40 years ago

StatTiger

Man oh man that was my favorite season. I was an Auburn sophomore, the Bo/Barkley thing was finally going national but we still had Sonny reading announcements at the Free Movies and Coach's Corner by the cafeteria. CDV was the new (and air coditioned!) dorm. Playboy mag, er, I hear rated AU Coed's top tier (some things never change).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

i knew at the end of 83 we were going to be something special. i got to see probably a dozen or more games when he was coach.

On 4/20/2023 at 2:31 PM, aucanucktiger said:

Man oh man that was my favorite season. I was an Auburn sophomore, the Bo/Barkley thing was finally going national but we still had Sonny reading announcements at the Free Movies and Coach's Corner by the cafeteria. CDV was the new (and air coditioned!) dorm. Playboy mag, er, I hear rated AU Coed's top tier (some things never change).

I was Junior the Fall going in to '83 football season.  Your memory is sharper than mine, but you did trigger a slight memory of seeing, I mean hearing about the AU Coed's...

Very nice video.  Awesome job with that @StatTiger!  Whoo that brings back some memories!  Living in Mobile at the time, I attended that Sugar Bowl and witnessed the AU defense absolutely shut down Michigan after giving up the lone TD early.  We sat in the Michigan section surrounded by rabid Wolverine fans -- they were good natured enough.  They validated how good that '83 defense really was when I overheard one of them in the 2nd half complain to his buddy, "Damn, man!  When was our last first down?"  Couldn't help but LOL.  

13 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

Very nice video.  Awesome job with that @StatTiger!  Whoo that brings back some memories!  Living in Mobile at the time, I attended that Sugar Bowl and witnessed the AU defense absolutely shut down Michigan after giving up the lone TD early.  We sat in the Michigan section surrounded by rabid Wolverine fans -- they were good natured enough.  They validated how good that '83 defense really was when I overheard one of them in the 2nd half complain to his buddy, "Damn, man!  When was our last first down?"  Couldn't help but LOL.  

Thank you. I was a huge Facenda fan as a youth, so it was cool to have his voice associated with Auburn football.

• Like 1

National Champions. It’s a travesty we don’t claim it! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

My freshman year. Some awesome football. For some reason I remember the most about the Maryland game. The fan were frustrated that we couldn’t stop their QB. A guy named Boomer Esiason. 

I thought we played against a lot of quality QBs that season. 

We closed out our season having played 5 ranked teams in a row, 4 were in the top 10!  In all we played 7 ranked teams for the season (when we played them) and by the end of the season we had played 9 teams that went bowling (in 1983 there were only 16 bowl games).  

If we had scored 1 more TD in the UT loss and 1 TD in the Sugar, we might have been seen differently in the final polling.  

Auburn does show us as a National Champion team:  https://auburntigers.com/sports/2018/6/11/sports-m-footbl-history-and-tradition-1983-champions-html.aspx

Score Rank Team Bowl Record
 24-3    Southern Miss      7-4 
 7-20  3 Texas Cotton  11-1 
 37-14    UT Citruis  9-3 
 27-24  17 FSU Peach  7-5 
 49-21    Kentucky Hall of Fame  6-5-1 
 31-13   Georgia Tech    3-8 
 28-13    MSU    3-8 
 28-21  5 UF Gator  9-3
 35-23  7 Maryland Citruis  8-4 
 13-7  4 UGA Cotton  10-1-1
 23-20 19 UA Sun  8-4
 9-7  8 UM Sugar  9-7
Edited by 81spacetiger
correction

On 4/29/2023 at 11:40 AM, Swamp Eagle said:

I never knew that video existed! John Facenda narrating Auburn football…nice!

The voice of the NFL was awesome. He narrated the 1983 Auburn and Miami team videos and passed away in 1984. The Auburn video I found with Facenda wasn't great quality so I spliced his narration into better footage.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, StatTiger said:

The voice of the NFL was awesome. He narrated the 1983 Auburn and Miami team videos and passed away in 1984. The Auburn video I found with Facenda wasn't great quality so I spliced his narration into better footage.

You did a great job. One of the players who’s  voice was featured was an old high school teammate of mine.