Player development matters

bigbird

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

But we recruited so well...

Unfortunately, non-Auburn fans will still think we were spoiled for firing Gus.

• Thanks 1

Since Chiz...

T Reed

Blackmon

Westerman

Dyer 

Lawson 

Mont. Adams 

Tre Williams 

Roc 

Cowart 

Derrick Brown 

Calvin Ashley 

Pappoe 

Nix 

There's not a lot of production or success from that list

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Unfortunately, non-Auburn fans will still think we were spoiled for firing Gus.

I know a few here too

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Since Chiz...

T Reed

Blackmon

Westerman

Dyer 

Lawson 

Mont. Adams 

Tre Williams 

Roc 

Cowart 

Derrick Brown 

Calvin Ashley 

Pappoe 

Nix 

Calvin Ashley was a big ol bust.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Since Chiz...

T Reed

Blackmon

Westerman

Dyer 

Lawson 

Mont. Adams 

Tre Williams 

Roc 

Cowart 

Derrick Brown 

Calvin Ashley 

Pappoe 

Nix 

Agreed with all but Derrick Brown. First round draft pick should not count on this list.

• Thanks 1

Just now, AUwent said:

Agreed with all but Derrick Brown. First round draft pick should not count on this list.

He should be on the list because he was a 5* recruit. 

He was the only one that played as a 5" while at AU...Dyer could be argued.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He should be on the list because he was a 5* recruit. 

He was the only one that played as a 5" while at AU...Dyer could be argued.

I’d argue Adams and Davidson as well. But I thought the list was about the NFL draft.

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

I’d argue Adams and Davidson as well. But I thought the list was about the NFL draft.

Marlon was a 4* 

Adams was definitely solid, but not 5* level, IMO. 

Either way though the percentage of panning out is really bad 

• Like 1

Just now, bigbird said:

Marlon was a 4* 

Adams was definitely solid, but not 5* level, IMO. 

Either way though the percentage of panning out is really bad 

Totally agree.   Few of these guys were legit 5 stars and that is one reason we were able to sign them.   Carl Lawson was a legit 5 star and could have been a HOFer but he simply can't stay healthy -- 2 ACL's 1 Achilles.    At AU he missed 1.5 seasons.   I forgot about Roc Thomas leaving and going to Jax St.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Since Chiz...

T Reed

Blackmon

Westerman

Dyer 

Lawson 

Mont. Adams 

Tre Williams 

Roc 

Cowart 

Derrick Brown 

Calvin Ashley 

Pappoe 

Nix 

It always seemed to me that Gus would recruit *’s first and not really look at the personalities and work ethic of the players.  This seemed to be the reason we were (I hope we leave this in the past) so bad at developing these 5* players.  The development of players is dependent on coaches, but the player must have the personal drive to succeed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Since Chiz...

T Reed

Blackmon

Westerman

Dyer 

Lawson 

Mont. Adams 

Tre Williams 

Roc 

Cowart 

Derrick Brown 

Calvin Ashley 

Pappoe 

Nix 

Also, not a lot of 5* to begin with:  13 in 13 years?  I can't deny the dismal lack of development at AU (primarily under you-know-who) but you have to have consider the sample size.  AU's is pretty small.  For comparison I looked up uat's 5* haul within the same time period and it's over 50.   Context.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Since Chiz...

T Reed

Blackmon

Westerman

Dyer 

Lawson 

Mont. Adams 

Tre Williams 

Roc 

Cowart 

Derrick Brown 

Calvin Ashley 

Pappoe 

Nix 

Reed should have been a corner from day 1, while Dyer indeed was a disappointment. I had a feeling it was all down hill for Dyer and Chiz after the February 2011 incident. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Shadow Tiger said:

Reed should have been a corner from day 1,

Absolutely!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Rodney did his part, that's for sure!

That's the question I have for you. Rodney could recruit, but I feel like our dline got manhandled and never really reached their potential, so I wasn't sad to see him go. Is that a correct assessment?

11 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

That's the question I have for you. Rodney could recruit, but I feel like our dline got manhandled and never really reached their potential, so I wasn't sad to see him go. Is that a correct assessment?

Not necessarily. I think our D-lines in 2017 and 2019 were elite and good enough to win national titles, offense just wasn’t there. We almost beat LSU with Burrrow, arguably one of the greatest CFB offenses.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shadow Tiger said:

Reed should have been a corner from day 1, while Dyer indeed was a disappointment. I had a feeling it was all down hill for Dyer and Chiz after the February 2011 incident. 

Are you referring to the armed four? Because that was in March. But yeah, Dyer being a thug was beyond shocking.

Can someone remind me why we missed out on Marcus Lattimore? My recollection was that we were recruiting Dyer and Lattimore at the same time and had room for both. As I recall, Lattimore was genuinely interested in AU and then Dyer committed early. Did Lattimore not want to compete with Dyer or was the situation for him at USC too good to forego. I always liked Lattimore and wished he had come to AU.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

Can someone remind me why we missed out on Marcus Lattimore? My recollection was that we were recruiting Dyer and Lattimore at the same time and had room for both. As I recall, Lattimore was genuinely interested in AU and then Dyer committed early. Did Lattimore not want to compete with Dyer or was the situation for him at USC too good to forego. I always liked Lattimore and wished he had come to AU.

I thought it was Dyer, Lattimore and Seastrunk. I thought it ultimately boiled down to him wanting to stay close to home? Maybe it was a competition thing, too. I also remember Stephen Davis being at his signing ceremony, and Auburn people not being happy about it. 

Edited by yngwie1995
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Are you referring to the armed four? Because that was in March. But yeah, Dyer being a thug was beyond shocking.

I could've swore it was in February, but yes the 4 that committed robbery in the trailer park that was later linked to Dyer. (The gun)

We have struggled in this area since Tuberville left. I don't have the numbers in front of me but it always seemed like Auburn was always represented well in the NFL when Dye, Bowden and Tuberville were coaching here. Under Gus it seemed that the players that were drafted were mostly from the defensive side of the ball. 

We definitely have to pick it up. I still think recruits pay more attention to what coaching staff puts players into the NFL more than what school has the best NIL deals. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

Since Chiz...

T Reed

Blackmon

Westerman

Dyer 

Lawson 

Mont. Adams 

Tre Williams 

Roc 

Cowart 

Derrick Brown 

Calvin Ashley 

Pappoe 

Nix 

Byron Cowart was a HUGE bust for us. Ever since the recruiting services began rating players, Byron Cowart is still the highest rated recruit Auburn has landed. He was the overall #1 recruit in the nation when we got him and it turned out to be a whole lotta nothing for us. If I remember correctly, he transferred to Maryland. 

Look at how many of those players transferred from Auburn. 

Westerman to Arizona State

Dyer kicked off team

Roc Thomas to Jax State

Cowart to Maryland

Calvin Ashley to Florida Atlantic

Bo Nix to Oregon

This has to change!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, yngwie1995 said:

I thought it was Dyer, Lattimore and Seastrunk. I thought it ultimately boiled down to him wanting to stay close to home? Maybe it was a competition thing, too. I also remember Stephen Davis being at his signing ceremony, and Auburn people not being happy about it. 

You are spot on about Davis.   I also thought there were hints that he was encouraging him to stay in state.

• Like 3