Hungry military families are bad for America

https://thehill.com/opinion/congress-blog/3990861-hungry-military-families-are-bad-for-america/

by Kathy Roth-Douquet, opinion contributor - 05/06/23

After 14 years and 10 moves, military spouse Jamie S. finds herself unable, in her words, to “put food in our boys’ bellies” because the duty station her husband is assigned to is expensive, and she’s unable to work because child care is too high and jobs aren’t flexible enough to accommodate her husband’s training and deployments.  

She’s not alone — 33.8 million Americans are food insecure according to a new report from National Center for Health Statistics, and studies show that statistic includes more than one-quarter of enlisted families. That’s shocking and unacceptable — both because it’s a violation of the implicit contract that we take care of those who sacrifice for us through military service, and because it undermines our ability to field and retain a fighting force, which we all need for our continued freedom and security. It’s a factor in the Army failing to meet its recruiting requirements by nearly 15,000 people in 2022. It’s an even bigger factor because research shows that most recruits come from military families, and military families who are struggling are less likely to recommend service.

Jamie explained to me and my team at Blue Star Families that she and her husband sold their second car, didn’t renew memberships to the zoo or science museum for their four boys, and made other sacrifices just to survive. We believe that we as a nation owe Jamie and her family more than that.  

To be sure, there are those who are taking up the fight. Craig Newmark, the founder of craigslist, recently announced a $1 million dollar donation to my organization to address both food insecurity and the underlying issues facing military families. This builds on previous multi-million dollar gifts from Newmark and targets solutions more deeply. These funds will help tremendously but it’s not the end of the battle. We need the government to step up.

Military family food insecurity is different from civilian and even veteran food insecurity. It is caused by challenges inherent in the military lifestyle that require system change to fix. To be clear, much of the military lifestyle is awesome. As the spouse of a Marine who served 30 years, I know firsthand how terrific a lifestyle of service and adventure can be for a family. But I also know it’s not without its challenges. 

Multiple moves, not onto installations, but into local communities lead to broken trust networks so families don’t have local relationships and the ability to navigate challenges and solve problems. This exacerbates military families’ inability to field a second income in expensive markets — resulting in housing insecurity and the aforementioned food insecurity. 

Eliminating military family food insecurity will require system changes from the top down that strike at this fundamental issue. Federal and local governments and the military services must institute policy changes such as improving access to childcare, giving families more control in whether and where they move and, perhaps most important of all, removing the Basic Allowance for Housing from SNAP eligibility calculations. That our government disqualifies families from SNAP based on their housing allowance, which is already insufficient to pay for the housing they need, is unconscionable.

Military spouses like Jamie S. should never have to choose between the well-being of her family and her husband’s military service. We can and must act for the sake of our national security, and our brave men and women in service.

Kathy Roth-Douquet is the co-founder of Blue Star Families.

If her husband is active duty, she can put food on the table. If she cannot, I would first look to see what she spends $ on. Many people struggle. Most families require both spouses work, at least part time.  Being in the military is a very admirable job, one which I have much respect for. However, in this country, in 2023, it is a profession of choice. The choice can afford great opportunities. That said, it doesn't entitle someone to have expectations of an easier path than other citizens.

• Dislike 1

5 hours ago, AU9377 said:

If her husband is active duty, she can put food on the table. If she cannot, I would first look to see what she spends $ on. Many people struggle. Most families require both spouses work, at least part time.  Being in the military is a very admirable job, one which I have much respect for. However, in this country, in 2023, it is a profession of choice. The choice can afford great opportunities. That said, it doesn't entitle someone to have expectations of an easier path than other citizens.

i disagree. there was a time not very long ago our soldiers needed food stamps to survive and that is just a bad look when your country expects you to stand up and possibly give your life for her.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i disagree. there was a time not very long ago our soldiers needed food stamps to survive and that is just a bad look when your country expects you to stand up and possibly give your life for her.

Carter had us on food stamps....Reagan pushed thru a pay raise that got us off food stamps.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Carter had us on food stamps....Reagan pushed thru a pay raise that got us off food stamps.

money.cnn.com

Use of food stamps by active military families rises again, although at slower pace than in recent years

Jennifer Liberto
4–5 minutes

food stamp dollars At military grocery stores, more food stamps have been redeemed over the years.

More military families used food stamps to buy milk, cheese, meat and bread at military grocers last year.

Food stamp redemption at military grocers has been rising steadily since the beginning of the recession in 2008. Nearly $104 million worth of food stamps was redeemed at military commissaries in the fiscal year ended Sept. 30.

"I'm amazed, but there's a very real need," said Thomas Greer, spokesman for Operation Homefront, a nonprofit that helps soldiers on the financial brink nationwide.

Some of the growth in soldiers' redemption of food stamps reflects the weak economic recovery, especially for spouses looking for jobs. In 2012, there was a 30% unemployment rate among spouses off active-duty military who were 18 to 24 years old, according to the Military Officers Association of America, which released the survey last week.

Spouses who have to relocate every few years have a tough time finding work in the private sector.

Related: Senate votes to restore military pensions

During the recession, some states lowered eligibility for food stamps, making it easier to qualify. That could account for some of the growth in use by active-duty military, said Joyce Raezer, executive director of the National Military Family Association.

"It was easier for some of those families right on the cusp to qualify," she said.

In 2011, about 5,000 active-duty military members were on food stamps, making up less than a tenth of 1% of the 44 million on food stamps, according to the USDA, which has yet to update its figures.

Pentagon officials say they don't track who exactly is redeeming food stamps at military grocers, called commissaries. But they say that it's the bottom of the ranks, often the most junior 18 to 20-somethings who already have several children.

Base pay for a new soldier with a spouse and kid is around $20,000, just above the poverty line. Although that doesn't include housing or food allowances. The housing and food help put the income of an Army private with two years of experience a bit more than $40,000, the Pentagon says.

In 2013, Operation Homefront received 2,968 emergency requests for food help, more than any other kind of request for help. The numbers are down significantly compared to two years ago, but they're still nearly three times what they had been in 2008.

Related: My grocery bill will skyrocket if military stores close

"When there are unexpected disruptions for a family with a junior (enlisted) member, it can become a challenge to put food on table," Greer said. "Cost of food remains a very real challenge."

The good news is that the growth in food-stamp redemption at military grocers has slowed.

The 2013 figure was only a 5% uptick from 2012, less the the 13% increase in growth in 2012 and the record 70% hike in growth in food stamps use in 2009, according to the Defense Commissary Agency.

Food stamps has been a hot topic in Washington for months, as enrollment in the anti-poverty program remains at record high levels. Currently, 47 million Americans depend on food stamps. Half of them are children and a quarter of them are seniors.

Enrollment in the program soared during the Great Recession, with nearly 15% of the population getting benefits, according to recent federal data. The average monthly benefit was $134 per person in October.

Congress allowed cuts in the food stamps program last November, with the average recipient losing about $11 thanks to the expiration of a recession-era boost in funding. Active-duty military families were affected by those cuts.

CNNMoney (Washington) First published February 17, 2014: 7:56 AM ET

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:
money.cnn.com

Use of food stamps by active military families rises again, although at slower pace than in recent years

Jennifer Liberto
4–5 minutes

food stamp dollars At military grocery stores, more food stamps have been redeemed over the years.

More military families used food stamps to buy milk, cheese, meat and bread at military grocers last year.

Food stamp redemption at military grocers has been rising steadily since the beginning of the recession in 2008. Nearly $104 million worth of food stamps was redeemed at military commissaries in the fiscal year ended Sept. 30.

"I'm amazed, but there's a very real need," said Thomas Greer, spokesman for Operation Homefront, a nonprofit that helps soldiers on the financial brink nationwide.

Some of the growth in soldiers' redemption of food stamps reflects the weak economic recovery, especially for spouses looking for jobs. In 2012, there was a 30% unemployment rate among spouses off active-duty military who were 18 to 24 years old, according to the Military Officers Association of America, which released the survey last week.

Spouses who have to relocate every few years have a tough time finding work in the private sector.

Related: Senate votes to restore military pensions

During the recession, some states lowered eligibility for food stamps, making it easier to qualify. That could account for some of the growth in use by active-duty military, said Joyce Raezer, executive director of the National Military Family Association.

"It was easier for some of those families right on the cusp to qualify," she said.

In 2011, about 5,000 active-duty military members were on food stamps, making up less than a tenth of 1% of the 44 million on food stamps, according to the USDA, which has yet to update its figures.

Pentagon officials say they don't track who exactly is redeeming food stamps at military grocers, called commissaries. But they say that it's the bottom of the ranks, often the most junior 18 to 20-somethings who already have several children.

Base pay for a new soldier with a spouse and kid is around $20,000, just above the poverty line. Although that doesn't include housing or food allowances. The housing and food help put the income of an Army private with two years of experience a bit more than $40,000, the Pentagon says.

In 2013, Operation Homefront received 2,968 emergency requests for food help, more than any other kind of request for help. The numbers are down significantly compared to two years ago, but they're still nearly three times what they had been in 2008.

Related: My grocery bill will skyrocket if military stores close

"When there are unexpected disruptions for a family with a junior (enlisted) member, it can become a challenge to put food on table," Greer said. "Cost of food remains a very real challenge."

The good news is that the growth in food-stamp redemption at military grocers has slowed.

The 2013 figure was only a 5% uptick from 2012, less the the 13% increase in growth in 2012 and the record 70% hike in growth in food stamps use in 2009, according to the Defense Commissary Agency.

Food stamps has been a hot topic in Washington for months, as enrollment in the anti-poverty program remains at record high levels. Currently, 47 million Americans depend on food stamps. Half of them are children and a quarter of them are seniors.

Enrollment in the program soared during the Great Recession, with nearly 15% of the population getting benefits, according to recent federal data. The average monthly benefit was $134 per person in October.

Congress allowed cuts in the food stamps program last November, with the average recipient losing about $11 thanks to the expiration of a recession-era boost in funding. Active-duty military families were affected by those cuts.

CNNMoney (Washington) First published February 17, 2014: 7:56 AM ET

Totally unacceptable.

On 5/7/2023 at 8:24 AM, DKW 86 said:

I don't disagree about the Carter years. 

What is good pay today is greatly impacted by the status of the individual.  For example, my neighbor's son is less than a year removed from basic training.  He is single.  He is now 19 years old. He is currently receiving monthly deposits from the Army of approx $2,300.  He also has housing provided. If there was inadequate housing etc, he would receive an additional BAH (basic allowance for housing).  I believe that he is currently E-3.  He also receives around $450 per month for meals.  He is doing well for a 19 year old.  Add other benefits like healthcare to the total compensation package and it is very respectable.

That would change drastically if he was to get married and start pumping out kids.  His allowances would increase, but they wouldn't increase enough to make providing for 3 kids and wife that doesn't work easy.  That is true whether someone is in the military or a civilian.  Choices impact outcomes.  If we were talking about compulsory service, the conversation would be a very different one indeed.

Army or civilian, I am shocked at how easy it is for many to get food stamps.  I'm not saying that many don't need them, most do, but some need them much more than others.  I have seen first hand how retailers adjust their prices up drastically in areas where more customers are paying with food stamps.  Rural areas have been hit hard by grocers manipulating the rules and over charging.  I was in a rural area a few days ago and ran into the local Piggly Wiggly to grab a couple things.  It was like shopping in a gas station.  The store was privately owned.  The same owner has 8 or 9 other stores, all in low income rural areas and all with the same business model.... price mark ups on all items eligible to be purchased with EBT funds.

I say all that to make this point.  If someone is a low ranking enlisted soldier and has several dependents, they will qualify for food assistance programs in the state where they live.  With that amount  being in the $600 to $900 range, most will understandably seek it out.  The Army can't afford to raise salaries of enlisted soldiers with dependents to an amount that would make them ineligible for the assistance.  If they did that, an E-3 with less than 5 years service would have to be paid around $4,000/month plus benefits and housing etc.....making the total compensation somewhere around $6,000/month. 

We then have to ask how we would justify paying someone with a house full of dependents significantly more than someone without?  Do they not do the same job?

It really is a complicated set of factors to consider.  

Edited by AU9377
  • Like 1

Part of the price for wage growth decoupling from productivity.  All part of the grotesque inequality.  All part of a system of taxation that allows the wealthiest members of society to pay the lowest rates with no employment taxes.

The capital class in this country has no concern for society, no sense of any civic duty, no sense of humanity.  The capital class owns the political class who has, abdicated it's role of balancing the interests and power of capital versus society.

We have lived through this before.  When the top 1% takes more of the productivity of this country than the bottom 40%, when the extreme portions of the largest incomes aren't taxed progressively,,, society (and eventually the economy) will suffer.  We are the most unequal (by income) society in the free world.  That, combined with the fact that we do not have healthcare, childcare for everyone puts an extreme strain on the lower half of the country.  It is unfair, unjust, unsustainable.