4/10/23 Auburn Articles

aubiefifty

saturdaydownsouth.com

Hugh Freeze speaks to QB play at Auburn spring game, adds Tigers are ‘open to’ transfer additions

Ethan Stone

2–3 minutes

Auburn football held its annual spring game Saturday in rainy conditions and, as a result, limited attendance. Some watching the Masters would agree: can’t the rain just wait a few days?

Regardless of the rain, newly-hired head coach Hugh Freeze was able to see some good things from the Auburn football team as it prepares for next season. Though they were not able to throw the ball as much as he wanted, Freeze noted that he “feels better” about Robby Ashford and the rest of the QB room compared to 15 practices ago. Freeze later admitted that there is still a ways to go before anyone solidifies their spot as “the guy.”

He did hint at the eventual opening of the transfer portal and potentially pursuing a quarterback, though. Make your own judgement:

Freeze also said Robby Ashford has been fun to coach, giving him the first run to kick things off. Below are some brief highlights from Ashford’s time in (and out of) the pocket Saturday:

TRENDING

58,148 READS

51,772 READS

23,016 READS

Ethan Stone was an editor for his student newspaper at the University of Tennessee and is now a News Manager for Saturday Down South. Follow on Twitter.

247sports.com

Hugh Freeze on Auburn QB situation: 'I feel better than I did 15 practices ago'

Sam Marsdale

3–4 minutes

Auburn head coach Hugh Freeze has options at quarterback entering his first season. Third-year players Robby Ashford and T.J. Finley are options, as well as redshirt freshman Holden Geriner. Who it is come fall remains to be seen, but Freeze saw progress as spring camp closes.

“I feel better than I did 15 practices ago,” Freeze said about the team’s situation at quarterback. “I really think that from this point now until the end of fall camp, there's so much that needs to happen for somebody to solidify being the guy. And I think all have improved. I think all are still inconsistent with some things.”

To see everything Freeze said after the A-Day game, check out his full comments from Auburn Undercover.

Ashford served as the Tigers' primary starter in 2022. But the continuation of that role hinges on the course of offseason competition, including the potential for another arrival to the quarterbacks room via the portal.

Ashford, last season, appeared in all 12 games for the Tigers, passing for 1,613 yards and seven touchdowns against seven interceptions. Ashford initially lost the starting competition to Finley but overtook Finley early in the season, starting the final nine contests of the season for the Tigers. Finley, who started at LSU before transferring to The Plains in 2021, also returns to Auburn this season.

“I thought all three of them responded to our challenges and were like, 'Coach, just please coach me.' I think you saw today that he's got the capability of making some plays,” Freeze said. “I thought he threw a really good seam ball in those conditions.

“… I thought Holden threw some good balls. He missed a couple of reads on some RPOs, I think. T.J. did, too. But it's kind of been that way all spring — some really positives one day, and some inconsistencies the next day. We've still got time to help them improve, hopefully.”

Freeze, who rose to prominence as the head coach at Ole Miss in the 2010s, was 34-15 in four seasons at Liberty and previously guided Ole Miss to a pair of AP Top 25 finishes in 2014 and 2015, though the program was forced to vacate a number of wins from his tenure due to recruiting violations. There was plenty of reaction following his hire at Auburn, but Freeze maintains that the vibes are high.

Get the fastest scores, stats, news, LIVE videos, and more. CLICK HERE to download the CBS Sports Mobile App and get the latest on your team today.

The Tigers open their season Sept. 2 at home against Massachusetts.

Dean Straka contributed to this report.

">247Sports

si.com

Auburn A-day: Quarterback Analysis

Matthew Jacobs
13–16 minutes

Yes, there were several limiting factors for Auburn quarterbacks during A-day. It was a toad-strangler type of rainfall on the plains today, which is never conducive to good passing. There was going to be a minimized scheme as well as modified personnel groupings. However, there was enough there on film to get a decent feel for the progressions of each of these quarterbacks after fifteen Spring practices.

Sixty

That’s how many total yards of passing were accumulated by the three quarterbacks that played Saturday. That is not subtracting the sack yardage. It was a turnover-free day, which wasn’t for lack of trying. 

I know, there will be a lot who say the running game (280 yards) was pushed to the forefront by the weather. There is some truth to that. Still, even if the weather had been a chamber of commerce type day, you had better believe you were going to get heavy doses of that offensive line and those running backs. There wasn’t a quarterback on the field today that was going to throw for a lot regardless of the situation or what anyone said.

There will probably be games like this in the Autumn. Cold, rainy, windy, it won’t matter then, the QB1 of this team will have to play in it. An analysis of how today went is an excellent example of where Auburn stands. It should be noted the order in which the quarterbacks entered the game. Robby Ashford got the nod to start. Followed by TJ Finley and Holden Geriner, respectively. The best way to do this is with the sell/keep/buy method. After an extensive look at the film:

Who I am selling

TJ Finley. I must admit I was looking for a lot more from Finley after having the starting role last year, plus all of his arm talent. Finley came in with the second string on Saturday. His first throw was an absolute bullet to receiver Tar 'Varish Dawson on a line screen that was promptly dropped. It was on the money and Dawson is probably still feeling where it hit him. 

His second throw was another decent dart, to Nick Mardner this time, it was a fair check-down read as everyone else was locked down. Either way, freshman Kayin Lee made one heck of a play to recover on and knock away. It was listed on the broadcast as a drop, but on film, Lee definitely made-up space and got a hand on it. That was all the action Finley saw in the first half as the offense went stagnant.

He started the second half and that’s when the train that wasn’t on the rails properly, fully came off and derailed. Finley misses a wide-open check down and instead throws deep into triple coverage, yes you read that right, triple coverage. Any defense in the country picks that one off. The Auburn secondary was so confused by this pass they just knocked it away and stared at each other. Once again, his check-down man would have been able to catch the ball running for a big play. There was nothing redeeming about this throw, his mechanics, or the decision-making.

Back to the action: Finley’s next pass attempt is a stop-and-stare to Nick Mardner for a three-yard game. One might think that is a great thing. The truth is this was at best a knockdown and at worst a pick-six against any first-string defense Auburn is going to face. For the entirety of the play, Finley stared down Mardner. The defense gave that play; Finley didn’t make it. I will give him credit for a correct zone read on his next play, but once again, running is not his skill set. The play basically goes nowhere as no defense is the least bit concerned about his speed.

One would imagine that the lame duck into triple coverage mentioned earlier would be the worst of the day. Not a chance. Finley had what can only be described as the worst quarterback play, offensive play, worst pass, and worst decision-making play of the day in one..single..play. He leaves the pocket for zero reason, his protection was fantastic, and he had open receivers that he never looked towards, yet he scrambles up into his pass protection, and half sidearms a wayward pass, that bounced towards a tight end that was within three yards of him. When the coaches go back and look at this one on film the mind boggles as to what their reaction will be.

Play after play, Finley looked lost. His eyes were never in the right position on a passing play. He has what is called “pocket anxiety”. His footwork is not where it should be with how far along he is in his career. There is no question about this man’s arm strength. It just has not translated to the field for Auburn football. If anything, there has been a regression over where he was last year. That might be a shame, but this is the SEC. Auburn needs more.  More on that later. He finished his day on 1 for 4 passing (25%) and gifted thirteen yards rushing.

Who I am keeping

Holden Geriner, If Auburn can keep him, has a bright future as a quarterback. He is not there yet. He came in with the third-string today and, if we are being fair, looked like what he is. A redshirt freshman quarterback with potential but no real game experience. 

Geriner’s first pass attempt sailed several feet over a tight end in the flat. I am going to give the benefit of the doubt here and say that it is possible he saw the defensive player make a break on the route and threw it high on purpose. If that is the case, kudos young man. If, however, he had managed to keep the ball where it could be caught, it would have gone in the other direction for a pick-six. He stared down where he was going with the ball for 3.6 seconds. It was either smart or lucky that he airmailed it into the bench.

The next play of note, he bobbled a low snap in the shotgun. In these conditions, it really was an incredible play to maintain possession and get it handed to the running back in time. It was a play most people will miss, but it was an outstanding job. His eyes were on the ball, it was truly fantastic work to maintain composure. This is one of those “non-thinking” football plays that coaches love.

Geriner took a sack on his next dropback. I put this one on the offensive line. It was nearly immediate, and someone missed their assignment there.

Geriner was left in to start the second quarter with a bit of a “should have” play. He misreads an RPO but makes positive yards to the sideline. If he had chosen the pass option, he had Rivaldo Fairweather wide open for a big gain. For a quarterback with his arm, the pass option should always be checked. No harm, no foul. Chalk it up to a lesson learned. 

Once again, on another possession, Geriner does a great job of digging out a low snap. He bobbles it, but picks it up, gets his eyes up, and completes what at the time was the first forward completion of the ball game. An amazing play for a kid in what was essentially his first bad-condition play in front of a massive crowd. That was it for his first half.

In the second half, Geriner forgot that his flat receiver wasn’t thirteen feet tall with a 48-inch vertical on his first pass attempt. That is to say, he was high by about two yards. Not great.

He does recover to zip a ball complete to a slip route out of the backfield that running back Sean Jackson made an outstanding catch on. It lacked “touch” and was really smoked in there, but it was on target and complete.

We are going to go ahead and give Geriner credit for a well-thrown ball to Landon King that netted twenty-four yards and moved the Tigers into scoring range. It should be recognized that this play would have been a sack and should have been called dead. Looking at the film it's probable that three offensive linemen were illegally downfield. And cornerback Kayin Lee was beaten by about seven yards on the play due to slipping, and he missed the tackle. Now, glossing over all that, it was a really good throw. His footwork was solid, and he did exactly what he was supposed to do.

Geriner did make the poorer choice on three zone reads, but he gets it right for a two-point conversion. It should be remembered that this play was a surprise to him as he thought the field goal team was coming in. He, and to be honest, everyone on offense, did as about as well as could be done and he showed little speed in getting the two points. That was it for his day.

It was a fairly impressive performance for where he is in his career. He is not ready to start in the SEC. I am not sure there is enough fall camp to get him to where he is ready for 2023. He will be a good quarterback. But when? He finished his day 3-5 for 17 yards (odd with a 24-yard completion). As odd as it is to say, out of the three he looks like a "quarterback" the most. Really kept his composure for the most part and fought through some adversity. 

Who I am buying

Robby Ashford. Keep in mind, this is an impulse purchase that has to be made. It is one of those “you forgot to buy a gift, so you are in a pharmacy eight minutes before a birthday party” type of buys.

Right off the bat, it is fair to state that there was improvement with Ashford. He came out as the “starter” and looked very comfortable in this offense. He shot out of the gates fast with a good RPO read and a run around the end for a first down. He nearly got to open up his jets before being “tackled”, even though he didn’t, you could still see his pure speed and athleticism.

His first pass attempt left a lot to be desired. It was low, could have been intercepted at the line of scrimmage, but was harmlessly batted down by Caleb Wooden on a heads-up play. Tip your hat to the defense there and also realize it was the right read and he had an open receiver.

Ashford continued to do what he does, the defense had all the receivers locked down, so he scrambled for a first down. Followed by a nice zone read touchdown of twelve yards. Ashford came back in close to the end of the first half to show off his legs again. Runs for a first down. His ability to run was a constant threat. 

Then Ashford had the play of the game. He picked on Freshmen Kayin Lee and nailed Tar ’Varish Dawson perfectly in stride for a thirty-nine-yard completion that was nearly perfect in every way. Ashford really excelled with this go-route toss. He spun a beautifully timed ball to look like a quarterback should. The footwork was good. Mechanics strong. He did stare down Dawson a bit, but otherwise it was a throw that showed quite a lot of improvement from last season.

He chased that with a decently thrown fade to the endzone for Landon King. It could have been placed a little higher for King to go get, but it was close enough on target to be successful. Here is a familiar name by this point, Kayin Lee was there for a really solid defensive play to knock loose the sure touchdown.

Ashford ended his day in the first half with a fairly decent scramble and clever side-arm flick to his tight end. Even though it was dropped it was another flash of what Ashford could be capable of. He ended his day on 1 for 3 passing gaining 39 yards with another 38 yards and a touchdown on the ground.

Coach-speak

After the game Offensive Coordinator Phillip Montgomery stated that the quarterbacks are still missing the consistency that Auburn needs. Head Coach Freeze commented that he feels that Ashford improved and that he felt that Ashford and never been challenged like he was this Spring. Still, Freeze, he has said time and time again, stated he is open to getting a quarterback out of portal and that quarterback was definitely a position Auburn was looking at.

“Do I think we can win some games with what we have? Yes. But I don’t want to be put in a box where I say something, and we do something different.” - Coach Hugh Freeze

Final thoughts

Time for some prognostication. I think, after today’s game, that when the portal opens, we will see TJ Finley enter it and drop down to a division and a program where he might get to start and show off his arm. If he stays, he should fall to third, possibly fourth in the depth chart by the start of the season.

I don’t have a solid feeling for what Geriner is going to do. It would be great to see him stay and build on what he has. However, with Hank Brown coming in the Fall, Walker White committed for the next year, and a possible portal quarterback coming in, the kid has a tough choice to make. The room is going to fill up fast. Does he see himself in it? We will find out shortly.

Ashford isn’t going anywhere. Make no mistake, if Ashford is the starter come 2023 this will be for one of two reasons: One, a massive failure by the coaching staff in getting a quarterback from the portal. Or two, no quarterback of note shows up in the portal that says yes. Ashford gets this team to seven, perhaps eight wins if everything goes smoothly. A running quarterback having an injury is always a factor, he was injured last year, and rumor says he has suffered through a couple in Spring practices. He is a solid QB2 at this point in his career and should really flourish in that role. Perhaps they put in a few "wild cat" type formation in for him and he gets used quite a bit. It is just hard to picture him as a starter unless he has an amazing Fall camp.

I highly doubt the starting QB was on the field today. Even with Ashford's encouraging progressions, he is currently a back-up SEC quarterback. The running backs, offensive line, and this defense will give this team a chance in every game. If Freeze could truly pull off a coup with a quarterback out of the portal, his first season leading Auburn could be very interesting. If not, there will have to be a limited game plan and a nod towards getting some upsets to interest recruits for the future. We will know more about which it's going to be by May. Keep it locked to Auburn Daily to see what happens with the upcoming portal and all things Auburn. 

Engage with Auburn Daily on Socials!

• Thanks 1

247sports.com

Auburn QBs discuss wet A-Day that was short on passing plays

Mark Murphy
8–10 minutes

AUBURN, Alabama–Coach Hugh Freeze said the plan was to “air it out” for Saturday’s A-Day Game, which made sense with a three-player race on-going to become the Auburn football’s team’s No. 1 quarterback. However, when the final whistle blew on a spring game with just 51 plays, only a dozen passes were thrown in a scrimmage played on a windy afternoon with heavy rain.

Robby Ashford completed 1-3 passes for 39 yards, Holden Geriner completed 3-5 for 17 yards and T.J. Finley hit 1-4 for four yards and ran the football three times for 13 yards. Ashford rushed for a touchdown and netted 38 yards on six carries. Geriner ran the ball twice for seven yards.

“Most definitely, we wanted to showcase some of the guys on the outside and make them look good,” Finley said of the plan going into A-Day, the 15th and final practice of spring drills that ended in a 24-24 tie with the defense starting with 24 points and the offense challenged to beat that total.

“Especially for us, quarterbacks always want to throw the ball, but our running backs did a heck of a job today running the ball,” Finley pointed out.

“Offensive line came off the ball with some power, even though it was raining so hard,” Finley said. “We got to showcase that side of our offense as well, which is always good. I am happy with how today went. We had fun and we ended in a tie so that was good.”

Asked about how he is handling the battle for playing time, the 6-7, 245-pounder, who has dropped 15 pounds from last season to improve his quickness,  said, “It’s just about competing, bettering ourselves in each aspect of the game—mentally, physically. Anywhere in the country, guys are competing at each and every school. It’s always good to compete. You need competition to bring the best out of you each and every day, and I think we’re all responding to it well.”

Finley transferred to Auburn in 2021 looking to be a full-time starter. He opened last season No. 1 on the depth chart, but went down with an injury and Ashford finished the year as the No. 1 quarterback.

Asked if he will stay for the 2023 season if he finds out he is not the starter, Finley said, “I am not sure. I am just focusing on having a good Sunday tomorrow and having a good dinner with my family.”

11715585.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 T.J. Finley finds running room on a quarterback draw play for a first down. (Photo: Greg McWilliams, 247Sports)

When asked what he needs to do to hang on to the starting job he held late last year, Ashford said, “I honestly couldn't tell you. I don't know what all, but I just know I have got to keep coming out every single day, just putting my head down and working and being that leader for the guys. Whatever happens, happens.

“I am going to keep coming out and working, and at the end of day, if I'm QB1, I would love it, but I am going to come out and work every single day. I just don't know how to not work. I love working.

“These coaches, they love working, too,” Ashford pointed out. “We go hand-in-hand. Now it's just 'how can we take this to the next level?' and just getting more comfortable in the offense.

“Now I have had those 15 practices, I feel good, and now it's just okay, keep learning, keep growing, and when we get to fall camp, I'll know it like the back of my hand. It's really that and then just being that leader, being that constant leader–not playing on that emotional roller coaster, being level-headed, never being too high, never being too low. I feel like we really talked about that, and I feel like that's going to take my game to the next level, not even just on the field. It's just up here (pointing to his head).

“When your mental's good, it clears a whole lot of things,” Ashford added. “Definitely last year I would say my mental wasn't in the best spot. It was just a rough year. I feel like really nobody's (mental state) was, but now we gave got a fresh new start. I have cleared my head. I just feel better playing. I just feel like I am having fun.

"It has been exciting these 15 practices. This coaching staff, our strength staff, nutritionist, trainers, everybody, the time and effort they have put in from when we got here in January to now has meant the whole world because it shows how much they care and how much they want us to succeed as much as we want to as well. I feel like everything is coming together and now it's just: 'How can we just keep taking it up?'”

Geriner, a redshirt freshman, said, “As y'all I'm sure saw out there, it was not the best weather, but it was still awesome to be out there with all the guys and just compete and have some fun. It was a lot of fun just getting out there with all the guys. It was really a great experience. I am super appreciative of all the fans that came out there and supported.”

Geriner showed signs of improvement in the spring. Asked about that, he said, “I feel like I have grown tremendously from a physical aspect, as well as mental. I feel like I am in a much better place mentally and just confidence-wise.

“Then, along with the physical aspect of that, it helps me just going out there every day and just having the confidence in there to make all the throws I know I can,” Geriner said. “I definitely feel really good and ready to play."

Asked where he has improved the most, the quarterback said, “I would say just confidence and just staying calm. I think that's something that he looks at in a quarterback, just being calm and confident so that's something that I really took to heart and just tried to improve on. Also, being able to run. I know I can make all the throws so just being able to improve my legs is something I have worked on a lot."

A-Day Notes:

* Ashford won the Lionel James A-Day Offensive MVP Award. D.J. James, a senior cornerback, won the Mark Dorminey Defensive MVP  Award with four solo tackles. Kicker Alex McPherson, a redshirt freshman, was the Lewis Colbert Speciality Teams MVP after making two of three field goals with makes of 39 and 33 and was wide right on a 49-yarder.

*Walk-on Evan McGuire made his only field goal try from 19 yards.

* There was no punting in the scrimmage, but Oscar Chapman got major praise from Freeze for how the senior from Australia was punting the ball in warmups.

* Sean Jackson got the most carries (13) and gained the most yards (77) on Saturday. The 5-9, 233 sophomore averaged 5.9 yards per carry. Walk-on Justin Jones, a 6-1, 210 junior, carried the ball 11 times for 50 yards and one touchdown.

* Damari Alston, a sophomore who won praise from Freeze for his play all spring, finished with 43 yards on five carries and did it vs. the No. 1 defense. Newcomer Brian Battie, a transfer from USF, gained 32 yards on seven carries. The likely starter, Jarquez Hunter, gained 27 yards on four runs.

* Linebacker Jake Levant, a former walk-on put on scholarship last year, led all tacklers with five solos and one assist, just ahead of linebacker Eugene Asante’s five solo stops. Levant and jack Hayden Brice each made one quarterback sack. Another linebacker, Ole Miss transfer Austin Keys, made three solo stops, one behind cornerback D.J. James.

* There were no turnovers in the game despite the heavy rain that kept fans away. The announced attendance of 16,374 must have included fans who pre-purchased tickets, but stayed away due to the bad weather.

12COMMENTS

* Former Auburn baseball star Frank Thomas was recognized at halftime of the A-Day Game. Earlier in the day he was celebrated with a statue in his honor unveiled at Plainsman Park.

Thomas came to Auburn on football scholarship playing tight end. Even though he was likely good enough to play in the NFL, his college football coach, Pat Dye, recommended to Thomas that he concentrate on baseball because of the first baseman’s terrific skills in that sport. Thomas, playing for Coach Hal Baird, became an All-American baseball player and eventually the first and so far only SEC player to be inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.

">247Sports
  • Thanks 1

Auburn Football

A-Day: Which recruits attended Auburn’s spring game? Is a commitment soon?

Published: Apr. 09, 2023, 12:29 p.m.

Auburn's Hugh Freeze talks quarterbacks and more after A-Day spring scrimmage

NEW!

By

Nick Alvarez | nalvarez@al.com

Auburn football appeared to make the most of its rainy scrimmage on Saturday. How did the Tigers fare recruiting-wise?

Hugh Freeze’s presence on the trail has been apparent since his hire. He’s prioritized relationships and pulled in 12 transfers and a late push with high schoolers in the class of 2023. The next step is Freeze’s first full cycle in 2024. That meant showing what he’s built on the Plains during A-Day.

By early accounts, it appears Auburn was effective on its biggest recruiting opportunity of the spring. Multiple four- and five-star prospects were in town, including a set of recent commits helping the coaching staff make their pitch. At least one may be close to a decision. 2024 athlete Martavious Collins of Rome, Georgia, is a 247Sports Composite four-star and was forecasted to the Tigers after his visit.

Here are some of the key prospects that made an appearance in Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Class of 2024

KJ Bolden: 5-star DB from Buford (Georgia) High; uncommitted; No. 4 overall recruit in 247Sports Composite

Perry Thompson: 5-star WR from Foley (Alabama) High; committed to the Crimson Tide; No. 39 overall

Justin Greene: 4-star DL from Mountain View (Georgia) High; uncommitted; No. 81 overall

Cameron Coleman: 4-star WR from Central-Phenix City (Alabama) High; uncommitted; No. 96 overall

Walker White: 4-star QB from Little Rock (Arkansas) Christian; committed to Auburn; No. 118 overall

Kevin Riley: 4-star RB from Tuscaloosa (Alabama) Country; uncommitted; No. 167 overall

Sterling Dixon: 4-star EDGE from Mobile (Alabama) Christian; committed to the Crimson Tide; No. 184 overall

Courtney Crutchfield: 4-star WR from Pine Bluff (Arkansas) High; uncommitted; No. 391 overall

Tevis Metcalf: 3-star ATH from Parker (Alabama) High; uncommitted; No. 78 CB

Malik Autry: DL from Opelika (Alabama) High; committed to Auburn

Alvin Henderson: RB from Elba (Alabama) High; uncommitted

Nino Freeman: QB from IMG (Florida) Academy; uncommitted

RELATED: What Nick Saban said about Hugh Freeze’s idea for an in-state spring game

Robby Ashford embracing challenge from Hugh Freeze

Nick Alvarez is a reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @nick_a_alvarez or email him at NAlvarez@al.com.

• Thanks 1

Auburn finishes Spring practice season on high note in waterlogged A-Day

By Nolan Knight

Apr 8, 2023

A big question coming into the day for the Auburn Tigers was who would stand out at the quarterback position. Freeze hadn't named a starter going into spring practice and with today's conditions the Tigers never really got a chance to see which quarterback was best in the passing game.

"We really had every intention to throw that ball around today and it would have been really ugly and a lot of three and outs if we had to do that but I think Robby (Ashford) got better"

Despite the Tigers completing just four passes it was clear that Robby Ashford had the best game between the three quarterbacks competing, rushing for 38 yards and a score.

"I just know I got to keep coming out each and every day and being that leader for the guys but whatever happens I'm going to keep coming out and working. At the end of the day if I'm QB-one i would love it. I love working and these coaches love working too so it's just how can we take this to the next level."

It was the running game that really impressed on a soggy Jordan-Hare field with Sean Jackson impressing the most, tallying 77 yards on the ground including a 16-yard scamper.

"I think from today we are running the ball really well, getting the dirty yards from our backs and our QBs getting some yards today I think we improved on our O-line"

Although it wasn't a generic game the offense needed to score 24 points to catch up with the defense who began the game up 24-0 and with just One second on the clock Fort Payne High School star Alex McPherson stepped up and drilled a 33-yarder securing a 24-24 tie and leaving both the offense and defense pleased with their day.

"I said, look, our ones, twos and threes got the same amount of possessions. Do y'all want to go ones right here from the three-yard line for the win or loss, one play? They were quiet for a long time on that. They didn't give me an answer for a while and i said, 'are you going to answer?' and they said, 'let's leave it a tie,' so i'm happy with the way it ended. It really is good seeing them kick that thing through under those conditions. It was really, really soggy and wet and the snap was really slow. It was good that we got some of that experience."

Edited by aubiefifty

al.com

Hugh Freeze feels 'better' about Auburn's QBs, but portal still in play

Updated: Apr. 08, 2023, 4:21 p.m.|Published: Apr. 08, 2023, 4:18 p.m.
7–9 minutes

Two months ago, before he ever coached a practice at Auburn, Hugh Freeze was anxious to get on the field and evaluate the Tigers’ trio of returning quarterbacks — Robby Ashford, T.J. Finley and Holden Geriner — firsthand.

After accepting the job on the Plains, Freeze only had the opportunity to review cutups of each quarterbacks’ film, the good and the bad. It was hard to gauge just what he had to work with at the most important position on the field. Fast forward to A-Day, the last of 15 official spring practices, and Freeze is feeling a bit more at ease about Auburn’s quarterback situation heading into Year 1, though the position is far from settled.

Read more Auburn football: Hugh Freeze wants to address these five positions in the spring transfer portal window

Hugh Freeze makes the case for replacing spring games with charity exhibitions against other schools

Auburn trying to strike right balance with new up-tempo offense this spring

“I feel better than I did 15 practices ago,” Freeze said Saturday after his first spring game with the Tigers. “I really think that from this point now until the end of fall camp, there’s so much that needs to happen for somebody to solidify being the guy. And I think all have improved. I think all are still inconsistent with some things.”

It was another blunt assessment from Freeze, who has not minced his words when it comes to critiquing and praising the progress of Auburn’s quarterbacks this spring. He reiterated Saturday that the competition will wage into fall camp, that the offseason months will be a critical piece of the puzzle for determining QB1 and that Auburn won’t shy away from adding another quarterback option in the post-spring transfer portal that when it opens in a week.

For as much attention as Auburn’s quarterbacks have received over the last six weeks, though, little could actually be gleaned from Saturday’s rain-soaked spring game. Auburn attempted a total of 12 passes — with two more designed pass plays that resulted in “sacks” (albeit noncontact for the quarterbacks — across the duration of the A-Day scrimmage, which ended in a 24-24 tie after the defense was spotted a 24-0 advantage at the onset of the day.

Ashford, as has been the case for much of spring, was the first quarterback to get his crack with the offense. He led a touchdown drive on his first possession, capping a 10-play, 65-yard drive with a 7-yard touchdown run. His lone pass attempt on the drive was incomplete, but he ran the ball four times for 23 yards as Auburn’s run game showed signs of promise.

Ashford completed just one of his three pass attempts on the day, with the lone completion a 39-yard seam down the field to Tar’Varish Dawson Jr. down to the 9-yard line. That led to a field goal as time expired in the second quarter.

“I think you saw today that he’s got the capability of making some plays,” Freeze said of Ashford, who earned offensive MVP honors for the second consecutive A-Day.

Finley was the second quarterback in the rotation again on A-Day. The offense went three-and-out on his first possession on the field, but he led a pair of field goal drives in the second half, including the one that resulted in Alex McPherson’s 33-yard game-tying kick as time expired in the weather-shortened scrimmage, which was called after three quarters.

Finley finished the day 1-of-4 passing for 4 yards, and while it wasn’t much, he has received credit this spring for his improved accuracy this spring and his understanding of how to play within Freeze’s offense.

“I believe I can compete with anybody in the country, and that’s why I transferred here from LSU,” Finley said. “I felt like I can compete with Bo Nix (in 2021). Competition doesn’t scare me. I know who I am. I know what I can do, and with the right coaches, I know who I can grow into and hopefully this is the place. Competition brings the best out of everybody, and if you can’t handle competition, you don’t need to be in this industry. That’s how I look at it. I serve a great God, and God has put me here for a reason, and I’m going to fulfill my destiny here.”

Geriner was third in the rotation at quarterback, though his second possession included some work with the first-team offensive line. The redshirt freshman, who took a step forward in his development midway through the spring, had the best passing numbers of the trio Saturday, though that wasn’t saying much considering how little Auburn did in the passing game under the conditions at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Geriner completed 3-of-5 passes for 17 yards and led a touchdown drive late in the third quarter. He also converted a 2-point attempt at the end of that drive to get the offense within a field goal late. After appearing in just one game with limited snaps last season, Geriner said he feels confident and calm this spring despite the coaching change.

“I feel like I’ve grown tremendously from a physical aspect as well as mental,” Geriner said. “I feel like I’m in a lot better place mentally and just confidence-wise. Then along with the physical aspect of that, it helps me going out there every day and having the confidence in there to make all the throws I know I can. I definitely feel good and ready to play.”

Freeze may feel better about Auburn’s quarterback room than he did upon taking the head coaching gig late last year, but he wants to see more from each of them in the coming months. Consistency will be key, as will leadership. Summer months, with individual workouts and player-only practices, will factor into the decision come fall, and it remains to be seen whether any of the three quarterbacks who took the field at Jordan-Hare Stadium on Saturday will be the guy for the Tigers when they open the season against UMass.

The spring transfer portal opens in a week and runs from April 15-30. Freeze has been upfront with the trio that he plans to explore the options in the portal, and if he can find the right fit, he’ll pursue adding a quarterback to the room — just as he will for any position on the roster.

“I know people make a big deal out of that, but the bottom line is you’re constantly — I think competition is helpful for those that handle it right,” Freeze said. “And for those that don’t, they’re probably not going to be winners for you anyway. And so, we’re open. Do I think we can win some games with what we have? Yes. I do. But, you know, I don’t want to ever be put in a box where I say something, and I do the opposite. I don’t know the answer. I don’t know if we are. I know that I would be open to it.”

Ashford, Finley and Geriner have appreciated Freeze’s honesty throughout the spring — from his “brutally honest” evaluations of them both publicly and privately, to not hiding his desire to explore the portal for any potential additions to the room.

“That’s the best way to be,” Finley said. “There’s no sugarcoating it when you want to get better, and as a competitor you want that out of a coach. You want to be criticized, you want to be coached hard, I think we’re all — like I said — responding to it well.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

• Like 1

How will Jeremiah Cobb be used in Auburn’s offense this season?

Taylor Jones

Mon, April 10, 2023 at 6:00 AM CDT

After watching A-Day last Saturday, it has become clear that the running back position will be Auburn’s strongest unit heading into the 2023 season.

Jarquez Hunter is expected to be the bell cow of the group, with Brian Battie and Damari Alston showing signs of positivity on Saturday. Two more backs, Sean Jackson and Justin Jones, also threw their hat into contention to grab solid carries after ending the game as Auburn’s leading rushers.

With a group this stacked, that leaves one question to be answered… “what role will Jeremiah Cobb have in the Auburn offense this season?”

Cobb, a four-star running back from Montgomery, did not compete in spring drills as he is set to graduate from Montgomery Catholic Preparatory School in May. Cobb was one of Auburn’s first commits of the 2023 cycle and has remained loyal to the Tigers throughout his recruitment. He brings a reputable resume with him to the Plains by rushing for over 6,500 yards and 75 touchdowns during his high school campaign.

His credentials are telling, but will he see the field as a freshman? Running backs coach Cadillac Williams answered that question prior to A-Day by saying that the ball is in Cobb’s court.

“If Jeremiah Cobb comes in here and he’s the best out there on the field, then he is going to be on the field. I’m a firm believer − my guys know − that I am fair. … Coach (Hugh) Freeze, (offensive coordinator Philip) Montgomery and myself, we’re going to do what’s best for the team. If we feel like a freshman or whoever is the best player out there, then (they play). That is what I am a believer in. I’m honest with my guys. They’re going to create their roles on this team. … I always challenge my guys: Let’s be a realist, man. Film don’t lie. So, again, Jeremiah Cobb will come into this thing and he will have ample opportunity to prove what he can do.”

Cobb is the third-highest-rated signee of the 2023 cycle from Auburn, trailing Keldric Faulk and Kayin Lee. Cobb signed with Auburn as the No. 16 recruit from the state of Alabama, and the No. 11 running back in the country according to 247Sports.

Story originally appeared on Auburn Wire

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Geriner’s first pass attempt sailed several feet over a tight end in the flat. I am going to give the benefit of the doubt here and say that it is possible he saw the defensive player make a break on the route and threw it high on purpose. If that is the case, kudos young man. If, however, he had managed to keep the ball where it could be caught, it would have gone in the other direction for a pick-six. He stared down where he was going with the ball for 3.6 seconds. It was either smart or lucky that he airmailed it into the bench.

The next play of note, he bobbled a low snap in the shotgun. In these conditions, it really was an incredible play to maintain possession and get it handed to the running back in time. It was a play most people will miss, but it was an outstanding job. His eyes were on the ball, it was truly fantastic work to maintain composure. This is one of those “non-thinking” football plays that coaches love.

Geriner took a sack on his next dropback. I put this one on the offensive line. It was nearly immediate, and someone missed their assignment there.

Geriner was left in to start the second quarter with a bit of a “should have” play. He misreads an RPO but makes positive yards to the sideline. If he had chosen the pass option, he had Rivaldo Fairweather wide open for a big gain. For a quarterback with his arm, the pass option should always be checked. No harm, no foul. Chalk it up to a lesson learned. 

Once again, on another possession, Geriner does a great job of digging out a low snap. He bobbles it, but picks it up, gets his eyes up, and completes what at the time was the first forward completion of the ball game. An amazing play for a kid in what was essentially his first bad-condition play in front of a massive crowd. That was it for his first half.

In the second half, Geriner forgot that his flat receiver wasn’t thirteen feet tall with a 48-inch vertical on his first pass attempt. That is to say, he was high by about two yards. Not great.

He does recover to zip a ball complete to a slip route out of the backfield that running back Sean Jackson made an outstanding catch on. It lacked “touch” and was really smoked in there, but it was on target and complete.

We are going to go ahead and give Geriner credit for a well-thrown ball to Landon King that netted twenty-four yards and moved the Tigers into scoring range. It should be recognized that this play would have been a sack and should have been called dead. Looking at the film it's probable that three offensive linemen were illegally downfield. And cornerback Kayin Lee was beaten by about seven yards on the play due to slipping, and he missed the tackle. Now, glossing over all that, it was a really good throw. His footwork was solid, and he did exactly what he was supposed to do.

Geriner did make the poorer choice on three zone reads, but he gets it right for a two-point conversion. It should be remembered that this play was a surprise to him as he thought the field goal team was coming in. He, and to be honest, everyone on offense, did as about as well as could be done and he showed little speed in getting the two points. That was it for his day.

Lmao at this "description" of all of his plays, then this outcome....

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

It was a fairly impressive performance

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Lmao at this "description" of all of his plays, then this outcome....

i miss the old days when you could pick up a paper on a sunday and monday. i believe the writers were better. i have posted the same article with different titles on here and usually let them pass if i am in a hurry or they might have a comment or two different. now there is no imagination much and click bait.

Projecting Auburn football’s 2023 post-spring depth chart

Published: Apr. 10, 2023, 7:05 a.m.

8–10 minutes

Hugh Freeze jumped on the headset in the waning moments of his first A-Day game as Auburn’s head coach and presented an option to his coordinators, Philip Montgomery and Ron Roberts.

With the defense clinging to a 24-21 lead late in the third quarter — the final period of a weather-shortened scrimmage — Freeze asked the pair if they wanted to line it up with the starters for a winner-take-all final play from the 3-yard line. There was a long pause on the headsets before Freeze prodded for a response from the two veteran coordinators.

Read more Auburn football: Which recruits attended A-Day, and could a commitment be coming soon?

T.J. Finley addresses future amid uncertain quarterback situation after A-Day

Hugh Freeze wants to address these five positions in the spring transfer portal window

They ultimately decided to punt — or, well, kick. They didn’t want to go for the win, instead opting to let kicker Alex McPherson attempt a walk-off, 33-yard field goal. McPherson drilled the kick, and A-Day ended in a 24-24 tie in which everyone went home a winner. Steak dinners for all.

“Happy with the way it ended,” Freeze said afterward.

And just like that, Auburn’s first spring of Freeze’s tenure culminated on the rain-soaked field at Jordan-Hare Stadium. The Tigers held 15 practices over the course of six weeks as Freeze and his staff worked to install their systems and their culture, as well as evaluate the program in the early stages of this new era on the Plains.

While Freeze said at the onset of spring practices at the end of February that there wouldn’t be a depth chart this spring, AL.com has put together a projected post-spring two-deep for the Tigers. This depth chart is based on observations from open periods of practice over the last six weeks, as well as information gathered from speaking with coaches and players over the course of the spring season.

Here’s where we see things standing entering the summer:

OFFENSE

Quarterback

Robby Ashford, sophomore

T.J. Finley, junior OR Holden Geriner, redshirt freshman

The 411: The quarterback competition is far from over, but Ashford appears to be the frontrunner. He opened spring as the first quarterback in the rotation, and he closed it as the first on the field with the starting offense on A-Day.

Running back

Jarquez Hunter, junior

Damari Alston, sophomore OR Brian Battie, junior

The 411: Auburn has to feel good about its running back room after the offense rushed for 292 sack-adjusted yards and averaged 6 yards per attempt on A-Day. Hunter is poised to take the lead role after Tank Bigsby’s departure, while Alston and Battie should both have roles in the offense.

Tight end

Rivaldo Fairweather, junior

Luke Deal, senior OR Tyler Fromm, senior

The 411: Fairweather, a transfer from FIU, has been a revelation this spring. He’s a big-bodied, 6-foot-4 weapon with an impressive catch radius and athleticism that should help expand Auburn’s passing game. It’s a deep tight end room, and veterans like Deal and Fromm will be factors with Auburn using some two-tight end sets.

Wide receiver

Camden Brown, sophomore

Nick Mardner, senior

Wide receiver

Ja’Varrius Johnson, senior

Tar’Varish Dawson Jr., sophomore

Wide receiver

Koy Moore, junior

Malcolm Johnson Jr., junior

The 411: Auburn’s wide receivers were hampered some by injury this spring. Brown was limited due to an ankle while Malcolm Johnson Jr. was sidelined with a collarbone injury. Brown still impressed, and Mardner brought some welcome length to a group that returns its top-two receivers in Ja’Varrius Johnson and Moore. Don’t be surprised if Jay Fair or Landen King make some noise here in the fall, either.

Left tackle

Dillon Wade, junior

Garner Langlo, sophomore

Left guard

Jeremiah Wright, junior

Jalil Irvin, senior

Center

Avery Jones, senior

Connor Lew, freshman

Right guard

Tate Johnson, junior

Kam Stutts, senior

Right tackle

Gunner Britton, senior

Izavion Miller, junior

The 411: Auburn’s three transfer additions (Wade, Jones and Britton) quickly settled into starting roles this spring, with veterans Wright and Johnson typically with them in the first group. Johnson, who dislocated his elbow early in spring but made a surprising return, did not participate on A-Day, making room for impressive freshman Lew to get the starting nod. Lew has some versatility at the interior spots, just as Miller can move around to either tackle or guard spot. Both should be valuable depth pieces along with Stutts.

DEFENSE

Defensive end

Marcus Harris, senior

Jeffrey M’ba, junior

Nose tackle

Jayson Jones, junior

Lawrence Johnson, senior

Defensive tackle

Justin Rogers, junior

Mosiah Nasili-Kite, senior

The 411: Auburn brought in some Power 5 experience to reload the defensive line this offseason, with transfers Rogers, Johnson and Nasili-Kite all working on the two-deep throughout the spring. M’ba settled in at end after moving around some in his first year, while the combination of Jones and Rogers at the two tackle spots provides some serious size on the line for the Tigers.

JACK linebacker

Elijah McAllister, senior

Keldric Faulk, freshman

The 411: A pair of newcomers lead the way at a position of need for Auburn, which is still “deficient in true pass-rushers.” McAllister provides some welcome SEC experience after transferring from Vanderbilt, while Faulk — a true freshman — was one of the biggest standouts of the spring and received some first-team reps on A-Day.

WILL linebacker

Cam Riley, junior

Robert Woodyard Jr., redshirt freshman

MIKE linebacker

Austin Keys, junior

Wesley Steiner, senior

The 411: Keys, an Ole Miss transfer, quickly settled in with the top group alongside returning veteran Riley, while Steiner and redshirt freshman Woodyard were the typical second pairing in Auburn’s linebacker rotation this spring. Even with the designations between the first- and second-teamers here, expect much more rotation at linebacker this season.

Cornerback

Nehemiah Pritchett, senior

Kayin Lee, freshman

Cornerback

D.J. James, senior

J.D. Rhym, sophomore

The 411: Auburn was thin at corner this spring despite bringing back starters James and Pritchett. Rhym was sidelined with a lower-body injury for much of the spring, while Lee — a freshman early enrollee — really turned some heads and will be counted on right off the bat this fall.

STAR

Keionte Scott, junior

Donovan Kaufman, junior

The 411: Scott and Kaufman have been “1A and 1B” at the STAR/nickel role in Roberts’ defense, while others like Caleb Wooden and Austin Ausberry also got reps there this spring.

Safety

Jaylin Simpson, senior

Cayden Bridges, sophomore

Safety

Zion Puckett, senior

Marquise Gilbert, junior

The 411: Simpson and Puckett seem to have the top spots shored up, while Gilbert and Bridges were the typical second group at safety. Auburn could still add another player in the transfer portal, but the back end should remain a strength this season.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Kicker

Alex McPherson, redshirt freshman

Evan McGuire, sophomore

Punter

Oscar Chapman, senior

Daniel Perez, redshirt freshman

The 411: McPherson is taking over the full-time kicking job after stepping in late last season for the injured Anders Carlson, while Chapman is back for his fourth year as the Tigers’ starting punter. He really impressed Freeze with his punting during special teams period before the official start of A-Day.

Kick returners

Brian Battie, junior AND Keionte Scott, junior

Ja’Varrius Johnson, senior AND Jay Fair, sophomore

Punt returner

Keionte Scott, junior

The 411: We didn’t get to see much in terms of kick and punt returns this spring, but Battie should be a lock on kick returns considering he was a consensus All-American in that role at USF in 2021. Hunter was Auburn’s top kick returner last season, but with him stepping into the lead role at running back, don’t count on him pulling double duty. Johnson and Scott both have punt return experience at Auburn and could easily handle that this fall.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

• Thanks 1

Dodged a bullet with this one I believe!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Projecting Auburn football’s 2023 post-spring depth chart

Published: Apr. 10, 2023, 7:05 a.m.

8–10 minutes

Hugh Freeze jumped on the headset in the waning moments of his first A-Day game as Auburn’s head coach and presented an option to his coordinators, Philip Montgomery and Ron Roberts.

With the defense clinging to a 24-21 lead late in the third quarter — the final period of a weather-shortened scrimmage — Freeze asked the pair if they wanted to line it up with the starters for a winner-take-all final play from the 3-yard line. There was a long pause on the headsets before Freeze prodded for a response from the two veteran coordinators.

Read more Auburn football: Which recruits attended A-Day, and could a commitment be coming soon?

T.J. Finley addresses future amid uncertain quarterback situation after A-Day

Hugh Freeze wants to address these five positions in the spring transfer portal window

They ultimately decided to punt — or, well, kick. They didn’t want to go for the win, instead opting to let kicker Alex McPherson attempt a walk-off, 33-yard field goal. McPherson drilled the kick, and A-Day ended in a 24-24 tie in which everyone went home a winner. Steak dinners for all.

“Happy with the way it ended,” Freeze said afterward.

And just like that, Auburn’s first spring of Freeze’s tenure culminated on the rain-soaked field at Jordan-Hare Stadium. The Tigers held 15 practices over the course of six weeks as Freeze and his staff worked to install their systems and their culture, as well as evaluate the program in the early stages of this new era on the Plains.

While Freeze said at the onset of spring practices at the end of February that there wouldn’t be a depth chart this spring, AL.com has put together a projected post-spring two-deep for the Tigers. This depth chart is based on observations from open periods of practice over the last six weeks, as well as information gathered from speaking with coaches and players over the course of the spring season.

Here’s where we see things standing entering the summer:

OFFENSE

Quarterback

Robby Ashford, sophomore

T.J. Finley, junior OR Holden Geriner, redshirt freshman

The 411: The quarterback competition is far from over, but Ashford appears to be the frontrunner. He opened spring as the first quarterback in the rotation, and he closed it as the first on the field with the starting offense on A-Day.

Running back

Jarquez Hunter, junior

Damari Alston, sophomore OR Brian Battie, junior

The 411: Auburn has to feel good about its running back room after the offense rushed for 292 sack-adjusted yards and averaged 6 yards per attempt on A-Day. Hunter is poised to take the lead role after Tank Bigsby’s departure, while Alston and Battie should both have roles in the offense.

Tight end

Rivaldo Fairweather, junior

Luke Deal, senior OR Tyler Fromm, senior

The 411: Fairweather, a transfer from FIU, has been a revelation this spring. He’s a big-bodied, 6-foot-4 weapon with an impressive catch radius and athleticism that should help expand Auburn’s passing game. It’s a deep tight end room, and veterans like Deal and Fromm will be factors with Auburn using some two-tight end sets.

Wide receiver

Camden Brown, sophomore

Nick Mardner, senior

Wide receiver

Tar’Varish Dawson Jr., sophomore

Wide receiver

Koy Moore, junior

Malcolm Johnson Jr., junior

The 411: Auburn’s wide receivers were hampered some by injury this spring. Brown was limited due to an ankle while Malcolm Johnson Jr. was sidelined with a collarbone injury. Brown still impressed, and Mardner brought some welcome length to a group that returns its top-two receivers in Ja’Varrius Johnson and Moore. Don’t be surprised if Jay Fair or Landen King make some noise here in the fall, either.

Left tackle

Dillon Wade, junior

Garner Langlo, sophomore

Left guard

Jeremiah Wright, junior

Jalil Irvin, senior

Center

Avery Jones, senior

Connor Lew, freshman

Right guard

Tate Johnson, junior

Kam Stutts, senior

Right tackle

Gunner Britton, senior

Izavion Miller, junior

The 411: Auburn’s three transfer additions (Wade, Jones and Britton) quickly settled into starting roles this spring, with veterans Wright and Johnson typically with them in the first group. Johnson, who dislocated his elbow early in spring but made a surprising return, did not participate on A-Day, making room for impressive freshman Lew to get the starting nod. Lew has some versatility at the interior spots, just as Miller can move around to either tackle or guard spot. Both should be valuable depth pieces along with Stutts.

DEFENSE

Defensive end

Marcus Harris, senior

Jeffrey M’ba, junior

Nose tackle

Jayson Jones, junior

Lawrence Johnson, senior

Defensive tackle

Justin Rogers, junior

Mosiah Nasili-Kite, senior

The 411: Auburn brought in some Power 5 experience to reload the defensive line this offseason, with transfers Rogers, Johnson and Nasili-Kite all working on the two-deep throughout the spring. M’ba settled in at end after moving around some in his first year, while the combination of Jones and Rogers at the two tackle spots provides some serious size on the line for the Tigers.

JACK linebacker

Elijah McAllister, senior

Keldric Faulk, freshman

The 411: A pair of newcomers lead the way at a position of need for Auburn, which is still “deficient in true pass-rushers.” McAllister provides some welcome SEC experience after transferring from Vanderbilt, while Faulk — a true freshman — was one of the biggest standouts of the spring and received some first-team reps on A-Day.

WILL linebacker

Cam Riley, junior

Robert Woodyard Jr., redshirt freshman

MIKE linebacker

Austin Keys, junior

Wesley Steiner, senior

The 411: Keys, an Ole Miss transfer, quickly settled in with the top group alongside returning veteran Riley, while Steiner and redshirt freshman Woodyard were the typical second pairing in Auburn’s linebacker rotation this spring. Even with the designations between the first- and second-teamers here, expect much more rotation at linebacker this season.

Cornerback

Nehemiah Pritchett, senior

Kayin Lee, freshman

Cornerback

D.J. James, senior

J.D. Rhym, sophomore

The 411: Auburn was thin at corner this spring despite bringing back starters James and Pritchett. Rhym was sidelined with a lower-body injury for much of the spring, while Lee — a freshman early enrollee — really turned some heads and will be counted on right off the bat this fall.

STAR

Keionte Scott, junior

Donovan Kaufman, junior

The 411: Scott and Kaufman have been “1A and 1B” at the STAR/nickel role in Roberts’ defense, while others like Caleb Wooden and Austin Ausberry also got reps there this spring.

Safety

Jaylin Simpson, senior

Cayden Bridges, sophomore

Safety

Zion Puckett, senior

Marquise Gilbert, junior

The 411: Simpson and Puckett seem to have the top spots shored up, while Gilbert and Bridges were the typical second group at safety. Auburn could still add another player in the transfer portal, but the back end should remain a strength this season.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Kicker

Alex McPherson, redshirt freshman

Evan McGuire, sophomore

Punter

Oscar Chapman, senior

Daniel Perez, redshirt freshman

The 411: McPherson is taking over the full-time kicking job after stepping in late last season for the injured Anders Carlson, while Chapman is back for his fourth year as the Tigers’ starting punter. He really impressed Freeze with his punting during special teams period before the official start of A-Day.

Kick returners

Brian Battie, junior AND Keionte Scott, junior

Ja’Varrius Johnson, senior AND Jay Fair, sophomore

Punt returner

Keionte Scott, junior

The 411: We didn’t get to see much in terms of kick and punt returns this spring, but Battie should be a lock on kick returns considering he was a consensus All-American in that role at USF in 2021. Hunter was Auburn’s top kick returner last season, but with him stepping into the lead role at running back, don’t count on him pulling double duty. Johnson and Scott both have punt return experience at Auburn and could easily handle that this fall.

REALLY want someone to step and be a weapon as a returner, especially punt returner.   

• Like 1