how would you guys rate our coaching staff?

aubiefifty

i am not talking about coach freeze but his staff. i read or heard someone say this is the best staff we have had in forever. anyone want to share any thoughts? personally i think we did great but it is not something i study a lot so i would love to know how you guys in the know would rate us.

It’s really too soon to grade them, imho.   However, I do think there is a ton of potential here.   We’ll see.   
Secondly, they have most definitely put the work in on the recruiting trail!!!   We’ve already gotten some big wins there - Lee, Faulk, others last cycle.   Those OL and others in the portal, and our 2024 class is off to a good start.   And we all know that there is a huge correlation between recruiting and wins, so I expect the wins to come soon.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like the staff a lot. I probably would have chosen a different DC, TE and LB coach, but Hugh probably wanted to bring some guys he was familiar with. I still think that Gene Chizik's first staff was the best we have had. Tuberville had some dogs too. The 2004 staff was incredible. 

• Like 2

Recruiting-  A-

Coaching-   TBD

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Gene Chizik's first staff was the best we have had.

When it comes to recruiting, yes.   As far as coaching, I would disagree.   

The high hopes for our current staff is that they match the recruiting prowess of that group, and also have great coaching chops like that 2004 staff or a few years under Dye.  

I think people are going to be shocked this year when they find out how good this staff really is.  We have not seen consistently competent coaching in years, any competent coaching the last two.  This year will be a stark contrast.  The schedule sets up well for a team that needs to steadily improve. 

This is going to be a fun year.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

some news guy online said it was the best staff we have had in years is why i have asked.

• Like 1

I would agree with what was said earlier.  Great Job coming in and recruiting to get better in line etc.  As far as coaching and future recruiting?  That is yet to be answered.  I believe if we had a reliable QB this year would be surprising.  With what we have...maybe a 6 win season at best....

Really looking forward to seeing what our D will do.  Not strong in the line so far with what we are loosing but hope that changes down the road some...

3 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Hard to argue with those results!   Still the best AU team ever IMHO.   

My freshman year...life was good!

• Love 1

I got snake bit praising the Harsin/Mason/Bobo & Co 2 yrs ago.  

I'll wait on claiming them the best staff AU has had in years. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

I would agree with what was said earlier.  Great Job coming in and recruiting to get better in line etc.  As far as coaching and future recruiting?  That is yet to be answered.  I believe if we had a reliable QB this year would be surprising.  With what we have...maybe a 6 win season at best....

Really looking forward to seeing what our D will do.  Not strong in the line so far with what we are loosing but hope that changes down the road some...

i am as well. it was said probably way too early our D would be a strength. i post so many sports stories i could not even begin to tell you who said it necause i get them jumbled up in my memory. i think out secondary is really going to be fun to watch. it seems like we have a kid who is a headhunter. i always loved thos cats that would come out of nowhere and just drill that behind. i think we are much better this year. the only thing that scares me is picking up the D. if we can learn it and get it down i think we will do better than many expect. but as always i am just a fan with a fans point of view as i do not know a lot about defense. we also have a killer punter. we got speed back with battie. i am looking forward to it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JerryAU said:

I got snake bit praising the Harsin/Mason/Bobo & Co 2 yrs ago.  

I'll wait on claiming them the best staff AU has had in years. 

jerry we were all snake bit if people were honest. he talked a great game until these little uh oh's started coming out. to heck with em and let them eat fish heads. this is a discussion board. remember we had a few coaches that bought in on this board. do not let someone still your thunder. the differing opinions make it more fun. in my opinion your thoughts are probably just as important as running reds and i believe he would agree with me.

10 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

I think people are going to be shocked this year when they find out how good this staff really is.  We have not seen consistently competent coaching in years, any competent coaching the last two.  This year will be a stark contrast.  The schedule sets up well for a team that needs to steadily improve. 

This is going to be a fun year.

Completely agree

I love the mix of former coordinators, experience, youth, and alumni.

I thing CJG is gonna be a Force at DL coach.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, bigbird said:

Completely agree

I love the mix of former coordinators, experience, youth, and alumni.

I thing CJG is gonna be a Force at DL coach.

we got a headhunter or two in the secondary and i am super excited about that. i love to some some young cat whp normally is not big decleat some dude that is usually bigger. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DAG said:

2 stars 

folks say there is only room for one star on the team so who is the other star we let go?

PG

parental guidance suggested

Edited by AUx
  • Like 1

This staff has come in hitting the recruiting harder than the last two coaches, maybe because they are way better or because we are so far behind others. I think it was a super upgrading from previous coaches in recruiting as others have talked a good game but never played it. Coaching players and game time is a wait and see prospect.

These guys can recruit and seem to be doing all the right things on the team culture front. Ultimately I’ll have to judge them on how they game plan and execute vs the likes of UAT, UGA, and LSU. 

Edited by Gowebb11

Notwithstanding that they haven't coached a single game at Auburn, IMHO their optics are fine and recruiting is so far somewhere between Harsin & Malzahn (based on ratings AND needs - Gus had top 10 classes that didnt meet huge O line needs. The Frozen haven't yet met a couple big needs, not just a vet QB so they can bring Holden along). Fwiw, my biggest worry when this staff was put together wasn't the staff (which IMO is excellent on paper) but rather Hugh's smarmy reputation. That Bamaham media driven narrative has been off the sports page a while now, thanks it seems to Hugh's forthrightness and owning his past.