4/19/23 Football Articles

aubiefifty

si.com

'Only a matter of time' until Auburn's action in the portal heats up

Zac Blackerby

2–3 minutes

A source close to the program believes that it is only a matter of time before things heat up in the transfer portal.

I have been wrong about how this transfer portal window would start. 

Like what we saw in the transfer portal window in December, I expected to see a mass exodus and fairly quick commitments all over college football, and with Hugh Freeze trying to flip the roster, I expected Auburn to get involved early.

This hasn't been the case. Not just at Auburn, but throughout all of college football.

I reached out to a source close to the program and asked how things were going and I said I'm surprised at how slow the action has been with only Jeffrey M'ba and Tarvarrish Dawson putting their names in over the weekend.

The response was, "Only a matter of time, sadly."

Auburn's position coaches met with their position groups in one-on-one settings to give reviews of spring and their standing with the staff. 

While it's been slow, and there are several reasons for that ranging from the timing of spring games to the lack of urgency to get enrolled before summer classes, it's coming. 

You can check out our transfer portal tracker here. Stay up to date on all of the Tigers' commitments, departures, and prospects for key positions at auburndaily.com.

Excellent EDGE prospect enters transfer portal, is now available to Auburn.

Matthew Jacobs
2–3 minutes

Should Auburn be interested in Sav`ell Smalls?

Sav`ell Smalls, a six-foot-three 265-pound sophomore out of Seattle, Washington, has declared for the portal out of the Washington Huskies.

Smalls’ talent, he was a five-star recruit out of high school, is thought to have been hampered under the Huskies’ defensive staff. A true pass rusher, he was moved around in the defense in ways that pass understanding. Therefore, his numbers are not a good representation of what type of ability this young man has. Through 29 games he was only able to produce 32 tackles with 1 tackle for a loss.

There is a ton of ability and talent for an SEC coaching staff to cultivate here. Smalls is a guy that would be a very good fit in Ron Robert’s defensive scheme for Auburn.

Does Auburn make a move? Keep it on Auburn Daily to find out.

Auburn football has seen three players officially depart this week, with Tar'Varish Dawson announcing intentions to transfer early Saturday morning.

Dawson joins the following Auburn Tigers that have announced that they will be in the transfer portal.

Defensive lineman Jeffrey M'ba

Linebacker Kameron Brown

Linebacker Desmond Tisdol

The Auburn Tigers have pulled in an impressive haul thus far during Hugh Freeze's first season on the Plains, currently sitting at No. 3 nationally in 247Sports' transfer portal class rankings.

You can check out our transfer portal tracker here. Stay up to date on all of the Tigers' commitments, departures, and prospects for key positions at auburndaily.com.

i thought this might be of interest since we all waiting on portal news.

if this wastes your time folks let me know............i have never been to one of these joints so i thought it might be fun.

247sports.com

Auburn QB commit Walker White set to compete in Atlanta Elite 11 regional

Christian Clemente
4–5 minutes

Auburn's Top247 quarterback commit Walker White will be in action close to the Plains in less than a month.

The Little Rock Christian (Ark.) quarterback told Auburn Undercover that he's going to be competing in the Atlanta Elite 11 regional, which takes place on May 13. The regionals are an opportunity for quarterbacks across the country to earn a spot at the Elite 11 finals in the summer.

As a junior, White got a chance last year to compete in the Nashville Elite 11 regional alongside Nico Iamaleava, Avery Johnson, and Brock Glenn. Still an underclassmen at the time, White impressed 247Sports' Cooper Petagna.

"A few more rising junior signal callers turned some heads on Sunday as Arkansas native Walker White displayed the explosive arm that’s helped him earn a spot in the Top247 in 2024," Petagna wrote after the event. "White certainly has some of the best physical makeup of any quarterback in the class and showed it today."

Now with a junior year under his belt and checking in at 6-foot-3 and 215 pounds, White has a chance to punch his ticket to the finals. The event will be held at Carrollton high school, and is one of eight different regionals across the country. 

Through two years as the starting quarterback at Little Rock Christian, White has racked up 4,103 yards, 49 touchdowns, 1,381 rushing yards, 21 rushing touchdowns and 21 interceptions.

White is the No. 77 player, No. 9 quarterback and No. 1 player in Arkansas for the 2024 class in the latest 247Sports rankings.

The Elite 11 is a strong opportunity for White to continue to showcase his talents and potentially make a case for a bump in the rankings. 

5COMMENTS

Petagna's scouting report from the Auburn Undercover Podcast on White:

"There's a small crop of players outside the top 32 that we feel are wildcards — Walker White fits into that conversation. From a physical trait standpoint, which I talked about is the most important part of the process for us right now, in May of last year 6-foot-3 and a half, 217. He's got a 6-foot-5 wing, 36-inch vert, a 4.22shuttle, 10 1/4 hands, this is the type of guy you walk into the NFL Combine right now in Indianapolis and he'd turn a lot of heads. In terms of the arm talent and the arm strength, it's there. I talk about this a lot with a lot of players that might be able to throw the ball a mile but it's the nuances of the game. It's timing, touch, anticipation. Being able to play within yourself. You talk about that high turnover rate, a lot of that might have to do with mechanics, too. Footwork, you see the conversations that surround a guy like Anthony Richardson right now. A lot of NFL teams are so fascinated by Anthony Richardson because they feel like when the feet are right, he's a different player. Can you coach that up? It's very much the same type of conversation that surrounded a guy like Josh Allen when he came out of Wyoming. You look at a guy like Walker White coming out of small-ball Arkansas, there's a lot of room and development for him. I think the floor of what you're looking at with a guy like Walker White is a top-100 prospect, which we could call a Day 2 NFL Draft choice, and the ceiling for him is — if he were lights out this year and what I mean by that is not only on the field but when we have in-person evaluations, which he was one of my favorite guys last year in Nashville at the Elite 11 regionals, he's going to impress in that type of setting. I do think this is a guy that can sneak into the conversation of being closer to 32 than to 50 because I think he has those kinds of traits. And listen, Walker White was a really coveted player when Auburn was able to get him in the boat. I like Walker White and regardless of where we have him ranked I feel fairly confident that he can be one of the best quarterbacks this cycle.

">247Sports

Analyst sends harrowing message on Auburn’s incumbent QB1

Andrew Hughes
3–4 minutes

247Sports’ Chris Hummer sent a harrowing message about the incumbent Auburn football starting quarterback during the 2023 season Mandatory Credit: The Montgomery Advertiser

247Sports’ Chris Hummer sent a harrowing message about the incumbent Auburn football starting quarterback during the 2023 season Mandatory Credit: The Montgomery Advertiser

247Sports’ Chris Hummer had a harrowing message about the incumbent starting quarterback for Auburn football, Robby Ashford: Tigers head coach Hugh Freeze may need more than what Ashford brings to the table in order to satisfy what could be an impatient Auburn football fanbase during the 2023 season, Freeze’s first on the Plains.

“(The Tigers) need a quarterback, and they’re looking to upgrade the position,” Hummer wrote. “Robby Ashford is still there. If you’re Hugh Freeze and you’re in year one, and you’re at a program that is not patient, you’d like more certainty than what Robbie Ashford potentially brings you. Robbie Ashford might be a pretty decent fit for what Hugh Freeze has done before. Auburn could certainly use a quarterback; where that comes from will be interesting.”

Hummer deemed Auburn football a “team to watch” during the April transfer portal cycle, pointing out the program’s need for upgrades “at almost every position.”

“With the way the rules are set up, you can’t take another SEC transfer,” Hummer prefaced before saying, “You got to get a little more creative with that. Auburn also needs another offensive lineman. They’re trying to be pretty aggressive there. That’s a team to watch. Auburn will be willing to upgrade at almost every position. They are in desperate need of edge rushers as well. You will see Auburn be one of the most aggressive Power 5 teams in the second transfer portal window.”

Auburn football head coach Hugh Freeze on what he’s looking for in a QB1

Freeze described for reporters following A-Day what he’s looking for in a transfer portal quarterback — and while he didn’t write off the Tigers’ current QBs being able to do so, he did call the room “unproven” in hinting that the transfer portal may be his best bet.

“I think you’ve got to have somebody that can make the throws in tight coverage,” Freeze said. “And you’ve got to have receivers that can get open, too. We’re looking for some of that consistency in both spots. They’re going to be some games you just can’t (pass). They’re going to stop the run. and you’re going to have to make some throws to win the game. We’re not proven in the room that we have that any of those who have done that. I’m not saying they can’t, and I’m certainly not down on them. I think we can win games with these guys. But should a guy come available that is a dynamic guy that we think is already a proven commodity doing that, I think we would have to at least look at that.”

auburn.rivals.com

AuburnSports - Harris: ‘I’ve never met a coaching staff like this’

Bryan Matthews AuburnSports Harris: ‘I’ve never met a coaching staff like this’ 2h ago
~3 minutes

AUBURN | When a new staff comes in they need veteran leaders that buy-in and can lead their younger teammates with their actions and words.

Marcus Harris has provided all that and more over the last four-plus months since Hugh Freeze was hired and brought in eight new on-field assistants.

“Marcus has been great,” said defensive line coach Jeremy Garrett, who followed Freeze from Liberty. “What I enjoy about Marcus is the accountability that he takes in his play and for the room and his work ethic. I check on the strength coaches, how’s he doing in the weight room. I check on him academically how he’s doing. He’s a guy that’s putting it together for us in all three phases of what we want, being a great student-athlete and just doing his job on and off the field.

“That’s important to me because you don’t have any distractions. When you’re academically screwing up and not doing what you’re supposed to be doing in other areas, you create distractions. Marcus is a guy that can be a leader for us because he’s not creating distractions, and he’s doing his job and working hard on the field.”

Harris, who is on his third coaching staff since transferring from Kansas a couple of years ago, has been pleased with the transition.

"They made it as easy as possible,” said Harris. “They try not to put all the stuff on us at one time. They try to spread it out throughout time. They're great people. Like, all the coaches are great people. I've never met a coaching staff like this before. Everybody is genuine, and you can tell they care about you, on and off the field.

“This coaching staff's transition has been easy, because they embraced us, and they're letting us know that they care about us, even though they're new coaches and don't know a lot of players. They still care about us.”

Harris has totaled 57 tackles, 12.5 tackles-for-loss and four sacks over the last two seasons mainly playing defensive tackle. He got a lot of work at defensive end this spring and that could be his main position for his senior season due to the current makeup of the roster.

“I would describe him as a long-arm power rusher; stab and really you need one or two moves and a counter. Let's perfect that, and that's what I think he's doing. He has the ability to crush that pocket in a hurry,” said Garrett.

auburn.rivals.com

AuburnSports - New staff 'looking pretty good' to Jakaleb Faulk

Bryan Matthews AuburnSports Harris: ‘I’ve never met a coaching staff like this’ 2h ago
~2 minutes

Out of all the players that showed up for the Rivals Camp in Atlanta Sunday, a few stood out more than the rest.

One of them was , who won the Gold Ball for linebackers after his performance.

"It means a lot," Faulk said. "It means that I tried my best, that I was one of the top competitors in this camp and just surrounded by great players and I’m lucky to be chosen out of all of them."

Faulk, who's from Highland Home, Alabama, is regarded as one of the top prospects in the nation, ranking as No. 136 in the Rivals250 for the 2025 class. It's no wonder programs like Auburn, Clemson, South Carolina and others are going after the linebacker.

Recently, he visited all three schools previously mentioned, including Auburn.

"At Auburn, it just felt like home again because I’ve been there so many times," Faulk said.

Faulk's older brother, Keldric, signed with the Tigers in the 2023 class. Although, that doesn't mean younger brother will automatically follow.

"People think I’ll just go to Auburn because of my brother," Jakaleb said. "I’ll just go wherever I feel I’m comfortable with and wherever I feel like is home. I just follow my own path."

Hugh Freeze and his staff are working to make sure that path ends up in Auburn, as they start a new chapter of Auburn football.

"They’re really picking up real fast," Faulk said of the staff. "It’s looking pretty good so far. Whatever they’re doing it’s working."

It can be expected for Faulk to visit in the summer, as well in the fall for several games.

He's rated as the No. 7 outside linebacker in the nation and 11th-best player in the state of Alabama.

He's back...or is he? lol