6-year-old, parents and neighbor shot after basketball rolls into yard in North Carolina

Auburn85

31 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

iam4_ua are you EVER for me?

Sure, if you see it my way. :poke:  Wasn’t there an old Beatles song like that?

Guns making police work harder is a stretch only because guns have been a part of the US as long as police work has been around.  I would agree that in today’s world, because they have little to no respect by the people they police, that it is more dangerous and guns play a part.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Sure, if you see it my way. :poke:  Wasn’t there an old Beatles song like that?

Guns making police work harder is a stretch only because guns have been a part of the US as long as police work has been around.  I would agree that in today’s world, because they have little to no respect by the people they police, that it is more dangerous and guns play a part.

yes i know the song but i was a stones fan. i just posted somewhere about cops saying it does for a fact and even common sense should tell you that. good lord..........but i am gonna be nice

On 4/20/2023 at 10:04 PM, aubiefifty said:

read it and weep boys. i am that was nothing but a deflection as you could have easily googles but instead you try to make me look like i do not know what i am talking about.

Weak Gun Laws Are Hurting Police Officers

Allison Jordan
6–8 minutes

Media Contact
Government Affairs
Download
Photo shows two standing police officers from behind. Two police officers stand in front of the Alamo in San Antonio, Texas, in December 2018. (Getty/Robert Alexander)

Policing is a perilous profession, and officers often encounter dangerous situations in the course of their duties. These risks are even higher in states with weak gun laws. Yet in many states, the same politicians that claim to support police agencies also push to weaken gun laws—despite law enforcement agencies’ opposition—and further endanger officers’ lives. If elected officials are serious about protecting police officers, they must stop passing dangerous gun laws and increasing police officers’ risk of experiencing gun violence.

This fact sheet both provides data that point to the prominent role of firearms in police officer fatalities and argues for stronger, commonsense gun laws.

Firearms are by far the most common method used to kill police officers in the United States

• From 2012 to 2021, 504 police officers were killed in the United States. 1 Out of those, 456 officers were fatally shot with a gun2—meaning that 90 percent of these homicides were perpetrated with a gun.3
  • From 2020 to 2021, the number of police officers fatally shot rose 35 percent.4

Police officers in the United States are far more likely to be fatally shot than those in other developed nations

• From 2012 to 2021, 456 police officers were fatally shot in the United States.5
  • During that same period:
    • Twelve police officers were fatally shot in Canada.6
    • Four police officers were fatally shot in the United Kingdom.7
    • Three police officers were fatally shot in Australia.8

Police officers in the United States are more likely to be fatally shot in states with higher levels of gun ownership and weaker gun laws

• A 2016 study concluded that police officers were three times more likely to be fatally shot in the states with the highest levels of gun ownership than in the states with the lowest levels of gun ownership.9
  • The Giffords Law Center graded states based on the strength of their gun laws. 10 States that received an “F” saw higher rates of police officers fatally shot from 2017 to 2021.11
    • States with “F” grades had a rate of police officers fatally shot that was 75 percent higher than states with “C’s” or “D’s.”
    • States with “F” grades saw a rate of police officers fatally shot that was 152 percent higher than states with “A’s” or “B’s”—those with the strongest gun laws.

Police officers are often the target of extreme anti-government and white supremist groups that have easy access to guns

• In 2014, a married couple harboring anti-government views and white supremacy ideologies gunned down two police officers in Las Vegas, Nevada.12
  • The Southern Poverty Law Center reports that from 2005 to 2018, domestic extremists fatally shot 42 police officers.13

Gun-related assaults against police officers occur at an alarming frequency

• From 2011 to 2020, at least 999 police officers were assaulted and injured in the line of duty.14
    • The vast majority, or 74 percent (735 officers), were assaulted and injured with a firearm.15

Police officers are also frequently shot while responding to domestic violence disputes

• In 2017, more police officers were fatally shot while attending to domestic violence calls than during any other firearm-related event.16
  • A 2021 report shows that, in 2021, seven police officers were fatally shot while responding to calls of domestic violence.17

Elected officials have passed dangerous gun laws despite opposition from law enforcement groups and individuals

• In 2021, Texas passed permitless carry, a law that allows anyone to carry a firearm in public without a license, background check, or training. However, police agency groups and individuals opposed this bill.
    • The Texas Police Chiefs Association said the bill posed a threat to all law enforcement agencies and the public in general.18
  • Similarly, police chiefs, sheriffs, and prosecutors in Tennessee opposed the bill that allows for permitless carry in their state.19 Nevertheless, conversative legislators still voted in favor of this law, and it has since taken effect.
  • Law enforcement agencies and groups in Alabama, Ohio, and Iowa have also opposed permitless carry measures. Unfortunately, conservative legislators have ignored these concerns.20
  • In 2022, elected officials in the Ohio state Senate passed a bill to arm teachers despite strong opposition from law enforcement officers and teachers.21
To learn more about permitless carry, read this fact sheet.

Conclusion

Police officers in the United States are significantly more likely to be murdered than law enforcement officers in other developed nations, and firearms play a major role. Officers are often shot during routine traffic stops and while attending calls of domestic disputes, and they are also targeted by extremist groups. Although data show that police officers are more likely to be fatally shot in states with weaker gun laws and higher levels of gun ownership, conservative elected officials have pushed for loose restrictions on gun ownership, ignoring opposition from police associations, prosecutors, and sheriffs. Elected officials must be consistent with what they preach: If they really want to support policing in this country, they must stop passing dangerous gun laws and instead pass commonsense preventive measures.

The positions of American Progress, and our policy experts, are independent, and the findings and conclusions presented are those of American Progress alone. A full list of supporters is available here. American Progress would like to acknowledge the many generous supporters who make our work possible.

now man up and apologize bro. i just proved you wrong. you can accept an apology but can you give one? you too baseball.............

Put the Bong down my man.  You get worked up faster than anyone I know.   All that garbage you post is all fine and good for you to read but I live in the real world.    Trying to compare the USA to any other country is foolish and quite frankly stupid.   We are different from everyone for a reason.   We are the one that everyone comes running to when help is needed.   I really don’t know what to say to you, being a police officer is a dangerous profession.   They are involved in situations that you would run from.   It’s dangerous and the last 14 years of bashing the police has caused a nation of individuals to totally have a lack of respect for the profession.   It’s really not that hard to see if you turned the tv on in the last 14 years.    Have there been instances of police misconduct and criminal behavior? Absolutely, but name one profession that isn’t.    
And by the way, you don’t know me or what I do for a living.   You have your opinions and I have mine.   I find it hilarious that most on this political forum bash Trump, but he was a president that did not take a dime in salary.    The Daniels thing has been beaten to death and for the last time he is not being charged with using campaign finance money.   It has been investigated and no charges were brought against him.    

Just now, aubaseball said:

Put the Bong down my man.  You get worked up faster than anyone I know.   All that garbage you post is all fine and good for you to read but I live in the real world.    Trying to compare the USA to any other country is foolish and quite frankly stupid.   We are different from everyone for a reason.   We are the one that everyone comes running to when help is needed.   I really don’t know what to say to you, being a police officer is a dangerous profession.   They are involved in situations that you would run from.   It’s dangerous and the last 14 years of bashing the police has caused a nation of individuals to totally have a lack of respect for the profession.   It’s really not that hard to see if you turned the tv on in the last 14 years.    Have there been instances of police misconduct and criminal behavior? Absolutely, but name one profession that isn’t.    
And by the way, you don’t know me or what I do for a living.   You have your opinions and I have mine.   I find it hilarious that most on this political forum bash Trump, but he was a president that did not take a dime in salary.    The Daniels thing has been beaten to death and for the last time he is not being charged with using campaign finance money.   It has been investigated and no charges were brought against him.    

these things are brought regularly and you guys never listen. i posted proof of at least one article and cops were in fact talking about how it made it harder on national television but you can ignore it all you want. the facts do not change. the fact you seem to think it is ok because it is a dangerous job is bullsh#t. trump was a joke who was convicted of fraud as well as stealing money from charities. he has what a dozen or more trials coming up? one of his rape and assault trials begins next week in fact. i could care less if trump did not take a salary. you are trying to polish a turd and you know it. it is a bad look. oh. comparing  things is not stupid it is done for reflection. it shows you how we can up our game by seeing what others do better than us. so that was a pretty stupid statement but then you were just wanting to call me stupid when you just showed you really are. and you guys with your poor ol trump crap. it is sickening.

• Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I find it hilarious that most on this political forum bash Trump, but he was a president that did not take a dime in salary. 

"Not taking a dime in salary" was one of his ploys to get all his loyal followers, which you obviously bought. He took way more in revenue, which is where the 1% gets there money. To them salary means absolutely nothing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, arein0 said:

"Not taking a dime in salary" was one of his ploys to get all his loyal followers, which you obviously bought. He took way more in revenue, which is where the 1% gets there money. To them salary means absolutely nothing.

he stole from a VA charity AND a childrens charity. this is fact. he was sentenced for fraud for his university.fact. people show their ignorance over him and they lose all cred with me. when you give people like this a pass your actions tell me you could care less about the country. and to feel better you convince yourself the other side is evil so it is ok to support a damn crook. it is sickening. sorry for venting. i tagged you but i was just adding on to what i said earlier.

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

because they have little to no respect by the people they police

Should they respect the people who they police?  Do they?  Does the answer depend upon the socio-economic status of the person they are policing?

• Like 1

Is Bill Maher a racist for posing this question about Chicago?

How about his views on the 327 shoplifters that are responsible for 6000 shoplifting cases?

If you ignore the problem, it doesn’t go away, it gets worse.  By calling someone racist for bringing this up is, in fact, ignoring the problem.

The problem is not always the socio-economic status of the person.  That is a cop out.

58 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The problem is not always the socio-economic status of the person.  That is a cop out.

No, that is reality.  Poverty, addiction, disenfranchisement, create crime.  You will not have a better society through punishment.  If you want a better society, you have to create a better society.  You have to invest in society.

Every community needs local people who are invested in their community.  We need to stop investing in mitigation and, start investing in real solutions.  It will ultimately save money.  There will be a return on the investment.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

No, that is reality.  Poverty, addiction, disenfranchisement, create crime.  You will not have a better society through punishment.  If you want a better society, you have to create a better society.  You have to invest in society.

Every community needs local people who are invested in their community.  We need to stop investing in mitigation and, start investing in real solutions.  It will ultimately save money.  There will be a return on the investment.

How do people break that cycle if they believe the socio-economic status is their excuse to live the way the do?  Is it the responsibility of government of create a better society or the responsibility of the community?  Someone has to make the first step and waiting on the government is not the way to success.  That is what I and Bill Maher are saying.

If the local people keep blaming someone else (blaming Walmart for leaving because of the crime) they are not accepting responsibility. Where does it end?  The community has to accept responsibility and do something about it.

Is Bill Maher a racist for bringing this up?

• Facepalm 1

14 hours ago, aubaseball said:

I find it hilarious that most on this political forum bash Trump, but he was a president that did not take a dime in salary.   

You are incredibly gullible.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-made-at-least-16-billion-while-us-president-2021-2

..... Donald Trump may have donated his $400,000 salary as president, but that represented just one-tenth of a percent of the money he made while the world's most powerful man.

During his four-year term in office, Trump reported making between $1.6 and $1.79 billion, with some $620 million coming from the Mar-a-Lago resort, his hotel in the nation's capital, and three of his golf courses in the United States.

As Insider previously reported, despite making hundreds of millions of dollars each year, Trump paid just $750 in federal income taxes for his first year in office.

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/19/958472500/how-trumps-businesses-benefited-during-his-presidency

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexander/2021/07/19/trumps-business-hauled-in-24-billion-during-four-years-he-served-as-president/?sh=110e69fe10c0

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, homersapien said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-made-at-least-16-billion-while-us-president-2021-2

..... Donald Trump may have donated his $400,000 salary as president, but that represented just one-tenth of a percent of the money he made while the world's most powerful man.

During his four-year term in office, Trump reported making between $1.6 and $1.79 billion, with some $620 million coming from the Mar-a-Lago resort, his hotel in the nation's capital, and three of his golf courses in the United States.

As Insider previously reported, despite making hundreds of millions of dollars each year, Trump paid just $750 in federal income taxes for his first year in office.

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/19/958472500/how-trumps-businesses-benefited-during-his-presidency

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexander/2021/07/19/trumps-business-hauled-in-24-billion-during-four-years-he-served-as-president/?sh=110e69fe10c0

I gotcha ya.  He is suppose to shut down his businesses while president.   Copy that.   Sounds good.   

• Facepalm 1

8 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Is Bill Maher a racist for posing this question about Chicago?

How about his views on the 327 shoplifters that are responsible for 6000 shoplifting cases?

If you ignore the problem, it doesn’t go away, it gets worse.  By calling someone racist for bringing this up is, in fact, ignoring the problem.

you and i can argue all day long but i pretty much always agree with bills point of view. he is a big PETA guy and i do not care for them and as religious as you are my auburn friend if you watch "Religious" he made you would probably not like him much. he makes fun of christians. i am just being nice and warning you because he would offend you some and i am trying to be nicer to you.

6 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

How do people break that cycle if they believe the socio-economic status is their excuse to live the way the do?  Is it the responsibility of government of create a better society or the responsibility of the community?  Someone has to make the first step and waiting on the government is not the way to success.  That is what I and Bill Maher are saying.

If the local people keep blaming someone else (blaming Walmart for leaving because of the crime) they are not accepting responsibility. Where does it end?  The community has to accept responsibility and do something about it.

Is Bill Maher a racist for bringing this up?

um also since you said it i have to call you out. bad question asking if bill  was being racist. he absolutely dates nothing but black women. the thing about bill is he would always take shots at the left as well.

21 hours ago, aubaseball said:

if i put the bong down you guys would be out for blood....my blood. pot keeps me in an always sweet and loving mood.lol  also i do not own a bong in case you have an extra one. right now it is gummies for the win. i do a half and i cannot and will not drive.

6 hours ago, homersapien said:

Not to mention all of his golf and vacations at his own resorts and the costs incurred by the government for his security on these trips,,, costs that were paid to the Trump Organization.

And, not to mention his promise of, I won't play golf like Obama, I'll be too busy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

you and i can argue all day long but i pretty much always agree with bills point of view. he is a big PETA guy and i do not care for them and as religious as you are my auburn friend if you watch "Religious" he made you would probably not like him much. he makes fun of christians. i am just being nice and warning you because he would offend you some and i am trying to be nicer to you.

That’s the deal, fifty, if Bill rails on religion that would be his opinion.  He can do that all he wants.  He questioned why black celebrities are quiet on the black on black crime.  In Ichy’s world he would be labeled a racist and I am wondering if he will be *canceled* or he gets a pass because he is a liberal?  Of course, Ichy wont’s answer, only a face palm.

58 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

um also since you said it i have to call you out. bad question asking if bill  was being racist. he absolutely dates nothing but black women. the thing about bill is he would always take shots at the left as well.

I don’t consider asking a legitimate question *taking a shot*.  People that ignore questions like this don‘t really want to discuss the problem.

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

I gotcha ya.  He is suppose to shut down his businesses while president.   Copy that.   Sounds good.   

Or don't run for president. As President or any politician, you should not have any conflicts of interest, whether that is your business or stocks. Your only concern should be what's best for the country / your constituents. 

Edited by arein0

On 4/20/2023 at 4:32 PM, cptau said:

The shooter was a felon not allowed to own or carry a firearm.   

Not to be a total dick here, but...

IT IS OBVIOUS WE NEED TO WRITE MORE LAWS....that we wont even bother to enforce...

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Well, he's not supposed to use the office to generate profit for himself, such as he clearly tried to do.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-made-millions-last-year-from-his-hotel-near-the-white-house-2019-5

Now how much was that salary he "sacrificed"? :rolleyes:

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1