Wes Flannigan

bigbird

2 minutes ago, aucosby said:

AF gone as well? 

Not yet. Per Jeffrey Lee, he’s considering between going overseas, Auburn, and Ole Miss.

8 minutes ago, Sani-Freeze said:

Is this just a lateral move? I don't get it.

Not sure, but Wes has spent the last two weeks in Oxford with Beard so at the very worst, he is mentally checked out from Auburn, while the rest of our coaches were recruiting in the portal.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Time to promote Zep

Better is coming 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Sani-Freeze said:

I don't get it either, unless they have out-bid us with NIL money. This sucks any way you cut it.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

I don't get it either, unless they have out-bid us with NIL money. This sucks any way you cut it.

This is just a guess,  but maybe it was time for a change for both parties

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Why?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Why?

Because he's a good player. Auburn stuck with him through a full year and a half of rehab. He should be still better next season. Brings to mind an old Sonny Boy Williamson song "Fattening Frogs for Snakes".

34 minutes ago, Sani-Freeze said:

From what I have read the speculation is Beard won’t be at Ole Miss very long and Flannigan has HC aspirations and he knows he won’t inherit the Auburn program when Pearl retires. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Because he's a good player. Auburn stuck with him through a full year and a half of rehab. He should be still better next season. Brings to mind an old Sonny Boy Williamson song "Fattening Frogs for Snakes".

You were talking about Cardwell. I thought you were talking about Wes. Thanks

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not sure, but Wes has spent the last two weeks in Oxford with Beard so at the very worst, he is mentally checked out from Auburn, while the rest of our coaches were recruiting in the portal.

Any speculation on why he wanted to leave his alma mater so bad?

18 minutes ago, bigbird said:

You were talking about Cardwell. I thought you were talking about Wes. Thanks

This thread is about Flannigan. What makes you think I was talking about any player other than Flannigan?

• Dislike 2

24 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Any speculation on why he wanted to leave his alma mater so bad?

@abw0004 look up a few posts to girl’s post.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

Especially on defense. Ole Miss got better by hiring Beard.

Yep! the sec is only getting tougher now. Wait till Texas get added to the schedule GAH 

• Like 2

Best of luck to Wes. I personally think this is a great move for him. Back with a coach he’s previously worked for, realized his dream of coaching his son at AU and had (by our standards) massive success, and now he gets to move on and further strengthen his resume while trying to land a big time HC job. My question to anyone questioning his move is why? He’s checked off all the boxes and does anyone really think he would named AU HC anytime soon? And with Pearl Junior always on staff? Nah, he’s got to move on for a chance to reach his goals. 

• Like 2

Auburn assistant Wes Flanigan leaving for Ole Miss

46 minutes ago

Auburn men's basketball assistant coach Wes Flanigan is expected to move on and take a similar role on Chris Beard's staff at Ole Miss, a source confirmed to Auburn Undercover on Saturday. Flanigan has been an assistant coach on Bruce Pearl's staff since April of 2018, when he was hired a month after being fired as head coach of Little Rock.

Flanigan worked under Beard at Little Rock as an assistant from 2015-'16 before Beard departed for Texas Tech.

Before coaching, Flanigan played his college ball at Auburn from 1993-'97, earning All-SEC honors as a junior under Cliff Ellis. He finished his Auburn playing career with 1,228 points and 573 assists. From there, Flanigan got his start in coaching as an assistant at Northwest Mississippi Community College in 2000. He went on to coach at Little Rock for two different stints, UAB as an assistant, Nebraska as an assistant and Mississippi State as an assistant.

Shortly after joining Auburn's staff as an assistant, Flanigan's son Allen signed in the Class of 2019 as a 3-star recruit. Allen has not announced his plan for next season, as he currently weighs whether or not to return to Auburn, enter the NBA Draft process or enter the transfer portal with one year of eligibility remaining.

During the 2021 season, Flanigan served as the interim head coach for the Nebraska win as Pearl served a suspension.

19COMMENTS

The Auburn assistant coaching staff is now composed of Steven Pearl and Ira Bowman, with a slot open for Bruce Pearl to fill this offseason. 

Auburn Undercover will continue to update this story.

44 minutes ago, Mikey said:

This thread is about Flannigan. What makes you think I was talking about any player other than Flannigan?

Well, first because it is titled with his dad's name, Wes. Secondly, Allen hasn't been mentioned anywhere. However, Cardwell was. So of the two names being talked about, you chose neither and looked great doing it. Thanks.

My apologies for thinking you were following the conversation.

• Haha 6

24 minutes ago, DAG said:

This thread is about a basketball coach, right ?

Yes