5.6.23 Football Articles

aubiefifty

Auburn Lands Ex-Michigan State Quarterback Payton Thorne - WAKA 8

WAKA 8,

2–3 minutes

Posted: May 5, 2023 3:55 PM CDT

by WAKA 8

FILE – Michigan State quarterback Payton Thorne (10) looks to pass the ball during the second half of an NCAA college football game against Illinois, Saturday, Nov. 5, 2022, in Champaign, Ill. (AP Photo/Matt Marton, File)

Former Michigan State quarterback Payton Thorne is headed to Auburn.

Auburn announced the signing of the two-year starter on Friday, giving new coach Hugh Freeze an experienced quarterback to boost a passing game that ranked among the nation’s worst last season.

Thorne went 16-10 as a starter for the Spartans. He has thrown for 6,494 yards with 49 touchdowns against 24 interceptions.

Spartans coach Mel Tucker had said this spring that the two-time team captain was part of an open competition to take the first snap next season.

Thorne ranks fourth in career touchdown passes at Michigan State, fifth in completion percentage (61) and sixth in passing yards.

He started all 12 games last season, passing for 2,679 yards with 19 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. The fifth-year senior, who has two years of eligibility remaining, led Michigan State to a Peach Bowl victory.

Auburn returns Robby Ashford, who started much of last season after transferring from Oregon, and redshirt freshman Holden Geriner. Onetime starter T.J. Finley has announced his plans to transfer.

Tigers quarterbacks combined for just nine passing touchdowns last season while ranking 119th in passing yards per game, averaging 173. Ashford proved a running threat while completing just 49% of his passes.

Geriner played briefly in only one game as a freshman. Freshman Hank Brown, whom Freeze recruited at Liberty, is also set to join the mix.

(Copyright 2023 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

whnt.com

Michigan State QB transfer commits to Auburn

Josiah Elmore

~2 minutes

Michigan State quarterback Payton Thorne (10) plays against Purdue during the second half of an NCAA college football game in West Lafayette, Ind., Saturday,…

Michigan State quarterback Payton Thorne (10) plays against Purdue during the second half of an NCAA college football game in West Lafayette, Ind., Saturday, Nov. 6, 2021. Purdue defeated Michigan State 40-29. (AP Photo/Michael Conroy)

by: Josiah Elmore

Posted: May 5, 2023 / 01:01 PM CDT

Updated: May 5, 2023 / 01:01 PM CDT

AUBURN, Ala. (WHNT) – Hugh Freeze and the Auburn Tigers have landed a former Power Five starting quarterback in the transfer portal.

Former Michigan State quarterback Payton Thorne announced Friday that he would be transferring to the Plains.

Thorne spent three seasons with the Spartans appearing in 29 games. He has thrown for 6,493 yards, 49 touchdowns and 24 interceptions during his career. Thorne has also rushed for six touchdowns in his career.

Thorne was the captain for the Spartans the last two years and a three-time Academic All-Big Ten selection. He has two years of eligibility remaining.

He joins the Auburn quarterback room just days after TJ Finley announced he would enter the transfer portal amid a quarterback battle with Robby Ashford and Holden Geriner.

Cam Newton: ‘You’re scaring people with how you look’

Published: May. 05, 2023, 2:30 p.m.

4–5 minutes

Former NFL quarterback Cam Newton visits the Auburn facilities during the football program’s pro day on March 21, 2023, in Auburn.(AP Photo/Butch Dill)

By

Mark Inabinett | minabinett@al.com

Former NFL MVP Cam Newton said he has had contact with teams about returning to the NFL this year after not playing during the 2022 season.

Newton wants the opportunity to compete for a starting spot at quarterback and has stated he doesn’t think there are 32 quarterbacks better than he is. He also has announced a list of quarterbacks that he’d be fine backing up if a starting opportunity is not available.

MORE NFL:

· TITANS’ ROGER MCCREARY WILLING TO SACRIFICE BAKED BEANS TO IMPROVE

· TITANS’ TOP PICK: ‘IT’S GOING TO BE AN HONOR TO BLOCK FOR DERRICK HENRY’

· EAGLES THINK TYLER STEEN CAN CHANGE POSITIONS

During an appearance on “Undefined with Josina Anderson” this week, Newton was asked if his appearance, particularly his hair, was keeping him from getting an NFL opportunity.

“It’s been a hinderance,” Newton said, “and I’m not changing. This is one thing I do understand about my stance, especially with the NFL. It’s such a prestigious brotherhood, fraternity. Whether I go back or not, I always can be able to say I did it at a high level. Where I’m at right now in my life, do I need the NFL? No. Does the NFL need me? Hell no. I think that understanding is the reason why I’m able to kind of just be fine.

“But, yeah, people have hinted towards to say, ‘Cam, we want you to go back to the 2015 clean-cut Cam.’ But that was a different me. Like right now, where I’m at is really embracing who I am, right?”

Newton said he didn’t think his hair would be the reason if he did not get another chance in the NFL.

“I gained a lot of great counsel from a lot of people,” Newton said. “And the thing that is always mentioned is: Cam, you’re scaring people with how you look. And I would say -- I’m not going to name names -- but there’s other quarterbacks in the league that don’t look like me, but they got long hair. They don’t scare them, do they? We can go tit for tat and tat for tit with it, but I would just turn an eye to that and say, ‘Look, that’s not the reason why I’m not in the NFL.’

“I hope I’m not being blackballed for that, but I don’t think that’s the situation. I’m at a situation where I’m not getting no younger. There’s guys that are cheaper than me that probably have a step up on me. It’s discretionary. But I’m in a good space. They can think what they want, but the reality of it is: Who knows? My hair is deeply rooted in my culture and the people who look like me, and I’ve always wanted to impact and empower my community first.”

Newton won the Heisman Trophy in 2010, when Auburn captured the BCS national championship to cap an unbeaten season.

The first pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, Newton helped the Carolina Panthers win six NFC South titles over the next nine seasons while becoming the franchise’s all-time passing leader, setting the league record for touchdowns scored by a quarterback and winning the 2015 NFL Most Valuable Player Award.

But Newton hasn’t thrown a pass in an NFL game since Dec. 26, 2021 and wasn’t on a team during the 2022 season.

“I have spoken with some teams,” Newton said, “and it was kind of the same sentiment: We’re going to see after the draft.”

The 2023 NFL Draft was held April 27-29, and 14 quarterbacks were chosen.

FOR MORE OF AL.COM’S COVERAGE OF THE NFL, GO TO OUR NFL PAGE

Mark Inabinett is a sports reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter at @AMarkG1.

Fired former Auburn head coach catches stray from analyst

Andrew Hughes
~3 minutes

Fired former Auburn football head coach Bryan Harsin caught a stray from OutKick's Glenn Guilbeau while talking about the Tigers' QB situation Mandatory Credit: The Montgomery Advertiser

Fired former Auburn football head coach Bryan Harsin caught a stray from OutKick's Glenn Guilbeau while talking about the Tigers' QB situation Mandatory Credit: The Montgomery Advertiser

As OutKick’s Glenn Guilbeau was addressing Payton Thorne’s commitment to the Auburn football program, Bryan Harsin came up — and Guilbeau didn’t take it easy on the fired former Tigers head coach, calling the quarterback situation he left behind for new head coach Hugh Freeze a “disaster.”

“First-year coach Hugh Freeze basically did not have a real starting quarterback after replacing the disaster that was coach Bryan Harsin following the 2022 season,” Guilbeau said.

The OutKick writer’s comments can be read as a direct shot to incumbent starter Robby Ashford and redshirt second-year signal-caller Holden Geriner, though going through a coaching transition in each’s first year on the Plains certainly makes things more difficult for everyone.

Analyst suggests Auburn football landed Payton Thorne with NIL offer

Guilbeau seemed to suggest that the Auburn football brain trust offered the Michigan State transfer Thorne a lucrative NIL offer to lock in the graduate transfer, which is certainly a possibility in this current iteration of college football free agency.

“Freeze had been looking for someone like Thorne for some time, and Thorne likely would have remained the starter had he stayed at Michigan State,” Guilbeau wrote. “And Thorne did not enter the portal until last Sunday – the last day to do so. Perhaps a lucrative Name, Image & Likeness deal happened.”

Thorne comes to the Plains having seen a sharp descent from the near-top of the Big Ten to the bottom half of the conference in his last two seasons at Michigan State, and he now has the chance to help lead a more passionate fanbase in the opposite direction under a new head coach looking to prove himself.

Freeze had told anyone that would listen that not just any transfer was going to join his first Tigers team on the staff, and he similarly said he wouldn’t just hand anyone the job. Still, with Ashford, Geriner, and the recently transferred TJ Finley not showing capable of grasping the starting role, Thorne appears to be a lock to lead Freeze and Philip Montgomery’s offense out on Pat Dye Field on September 2.

flywareagle.com

Incoming Auburn football freshman QB sends strong message on teammates: ‘Blessing’ to get feedback

Andrew Hughes
2–3 minutes

Incoming Auburn football quarterback Hank Brown sent a strong message about learning from his fellow Tigers signal-callers Mandatory Credit: The Tennessean

Incoming Auburn football quarterback Hank Brown sent a strong message about learning from his fellow Tigers signal-callers Mandatory Credit: The Tennessean

Incoming Auburn football quarterback Hank Brown, a former Liberty commit who Hugh Freeze flipped to the Tigers following his own move to the Plains, is excited to join his fellow quarterbacks — saying that it’ll be a “blessing” to learn from the players already in the room.

“It was really awesome to see how three or four different quarterback guys are able to help us,” Brown told Jason Caldwell of Auburn Undercover. “They all have different strengths, so it’s going to be such a blessing to be able to get feedback from them at all times. Being able to work with them and help me get through the playbook and working with my mechanics, it’s going to be awesome.”

The Lipscomb Academy product told Caldwell he was excited to finally get on campus and show the new coaching staff what he is capable of.

“It’s definitely more motivation just for me to be ready,” Brown prefaced before saying, “When that time comes, to be able to compete with them, I’m super excited. I’m going to do whatever I can to help out.”

Hank Brown expected to redshirt with Auburn football in 2023

Though it’s unclear if Brown will have Robby Ashford, Holden Geriner, and T.J. Finley — the latter of whom is seemingly waiting to graduate before entering the transfer portal due to a perceived disrespect from Freeze wanting to add another portal QB — in front of him on the depth chart come summer, the Nashville native is expected to take a redshirt regardless according to Auburn Wire’s Taylor Jones.

“Hank Brown will be the youngest QB in the room heading into the fall after signing with the Tigers 2023 recruiting class,” Jones said. “No matter if Ashford wins the battle, or Freeze elects to bring in a transfer during the May 1-15 transfer portal window, I see Brown redshirting this season and using this time to better his craft under his new head coach.”

• Thanks 1

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Looking back at T.J. Finley's time at Auburn

Taylor Jones
11–14 minutes

The two-year Auburn career of quarterback T.J. Finley has officially come to a close, as he announced this week that he will enter the transfer portal as a graduate student once he receives his degree from Auburn University this upcoming weekend.

Finley transferred to Auburn after spending his freshman season at LSU, where he appeared in five games during the 2020 season. As a Bayou Bengal, Finley completed 80-of-140 passes for 941 yards and five touchdowns. His best game in purple and gold was against South Carolina on Oct. 24, 2020, when he completed 81% of his passes for 265 yards and two touchdowns in LSU’s 52-24 win over the Gamecocks.

Buy Tigers Tickets

Finley played a major role in Auburn’s 2021 matchup with Georgia State, as he led the Tigers to a last-minute scoring drive to avoid a monumental upset to the Panthers. He also took over the starting quarterback role for the final three games of the 2021 season after starter Bo Nix suffered an ankle injury in Auburn’s 43-34 loss to Mississippi State.

He assumed the role of starting quarterback for the 2022 season, beating out Oregon transfer Robby Ashford and true freshman Holden Geriner. He would start in the Tigers’ first three games, but a shoulder injury he suffered against Penn State would end his season. He concluded the 2022 season by passing for 431 yards and a touchdown with four interceptions.

His Auburn career ends with 1,258 passing yards on 103-of-180 completions.

As Finley begins to embark on a new journey, here’s a look back at some of the key moments of his career at Auburn.

10-Auburn-4.jpg?w=1000

AU FB practice

T.J. Finley throws in practice Tuesday.

T.J. Finley throws in practice Tuesday. Auburn football practice on Tuesday, Aug. 10, 2021 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

24-Auburn-3.jpg?w=1000

AU Football practice

T.J. Finley

T.J. Finley Auburn football practice on Tuesday, Aug. 24, 2021 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

USATSI_16688315.jpg?w=1000

Syndication: The Montgomery Advertiser

Auburn Tigers quarterback T.J. Finley (1) throws the ball during warm ups at Jordan-Hare Stadium in…

Auburn Tigers quarterback T.J. Finley (1) throws the ball during warm ups at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala., on Saturday, Sept. 4, 2021.

USATSI_16827797.jpg?w=1000

Auburn Tigers quarterback T.J. Finley (1) runs the ball at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala., on…

Auburn Tigers quarterback T.J. Finley (1) runs the ball at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala., on Saturday, Sept. 25, 2021. Auburn Tigers defeated Georgia State Panthers 34-24.

USATSI_16827935.jpg?w=1000

Auburn Tigers quarterback T.J. Finley (1) gets a pass off as he falls forward at Jordan-Hare…

Auburn Tigers quarterback T.J. Finley (1) gets a pass off as he falls forward at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala., on Saturday, Sept. 25, 2021. Auburn Tigers defeated Georgia State Panthers 34-24.

1346930299.jpg?w=1000

Auburn v Arkansas

FAYETTEVILLE, ARKANSAS - OCTOBER 16: T.J. Finley #1 and Bo Nix #10 of the Auburn Tigers…

FAYETTEVILLE, ARKANSAS - OCTOBER 16: T.J. Finley #1 and Bo Nix #10 of the Auburn Tigers bump together before a game against the Arkansas Razorbacks at Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium on October 16, 2021 in Fayetteville, Arkansas. (Photo by Wesley Hitt/Getty Images)

19-Auburn-6.jpg?w=1000

AU FB Scrimmage

T.J. Finley (1)

T.J. Finley (1) Auburn football scrimmage on Friday, Aug. 19, 2022 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

USATSI_16827833.jpg?w=1000

Auburn Tigers quarterback T.J. Finley (1) celebrates with the fans after the game at Jordan-Hare Stadium…

Auburn Tigers quarterback T.J. Finley (1) celebrates with the fans after the game at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala., on Saturday, Sept. 25, 2021. Auburn Tigers defeated Georgia State Panthers 34-24. © Jake Crandall via Imagn Content Services, LLC

USATSI_17244662.jpg?w=1000

Alabama Crimson Tide quarterback Bryce Young (9) and Auburn Tigers quarterback T.J. Finley (1) shake hands…

Alabama Crimson Tide quarterback Bryce Young (9) and Auburn Tigers quarterback T.J. Finley (1) shake hands after the game during the Iron Bowl at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala., on Saturday, Nov. 27, 2021. Alabama Crimson Tide defeated Auburn Tigers 24-22 in 4OT.

USATSI_17418644.jpg?w=1000

Auburn Tigers quarterback T.J. Finley (1) greets in the Tiger Walk before the Birmingham Bowl at…

Auburn Tigers quarterback T.J. Finley (1) greets in the Tiger Walk before the Birmingham Bowl at Protective Stadium in Birmingham, Ala., on Tuesday December 28, 2021. © Jake Crandall / USA TODAY NETWORK

USATSI_17419127.jpg?w=1000

Auburn Tigers quarterback T.J. Finley (1) passes against Houston during the Birmingham Bowl at Protective Stadium…

Auburn Tigers quarterback T.J. Finley (1) passes against Houston during the Birmingham Bowl at Protective Stadium in Birmingham, Ala., on Tuesday December 28, 2021. Bham06

USATSI_17420277.jpg?w=1000

Auburn Tigers quarterback T.J. Finley (1) looks on during the Birmingham Bowl at Protective Stadium in…

Auburn Tigers quarterback T.J. Finley (1) looks on during the Birmingham Bowl at Protective Stadium in Birmingham, Ala., on Tuesday December 28, 2021. © Jake Crandall / USA TODAY NETWORK

152581d7db274fe2aefe1ae225d16dbc-1.jpg?w

T.J. Finley

Auburn quarterback T.J. Finley (1) warms up during the A-Day NCAA college spring football game at…

Auburn quarterback T.J. Finley (1) warms up during the A-Day NCAA college spring football game at Jordan-Hare Stadium, Saturday, April 9, 2022, in Auburn, Alabama. AP Photo/Butch Dill

USATSI_18050985.jpg?w=1000

Auburn Tigers quarterback T.J. Finley (1) warms up during the A-Day spring practice at Jordan-Hare Stadium…

Auburn Tigers quarterback T.J. Finley (1) warms up during the A-Day spring practice at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala., on Saturday, April 9, 2022.

040222-Scrimmage-tve-2.jpg?w=1000

AU FB scrimmage

T.J. Finley (1)

T.J. Finley (1) Auburn FB scrimmage on Saturday, April 2, 2022 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

1242926409.jpg?w=1000

Mercer v Auburn

AUBURN, ALABAMA - SEPTEMBER 03: Quarterback T.J. Finley #1 of the Auburn Tigers looks to throw…

AUBURN, ALABAMA - SEPTEMBER 03: Quarterback T.J. Finley #1 of the Auburn Tigers looks to throw the ball behind offensive lineman Brandon Council #71 of the Auburn Tigers during the first half of play of their game against the Mercer Bears at Jordan-Hare Stadium on September 03, 2022 in Auburn, Alabama. (Photo by Michael Chang/Getty Images)

f9798f42ed79467b9cbd599d8d2cba26.jpg?w=1

San Jose St Auburn Football

Auburn quarterback T.J. Finley warms up for the team's NCAA college football game against San Jose…

Auburn quarterback T.J. Finley warms up for the team's NCAA college football game against San Jose State on Saturday, Sept. 10, 2022, in Auburn, Ala. (AP Photo/Butch Dill)

USATSI_19025516.jpg?w=1000

Auburn Tigers quarterback T.J. Finley (1) celebrates his touchdown run as Auburn Tigers take on San…

Auburn Tigers quarterback T.J. Finley (1) celebrates his touchdown run as Auburn Tigers take on San Jose State Spartans at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala., on Saturday, Sept. 10, 2022.

USATSI_19024534.jpg?w=1000

Auburn Tigers quarterback T.J. Finley (1) throws the ball as Auburn Tigers take on San Jose…

Auburn Tigers quarterback T.J. Finley (1) throws the ball as Auburn Tigers take on San Jose State Spartans at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala., on Saturday, Sept. 10, 2022. San Jose State Spartans lead Auburn Tigers 10-7 at halftime.

79b6ab2c94b748929524969828a068a0.jpg?w=1

T.J. Finley

Auburn quarterback T.J. Finley warms up before an NCAA college football game against Mercer Saturday, Sept.…

Auburn quarterback T.J. Finley warms up before an NCAA college football game against Mercer Saturday, Sept. 3, 2022, in Auburn, Ala. (AP Photo/Butch Dill)

17-auburn-5.jpg?w=1000

FTBL: FOOTBALL

Sep 17, 2022; Auburn, Al, USA; T.J. Finley (1) at the Tiger Walk before the game…

Sep 17, 2022; Auburn, Al, USA; T.J. Finley (1) at the Tiger Walk before the game between Auburn and Penn State at Jordan Hare Stadium . Austin Perryman/AU Athletics

e3e17369a6654488b31f7cd115ca00e0.jpg?w=1

Penn St Auburn Football

Auburn quarterback T.J. Finley warms up before an NCAA college football game against Penn State, Saturday,…

Auburn quarterback T.J. Finley warms up before an NCAA college football game against Penn State, Saturday, Sept. 17, 2022, in Auburn, Ala. (AP Photo/Butch Dill)

13dc0f931db848e997140651e2b8f007.jpg?w=1

Penn St Auburn Football

Auburn quarterback T.J. Finley (1) rolls out to pass during the first half of an NCAA…

Auburn quarterback T.J. Finley (1) rolls out to pass during the first half of an NCAA college football game against Penn State, Saturday, Sept. 17, 2022, in Auburn, Ala. (AP Photo/Butch Dill)

1243311671.jpg?w=1000

Penn State v Auburn

AUBURN, ALABAMA - SEPTEMBER 17: Quarterback T.J. Finley #1 of the Auburn Tigers scrambles and escapes…

AUBURN, ALABAMA - SEPTEMBER 17: Quarterback T.J. Finley #1 of the Auburn Tigers scrambles and escapes a tackle by linebacker Dominic DeLuca #34 of the Penn State Nittany Lions during the first half of play at Jordan-Hare Stadium on September 17, 2022 in Auburn, Alabama. (Photo by Michael Chang/Getty Images)

USATSI_19065358.jpg?w=1000

Auburn Tigers quarterback T.J. Finley (1) is upended by Penn State Nittany Lions defensive back Johnny…

Auburn Tigers quarterback T.J. Finley (1) is upended by Penn State Nittany Lions defensive back Johnny Dixon (3) as the Auburn Tigers take on the Penn State Nittany Lions at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala., on Saturday, Sept. 17, 2022. © Jake Crandall / Advertiser / USA TODAY NETWORK

1243311487-1.jpg?w=1000

Penn State v Auburn

AUBURN, ALABAMA - SEPTEMBER 17: Quarterback T.J. Finley #1 of the Auburn Tigers jumps after a…

AUBURN, ALABAMA - SEPTEMBER 17: Quarterback T.J. Finley #1 of the Auburn Tigers jumps after a live ball in front of defensive end Adisa Isaac #20 of the Penn State Nittany Lions during the first half of play at Jordan-Hare Stadium on September 17, 2022 in Auburn, Alabama. (Photo by Michael Chang/Getty Images)

USATSI_19320447.jpg?w=1000

Auburn Tigers quarterback T.J. Finley (1) walks the field before the Auburn Tigers take on the…

Auburn Tigers quarterback T.J. Finley (1) walks the field before the Auburn Tigers take on the Arkansas Razorbacks at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala., on Saturday, Oct. 29, 2022.

USATSI_19320664.jpg?w=1000

Auburn Tigers quarterback T.J. Finley (1) warms up before Auburn Tigers take on Arkansas Razorbacks at…

Auburn Tigers quarterback T.J. Finley (1) warms up before Auburn Tigers take on Arkansas Razorbacks at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala., on Saturday, Oct. 29, 2022.

USATSI_20285907.jpg?w=1000

Auburn Tigers quarterback T.J. Finley (1) throws the ball during Auburn Tigers Pro Day at Woltosz…

Auburn Tigers quarterback T.J. Finley (1) throws the ball during Auburn Tigers Pro Day at Woltosz Football Performance Center in Auburn, Ala., on Tuesday, March 21, 2023.

USATSI_20422831.jpg?w=1000

Auburn Tigers quarterback T.J. Finley (1) warms up during the A-Day spring football game at Jordan-Hare…

Auburn Tigers quarterback T.J. Finley (1) warms up during the A-Day spring football game at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala., on Saturday, April 8, 2023.