A Black teenager who was shot after mistakenly going to the wrong house begged neighbors for help — but was ignored, family says

aubiefifty

40 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Each state should emphasize the rules of engagement with regard to protecting your property and/or you life.  It’s about time to set the record straight then citizens will be aware of their responsibilities. I know it doesn’t restrict guns at all, but it might save some innocent lives. 

I think most of us have a good idea on rules of engagement. We are likely just seeing age hindering the ability of discernment. Hell.  just listen to our president. When I speak of newsworthy.... I’m calling out the media. 

2 minutes ago, alexava said:

I think most of us have a good idea on rules of engagement. We are likely just seeing age hindering the ability of discernment. Hell.  just listen to our president. When I speak of newsworthy.... I’m calling out the media. 

Most probably do, but emphasizing it would help with the non gun owning public knowledge of what they are responsible for too.  As to our demented President, I agree.  Can’t spell eight and after speeches wanders around aimlessly waiting for someone to show him where to go.

Remember, don’t jump.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Leftfield said:

Guy tries to kill an innocent teenager and you think: 1. It's not newsworthy, 2. All that should happen is his guns are taken away.

The mind boggles.

I'm sure the kid and his family will be fine with the police telling them "Hey, s**t happens."

Would you have the same take if it had been your kid?

Is it more newsworthy than these 50 kids(under age 12j that were killed from January through August last year. All gun violence. He’s been keeping a running tab each year since 2018, I think. It looks like this one stopped in August for some reason. Some of us need to take a deep look into what triggers us and why. 

29 minutes ago, alexava said:

Is it more newsworthy than these 50 kids(under age 12j that were killed from January through August last year. All gun violence. He’s been keeping a running tab each year since 2018, I think. It looks like this one stopped in August for some reason. Some of us need to take a deep look into what triggers us and why. 

Look, it's always a tragedy when an innocent person is killed, but you're comparing bystanders of gang and drive-by violence, which has been a problem for decades, to people that were intentionally shot for no legitimate reason. These incidents appear to be increasing, and because there have been a cluster of them in a short time that makes them more newsworthy - as evidenced by the fact that they're on, you know, the news. It doesn't make the deaths of the victims in that Twitter feed any less tragic. It doesn't mean we don't need to address the issues that led to them, but unfortunately it's simply not something the public isn't already aware of.

In many cases of drive-bys and gang violence, the perpetrator is unknown and/or gets away, so the "s**t happens" is something that life has dealt the families and victims. The criminals in these targeted shootings have all been apprehended, so releasing them just because they're old or some other reason and then saying "s**t happens" to the victims and their families is just bonkers thinking.

You didn't answer my question about what your stance would be had it been your child.

1 hour ago, alexava said:

We are likely just seeing age hindering the ability of discernment.

Should periodic, mandatory mental competency testing be required to keep a gun?

8 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

Should periodic, mandatory mental competency testing be required to keep a

If you could go into the areas that are owned by the gang members and accomplish this, I’m all for it.

• Thanks 1

Yes indeed. 

Never go knock on the door at Joe's house after dark.  "Dammit Jill,,, I think I killed another kid".

I have always dreamed of a society in which we have/need,,, "rules of engagement".

Brilliant comments.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

Look, it's always a tragedy when an innocent person is killed, but you're comparing bystanders of gang and drive-by violence, which has been a problem for decades, to people that were intentionally shot for no legitimate reason. These incidents appear to be increasing, and because there have been a cluster of them in a short time that makes them more newsworthy - as evidenced by the fact that they're on, you know, the news. It doesn't make the deaths of the victims in that Twitter feed any less tragic. It doesn't mean we don't need to address the issues that led to them, but unfortunately it's simply not something the public isn't already aware of.

In many cases of drive-bys and gang violence, the perpetrator is unknown and/or gets away, so the "s**t happens" is something that life has dealt the families and victims. The criminals in these targeted shootings have all been apprehended, so releasing them just because they're old or some other reason and then saying "s**t happens" to the victims and their families is just bonkers thinking.

You didn't answer my question about what your stance would be had it been your child.

Should periodic, mandatory mental competency testing be required to keep a gun?

No. It’s a problem on such a small scale it’s not going to register statistically. As a matter of fact it only makes the news if it is a white shooter and black victim. The other instances would not have made the news if not for happening in the same week as the white shooter/ black victim did. Again...what triggers this!  If it’s my child, I might go take his guns myself. You put this geriatric patient in jail, which would take up considerable resources that would better be used trying to solve murders where  people are riding around shooting into other peoples houses and cars instead of just trying to defend their own. The left is just starving for racism to report on, it’s beyond ridiculous. It’s overlooking 99+% of  gun victims, already strained  with the brilliant defunding ideas. Murders have increased around 40% since 2020. Homeowners mistaking teens for intruders are not what is driving that. 

• Facepalm 1

28 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Yes indeed. 

Never go knock on the door at Joe's house after dark.  "Dammit Jill,,, I think I killed another kid".

I have always dreamed of a society in which we have/need,,, "rules of engagement".

Brilliant comments.

Joe is past that stage. He couldn’t find the damn gun much less operate it. I would wager that the target is safer than Jill or Joe himself. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, alexava said:

Joe is past that stage. He couldn’t find the damn gun much less operate it. I would wager that the target is safer than Jill or Joe himself. 

You forget,,, he has masterminded schemes in Ukraine and China that have enriched himself and his family.  You forget, he masterminded the most brilliant theft of a presidential election in history.

Perhaps you have forgotten that he has a speech impediment?  Maybe you underestimate him at your own peril.  The rabbit hole is much, much deeper than you can ever imagine but,,, I've already said too much.

• Haha 2

No. It’s a problem on such a small scale it’s not going to register statistically.

Maybe, but this type of behavior appears to be increasing. No concerns that this might be another symptom of oversaturation of guns and "gun culture?"

As a matter of fact it only makes the news if it is a white shooter and black victim. The other instances would not have made the news if not for happening in the same week as the white shooter/ black victim did. 

So, three cases only made the news because of a fourth where a white man shot a black teenager. Got it.

Trains Planes And Automobiles John Candy GIF - Trains Planes And  Automobiles John Candy Drunk - Discover & Share GIFs

If it’s my child, I might go take his guns myself.

And that's all? No other punishment? I guess since you're doing it instead of the police, he'll get to see how angry you are. That'll teach him!

You put this geriatric patient in jail, which would take up considerable resources that would better be used trying to solve murders where  people are riding around shooting into other peoples houses and cars instead of just trying to defend their own. 

"Don't put people who kill innocents in jail because we need room for people who kill innocents!"

The left is just starving for racism to report on, it’s beyond ridiculous. It’s overlooking 99+% of  gun victims, already strained  with the brilliant defunding ideas. Murders have increased around 40% since 2020. Homeowners mistaking teens for intruders are not what is driving that. 

...and ending with the classic deflections. Thanks.

Edited by Leftfield
  • Like 2

Hmmmm.....

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/crime/andrew-lester-ralph-grandson-fauci-conspiracy-b2323191.html

Klint Ludwig, one of Mr Lester’s grandsons, said he became estranged from his grandfather over his embracing of right-wing conspiracy theories.

The two have been distant from each other since then, he said.

The 28-year-old grandson also claimed Mr Lester used to make disparaging comments about Black people, gay people, and immigrants – and kept a large number of firearms in his home, including rifles and handguns.

In part, Mr Ludwig said he attributes his grandfather’s actions to being “scared” because of “this 24 hour news cycle of fear and paranoia” from right-wing networks.

“I feel like a lot of people of that generation are caught up in this 24 hour news cycle of fear and paranoia perpetuated by some other news stations,” he told Don Lemon.

“He would sit and watch Fox News all day every day blaring in his living room.

“I think that stuff really reinforces that negative view of minority groups and leads people – it doesn’t necessarily lead people to be racist, but it reinforces and galvanises racist people in their beliefs.”

Mr Lester’s grandson said he felt the need to speak out against his relative because it is the “right thing to do”.

He said that the family is “disgusted” by the 84-year-old’s shooting of the Black teenager.

“Myself and my family stand with Ralph Yarl and seeking justice. This is a horrible tragedy, it never should have happened,” he said.

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

You forget,,, he has masterminded schemes in Ukraine and China that have enriched himself and his family.  You forget, he masterminded the most brilliant theft of a presidential election in history.

Perhaps you have forgotten that he has a speech impediment?  Maybe you underestimate him at your own peril.  The rabbit hole is much, much deeper than you can ever imagine but,,, I've already said too much.

Your last sentence is perfect. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

Maybe, but this type of behavior appears to be increasing. No concerns that this might be another symptom of oversaturation of guns and "gun culture?"

So, three cases only made the news because of the one where a white man shot a black teenager. Got it.

Trains Planes And Automobiles John Candy GIF - Trains Planes And  Automobiles John Candy Drunk - Discover & Share GIFs

And that's all? No other punishment? I guess since you're doing it instead of the police, he'll get to see how angry you are. That'll teach him!

"Don't put people who kill innocents in jail because we need room for people who kill innocents!"

...and ending with the classic deflections. Thanks.

9 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Hmmmm.....

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/crime/andrew-lester-ralph-grandson-fauci-conspiracy-b2323191.html

Klint Ludwig, one of Mr Lester’s grandsons, said he became estranged from his grandfather over his embracing of right-wing conspiracy theories.

The two have been distant from each other since then, he said.

The 28-year-old grandson also claimed Mr Lester used to make disparaging comments about Black people, gay people, and immigrants – and kept a large number of firearms in his home, including rifles and handguns.

In part, Mr Ludwig said he attributes his grandfather’s actions to being “scared” because of “this 24 hour news cycle of fear and paranoia” from right-wing networks.

“I feel like a lot of people of that generation are caught up in this 24 hour news cycle of fear and paranoia perpetuated by some other news stations,” he told Don Lemon.

“He would sit and watch Fox News all day every day blaring in his living room.

“I think that stuff really reinforces that negative view of minority groups and leads people – it doesn’t necessarily lead people to be racist, but it reinforces and galvanises racist people in their beliefs.”

Mr Lester’s grandson said he felt the need to speak out against his relative because it is the “right thing to do”.

He said that the family is “disgusted” by the 84-year-old’s shooting of the Black teenager.

“Myself and my family stand with Ralph Yarl and seeking justice. This is a horrible tragedy, it never should have happened,” he said.

Is cnn also reporting right wing conspiracy theories? Or are they both just showing data.. 

4C39E14F-78B8-4BA4-BB95-96A06460DC5A.jpeg

Just now, alexava said:

Is cnn also reporting right wing conspiracy theories? Or are they both just showing data.. 

There are problems to deal with. Old white men watching Fox News is way down the list.  

15 minutes ago, alexava said:

Is my interpretation right on what you are trying to say? It sounds like you are saying we shouldn't punish the old white man for shooting innocent people so we could use those resources to go after and punish the black criminal. 

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

28 minutes ago, alexava said:

What at all does this have to do with what I said?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Is the grandson culpable?  If his trial was in Austin Texas he would already be found guilty. 

I’m not defending the guy, just saying he should have his day in court…….and then hung.

So, one is far more likely to be murdered if one is black instead of white.  What's your point?

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, arein0 said:

Is my interpretation right on what you are trying to say? It sounds like you are saying we shouldn't punish the old white man for shooting innocent people so we could use those resources to go after and punish the black criminal. 

The old white man at least thought  he was protesting his home. He was extremely wrong. He is only a threat to people at his front door late at night. Without a gun he is no threat. There is a huge cost to incarcerate someone. Especially at that age I was also never in favor of incarcerating Bill Cosby. A serial rapist. He’s no threat in his 80’s under home arrest. So I’m not making these judgments based on race. I’m not mad or seeking revenge. I’m preventing a catastrophe in the most logical way. I also don’t avoid huge problems or amplify small ones to support a weak ass woke agenda. 

• Facepalm 2

5 minutes ago, alexava said:

The old white man at least thought  he was protesting his home. He was extremely wrong. He is only a threat to people at his front door late at night. Without a gun he is no threat. There is a huge cost to incarcerate someone. Especially at that age I was also never in favor of incarcerating Bill Cosby. A serial rapist. He’s no threat in his 80’s under home arrest. So I’m not making these judgments based on race. I’m not mad or seeking revenge. I’m preventing a catastrophe in the most logical way. I also don’t avoid huge problems or amplify small ones to support a weak ass woke agenda. 

"weak ass woke agenda"?   So what do you mean by that? 

Is punishing rape part of a "weak-assed woke agenda" ? 

How about punishing the act of shooting an innocent person who simply shows up on your doorstep by mistake?

You sound like just another MAGA lemming. :no:

25 minutes ago, alexava said:

The old white man at least thought  he was protesting his home. He was extremely wrong. He is only a threat to people at his front door late at night. Without a gun he is no threat. There is a huge cost to incarcerate someone.

This would also be true if he was 34. Should he have been allowed to remain free if he had been younger?

23 hours ago, homersapien said:

So, one is far more likely to be murdered if one is black instead of white.  What's your point?

22 hours ago, Leftfield said:

This would also be true if he was 34. Should he have been allowed to remain free if he had been younger?

For an explainable accident, yes. But changing gears, do you think Alec Baldwin should be charged?

23 hours ago, homersapien said:

"weak ass woke agenda"?   So what do you mean by that? 

Is punishing rape part of a "weak-assed woke agenda" ? 

How about punishing the act of shooting an innocent person who simply shows up on your doorstep by mistake?

You sound like just another MAGA lemming. :no:

I’ll take your last sentence as a compliment. I don’t think you understand the cost of incarceration. I consider it along with the benefit of it and the likelihood that the person is able to repeat the offense. An 80 year old is going to be very expensive to protect and care for medically. He can be controlled at home where a young person can’t. He is guilty of rape but convicted and under home confinement with the ankle monitor. he’s harmless unless someone is stupid enough to go to his house and drink something. 

On 4/20/2023 at 2:42 PM, homersapien said:

You know the point. 95% of  murders are intraracial. In the rare instance a black person is killed ( or shot)by a white person it’s national news. The coverage, the headlines used to push a fear is absurd. But we get an 84 year old who watches Fox News shoots a black kid who he thinks is invading his home and we want to blow it up. Hearing the comments on social media talking about how difficult and fearful it is to be black... not acknowledging they are fearing what they are told to fear. Not what is exponentially more threatening to them. Again we don’t have a “ old racist white man with a gun problem “ the problem is in the chart.