• Like 1

long version.............

Live Updates: Hugh Freeze post A-Day press conference

Updated: Apr. 08, 2023, 2:45 p.m.|

Published: Apr. 08, 2023, 2:34 p.m.

NEW!

By

Nubyjas Wilborn | nwilborn@al.com

We’re live in the media room under Jordan-Hare Stadium for Hugh Freeze’s press conference to recap the 2023 A-Day scrimmage. Alex McPherson hit a 33-yard field goal at the buzzer on a windy and rainy Saturday to finish the game with a 24-24 tie.

Auburn’s defense started with 24 points and the offense had to catch up. Robby Ashford scored the first touchdown on a designed quarterback run. Running back Justin Jones had a touchdown. Evan McGuire hit a 19-yard field goal. McPherson also had a 39-yarder.

The game was abbreviated because of continuous rain showers on a day that felt more like a late October or early November game rather than a spring game. Freeze will address the team’s progress. We’ll have updates here on AL.com/Auburnfootball.

-- Freeze opened the press conference by thanking the fans and the Tiger band for showing up. Auburn announced an attendance of over 16,000 fans, despite the cold and rainy day.

-- Freeze says he feels about the quarterback position now than he did 15 days ago before spring camp. He also said there’s a lot more that needs to happen before fall camp when it comes to picking a quarterback.

-- “I don’t know if anyone’s really challenged him like I did this Spring,” Freeze on Robby Ashford’s progress. “I thought he threw a really good seam ball in those conditions.”

-- “Overall, we’re running the ball fairly well, and getting the dirty yards from our backs,” Freez on the running game improving.

-- “Damari Alston, I didn’t give enough credit to him coming into this job. But he’s had one heck of a spring for us,” Freeze on Alston, who had 43 yards on five touches.

-- Hugh Freeze says he’s open to taking players from the portal, including the quarterback position.

“We are open to any position who might fit within our team and the culture, and that includes the quarterback position...I think competition is helpful”- Freeze on the transfer portal.

-- “Im cautiously optimistic that we’re gonna have a decent offensive line, in this league, you can have a decent one and still look bad at times.” - Freeze on the offensive line.

i will post the video when it hits youtube.

The next window to add transfers opens from April 15-30.

SHORT VERSION..............

• aubiefifty changed the title to 2023 A-day Stuff