4/8/23 Football Articles

aubiefifty

saturdaydownsouth.com

Hugh Freeze shares his ‘expectations’ for Auburn in 2023

Spenser Davis
~3 minutes

Hugh Freeze isn’t setting a high bar for his 1st season with the Tigers, but he is laying out clear expectations for what he wants the program to be in 2023.

While speaking with ESPN’s Heather Dinich on Friday, Freeze said his expectation is for fans to be “excited” about the improvement they see on the field.

“I expect our fans to be excited about the improvement they see,” Freeze said. “What does that mean at the end of the season on the record side? I have no clue. We’re still young in our journey here. I’m still figuring out names.”

I asked @CoachHughFreeze what fair expectations are this season. “I expect our fans to be excited about the improvement they see. What does that mean at the end of the season on the record side? I have no clue. We’re still young in our journey here. I’m still figuring out names.”

— Heather Dinich (@CFBHeather) April 7, 2023

Auburn is coming off of a 5-7 season that saw the Tigers miss a bowl game for the 1st time in a decade. Year 1 under Freeze could be a difficult one as he looks to rebuild Auburn’s program.

However, Freeze has pulled off impressive turnarounds before. In 2012, he inherited an Ole Miss program that was 2-10 prior to his arrival. Freeze led the Rebels to 4 straight bowl appearances, including a 7-6 records in Year 1.

Auburn will play its annual spring game on Saturday.

si.com

2023 Auburn football A-Day schedule

Lance Dawe
~2 minutes

There's a lot going on during Auburn's 2023 A-Day weekend.

Auburn's 2023 spring game will be a little different from others.

First-year head coach Hugh Freeze has decided to change the scoring format for this year's A-Day, as well as the overall scrimmage time.

READ: Auburn football's A-Day to feature different scoring rules

The schedule for A-Day is packed, with a variety of things happening before the Tigers kick things off at 1:20 p.m - including the unveiling of Frank Thomas' statue.

Here's a look at the entire day's schedule:

A-Day Schedule:

9 a.m. - Vault Pop-Up Shop Opens (Plainsman Park Parking Lot)

10 a.m. - Frank Thomas Statue Unveiling (Tiger Walk Club, Third Floor) On To Victory Player Meet & Greet (Old Indoor FB Practice Facility)

11 a.m. - Jordan-Hare Stadium gates open Coca-Cola Fan Zone opens (Jordan-Hare Stadium, East Concourse)

11:05 a.m. - Alumni Flag Football Game (Jordan-Hare Stadium)

11:30 a.m. - Tiger Walk

12:30 p.m. - Eagle Flight (Jordan-Hare Stadium)

1:20 p.m. - A-Day Game begins

theplainsman.com

Auburn linebacker room adding power to new defense - The Auburn Plainsman

5–6 minutes

Head coach Hugh Freeze has been honest with his impression of his players this spring. Freeze expressed concern for the quarterback and wide receiver rooms, but the linebacker room has impressed Freeze the most this spring. 

“That’s actually one group where I felt like we’ve improved ourselves from practice one to practice six. I don’t feel as good about some other groups like I feel about that one,” Freeze said. 

Freeze announced Josh Aldridge as Auburn’s next linebackers coach. Aldridge spent the last four seasons with Freeze at Liberty and announced some changes he wants to install at Auburn – playing five or six linebackers and rotating them out during games. 

“It’s always fun to just see how coaches coach and, you know, draw comparisons to things I’ve learned in the past. I think it’s been good learning new stuff so far with the new coaches,” said senior linebacker Wesley Steiner. “There’s not much more you can do, you know, once you learn the concepts, you shouldn’t have a problem adapting to any new situation, and that goes from high school, college and beyond.”

Although Auburn football has undergone a massive change in leadership, the players haven’t seen a noticeable difference in the game’s mechanics. 

“I don’t see a big difference in the change of scheme, but that could also be the way I looked at the concepts. I don’t see it much differently,” Steiner said. “It’s just the way we kind of speak it. Obviously, there’s a few things that are a little different, but just for me, concept-wise, I think things are the same, so it’s not too hard to learn.”

Over spring ball, the offense and defense have had several chances to face each other, and so far, the defense has dominated that matchup, although the offense has had its moments according to Freeze. These scrimmages allowed all of the linebackers a chance at each position. 

“We have a very fluid depth chart, so I’ve been all over the place – I’ve been with the ones, been with twos and been with threes,” Steiner said. “Everyone’s gotten reps… For most of spring, the defense has been pretty dominant for the most part.”

Although the Tigers lost Owen Pappoe to the NFL Draft, Auburn added key defensive players to its roster. 

The Tigers picked up junior Austin Keys this offseason from Ole Miss. The 6-foot-2, 235-pound linebacker adds years of SEC experience and physicality to the linebacker room along with “consistency.”

“He brings a great approach to just kind of accepting coaching as it comes,” Steiner said. “I think he does a great job of just taking coaching as we get it. That’s been something that we’ve been harping on in the room — just hearing the message, not the tone. Everyone knows coaching can get a little heated sometimes, but Austin’s done a good job of just taking coaching and just being consistent.”

Auburn also added LSU transfer, DeMario Tolan. Although Tolan played every game at LSU as a freshman, the former four-star linebacker is still learning the concepts because he’s a young guy. 

“I’ve definitely seen DeMario grow. There’s no question about that. He reminds me a lot of how I was when I got here,” Steiner said. “Just knowing that I struggled, it gives me more confidence that you know, even when these guys are struggling, he’s gonna get it because I got through it, and I’m here to help them. I have seen his growth, and I’m excited to see how far he will grow.”

Freshman Robert Woodyard Jr. was the highest-rated signee in the Tiger’s class of 2022. Woodyard saw some action last fall, but he has developed his skillset a bit more this spring. 

“I’ve enjoyed watching Robert grow so far, and I’m pretty confident, you know, once all the older guys leave, if he stays, I think that the defense will be in a good place," Steiner said. "I think he’s grown physically. He’s matured as a man, and I think that’s helped him on the football field and I’m excited for the future.”

Enjoy what you're reading? Get content from The Auburn Plainsman delivered to your inbox

Do you like this story? The Plainsman doesn't accept money from tuition or student fees, and we don't charge a subscription fee. But you can donate to support The Plainsman.

Caitlyn Griffin | Sports Writer

Caitlyn Griffin is a freshman from Huntsville, Ala. majoring in journalism. She started with The Plainsman in fall 2022. 

Twitter: @caitlyngrif99

• Thanks 1

247sports.com

Our MVP picks for Auburn's 2023 spring game

Nathan King
7–9 minutes

A-Day is almost here, and Auburn’s annual spring game will have a much different look than seasons past.

Hugh Freeze broke down the format some earlier in the week before the program shared complete details on social media Thursday: The scoreboard will start with 24 points, and the offense has a quarter-less 60 minutes — with a running clock — to hit that number and be proclaimed the winners. If it doesn't, the defense wins.

While Auburn’s coaches were pleased with the team’s progress in a number of areas through the five weeks of practice, Freeze wants to set proper expectations for the fanbase that, at the end of the day, it’s only a scrimmage, and what they see Saturday afternoon (1 p.m. CST, SEC Network+) won’t reflect the product they should expect from the team this fall. And that’s not to mention the forecast of rain throughout the day that could limit the Tigers’ offense.

“Unrealistic expectations lead to frustration,” Freeze said Monday. “And so I just don't want anybody to be frustrated. … They're going to see us hit and they're going to see us tackle, and they're going to see people run the ball and people throw the ball. Will it be exactly the same that they see this fall? I sure hope not. I hope it's better and probably a little different.”

With the action inside Jordan-Hare Stadium set to bring Auburn’s 15 spring practices to a close, here’s who our staff will be watching as contenders to win the annual A-Day MVP awards on offense and defense — special teams almost always goes to the kicker, so early congratulations to Evan McPherson) — along with some other thoughts on what to expect from the spring game.

OFFENSIVE MVP

Jason’s pick: RB Damari Alston

“Over the years I would say that running backs would be the guys that have a great chance to win a spring game MVP and I just don’t see Jarquez Hunter getting a lot of action in this one. Alston is a guy that got a few touches last season, but I think the coaches would like to see him really turn it loose and find out what he can do in that situation. Because of that I’ll go with Alston to take home the honors on offense.”

Nathan’s pick: TE Rivaldo Fairweather

“It’s obviously tempting to go with a tailback — seeing how the simplicity of the running game usually lends itself to a more productive spring game, as compared to the passing attack — but I’ll spice things up and pick the player Freeze called Auburn’s most consistent pass-catcher, regardless of prediction. The 6-foot-4, 251-pound transfer from FIU has been every bit as advertised in terms of his athleticism and versatility, and with the Tigers’ receiving corps unsteady for most of the spring, I’ll predict Auburn’s QBs will look Fairweather’s way often whenever they go to the air.”

Christian’s pick: RB Brian Battie

“I'd be tempted to go with a quarterback here, but the rain really limits my thought about that. Because of that, I'm also going to pass on taking a receiver or tight end. So, to running back we go. I'll take the USF transfer Battie as my offensive MVP. I really like Alston and almost went with him, but Battie's speed and playmaking ability is a little too much to pass on here. As offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery described it, Battie has the ability as a smaller back to almost get lost or hide behind the offensive linemen. I'll predict him to rip off a big touchdown run and that cements his MVP status.”

DEFENSIVE MVP

Jason’s pick: LB Powell Gordon

“It’s tough to win on defense for anyone in the secondary unless the team is throwing the ball a ton, so I’ll go with Gordon. I could see him making some plays off the edge for the Tigers and getting plenty of work in this game. He’s not going to be a starter and may not play much at all with the first defense, but I have seen Gordon in action and if he gets some opportunities to rush the passer, he could be a breakout performer.”

Nathan’s pick: DE Jeffrey M'ba

“Given the rainy conditions expected Saturday afternoon, I’ll go with a player from the defensive front. Formerly the No. 1 overall JUCO recruit in the country, M’ba said he’s found a home at defensive end this spring, and feels much more comfortable at that position than he did bouncing around the defensive line last season. He’s an ulta-athletic force who can get involved in the ground game as well as rush the passer. I’ll also give a nod to safety Jaylin Simpson, who would have been my next selection here. I can certainly see an errant pass coming his way in the secondary.”

Christian’s pick: CB Kayin Lee

“He's gotten so much hype throughout spring practice and I think it'll carry over to A-Day: Give me the true freshman corner Lee as my defensive MVP. With Auburn's receiving corps a little battered this spring and still a lot of questions at quarterback mixed with the rain, I think Lee can make a couple of plays or snag an interception. I also really toyed with Simpson back at safety, but I'll roll with Lee. For me, I just think with this format one quarterback is going to get sped up a little bit and force a pass they don't need to and make a mistake.”

WHO ARE YOU EXCITED TO WATCH?

Jason: “I’m really excited to see the newcomers on the lines of scrimmage on both offense and defense. I have heard a lot about Dillon Wade, so watching him at left tackle and seeing how he handles himself is going to be one thing for me. Another is going to be Keldric Faulk. He’s big and athletic, but I’m anxious to see him in one-on-one situations and if he can create pressure off the edge. Another one for me is Robert Woodyard. I almost went with him for my defensive MVP and I could see him having a big day.”

Nathan: “Aside from the obvious answer of the quarterbacks, the O-linemen won’t receive as much individual attention in a scrimmage like this, but I’m still looking forward to observing some flashes of how this group has gelled together with the three transfer additions. There also might be some added intrigue if Jeremiah Wright, who’s been in a non-contact jersey all spring, is supplanted in the starting lineup during A-Day. On defense, the freshman duo of Faulk at jack linebacker and Lee at cornerback have received more than their fair share of praise this spring. Even in a spring game, you can often tell who looks like an SEC-caliber player among the youngsters.”

Christian: “Definitely Fairweather is one. He got a ton of hype transferring from FIU and so far, it seems like he's been worth every bit of it. Freeze and Ben Aigamaua had success with Evan Engram, and he wasn't a highly-touted recruit by any means. Fairweather is still young in football, but he's got some years of college football under his belt and can be a real playmaker for this team. I'll cheat a little and say the offensive line as a whole, too. For the first time in a long time, Auburn has a chance to have an above average offensive line. Last pick is Faulk, for obvious reasons. He absolutely looks the part, has seemingly played the part this spring and I'm excited to see what he brings on Saturday.”

FAN VOTE (polled from Auburn Undercover subs and Twitter)

Offensive MVP

1. RB Damari Alston

2. RB Jarquez Hunter

3. WR Camden Brown

4. QB Holden Geriner

5. TE Rivaldo Fairweather

Defensive MVP

1. LB Robert Woodyard

2. JACK Keldric Faulk

3. DE Jeffrey M’ba

4. LB DeMario Tolan

5. CB Kayin Lee

">247Sports
  • Thanks 1

3 positions that may need a boost for Auburn’s defense after A-Day

Updated: Apr. 07, 2023, 10:02 a.m.|Published: Apr. 07, 2023, 6:02 a.m.
4–5 minutes

Auburn is just a day away from Hugh Freeze’s first A-Day as Tigers head coach. Freeze will lead his squad through a 60-minute scrimmage with a running clock. It’ll be offense versus defense, like most of the spring games that take place during this time of year. However, there is a twist unlike many that will take place.

The defense will start with a 24-0 lead, with the offense having to make plays to get back into the game, and possibly win it.

“I don’t know if I’m making sense, but for the spring game format, the defense will be giving a selected number of points,” Freeze said to reporters. “I will let our staff decide that, and then I will start drives at various spots and hopefully some end in points. If the defense can hold the offenses to under that point, the defense wins the spring game. And they’ll get to eat steak or something. And the losers will eat a hot dog. Something like that.”

We looked at some questions Auburn fans would want to be answered during A-Day on the offensive side of the ball on Thursday, starting with the quarterback. Now we visit the defense under new defensive coordinator Ron Roberts, who wasn’t shy about setting high expectations for the Tigers.

Here’s a look at three positions that may need an upgrade following A-Day.

Read More Auburn Football: 3 Questions about Auburn’s offense for Hugh Freeze entering A-Day

Ole Miss transfer Austin Keys ‘everything’ Auburn thought he’d be at linebacker

Hugh Freeze: Jarquez Hunter ‘probably the best running back I’ve ever coached’

“We’re at Auburn, and I expect us to be a top-20 defense in the country,” Roberts said. “We need to do that. How we get that done is that we get the guys in the right spot, playing assignment football, playing disciplined football, being mentally tough, being physically tough, doing all the things that we got to do right. I always believe is you set the standard, and then guys rise to that standard. We’re at Auburn and there’s certain expectations you’re going put on the helmet. That’s what it should be like, and you should expect to perform at that level.”

Cornerbacks

D.J. James, Nehemiah Pritchett, and J.D. Rhym are an experienced group. However, there isn’t much left after those players. Rhym missed most of spring practice with an undisclosed injury. His absence left the Tigers with three scholarship corners for spring football.

“Yeah, we really don’t have a lot of corners right now. Just number-wise, on the team, we don’t have them. I think we’ve got three scholarship corners going,” Roberts said. “The three that can go are going to be able to go. Yeah, we really don’t have a lot of corners right now. Just number-wise, on the team, we don’t have them. I think we’ve got three scholarship corners going. ... The three that can go are going to be able to go.”

Expect Auburn to be active in the portal with the spring window open from April 15-30, less than a week after the spring game. The Tigers did sign JC Hart, Colton Hood, and Tyler Scott for the 2023 signing class, all of whom will arrive in the fall.

Edge

Losing Derick Hall, Eku Leota, and Marcus Bragg left Freeze with a pass-rusher shortage. Freshman Keldric Faulk and Vanderbilt transfer Elijah McAllister add depth and talent. However, a team can never have enough guys to pressure opposing quarterbacks.

Dylan Brooks redshirted in 2021 and saw action in nine games with six tackles and a sack last season. Brooks is the only scholarship edge rusher to return to the team. Auburn will explore the portal for more pass-rushers once the window opens.

“We’re not where we need to be in rushing the passer,” Freeze said. “We certainly will improve our guys, but we’ve got to get better at that spot, for sure. At all spots, but we’ve got to get better. We’re deficient in true pass-rushers currently.”

Safety

Donovan Kaufman, Marquise Gilbert, Zion Puckett, Cayden Bridges, and Marquise Gilbert have lots of experience playing quality football. However, similarly to the cornerbacks, there isn’t a lot of players with game action behind them.

Can Auburn find more help for the safety group in the portal? We’ll find out.

Nubyjas Wilborn covers Auburn for Alabama Media Group.

auburnwire.usatoday.com

A-Day 2023: Daniel Locke's top 10 players to watch this Saturday

Daniel Locke
5–6 minutes

Auburn football is one day away from having an opportunity to showcase what they have been working on during spring practice.

There are a lot of new faces and storylines that have they eyes of the college football world on Auburn, Alabama. From first-year head coach Hugh Freeze, to the new transfers and recruits, there is a lot to talk about.

Buy Tigers Tickets

This prompted Auburn Wire writers Taylor Jones, J.D. McCarthy and Daniel Locke to list the 10 players they are paying the most attention to on Saturday.

Taylor Jones listed his players on Wednesday and J.D. McCarthy went on Thursday. Now it is Daniel Locke’s turn.

Here are the 10 players that Daniel Locke will be keeping an eye on during A-Day:

cec476d7cac947c69737277dc58a0546.jpg

Auburn quarterback Robby Ashford rolls out to pass against Missouri during the second half of an NCAA college football game, Saturday, Sept. 24, 2022 in Auburn, Ala. (AP Photo/Butch Dill)

Locke’s input:

Ashford started at quarterback for the Tigers for most of the season last year. He passed for 1,613 yards and seven touchdowns as well as picking up 710 yards and seven touchdowns on the ground. Ashford will be fighting for the QB1 spot again in 2023.

20230315_FB_SpringPractice_Mardner8_AP_1

AUBURN, AL – March 15, 2023 – Auburn Wide Receiver Nick Mardner (#8) during spring practice at the Woltosz Football Performance Center in Auburn, AL.
Photo by Austin Perryman

Locke’s input:

The Cincinnati transfer caught 19 passes for 218 yards in 2022. These numbers won’t jump off a page, but Marnder has a solid build and will likely have a place in the Freeze system.

USATSI_19202278.jpg

Kentucky’s Justin Rogers goes for the fumble against South Carolina.Oct. 8, 2022
Kentuckysc 16

Locke’s input:

The Kentucky transfer is expected to make an immediate difference on Auburn’s defensive line. He will likely see the field a good bit during A-Day.

USATSI_16672401.jpg

Sep 2, 2021; Charlotte, North Carolina, USA; East Carolina Pirates offensive lineman Avery Jones (54) during pregame action against the Appalachian State Mountaineers at Bank of America Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jim Dedmon-USA TODAY Sports

Locke’s input:

Offensive line has been a weak spot for the Tigers for a while now. Freeze has made improving the o-line a priority since arriving in Auburn in December and landing Jones will help achieve that goal.

20230301_FB_SpringPractice_Battie21_AP_1

AUBURN, AL – March 01, 2023 – Auburn Running Back Brian Battie (#21) during spring practice at the Woltosz Football Performance Center in Auburn, AL.
Photo by Austin Perryman

Locke’s input:

Battie earned all-American honors as a kick returner for the South Florida Bulls in 2021. He will likely fill that role for Auburn as well as getting plenty of carries.

121f0ddbfca646c18631f3ab43d0a0ca.jpg

LSU linebacker DeMario Tolan (32) in action during the second half of an NCAA college football game against Southern in Baton Rouge, La., Saturday, Sept. 10, 2022. LSU won 65-17. (AP Photo/Tyler Kaufman)

Locke’s input:

Tolan played in 12 games for LSU last season. He will likely see a lot of playing time as linebacker is one of the biggest question marks for the defense at this point.

USATSI_19516236.jpg

Recruit Kayin Lee visits Ohio Stadium during the Ohio State, Michigan game.
Kayin Lee

Locke’s input:

Lee is expected to be one of the biggest recruits Auburn landed in this class. Ranked as the No. 16 cornerback in the class, Lee is expected to have an immediate impact and that will start tomorrow.

USATSI_17259850-1.jpg

Nov 27, 2021; Huntington, West Virginia, USA; Western Kentucky Hilltoppers offensive lineman Gunner Britton (75) leads the team onto the field prior to their game against the Marshall Thundering Herd at Joan C. Edwards Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Ben Queen-USA TODAY Sports

Locke’s input:

Britton started every game for the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers last season. He is expected to help rebuild the offensive line unit.

20230227_FB_SpringPractice_Wade52_AP_261

AUBURN, AL – February 27, 2023 – Auburn Offensive Lineman Dillon Wade (#52) during spring practice at the Woltosz Football Performance Center in Auburn, AL.
Photo by Austin Perryman

Locke’s input:

Freeze hired former Tulsa head coach Phillip Montgomery to fill the role of offensive coordinator. Montgomery brought Wade with him to help fix the offensive line. It will be interesting to see if that process is on track tomorrow.

20230322_FB_SpringPractice_Fairweather13

AUBURN, AL – March 22, 2023 – Auburn Tight End Rivaldo Fairweather (#13) during spring practice at the Woltosz Football Performance Center in Auburn, AL.
Photo by Austin Perryman

Locke’s input:

Fairweather caught 54 passes for 838 yards and five touchdowns during his time at FIU. Freeze has a history of developing tight ends and it will be interesting to see where Fairweather is at after a few months of working with Freeze.

3 positions that may need a boost for Auburn’s defense after A-Day

Updated: Apr. 07, 2023, 10:02 a.m.|Published: Apr. 07, 2023, 6:02 a.m.
4–5 minutes

Auburn is just a day away from Hugh Freeze’s first A-Day as Tigers head coach. Freeze will lead his squad through a 60-minute scrimmage with a running clock. It’ll be offense versus defense, like most of the spring games that take place during this time of year. However, there is a twist unlike many that will take place.

The defense will start with a 24-0 lead, with the offense having to make plays to get back into the game, and possibly win it.

“I don’t know if I’m making sense, but for the spring game format, the defense will be giving a selected number of points,” Freeze said to reporters. “I will let our staff decide that, and then I will start drives at various spots and hopefully some end in points. If the defense can hold the offenses to under that point, the defense wins the spring game. And they’ll get to eat steak or something. And the losers will eat a hot dog. Something like that.”

We looked at some questions Auburn fans would want to be answered during A-Day on the offensive side of the ball on Thursday, starting with the quarterback. Now we visit the defense under new defensive coordinator Ron Roberts, who wasn’t shy about setting high expectations for the Tigers.

Here’s a look at three positions that may need an upgrade following A-Day.

Read More Auburn Football: 3 Questions about Auburn’s offense for Hugh Freeze entering A-Day

Ole Miss transfer Austin Keys ‘everything’ Auburn thought he’d be at linebacker

Hugh Freeze: Jarquez Hunter ‘probably the best running back I’ve ever coached’

“We’re at Auburn, and I expect us to be a top-20 defense in the country,” Roberts said. “We need to do that. How we get that done is that we get the guys in the right spot, playing assignment football, playing disciplined football, being mentally tough, being physically tough, doing all the things that we got to do right. I always believe is you set the standard, and then guys rise to that standard. We’re at Auburn and there’s certain expectations you’re going put on the helmet. That’s what it should be like, and you should expect to perform at that level.”

Cornerbacks

D.J. James, Nehemiah Pritchett, and J.D. Rhym are an experienced group. However, there isn’t much left after those players. Rhym missed most of spring practice with an undisclosed injury. His absence left the Tigers with three scholarship corners for spring football.

“Yeah, we really don’t have a lot of corners right now. Just number-wise, on the team, we don’t have them. I think we’ve got three scholarship corners going,” Roberts said. “The three that can go are going to be able to go. Yeah, we really don’t have a lot of corners right now. Just number-wise, on the team, we don’t have them. I think we’ve got three scholarship corners going. ... The three that can go are going to be able to go.”

Expect Auburn to be active in the portal with the spring window open from April 15-30, less than a week after the spring game. The Tigers did sign JC Hart, Colton Hood, and Tyler Scott for the 2023 signing class, all of whom will arrive in the fall.

Edge

Losing Derick Hall, Eku Leota, and Marcus Bragg left Freeze with a pass-rusher shortage. Freshman Keldric Faulk and Vanderbilt transfer Elijah McAllister add depth and talent. However, a team can never have enough guys to pressure opposing quarterbacks.

Dylan Brooks redshirted in 2021 and saw action in nine games with six tackles and a sack last season. Brooks is the only scholarship edge rusher to return to the team. Auburn will explore the portal for more pass-rushers once the window opens.

“We’re not where we need to be in rushing the passer,” Freeze said. “We certainly will improve our guys, but we’ve got to get better at that spot, for sure. At all spots, but we’ve got to get better. We’re deficient in true pass-rushers currently.”

Safety

Donovan Kaufman, Marquise Gilbert, Zion Puckett, Cayden Bridges, and Marquise Gilbert have lots of experience playing quality football. However, similarly to the cornerbacks, there isn’t a lot of players with game action behind them.

Can Auburn find more help for the safety group in the portal? We’ll find out.

Nubyjas Wilborn covers Auburn for Alabama Media Group.