Fox News Loses Ratings Battle After Tucker Carlson Departure as Rivals Gain

Auburnfan91

Fox News Loses Ratings Battle After Tucker Carlson Departure as Rivals Gain

By Gerrard Kaonga On 4/26/23 at 4:23 AM EDT

Fox News has seen a significant drop in its ratings figures following the departure of prime time host Tucker Carlson.

Network rival Newsmax saw a boost on Monday night following the announcement. MSNBC was also able to narrowly beat Fox News for viewer numbers in the 25-54 demographic during prime time, according to reports.

Carlson and Fox News "agreed to part ways" in an announcement on Monday, stunning conservatives and prompting speculation as to who will replace him in his weekly 8 p.m. time slot and what Carlson's next career move may be.

Fox News said that Tucker Carlson Tonight will be immediately replaced by a rotating cast of personalities on Fox News Tonight, the first being Fox News contributor Brian Kilmeade.

During his first show, Kilmeade said: "As you probably have heard, Fox News and Tucker Carlson have agreed to part ways.

"I wish Tucker the best. I'm great friends with Tucker and always will be. But right now, it's time for Fox News Tonight, so let's get started."

Kilmeade's first night in the role was watched by 2.6 million viewers on Monday compared with Carlson's average 3.3 million viewers over the last eight Mondays, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Despite the 21 percent fall in viewing figures, Fox News was still able to bring in the most viewers overall. A Joe Scarborough Presents special on MSNBC had 1.51 million viewers while CNN's Anderson Cooper 360 was seen by 728,000 people.

Newsmax saw its prime time audience numbers increase as Eric Bolling the Balance had 531,000 viewers for the 8 P.M. show.

Greg Kelly Reports at 9 P.M. also jumped to 540,000 viewers. Both saw their average audience from the first quarter of the year triple, the shows averaging 145,000 for Bolling and 141,000 for Kelly, respectively.

While Fox News maintained the highest prime time average number of viewers compared with CNN and MSNBC, it lost the battle for a key demographic, according to a Mediate report.

Prime time, encompassing shows that air between 8 P.M. and 11 P.M., saw CNN bring in 668,000 viewers. MSNBC attracted 1.97 million while Fox News led with 2.35 million.

However, for the 25-54 demographic, CNN had 133,000 viewers, with Fox News coming in second with 245,000 and MSNBC first with 247,000.

Kilmeade attempted win over Carlson fans and encouraged them to watch his stint on the show. However he was met with a series of noes from social media users who said they would not be watching if Carlson was not involved.

Newsweek has contacted Fox News via email for comment.

https://www.newsweek.com/fox-news-ratings-battle-cnn-newsmaxtucker-carlson-1796708

Are ratings more important than truth?  Clearly, to some they are.

And please, don't feed me that crap about "what is truth?"   We have a judicial finding of fact agreed on by all parties that Fox was pushing untrue information onto their viewers for the purpose of ratings.

Edited by AU9377

I'm sure they'll bounce back after a time. Fox News lost viewers and ratings during the election when they started declaring States for Biden that Trump wouldn't concede, and started having personalities question some of the more outlandish and insane "stolen election conspiracies" that Newsmax and OneAmericanews were pushing, which got them a got a big dump in viewers for a bit, but eventually most of them went back to Fox News after things cooled down a bit. 

Maybe the new Fox host/show wont ever get the same top ratings Carlson got, but I think the overall ratings will stabilize for fox and come back up after a few weeks/months. 

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

The fact that Newsmax has a program with the word "balance" in it has to be the funniest part of that article.

For a long time Fox News's tagline was "Fair and Balanced" 

1 hour ago, CoffeeTiger said:

For a long time Fox News's tagline was "Fair and Balanced" 

I remember. But Newsmax is Fox News’s crazy cousin. 

3 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

If Fox will no longer lie to me,,, I will find someone who will.

or help me legitimize all this hate in my heart. or i will find someone who will..............you are too nice bro. 

5 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

or help me legitimize all this hate in my heart. or i will find someone who will..............you are too nice bro. 

You are right about the hate.  It is very sad.  Anger and hate separate us from Jesus.

2 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

You are right about the hate.  It is very sad.  Anger and hate separate us from Jesus.

i am sure jesus disapproves of me but i am also sure he wants people to stand up for injustice. it is hard to do for me seeing all the people they hurt in their blindness.

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

i am sure jesus disapproves of me but i am also sure he wants people to stand up for injustice. it is hard to do for me seeing all the people they hurt in their blindness.

I am sure Jesus loves you more than you can imagine.

• Love 1