Auburn's Shrinking Fan Base

Son of A Tiger

This article says AU has the fastest shrinking fanbase of any school in the nation. If true what do you think is the reason? I have an opinion but would like to hear others. What say ye?

Auburn football has the fastest shrinking fanbase in the nation, sports marketing data shows - al.com

• Sad 2

45 minutes ago, Son of A Tiger said:

This article says AU has the fastest shrinking fanbase of any school in the nation. If true what do you think is the reason? I have an opinion but would like to hear others. What say ye?

Auburn football has the fastest shrinking fanbase in the nation, sports marketing data shows - al.com

this was already posted hours ago...................

58 minutes ago, cbo said:

image.thumb.jpeg.f4125128ca66ffac46783c1de08c42c6.jpeg

Okay.  That's a fifteen yard personal foul for excessive humor without proper warning.

Laughing now turning into crying.

In the immortal words of Judge Smails,,, "I don't ever want to see that man here again".   Harsin, CBO, not you.

• Love 1

I once read  one of those rankings of most expensive trip to the ballgame and Auburn was either second or close to it. 

Auburn has a very loyal fanbase traditionally, but a lot of that was a very middle class bunch and Auburn has solidly pushed towards a wealthier student and fanbase. That's going to inevitably shrink numbers, especially when we've sucked at football for the better part of a decade. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

47 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Okay.  That's a fifteen yard personal foul for excessive humor without proper warning.

Laughing now turning into crying.

In the immortal words of Judge Smails,,, "I don't ever want to see that man here again".   Harsin, CBO, not you.

Gonna be honest, I would love for him to become coach of some cupcake we have scheduled.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

I once read  one of those rankings of most expensive trip to the ballgame and Auburn was either second or close to it. 

Auburn has a very loyal fanbase traditionally, but a lot of that was a very middle class bunch and Auburn has solidly pushed towards a wealthier student and fanbase. That's going to inevitably shrink numbers, especially when we've sucked at football for the better part of a decade. 

Thread winner. My AU grad father passed a couple of decades ago. When I asked why he gave up season tickets, he said I can't park where I used to, I can't go where I used to, and your uncle and our friends can't afford it anymore. He could, but if his buds couldn't go, he was out. They would cook out at the house and watch the game there. I am now in exactly the same boat. My son used his degree to buy acreage, and so we watch and text each other. My wife doesn't want to go without our old entourage, so my brother and I go 2-3 times a year. 

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

Thread winner. My AU grad father passed a couple of decades ago. When I asked why he gave up season tickets, he said I can't park where I used to, I can't go where I used to, and your uncle and our friends can't afford it anymore. He could, but if his buds couldn't go, he was out. They would cook out at the house and watch the game there. I am now in exactly the same boat. My son used his degree to buy acreage, and so we watch and text each other. My wife doesn't want to go without our old entourage, so my brother and I go 2-3 times a year. 

Auburn has monetized every aspect that once made it special.  It’s a shame that younger kids don’t realize how great it was when tailgating was Wild West style.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Maybe this will push Auburn to rebrand a bit. It really doesn’t help Auburn’s cause that we are getting shown up as an athletic program by Alabama. 

2 hours ago, cbo said:

image.thumb.jpeg.f4125128ca66ffac46783c1de08c42c6.jpeg

The last 6 years of 

image.png

Just for Mikey...Minus a 2 game stretch in '17...till he pulled another Gus during the SECCG.

The level of apathy from donors and  fans was at an all time high under Gus.  Harsin lessened it for a month then continued the death spiral.  8 years of having to eat canned dog food would turn your stomach too.

Winning cures all and we have to start winning. As a football program, we've been neutered and marginalized for the better part of a decade. CHF seems to understand this and is working harder than any HC I've seen.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

COVID, then a terrible head football coach brought in for 2 years, followed by a polarizing hire to replace him.

Not brain science

You're right, but the disgust and apathy was roaring well before 2020.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Winning will cure this .cheering for a garbage program is hard for even the biggest fan. I agree that AU has a shrinking fan base due to lack of winning and the bull s*** the administration creates. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

Auburn has monetized every aspect that once made it special.  It’s a shame that younger kids don’t realize how great it was when tailgating was Wild West style.

I agree and coming to a regular game is hard for a lot of fans. That's why it ticks me off that they even charge $10 for A-Day.

An article dogging Auburn written by a Bammer grad working for Al.com. Give me a break!

Read his article on Bammer losing fans and see how he sugar-coats it

Edited by jluvah
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

Fake news.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Son of A Tiger said:

So we're National Champions??

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

The last 6 years of 

image.png

Just for Mikey...Minus a 2 game stretch in '17...till he pulled another Gus during the SECCG.

The level of apathy from donors and  fans was at an all time high under Gus.  Harsin lessened it for a month then continued the death spiral.  8 years of having to eat canned dog food would turn your stomach too.

Winning cures all and we have to start winning. As a football program, we've been neutered and marginalized for the better part of a decade. CHF seems to understand this and is working harder than any HC I've seen.

Love ya man, but me and my Dad and our family watched UT kill us at home under Barfield and still watched every game. AU lost the hard core fans. When they started winning under Coach Dye, it was still OK. Our special thing was NOT BEING EVERYONE ELSE. Now we are. I always admired Bo what's his name at Michigan for standing up for his fans. 

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

The last 6 years of 

image.png

I'll add that this headline is somewhat misleading and sensational (shocking, I know). The study compared data from only 2021 to 2022. Not enough time to determine a trend.

And of course we know that in 2021 we had a new coach which typically generates excitement and optimism. By 2022, there was nothing to be excited about. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cbo said:

I'll add that this headline is somewhat misleading and sensational (shocking, I know). The study compared data from only 2021 to 2022. Not enough time to determine a trend.

And of course we know that in 2021 we had a new coach which typically generates excitement and optimism. By 2022, there was nothing to be excited about. 

I sure hope it's not a trend but it's sure a big drop in 2 years.

Edited by Son of A Tiger