Post spring rankings in the SEC

gr82b4au

I would disagree we should be somewhere around 8-10 

5 hours ago, weagl1 said:

Auburn is historically at its best when underestimated.  

Maybe so, but we are far too deficient in talent at important positions. I unfortunately agree with the ranking. It could take three years to dig out of this crap. Here’s hoping HF is the guy to do it.

• Like 1

Something I've heard Coach Freeze mention a few times lately is that this won't be a quick turnaround like he initially thought. He said that he was able to turn Arky State, Ole Miss and Liberty around fairly quick and he assumed this would be the same. Once he really got to sit down and watch film from last season and then talk to Zac and Caddy about the returning players on our roster, he quickly realized this won't be a quick fix. He is also telling fans to temper our expectations for this season. 

This is going to be a complete rebuild imo. When Chizik and Gus took over, they had talent on the returning roster and quiet a bit of it. Freeze is taking over a program that's been mismanaged for 3 years and a roster that is down on talent and depth. 

We are headed in the right direction and we have the right head coach. It's just gonna take time. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

He said that he was able to turn Arky State, Ole Miss and Liberty around fairly quick and he assumed this would be the same.

Revisionist history. Freeze was most definitely facing a worse situation when he got to OM. They were 2-10 in 2011 and 4-8 the year before. They got blown out by LOUISIANA TECH. Easily one of the top five worst SEC teams of the decade; the program was in arguably as bad a place as Arkansas when Pittman got there.

In 2012 they went 6-6 and won the B'ham Bowl. 2013 they went 7-5 and won the Music City Bowl. So it was not a "quick turnaround."

This year, get to a bowl. Next year, win eight games. The year after, win nine games. And finally, in year 4, make the playoffs.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

This year, get to a bowl. Next year, win eight games. The year after, win nine games. And finally, in year 4, make the playoffs.

I like this outlook. We really need a top 10 class. 

11 hours ago, AUwent said:

Revisionist history. Freeze was most definitely facing a worse situation when he got to OM. They were 2-10 in 2011 and 4-8 the year before. They got blown out by LOUISIANA TECH. Easily one of the top five worst SEC teams of the decade; the program was in arguably as bad a place as Arkansas when Pittman got there.

In 2012 they went 6-6 and won the B'ham Bowl. 2013 they went 7-5 and won the Music City Bowl. So it was not a "quick turnaround."

I'm just quoting what he said. He also said it in his introductory press conference when Cohen introduced him as our new HC. Don't shoot the messenger

12 hours ago, AUwent said:

I also agree with your outlook about a bowl game this year then win 8 in 2024 and so on. I just think alot of our fanbase will say "We fired 2 coaches and paid their buyouts just to hire a coach that we hope can get us back to 8 or 9 wins in 3 or 4 years when Gus was already doing that on the average and beating Saban 3 times." We aren't known for patience according to everybody outside our fanbase.

Me and you both know it would be that way from alot of fans but to be built the right way, it will take a few years.

Edited by TeamZero77

Miss State will probably be the worst team in the SEC next year.  Leach didn't recruit great and they are completely changing their direction offensively. 

For all the love Stoops gets at Kentucky they disappoint more often than actually achieve anything. 

I'd put Ole Miss in top 6, move Mizzou just above Vandy

If Arkansas is going to be able to turn that corner and be a challenger in the West it needs to start this year.  A lot of feel good stories coming out after a bit of a purge this winter. 

Beamer has done a great job recruiting to USCe so they could be a team on the rise. 

Wildcards are TaMu, Tennessee, and Florida.  I get Gus vibes from Heupel.  It'll be interesting to see if he can sustain the offense for more than a couple seasons or if there is something (like offense line schemes) that other coaches will use to recruit against Heupel.  Can Bobby P reignite his offensive genius.  TaMu has plenty of talent.  Florida is a year ahead of Auburn in the rebuilding phase and has brought in good talent.  The 2nd year is where you see a lot of successful head coaches take the next step.  

I'd put Auburn - talent wise - 9th or 10th in the league ahead of UK, Vandy, Mizzou, Miss State

Edited by Win4AU

19 hours ago, AUwent said:

Yep - OleMiss was a dumpster fire with Freeze started there and a dumpster fire when he left. 

I'm hoping for a bowl game this year with our favorable schedule, not making one is unacceptable.