Bill Frists thoughts on Gun Control

arein0

26 minutes ago, homersapien said:

High velocity makes standard AR-15 rounds do a lot of damage. Far more than say, 9mm pistol rounds, for example.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/interactive/2023/ar-15-damage-to-human-body/

You’re comparing a rifle round to a handgun - it isn’t even the same sport.  Compare the 5.56 to a .308, 30-30 or .30-06. 

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

a man is not going to wipe out a whole school of kids with a snubnose. the point is they want to give folks a chance to live through an attack. maybe there are other ways but the right keeps stonewalling on it and people are dying in record numbers.

Do you even take the time to think through any of what others have to say? 

So for you it is just about stopping the 600-700 deaths a year and the others don't matter because it is just about that type of gun? The other deaths don't matter and the left does not want to go after other guns to stop those deaths? Is this what you are saying?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

Finally - as the owner of a shotgun, a (civilian) BAR and a snub-nosed revolver

I know you have me on ignore, but this is just too rich to pass up.  What is a (civilian) BAR?  Why it’s a military weapon that can be sold to a civilian because it is a semi-automatic just like the AR-15.  The BAR was one of the guns they taxed out of existence in 1934 because it was one of the gangsters favorite guns.

I know it’s a hunting rifle now, but are you ready to give it up?  It is a weapon of war.

4 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Do you even take the time to think through any of what others have to say? 

So for you it is just about stopping the 600-700 deaths a year and the others don't matter because it is just about that type of gun? The other deaths don't matter and the left does not want to go after other guns to stop those deaths? Is this what you are saying?

you guys are not saying crap. youare not trying to find a middle ground. let me say this. i would give up my guns if the government asked and i knew it would save lives. all i know is the more we delay the more people die.

• Like 1

Just now, aubiefifty said:

you guys are not saying crap. youare not trying to find a middle ground. let me say this. i would give up my guns if the government asked and i knew it would save lives. all i know is the more we delay the more people die.

Why wait, turn your guns in right now.  How many life’s do you think will be saved when you do?

6 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I know you have me on ignore, but this is just too rich to pass up.  What is a (civilian) BAR?  Why it’s a military weapon that can be sold to a civilian because it is a semi-automatic just like the AR-15.  The BAR was one of the guns they taxed out of existence in 1934 because it was one of the gangsters favorite guns.

I know it’s a hunting rifle now, but are you ready to give it up?  It is a weapon of war.

that is not true dude. i have a close friend had a thompson submachine gun in the late seventies. he had to jump through hoops to include a photo ID among other things. they checked him out very well. i believe the license cost him 500 bucks but he paid it. i know because he let me go with him and shoot it.

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Why wait, turn your guns in right now.  How many life’s do you think will be saved when you do?

see you are a jackass all the time and yet you call others out when you feel frosty. you are a hypo dude. i understand why homie blocked you. you are an idiot that does not know to admit when you are wrong or even apologize when you are. so save us the lectures ..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

If the right could/would trust the left to stay with just AR's I am certain there would be compromise. I already said I am fine with a ban on them, but I am not willing to give up the 2A. But where does it stop after AR's?

• Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

see you are a jackass all the time and yet you call others out when you feel frosty. you are a hypo dude. i understand why homie blocked you. you are an idiot that does not know to admit when you are wrong or even apologize when you are. so save us the lectures ..

Do what you think is right and what you want everybody else to do.  Step up and be a leader.

1 minute ago, wdefromtx said:

If the right could/would trust the left to stay with just AR's I am certain there would be compromise. I already said I am fine with a ban on them, but I am not willing to give up the 2A. But where does it stop after AR's?

then i applaud you. i just go further. if we had to give up our guns i would if it saved lives. but making excuses instead of searching for answers is not helping.

Just now, I_M4_AU said:

Do what you think is right and what you want everybody else to do.  Step up and be a leader.

i have already stated that. hell YOU guys with all the radical right wingers are the ones mostly killing people other than gang banger stuff. big trump supporter with death squad patches. you get your crazies to disarm first and i will gladly follow ...........

6 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

that is not true dude. i have a close friend had a thompson submachine gun in the late seventies. he had to jump through hoops to include a photo ID among other things. they checked him out very well. i believe the license cost him 500 bucks but he paid it. i know because he let me go with him and shoot it.

It is true, they didn’t ban the weapon, they just taxed it like your friend had to do to own the Thompson.  If you pay the taxes and fees you can own one, but you sure will be vetted.

Just now, aubiefifty said:

i have already stated that. hell YOU guys with all the radical right wingers are the ones mostly killing people other than gang banger stuff. big trump supporter with death squad patches. you get your crazies to disarm first and i will gladly follow ...........

Be a leader, fifty.  Step up.

Just now, I_M4_AU said:

It is true, they didn’t ban the weapon, they just taxed it like your friend had to do to own the Thompson.  If you pay the taxes and fees you can own one, but you sure will be vetted.

thats right and i am not sure of they still do that any more.

Just now, I_M4_AU said:

Be a leader, fifty.  Step up.

quit being a richard and sit down dude. you are wasting my time.

Edited by aubiefifty
  • Like 1

thats right and i am not sure of they still do that any more.

They banned newly manufactured rifles in 86, but allows the resale of old ones.

Federal law prohibits the possession of newly manufactured machine guns, but permits the transfer of machine guns lawfully owned prior to May 19, 1986, if the transfer is approved by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives. As a result, a substantial number of machine guns are still in circulation.

Just now, I_M4_AU said:

They banned newly manufactured rifles in 86, but allows the resale of old ones.

Federal law prohibits the possession of newly manufactured machine guns, but permits the transfer of machine guns lawfully owned prior to May 19, 1986, if the transfer is approved by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives. As a result, a substantial number of machine guns are still in circulation.

but not just any moron can go buy one. i doubt it is perfect but i bet it slows it way down on violence.

27 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

ok. what is your side doing then wde? nothing. you guys do not understand the nra and other groups have poured tons of money into pro gun pols and nothing is getting done. nothing. and kids are dying while reading dick and jane.

see dick.

see dick run.

see dick screaming in terror as his friend gets her face blown off.

see jane.

jane is not running. jane is dead because we are giving guns to any fookin idiot that wants one. jane never hurt a soul in her life.

You continue to harp on the NRA and the money you spend.  Let’s be honest, your issue is with the message not the money.   The left is throwing much more money around, but because you’re on their side, you don’t care. 

26 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

you keep ignoring my question. do you own a bump stock?

Nope - never have, not have I ever wanted to.  Wasting ammo at a high rate doesn’t really appeal to me.  Other than when I carried a belt fed machine gun (M-60 or M-249) in the Army, I rarely shot on anything other than semi automatic.   Definitely don’t want to waste ammo now that I’m paying for it. 

23 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

the left wants people to be safe when they go to school,church,movies, or shopping. THAT is what the left wants. you can change it around all you want. look how much violence went down when ronnie outlawed assault weapons. then go look up how much violence went up after they were made legal again. it is simple math.

If you’re going to hide behind the “feel safe” propaganda, just think of all the other rights they can take away with that playbook. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

but not just any moron can go buy one. i doubt it is perfect but i bet it slows it way down on violence.

Yep:

Only two incidents have been recorded since 1934: one was a doctor or dentist (exact details are sketchy) who used his legally owned sub-machine gun in a murder. The other is much more well known, on September 15th, 1988, Patrolman Roger Waller of the Dayton, OH police department, used his fully automatic MAC-11 .

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

You must not be keeping up with the news - the left has really taken the lead on recent shootings - trans, homosexuals and left wingers are responsible for many of the recent attacks.  

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, GoAU said:

You continue to harp on the NRA and the money you spend.  Let’s be honest, your issue is with the message not the money.   The left is throwing much more money around, but because you’re on their side, you don’t care. 

Nope - never have, not have I ever wanted to.  Wasting ammo at a high rate doesn’t really appeal to me.  Other than when I carried a belt fed machine gun (M-60 or M-249) in the Army, I rarely shot on anything other than semi automatic.   Definitely don’t want to waste ammo now that I’m paying for it. 

If you’re going to hide behind the “feel safe” propaganda, just think of all the other rights they can take away with that playbook. 

Hence the fear of a slippery slope. If it’s about AR’s it’s about saving a few high profile cases. Even then handguns held the top spot for deaths in a mass shooting at 28 for 16 years. 

• Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

On 5/6/2023 at 6:07 PM, GoAU said:

we don’t have a gun problem, we have a crime / culture problem and people are scared to address it.  

That's unique in the global community of developed countries??   :-\

1 hour ago, wdefromtx said:

If we are banning guns do we focus on ones that do massive damage but in numbers exponentially less than others or guns that do less damage but kill more overall? 

Imo they are 2 different problems that require 2 different solutions. I don't think we should ban all guns, the defensive uses stats alone proves that there should be guns.

However I do think we should ban the assault rifles. Those are regularly being used in mass shootings, where the perp walks into a busy place and open fires until they are taken out.

For the smaller guns, it looks like those deaths are attributed to poverty / gang related instances. Based on the stats I've seen, these are being done with illegally obtained weapons, most of which have been stolen. So the solution to this problem will have to be different than solution for the mass shootings.

Right now we as a country are very broken when it comes to the gun culture and it will take a more than just one policy to get us back to normal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

That's unique in the global community of developed countries??   :-\

Look at it from this perspective, until the 1930’s anyone could buy a machine gun, no questions asked.  Since then, semi automatic “assault weapons” have been legal the whole time.  As a matter of fact, the government sold magazine fed, semiautomatic rifles as surplus following WW2 - why is it there hasn’t been a mass shooting problem before now?   Because we have developed a culture problem - but the guns have always been there.  

Edited by GoAU
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

11 minutes ago, arein0 said:

Imo they are 2 different problems that require 2 different solutions. I don't think we should ban all guns, the defensive uses stats alone proves that there should be guns.

However I do think we should ban the assault rifles. Those are regularly being used in mass shootings, where the perp walks into a busy place and open fires until they are taken out.

For the smaller guns, it looks like those deaths are attributed to poverty / gang related instances. Based on the stats I've seen, these are being done with illegally obtained weapons, most of which have been stolen. So the solution to this problem will have to be different than solution for the mass shootings.

Right now we as a country are very broken when it comes to the gun culture and it will take a more than just one policy to get us back to normal.

How do you define “assault weapon”?  What features / characteristics make a rifle an “assault weapon” to you?

Also, the gangs are using all sorts of weapons from handguns all the way through “assault weapons”.  Selectively banning a weapon from the people that actually follow the law will do nothing.   

If you really think the “broken” part of the culture is the guns you’re sorely mistaken.   The fact that people are so twisted that they even think about committing these crimes is a much deeper issue.   Attacking a tool doesn’t address the problem.  All it will do, at the very best, is cause them to use a different tool.  Millions and millions of these rifles are owned by law abiding citizens without any issues - you’re attacking a statistical anomaly by penalizing everybody.  

• Facepalm 1