Sanctioning lying lawyers

33 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Do you think they actually ever thought that OJ didn't do it? 

Do you think that trumps's attorneys don't think he assaulted Carroll?

Do you think that Manson's attorneys believed he didn't do it?

That’s not my question nor your assertion. If I’m a defense attorney I owe my client a vigorous defense in which I require the state to prove its case. That doesn’t require that I lie or believe innocence. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

That’s not my question nor your assertion. If I’m a defense attorney I owe my client a vigorous defense in which I require the state to prove its case. That doesn’t require that I lie or believe innocence. 

TA-DA! I never said otherwise. I said that anyone who could defend someone who knew they were guilty was terrible for society and that I could not do it for long. it would eat me up.

Attorneys OF COURSE do not care whether they are doing the right thing or not. They care about winning the case and nothing more. They are hired guns, and advocates. They are not righteous do-gooders.

23 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

TA-DA! I never said otherwise. I said that anyone who could defend someone who knew they were guilty was terrible for society and that I could not do it for long. it would eat me up.

Attorneys OF COURSE do not care whether they are doing the right thing or not. They care about winning the case and nothing more. They are hired guns, and advocates. They are not righteous do-gooders.

If one believes in our system of Justice they understand that it’s critical that the state be held to its duty of proving guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. I think a “righteous” defense attorney sees that as an important and ethical task. If I’m a court appointed defense attorney I’m going to insist the state play by the book whether I believe my client is guilty or not. If they violate the Constitution I’ll fight like hell to hold them accountable. If my guilty client benefits from that, that’s an outcome of a system that protects us all should we face an accusation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Not all lawyers do criminal work.  I have done both and I can honestly say that I would trust more of my criminal defendants than I would business clients.  Greed is a powerful and ugly part of who we have become in this country.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Not all lawyers do criminal work.  I have done both and I can honestly say that I would trust more of my criminal defendants than I would business clients.  Greed is a powerful and ugly part of who we have become in this country.

I have come to that realization myself. My own experiences with the Fortune 500 have from pretty nice with a German Company to straight-up awful with a Chinese-American company.