4/14/23 Football articles

aubiefifty

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Auburn interested in bringing new faces in during second transfer portal window

Daniel Locke
~2 minutes

Spring ball is over for Hugh Freeze and the Auburn Tigers and the staff is is the roster evaluation stage. It is no secret that there are areas of the team that could use some improvement and Freeze has been vocal about his intentions to find the best possible fit for each position.

The quarterback position has been one of the biggest areas of concern for the roster. Robby Ashford, Holden Geriner and T.J. Finley are the three options currently on the roster and each leaves something to be desired.

Buy Tigers Tickets

“I feel better than I did 15 practices ago,” Freeze said after A-Day. “I think from this point, now until the end of fall camp, there’s so much that needs to happen for somebody to solidify being ‘the guy.’ I think all have improved. I think all are still inconsistent with some things.”

An article from Auburn Undercover written by Christian Clemente lists some candidates that Auburn pursued in the winter. These include Greyson McCall from Coastal Carolina and Devin Leary from N.C. State. Neither option worked out for the Tigers, but Freeze is still trying to make not only the quarterback position but the roster as a whole, as deep as he possibly can.

Other positions of interest include offensive line, wide receiver, defensive line, and linebacker.

The transfer portal opens again on April 15th. In just a few days, Freeze and company will be able to go back to trying to put together the roster that will get Auburn back on track.

247sports.com

Auburn DL Jeffrey M'ba to enter transfer portal

Christian Clemente
~3 minutes

Ahead of the April 15 transfer portal window opening, Auburn defensive lineman Jeffrey M'ba has announced his intention to enter the portal. 

He is the third Auburn player to begin that process, joining linebackers Kameron Brown and Desmond Tisdol who entered the portal during the spring.

"I am grateful to have been a part of the Auburn Tigers community," M'ba wrote. "My time in Auburn has taught me lessons that extend far beyond the football field. I want to give a heartfelt thank you to Coach Harsin for recruiting and giving me the opportunity to play at Auburn. Additionally, I want to thank the entire new Auburn staff for giving me the opportunity to play under their leadership. To my teammates, thank you for always being by my side; you guys have become family to me on and off the field. Without you, I don't think I will be able to make it this far.

"A huge thanks to Dom (Studzinski) and the entire strength coaching staff for helping me reach a new level on the field. Most importantly, I would like to thank the Auburn community for embracing and supporting me throughout my time here. I never felt anything but real love from you since day 1. You are all a big family and made a part of it. I will always remember and appreciate you. The time has come for me to enter the transfer portal and take the next step as a football player. It's time for me to start my next chapter of life!"

Arriving in the Class of 2022 under Bryan Harsin and Co., M'ba was the No. 1 JUCO player in both the 247Sports Composite rankings and 247Sports rankings, coming over from Independence Community College. Originally from Gabon, M'ba came to the United States from France and began playing football shortly before moving to the United States.

In a crowded defensive line room, M'ba appeared in nine games in 2022, recording seven tackles and a sack and a forced fumble, both of which came in the Mississippi State game.

103COMMENTS

During the first transfer portal window, Auburn brought in former Kentucky defensive lineman Justin Rogers, former Purdue defensive lineman Lawrence Johnson, former Maryland defensive lineman Mosiah Nasili-Kite and Elijah McAllister to play on the edge.

Auburn Undercover will continue to update this story.

">247Sports

saturdaydownsouth.com

Joseph Phillips, 4-star LB out of Alabama, names 4 SEC teams amongst finalists

Spenser Davis
1–2 minutes

Joseph Phillips is continuing to dwindle down his list of potential college programs.

Phillips announced a top 5 on Thursday, which included 4 SEC teams: Auburn, Georgia, Tennessee and Texas A&M. He’s also still considering Clemson.

Here’s his announcement:

Where’s Home????? pic.twitter.com/qCuv651JLI

— josephphillips_2 (@D1joe22) April 13, 2023

Phillips attends Booker T. Washington High School in Tuskegee, Alabama. He’s listed at 6-foot-3, 225 pounds.

He is regarded as one of the top players in the country. Phillips is currently ranked as the No. 198 overall player and the No. 17 EDGE in the country, per 247Sports Composite rankings. He’s also the No. 17 player from the state of Alabama.

According to 247Sports crystal ball projections, Auburn is the favorite to land Phillips’ commitment.

Auburn currently has 4 commitments in the class of 2024. The Tigers have the No. 24-ranked class in the country, according to 247Sports Composite rankings.

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Four-star WR Chance Robinson to officially visit Auburn

JD McCarthy
1–2 minutes

The Auburn Tigers are looking to sign multiple impact wide receivers in the 2024 recruiting class and one target is four-star Chance Robinson.

Robinson, who is from Fort Lauderdale, Florida, seems to have plenty of interest in Auburn as he told On3’s Cole Pinkston that he has set an official visit to the Plains for June 9.

Buy Tigers Tickets

The 6-foot-2, 195-pounder is the No. 136 overall player and No. 23 wide receiver in the 247Sports Composite ranking. He is also the No. 19 player from Florida.

As a junior last season, he was the top wide receiver for St. Thomas Aquinas, which went 14-0 and captured a Florida 3M state title. He caught 29 passes for 540 yards and 13 touchdowns.

While there is mutual interest between Auburn and Robinson, it will be tough for wide receivers coach Marcus Davis to pull him away from the in-state Miami Hurricanes, who have hosted him four times already.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. You can also follow JD on Twitter @jdmccarthy15.

247sports.com

TE Martavious Collins locks in commitment date

Christian Clemente
~3 minutes

Less than a week after A-Day Auburn could be getting some positive recruiting news.

Former Alabama tight end commit and Auburn tight end target Martavious Collins announced on Thursday that he plans to commit on Friday. Auburn is the 247Sports Crystal Ball favorite to land Collins currently with two predictions in.

After A-Day, Collins said he didn't plan to commit until closer to his senior season. He also noted, though, he wasn't done with his visit and he still had more meetings with coaches and expected them to push hard for a commitment.

Collins visited Auburn for the first time last fall for the San Jose State game as an Alabama commit. He returned in January as an Alabama commit and a few weeks later he backed off that pledge. He returned this spring to Auburn for A-Day.

Not only is Auburn the Crystal Ball favorite, he came out and said so after A-Day.

"Auburn I talk to the most," Collins said. "I talk to Coach Ben (Aigamaua) and them every day. I would say (Auburn's) at the top."

In the Class of 2024, Auburn is planning to take two tight ends. Collins profiles as more of a traditional, H-back style tight end capable of lining up in the backfield or next to an offensive tackle and blocking while also being able to catch some passes.

The second tight end will likely be a hybrid pass-catcher.

During A-Day, Collins was focused on getting a feel for the new Auburn offense and what his fit could look like.

"I know the weather was bad and everything, but I got a chance to see what they do on offense and stuff like that," Collins said. "It wasn’t the most beautiful day but I’m going to be back when I see more of what they do on offense."

Collins also noted Florida State and Miami as two other schools he's talking to a lot. The industry-generated 247Sports Composite has the 6-foot-3, 241-pound Collins as the No. 507 player, No. 50 athlete and No. 54 player in Georgia. The 247Sports rankings have Collins as the No. 29 athlete and No. 35 player in Georgia.

8COMMENTS

In the Class of 2024, Auburn holds four commitments with all being inside the Top247 in Walker White, J'Marion Burnette, Jayden Lewis and A'Mon Lane. Auburn's class is No. 24 in the 247Sports team recruiting rankings.

247sports.com

3 For 3: Late flips pay early dividends for Auburn

Jason Caldwell
4–5 minutes

AUBURN, Alabama—When Hugh Freeze and his staff arrived at Auburn last December, the first order of business was to hit the recruiting trail hard to try to improve the roster. While the transfer portal additions got a lot of the attention, and deservedly so, the Tigers got three huge late commitments when Keldric Faulk flipped from Florida State, Connor Lew flipped from Miami and cornerback Kayin Lee flipped from Ohio State.

After watching the three early enrollees during spring practice, Freeze said the early returns have been nothing but positive on his prize recruits.

"It's hard for me to tell a lot until I watch the film, but I love Keldric,” Freeze said following the A-Day game. “I love his attitude. I love the way he comes to work. He should still be in high school. He and Connor Lew and Kayin Lee have really stood out as three freshmen that we think in the '23 class we'll look back on and say, 'Man, we've got us three really good ones.'”

Despite missing the majority of the winter weight workouts after having surgery to repair a thumb he injured as a senior a Highland Home, Faulk was still impressive as he picked things up quickly in his first spring on the Plains. With the size and athletic ability to get the job done, Freeze said it was more about the way he handled himself that stood out.

"No. 1, he's a great human being,” Freeze said. “He doesn't know anything yet about the college game, he's raw in some ways, but he's very, very talented and I love the way he went about his business the whole spring."

11707888.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Impressive freshman Keldric Faulk works on his pass rush moves. (Photo: Jason Caldwell, 247Sports)

A major target for Auburn since last spring, Lew was a guy that chose to go elsewhere until the new staff came onboard. It didn’t take long for Freeze, Jake Thornton, Kendall Simmons and others to show him how much he was needed by the Tigers and the opportunity he would have. Once he got on campus it didn’t take Lew to take advantage of that opportunity, showing his coaches and teammates that he’s got a bright future ahead of him.

“For him to be that young and play as good as he does, it’s really impressive,” transfer center Avery Jones said of Lew. “I know he’s going to be a heck of a player, especially in the future. He’s already a really good player right now. He can only go up. He’s a really good guy, great teammate and real coachable. Just a great player overall.

“He’s just such a quick learner. He just learns everything so quick. Real coachable. Anything Coach Thornton gave to him or shouted at him, he took that in and tried to work on it and get better. He was doing that throughout the whole spring so I think that really made him a lot better.”

Coming into a situation where Auburn returned starters D.J. James and Nehemiah Pritchett with nickel Keionte Scott also capable of playing the cornerback spot, Lee had an opportunity to learn from a group of veterans from his very first day on the job. Showing up ready to work, Lee was yet another home run for Auburn on the recruiting trail, said position coach Wesley McGriff.

6COMMENTS

He wants to be great,” the veteran assistant said. “He has the attitude and demeanor where he wants to be great. You can see it transfer over to the field, so I’m excited about his progression. He’s making plays. He’s got a lot of confidence. The biggest thing about him like that is don’t put too much on his plate and make sure you coach his confidence up. But he’s doing great. I’m excited about him. He will have an impact on this football team and this program.”

">247Sports