can offer a first year player. This setup is not sustainable.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m glad I’m not walking through what I call the BSAA on my own. It’s just not the same. Kids don’t come for the love of anything but money, and it has tarnished the entire landscape.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I just don’t even know what the point of the game is anymore

Score more pts than the other team.

Same as it has always been

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

100% agree. When all this portal/NIL stuff started I said I'd evaluate for five years and then decide if I even cared enough to follow the sport any more. It's about 2&1/2 years in and I'm liking this less and less. If something isn't done by someone in authority to change the rules this train is headed to a train wreck.

It's not just college football. Hells bells, women basketball players are getting more NIL money than the pros can offer a first year player. This setup is not sustainable.

Looking forward to 2.5 hears from now!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Opinion piece here. Want to start off by saying Hugh has done an amazing job. Love that we got Thorne and have been super aggressive in the portal. This really has nothing to do with him or Auburn, and it isn’t a dissatisfaction with ANYTHING we are doing. This is about the system as it currently operates.

On any given down this fall, we could have an (ex) ECU center snap the ball to a Michigan State QB, who play-fakes to a USF RB, then pumps to an FIU TE before throwing to a Cincinnati WR. 

I just don’t know how I feel about the implications of that (while, as it pertains to our 2023 season, I am glad we got every single one of those kids).

Nothing against those kids. Thrilled to have them. And they’re making the smart move for themselves and their families. But there’s just no reason they’re here other than money.

Now, that’s not entirely new to college football, but I feel like there used to be at least a small level of personal affinity for a school to earn a commitment - I don’t care how big the money, you better like your college at least a little bit because you’re going to be there 3 years minimum.

But now it’s high school transfer rules with NFL(ish) cash. No sport on earth has as much significant turnover as college football does right now. 

On the projected offensive two deep - Auburn will have 9 guys who previously picked other schools. On defense, it’s 9-10, including 5 out of 6 DL. Potentially over (maybe well over) half the team’s starters will be guys who had no connection to Auburn six months ago. 

They’ve got my support for sure. But it definitely feels different than rooting for a Bo, or Cadillac, or Takeo, or Lutz, or guys who actually you feel like ARE the university.

Personally, I hate the current state of college football.  Not that many years ago, I was interested in watching any game involving top-ranked teams.  But today, if I wasn't an Auburn graduate, I wouldn't even be able to watch Auburn play.

I hate NIL and easy transfer rules, both of which have given rise to a bunch of me-players in the NCAA.  I mean, something is wrong when a 17-year-old immature kid can call a press conference covered by TV news just to announce which college he's chosen to attend.

I've loved college football all my life, but I could never become a college football fan today if I was not already a fan.

I'm not trying to tell anyone how they should feel about this.  I'm just stating my opinion.  I guess it's a new game for a new generation, but I'm not impressed by either...

Edited by WillMunny
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

It's wild how it always comes back to people being furious and jealous that "immature kids" who are the  drivers of a multi billion dollar industry can profit off their own name.

• Like 3
  • Dislike 3

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

It's wild how it always comes back to people being furious and jealous that "immature kids" who are the  drivers of a multi billion dollar industry can profit off their own name.

Not necessarily that. There’s no reason the players shouldn’t play the same money game the universities, networks and coaches play. I don’t blame them. Looking back, it was the inevitable outcome of introducing boatloads of TV cash into a game that mostly existed for in-person and regional radio audiences for decades. But this is where it’s led us. And it’s not what my once deep interest in the game was based on. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

No problem with anything the players are doing.  Glad it has shaken up the college world and made some of the gatekeepers lose some power. These guys could’ve chosen any other school to play for and pay them, but they chose us. Speaks volume. There is always an agenda to why people choose to do the things they do. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Let's also look at this as a massive anomaly, most likely going to be a single season blip and will lessen over the next few years.

Most "top schools" is the portal to supplement themselves and add a fee key pieces. Auburn will get there

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

It reminds me very much of fans reaction to free agency in pro sports. Players werent “loyal” anymore, its all about the money etc. Coaches have been jumping ship for greener pastures, only changing their hat to sell players on the new “best” school to call home. Coaches and some fans may hate the new era, but Im pretty sure the players are happier than ever. The smart coaches will adjust and the ones that refuse(Harsin for example) will struggle.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, DAG said:

No problem with anything the players are doing.  Glad it has shaken up the college world and made some of the gatekeepers lose some power. These guys could’ve chosen any other school to play for and pay them, but they chose us. Speaks volume. There is always an agenda to why people choose to do the things they do. 

So this version of college football is more enjoyable to you than say it was in 2005?

The game has changed greatly over the last 40 odd years. 

OL being allowed to hold on every play has changed the dynamic of the way the game is played. 

The money involved, NIL, and transfer portal has changed my feelings about the game as well. 

I'm 60 years old now, and have realized that all sports are really pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things, so I'm not nearly as emotionally impacted by Auburn, or college football as I used to be. I view it now as what it actually is, entertainment. 

I still love Auburn, but realize if they never fielded a team again it really wouldn't affect my life very much. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Score more pts than the other team.

Same as it has always been

Save this bit for the road. Netflix special isn’t far off if all your material is this good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

So this version of college football is more enjoyable to you than say it was in 2005?

If we win it will be. For the general fan its all about the W.

Edited by Hank2020
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

The key difference between now and ~2005 is that we suck.

Pretend we go undefeated then 1 loss from the west the next 3 season (essentially making the playoffs 4 straight times) and Imma guess people will be having fun

• Thanks 1

Things change. Football changed. Players have always been able to transfer, the rules are just different now. I’ll continue to watch and pull for Auburn.  Did anyone complain about Cam? I mean, he transferred and was only here one year.

I personally think the transfer portal is going to continue to morph and change in the next few years.

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Yes because I can empathize on a much higher intellectual level what these individuals go through. Back in 2005, they were solely only seen as athletes to me.  Then perspectives starting to come out. I remember hearing Kevin Durant say he was the man in Texas but then go home to seeing his mom still in the hood with lights off. Things like that strike me. So, yes I am happy these guys get to have an education, make money and play the game they love. Further, I am happy to donate to any initiative to help player 1 to 85 get some money for providing me entertainment.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

OL being allowed to hold on every play has changed the dynamic of the way the game is played. 

I would love to see a season played without the death grip gloves receivers wear. Led to the invention of the one handed circus grabs. 

3 minutes ago, CR said:

It reminds me very much of fans reaction to free agency in pro sports. Players werent “loyal” anymore, its all about the money etc. Coaches have been jumping ship for greener pastures, only changing their hat to sell players on the new “best” school to call home. Coaches and some fans may hate the new era, but Im pretty sure the players are happier than ever. The smart coaches will adjust and the ones that refuse(Harsin for example) will struggle.

I don’t understand the notion of looking at the game from the sole perspective of what’s best for the players. It’s disingenuous to say college football revolves are the players. The NFL and NBA are leagues where many people show up for the name on the back of the jersey, CFB is based on the name on the front. The reality is CFB players are participating in something MUCH larger than them.

The narrative from some is that it’s virtually slave labor to give kids a full college scholarship for playing a game. That CFB is like the NFL, and without these kids’ elite skill level, college football venues would be empty on Saturdays.

Basically: talented kids power CFB and are what make it truly popular. Of course that isn’t the dynamic for anybody familiar with what college football really is. The actual dynamic is  that college affiliation powers CFB, and is AIDED by skilled players.

Fans show up and tune in to root for their school. No specific player or talent level is what draws fans to the stadium. It’s an affinity for the school and the idea that these kids are true representatives of our school.

Don’t believe me? Look at a football model where it’s purely about watching elite athletes play - the XFL and USFL. Every XFL or USFL team would manhandle 99% of college teams. It’s a higher level of play. But despite having better players, their stadiums aren’t packed and their brand isn’t a 100th of what CFB is. 

We need to stop acting like if it wasn’t for the 5 star players, that CFB would fold. Most CFB fans would still root for their school if every team was compromised or walk-ons.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yes because I can empathize on a much higher intellectual level what these individuals go through. Back in 2005, they were solely only seen as athletes to me.  Then perspectives starting to come out. I remember hearing Kevin Durant say he was the man in Texas but then go home to seeing his mom still in the hood with lights off. Things like that strike me. So, yes I am happy these guys get to have an education, make money and play the game they love. Further, I am happy to donate to any initiative to help player 1 to 85 get some money for providing me entertainment.

I have no real beef with players making money. But I don’t like the current model. Personally, I think it should be like a union pension and players (at every school) get the same amount depending on how many years you play (like being vested).

Because like I said in the previous post, people showing up to Texas games back then wasn’t dependent on Kevin Durant. They were showing up to support their school. KD obviously generated MORE excitement, aiding the program, but he didn’t make or break it. That should at least be taken into account when discussing how much value individual players truly bring to college sports.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

I don’t understand the notion of looking at the game from the sole perspective of what’s best for the players. It’s disingenuous to say college football revolves are the players. The NFL and NBA are leagues where many people show up for the name on the back of the jersey, CFB is based on the name on the front. The reality is CFB players are participating in something MUCH larger than them.

The narrative from some is that it’s virtually slave labor to give kids a full college scholarship for playing a game. That CFB is like the NFL, and without these kids’ elite skill level, college football venues would be empty on Saturdays.

Basically: talented kids power CFB and are what make it truly popular. Of course that isn’t the dynamic for anybody familiar with what college football really is. The actual dynamic is  that college affiliation powers CFB, and is AIDED by skilled players.

Fans show up and tune in to root for their school. No specific player or talent level is what draws fans to the stadium. It’s an affinity for the school and the idea that these kids are true representatives of our school.

Don’t believe me? Look at a football model where it’s purely about watching elite athletes play - the XFL and USFL. Every XFL or USFL team would manhandle 99% of college teams. It’s a higher level of play. But despite having better players, their stadiums aren’t packed and their brand isn’t a 100th of what CFB is. 

We need to stop acting like if it wasn’t for the 5 star players, that CFB would fold. Most CFB fans would still root for their school if every team was compromised or walk-ons.

I agree.  The players are already being paid very well (a $250,000 scholarship) that gives them a great chance at a great future, if they would only work as hard in the classroom as they do on the field.  Both my dad and I wish I had been paid that much to attend and complete a degree at Auburn University, but I wasn't good at football.  So we had to pay it ourselves, and that was hard to do.  Very hard.  But it sure has paid off.

Stipend money on top of that?  Good idea, to give the players some spending money (every player should get the same) since they are limited in part-time job opportunities due to football commitments.

Looking back over my life, I see consistency in this statement: big money (riches) eventually ruins everything it touches.  From churches to politics to business and sports, nothing seems to survive in a truly likeable form when supported (attacked) by big money.  College football is just the latest example.

Of course, none of this is going to change, whether I like it or not.  To the contrary, it will continue in a direction that (IMHO) is detrimental to college football.  In the end, maybe even in my lifetime, college football will eliminate the requirement that players actually go to school.  It really will become Minor League Football at some point, and will shed the farce of them being "student-athletes".

I'm not trying to tell anybody else what to think.  I'm just stating my opinion.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

big money (riches) eventually ruins everything it touches. 

A lot of wisdom and truth to this. 

• Like 2